Short Version: Alpha Protocol is a Mess! The combat is a chore, the AI is laughable and the game is clearly unfinished with the SLOWEST loading textures I have ever come across! Only the intriguing story, shifting character allegiances and unmatched dialogue system manage to redeem the entire experience for fans of RPG’s & Spy Stories, but only just.
What you’ll Like:
• The Dialogue system is the best of its kind right now. Your choices have actual consequences not superficial ones – completely different responses from NPC’s, bonus missions, and new equipment and favors can all be gained through masterful manipulation.
• The Story was Involving & characters were flavorful – I felt like a Jason Bourne, romancing ladies, hacking computers, and uncovering evil plots.
• Fun reading and replying to spy emails, gathering intel and customizing Weapon & Armor while planning your approach.
• Not all missions involve shooting, some are solely to establish relationships and gather more intel for the future.
What you’ll Hate:
• The AI is EXTREMELY Inconsistent effectively breaking the combat portions of the game. Going from walking targets to hyper sensitive one-hit killers that spam grenades every 3 seconds.
• Pistols and SMGs are so laughably inaccurate even with mods that they are useless.
• Broken Stealth play, and some useless skill trees break the Illusion that you can approach a mission anyway you want. You cant.
• Numerous Bugs & Glitches can break checkpoints and refuse to load the next level.
• Are you serious? At one point it took the game 30+ seconds to load a texture on a simple pistol! And whats with all the blur effects?
Slightly Below Average