• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Angry Joe

Angry Joe - How would you make VGX Better?

116 posts in this topic

VGX.png

So the VGX Awards show has just wrapped up!

This year the show was shown online completely without a televised run. It was clearly much smaller in scope, but at the same time felt more up close and personal.

My opinion? Tons and tons of thoughts, I'm considering making a VLOG if I can get my hands on some footage of the show.

Basically, it boils down to I liked the new format. Not only is it free from its television overlords and overbearing corporate advertisers, but it felt a lot more gamer-centric. I especially liked the piece on the Kong competition; it even highlighted how games are being played and enjoyed by professional doctors. More of that. There were tons of cool announcements (NoMansSky in particular), and obviously lots of media and trailers which I all liked. 

Joel Mchale as a host seemed very awkward, disinterested, and made a lot of jokes at the expense of what people USED to typically view gamers as---basement dwellers, etc. Some of his material was cringe worthy. Hell, at times I thought that Geoff was going to punch him for all the layers jokes he was making and busting his balls over, lol. I was hoping for a fist fight by the end. You could tell how uncomfortable Joel seemed to be making Geoff at times. Now that would have been something, huh? Lol, anyways.

Its time for the Angry Army to once again come together to help improve something in gaming. I think that Geoff has an incredible opportunity with this new format free from many of his old advertisers and TV contracts. And I think that we can help him make a better show.

In this thread I'd love for you guys to simply write:

1. What you thought worked.
  2. What you thought didn't work.
  3. And what you would like to see in next years show if they move forward!

I still have his personal email address from 2011 that he gave to me when we ran into each other on the floor of E3 and discussed my first rant on his VGA's back in the day. I intend to use it again here to give a focused well put together list of criticism and improvements for his new format going forward!

Lets please use this as an opportunity for CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, if you want to blow off some steam do it in a vlog or in the other VGX thread located HERE!

All of your feedback ill sort through, see things that I perhaps didnt see in my viewing that some of you brought up and include them in the email directly to Geoff Keighley!

IF YOUR POST IS NOT CONSTRUCTIVE and you just say "ITS BAD JOE" and nothing else. It will deleted.

I would have preferred a performance from the games such as "Will the circle be unbroken" Or even something like a combo of all the nominated songs performed together. Then I would have wanted someone who was really passionate about gaming to host like Jack Black. Finally they need to show the awards more and work on their decisions of the winners. How is GTA V losing it's own category and winning GOTY? It doesn't work. I love all the world premieres so keep with those but they need to just build up the rest of the show

1.Even one of the good host's always helps(one was just stupid) interview's with game devs and exclusive footage helped i liked gaming community.

2. A lot of BS chat and silly and uninteresting host with bad humor and not a lot of games and not a lot of big companies did not help show stupid side-shows really stupid and really stupid nominations not with a lot of games to choose from.

3. Good host could be like one from D.I.C.E and inside gaming hosts and more game nominations, more real companies and i want to see crowd ...

Here's mine, Ill begin it. I'll be adding to it, as soon as there's a complete version of the full show re-watchable online.

What I thought Worked:

• There were far fewer people there who weren't legit gamers. Even though Joel Mchale seemed disinterested from what I know he actually does play and enjoy games, I'm not really sure why his material was written in a way where he seemed to distant and like an outsider looking in.
  • There were far less obtrusive advertisements. There wasn't any "MOUNTAIN DEW AWARD PRESENTED BY DORITOS OF MOUNTAIN DEW FLAVOR GREATEST INDIE GAME AWARD" categories. There seemed like there were less TV people and advertisers to have to please. I liked this. Aside form the Teen Wolf ad which was so quick (and honestly they do have to pay the bills somehow) I felt this was handled better than any previous year.
  • I liked how it was a relaxed environment, up-close around a couch just showcasing games and speaking with developers.
  • The VGA's have always been alright with their trailers and reveals, I thought this continued here. I'm especially excited about Titanfall, Witcher 3, Destiny, The Division, and the Surprise Announcement No Man's Sky - I MUST know more. 
  •  

