Short Version: UFO: Extraterrestrials IS the spiritual successor to the Best Strategy game of its time, X-COM: Enemy Unknown. The “updated” sequel that everyone has been screaming for after 2k Games announced an X-COM FPS. Unfortunately it does very little aside from Tweaks to the A.I., Graphics, and Micromanagement, even reusing/remixing some of the same sounds & music tracks – adding nothing significantly new. Only some repetitive missions and environments take away from an otherwise faithful modern X-COM recreation. Great fun for a formula that’s 14 years old!
What you’ll Like:
• Its a very faithful recreation of the BEST X-COM game, Enemy Unknown.
• New Alien types mixed in with some old recognizable favorites.
• Micromanagement of “Storage space” has been thankfully removed, Re-equipping squads has an auto-option based on last loadout.
• Alien A.I. has been tweaked to be more aggressive, no more hunting for stragglers for hours. The game is hard as a consequence, I recommend playing on easy to fully enjoy it – and even then its still a challenge!
• Best Part: Renaming all my Troops to Channel Awesome Video Producers and getting slaughtered my first time out, only lordkat survived who ran back to the ship and left us to die! Until we win my ass! LOL.
What you’ll Hate:
• Adds absolutely Nothing New! Seriously not even different mission types? Its the same game (aside from new aliens and graphics).
• The Intro and Outro FMV’s are painfully bad, with very little story and fluff aside from the excellent UFO encyclopedia.
• No Tutorial might have newbies to X-COM confused.
• As was released by a smaller company back in 2007, some graphics and design aesthetics are below average, but not game breaking.
Great Game! (*in that it copies original)
X-COM Fan? BUY IT.
The Game can be Purchased on Steam Here!
Looks like it went back up to $20 after July the 4th weekend (2010), however steam always has sales so keep an eye on it.