• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nenga15

Game developing tips

7 posts in this topic

Ive been kinda interested in making some small games/apps and so I bought Multimedia Flash 2 from the humble bundle weekly sale. I was wondering if anyone has some beginner tips & tricks and if they think MMF2 is good for what it is.

I think you already know this but don't expect to make "big" games. I would consider MMF a very introductory program to game development. They have tons of tutorials (hopefully they are not outdated by now) so I would recommend at least going through the general usage and beginner ones, then browse the others to see if there is anything of interest to you covered in those. Don't have any tips per se but if you want to try out some other free game development tools that involve little coding there is Construct 2 and and Stencyl (stencyl uses "puzzle" blocks of code where it's like a putting together a puzzle to introduce you to programming logic), but same as MMF, don't expect to make a killer app/game using these.

Then, there is always Unity. The free version is more than usable and you can learn a lot using it. They recently released their huge "2D" update where they are officially supporting creation of 2D games. Previously you had to kind of use workarounds to create a 2D game. They have some really fantastic tools in there now.

My only real tip, since you were very vague in what you want tips on, would be to just get in there and experiment. If you can and have someone who understands code/logic show them what you have when you run into a problem to see if they can spot it. Sometimes you can be staring at the issue for hours and not even realize it because you're just filtering it out unconsciously.

Nenga15 likes this

I think you already know this but don't expect to make "big" games. I would consider MMF a very introductory program to game development. They have tons of tutorials (hopefully they are not outdated by now) so I would recommend at least going through the general usage and beginner ones, then browse the others to see if there is anything of interest to you covered in those. Don't have any tips per se but if you want to try out some other free game development tools that involve little coding there is Construct 2 and and Stencyl (stencyl uses "puzzle" blocks of code where it's like a putting together a puzzle to introduce you to programming logic), but same as MMF, don't expect to make a killer app/game using these.

Then, there is always Unity. The free version is more than usable and you can learn a lot using it. They recently released their huge "2D" update where they are officially supporting creation of 2D games. Previously you had to kind of use workarounds to create a 2D game. They have some really fantastic tools in there now.

My only real tip, since you were very vague in what you want tips on, would be to just get in there and experiment. If you can and have someone who understands code/logic show them what you have when you run into a problem to see if they can spot it. Sometimes you can be staring at the issue for hours and not even realize it because you're just filtering it out unconsciously.

I just downloaded Stencyl and I'm going through the crash courses on the website right now. I am surprised at how easy this program is! Right now I want to make some small games and try out different genres and see which one I like the most. What I really want to be able to do one day is make a RPG with a bunch of different  quests and dungeons.  Is stencyl good for something like that or would I have to use a different program for that? What to keep my games 2D, 3D seems like it would take more than one person to make.

I just downloaded Stencyl and I'm going through the crash courses on the website right now. I am surprised at how easy this program is! Right now I want to make some small games and try out different genres and see which one I like the most. What I really want to be able to do one day is make a RPG with a bunch of different  quests and dungeons.  Is stencyl good for something like that or would I have to use a different program for that? What to keep my games 2D, 3D seems like it would take more than one person to make.

I haven't used Stencyl or Construct in maybe 2 or more years and the problem I had (aside from the fact that the free version limited you quite a lot if you wanted to make something like an RPG, I think you were only able to have 5 "sheets" max for the code) was that it just couldn't handle all of the graphics on the screen. It really did seem to be made for very simple games. We didn't go crazy and put in a ton of graphics but even then it seemed to be kind of sluggish.

Now I'm sure they have improved that over the past two years but that's the problem me and a friend ran into so we just dropped it to find something more to our needs. It would just lag way too much with the engine drawing all the graphics on screen. If you really want to make a 2D game and have it run smoothly with very very little limitations I would suggest Unity. There aren't too many resources on the new 2D mode and features yet since it was just released but the developers released a pretty good video highlighting a lot of the features and a demo you can mess around with.

3D is definitely more involved depending on what kind of game. You can find free assets like models but you will likely still need to do the animations and that's a whole 'nother beast. You will also most likely have to do the textures and what not. The mechanics of the game though, they aren't terribly different. If you can do it in 2D you can likely do it in 3D as well with a few modifications.

I haven't used Stencyl or Construct in maybe 2 or more years and the problem I had (aside from the fact that the free version limited you quite a lot if you wanted to make something like an RPG, I think you were only able to have 5 "sheets" max for the code) was that it just couldn't handle all of the graphics on the screen. It really did seem to be made for very simple games. We didn't go crazy and put in a ton of graphics but even then it seemed to be kind of sluggish.

Now I'm sure they have improved that over the past two years but that's the problem me and a friend ran into so we just dropped it to find something more to our needs. It would just lag way too much with the engine drawing all the graphics on screen. If you really want to make a 2D game and have it run smoothly with very very little limitations I would suggest Unity. There aren't too many resources on the new 2D mode and features yet since it was just released but the developers released a pretty good video highlighting a lot of the features and a demo you can mess around with.

3D is definitely more involved depending on what kind of game. You can find free assets like models but you will likely still need to do the animations and that's a whole 'nother beast. You will also most likely have to do the textures and what not. The mechanics of the game though, they aren't terribly different. If you can do it in 2D you can likely do it in 3D as well with a few modifications.

Does making Actors/events in unity work the same way in stencyl where you can just drag and drop the code?

Does making Actors/events in unity work the same way in stencyl where you can just drag and drop the code?

Not exactly. Stencyl is much more user friendly and simple to use by far. You will actually need to code things in Unity. You can code behaviours in Unity then drag it on an actor to apply that behaviour to it but it is much more involved than Stencyl. For example you can write out the code for something simple like a health system. You can then drag that "script" on any actor you want to use the health system you just created. The beauty of that is that you can reuse a lot of code if it's created to independently. If you create another game later on that also has some sort of health system you can use that same code in the new game and apply it to whatever you need to use it.

If you're not comfortable with coding I would stick with Stencyl for a while so you can at least get more familiar with the logic behind everything (that's the most important part of coding imo), then when you're comfortable with that you can begin to learn a programming language like C# or whatever you want. C# has the most support in Unity in terms of tutorials and stuff but learning any programming language once you know one shouldn't be that hard. All of the concepts are basically the same it's just the syntax that is different and that you will learn to learn.

If you need tips then you are already on the wrong path!