What I thought Didn't Work:

• Too many of the companies that they brought refused to give details. We have to find a way to get them to allow more substantial information so that its not just peptalk. Give us dates, give us details, give us exclusives. Find the companies that are willing to do this to include alongside the major players who just never will.
  • The Host. Joel Mchale & Geoff Keighley's Chemistry - Not good. Joel was mostly annoying through the whole thing, there was no passion, there seemed to be no excitement, the sarcastic jokes just didnt feel appropriate for the 3 hour long show. I wanted it to stop, and thats not good. Perhaps let Geoff host himself and lean more on the excited developers themselves giving them more time to talk about the games themselves rather than lame pre-written host joke segments.
  • The show is starting to feel like its spending too much time with stuff we know about and not enough time in discovering new games, either smaller games, indie games or just unknown games that have a large niche following, showing off more of these types of games lends well to a discovery type feeling. It worked out for No Mans Sky, it can work for others as well.
  •  

What I'd like to see more of:

• Playing into the relaxed feel. I would have more of the developers actually play their games, showing off new demo builds if possible.
  • More segments like that Kong Competition, that was both fun, inspiring, real and felt relevant to how gamer's actually are in real life. Doctors, Body builders, competitive but yet friendly and apart of the same group.
  • Instead of 30 second or less reveals like Witcher 3, lets see longer trailers or even better exclusive playthroughs like what they did for Dying Light. I went from seeing that game as a Dead Island sequel (ho-hum excitment) to looking at it more like a parkour heavy, assassin's creed verticality, mirror's edge with zombies, improved dead island stuff excited. Why - because we got significant time with it, and they actually showed something substantial.
  •  

1. Streaming it: the ability to swear and not censor M-rated content was a plus. I enjoyed not having the limitations of a later and shorter broadcast and televised censorship. The other plus for me was getting some of the creators from the internet to come and show some of their videos. While not all of these people are well liked (Pewdiepie, Smosh) I still felt it at least hinted at the ability the show had to celebrate the community of gaming, even though it wasn't used to its full potential. 

2. Hosts. While I get that these people try, it still didn't do it for me. I could go on about Joel (I won't,) but in general all the hosts seemed unprepared. Most of the questions (except one of mine, actually, the one about Quantum Break) were not read from the Twitter feed, and the person with the most questions posed to, Reggie, didn't have many asked to him at all. Another problem I sensed was the host's inability to read each other. Being able to read and get a feel for where your co-host is steering the show is important. During the VGX I saw times where Geoff or Joel would cut each other off. Finally, I was not happy at how little attention the awards were given, it felt like a product push more than anything.

3. Keep streaming, that format works better in a three hour time frame. Go back to the theater and classic award approach, this would make the awards more about awards. Have some more varied nominations, or make the awards entirely fan voted (I feel like a panel of game journalists is a little biased.) For me just make them about games and what they mean to us, get an actual gamer's perspective on the awards, not a executive's ideas. I think that the viewers have a lot of good ideas and comments, I think making the show more viewer-centric than a couple of votes here and there would be a good way to engage the audience further. Also, a few reveals that are worth they hype, rather than games that we've already seen. 

Scout and elsuciodancr16 like this

Here's mine, Ill begin it. I'll be adding to it, as soon as there's a complete version of the full show re-watchable online.

What I thought Worked:

What I thought Didn't Work:

What I'd like to see more of:

There full re-watchable all show http://www.twitch.tv/gametrailers/b/485683265 click on their name next to picture click on past broadcasts and there will be first broadcast its full show.

1. All I can really say is it felt like I was watching a preshow of the actual VGX. The whole laid back feel was good.

2. Get Joe to host. They acted like there were a lot of premiere videos yet I have already seen a lot of the ones they showed.

3. Get a host that will probably be more "gamer" feel.

Who is with me with Joe would be a great host for the VGX?

I would also like to add that one of the most impressive things were the 4 guys that are working on such a huge game No Man's Sky. Kudos to them.

How does GTA V get game of the year but Rockstar didn't win Studio of the Year?

jdredd97 likes this

I can honestly only think of one thing, get presenters who live for gaming, who have personalities and who wont go to blue comedy in the hope of seeming edgy or a misguided view of what people want.

I like a few others were put off watching it because of what was going to happen in the show, bad jokes bad presenting and very little in the order of entertaining award views/reviews and gaming previews. Which seems to be the case. I can only hope if there gonna go online, theres no need to put it all in one shot and cut out so much potential material. Spread it over a few hours a day over a week and allow a moderated on screen question system or comment system so presenters can ask those questions to award winners and so on..

Something more worthy of our current abilities with todays technical know how, no doubt theres hundreds of struggling people willing to work for experience on a show like this maybe for free with great ideas and abilities.

guess thats my views on it.

Narrlocke likes this

I didn't enjoy this one since they didn't have the stadium like before and the audience it was more exciting and entertaining this one felt boring. And maybe they should go back too the stadium like last year and put it back on tv for some people :)

I really disliked Joel. It was almost painful how it seemed he was reading directly from the teleprompter. His entire lack of enthusiasm was really off putting. 

I liked the approach to include youtube gamer personalities but felt some of it fell short, like that god awful concert.

The biggest thing is how the nominees are chosen and voted for. Either disclose the information or have it open to the public, even though that  may turn into a stupid popularity contest.

What Worked: 

*Streaming presentation. Keeping ahead of the medium with new technology is a good way to go. 

*Promotion of upcoming material. Even though there wasn't a lot I liked, this is a good venue for game companies to gauge the target audiences' interests. 

What Didn't: 

*Repeated Transphobic Humor. This should NEVER be acceptable in any environment but displaying such thoughts to the world is particularly vile. 

*Once again playing up the "basement-dweller" gamer stereotype. This continues to be the way certain marketing agencies view the gaming community, and there has to be a way to break that illusion. 

Glaice and Berserker like this

1. The humor. Humor always helps shows.

2. They could have had better music for the end concert. The Video Games Live guys are awesome and you should check them out.

3. Better music and you can have more interviews with video game developers.

we need a gaming audience with best free roam game category or best graphics category and best up coming game category and we need angry joe as the host and with worst game of the year um best destruction category with funniest game of the year bigger stadium exclusive gameplay or traliers and best console of the yr funnest voice actor of the yr things like that we really need angry joe as the host

1. I think the World Premieres are pretty good and those particular segments like about Donkey Kong Champions and stuff they were good.

2. I didn't like the Comedy it was stupid and it didn't seem like the show was geared that much towards gamers. The Awards were pretty badly given out. Finally I wish they would stay with the Stage Setup but make these changes, also keep the Celebrity Cameos at a minimum. They should definitely get more charismatic people on the show like: Jack Black or Nathan Fillion and Even Get a lot of the Voice Actors from the games you're showcasing to come up and Host a bit.

3. Jack Black.

Sorry not much that I wanted.

Edit:  I have one new thing they could add to it, They could get more Youtube Gamers like people that review games and play them for like playthroughs.  I feel that way it could have a more legit gaming environment and it could feel like it's closer to the community. Hell put some kind of Tournament in their between these Youtube gamers. It would have people cheering for their favorite if they watch Youtube.

Rockoman100 likes this

1. If you are going to get people to represent the gaming community on Youtube, don't get Smosh, get someone that actually has something to do with gaming, more like Mega64 less like Smosh. I would seriously have DSP over then Smosh at the VGX

2. Get rid of Joel McHale NOW, he was absolutely horrible and CLEARLY did not care about gaming at all. At one point it sounded like he or someone else was taking a piss in the back because he had is microphone still on.

3. I don't know this entire show is BS, anyway the entire quality of the show is just terrible, they need to completely revamp this show if they want to keep it relevant, I was not the slightest bit entertain while watching this. I hope we get something good at the end of this like those old gaming shows that were GOOD, like TechTv and the original G4. The VGX is NO WHERE CLOSE to that. Hope they will actually make at least SOME improvements.

I really didn't like anything this year it was awkward and not enjoyable at all

First of all bring it back to spike I couldn't stand the amount of lag

Also bring back Sam Jackson he really had made his spot on the VGAs and the sketches that he was in last year were very memorable

Make it an actual event it seemed like a casual party that no one enjoyed

Also we need better announcements but I guess that more of a developer issue

And more importantly none if those boring Dev discussions they were insanely boring I just want to see awards, new gameplay, announcements, and some of Sam Jackson's comedy

1. If you are going to get people to represent the gaming community on Youtube, don't get Smosh, get someone that actually has something to do with gaming, more like Mega64 less like Smosh. I would seriously have DSP over then Smosh at the VGX

2. Get rid of Joel McHale NOW, he was absolutely horrible and CLEARLY did not care about gaming at all. At one point it sounded like he or someone else was taking a piss in the back because he had is microphone still on.

3. I don't know this entire show is BS, anyway the entire quality of the show is just terrible, they need to completely revamp this show if they want to keep it relevant, I was not the slightest bit entertain while watching this. I hope we get something good at the end of this like those old gaming shows that were GOOD, like TechTv and the original G4. The VGX is NO WHERE CLOSE to that. Hope they will actually make at least SOME improvements.

I would ask that you remember that this is a thread for constructive criticism. I understand that many people are inflamed about the awards and how the media will recieve this, but this is a thread to discuss how the VGX could imporve. If you want to vent, that is understandable, but please do it in the thread that Commander Joe provided the link to in his first post. I understand I am not a mod, and have no authority to make you do anything, but please respect the OP's wishes for this thread. 

I would ask that you remember that this is a thread for constructive criticism. I understand that many people are inflamed about the awards and how the media will recieve this, but this is a thread to discuss how the VGX could imporve. If you want to vent, that is understandable, but please do it in the thread that Commander Joe provided the link to in his first post. I understand I am not a mod, and have no authority to make you do anything, but please respect the OP's wishes for this thread. 

If that's what you consider it as, then I do apologize. I am just so done with this entire show, they just did so many things wrong in this show that I am just fed up with it. So I do apologize if it did come off as "venting" as you said.

I liked how the developers had a substantial voice in being able to provide insight into their games and their development. I also liked how easily accessible the show was through the stream on VGX's website.

While I like Joel McHale and I understand his humor, he seemed out of place and a lot of it fell flat. Had he been the exciting, engaging, and clever Joel he was on The Soup, it would have been much more enjoyable. The production seemed kind-of sloppy and rather unprepared.

I'd like to see more games content, less random concerts, and an overall more exciting production. Perhaps more community integration.

1. the things i liked were joeltonio banderas, the teasers and footage of games that were shown were pretty good (i especially like No Man Sky and The division footage that was shown, oh and dying light that footage was tight). i liked the roosterteeth guest hosts for one of the awards, the other guest hosts didnt really gave me much enjoyment

2 what i didnt like was the lack of other announcements, the humour wasnt that good, hosts where for the most part uninteresting, the part with the rap music completely lost my interest (not that i dont like rap, just didnt like the music that was shown for the most part), the inclusion of tyler the creator, lack of game footage shown, more prepared interviews (having spontanious interviews is just stupid and only rarely works, hell one of the interviews shown just had the interviewees just go "uh ah umm hmm" its like they were interviewing jeff goldblum).

3 what i would like to see more of? well i liked inclusion of actual people from the gaming community and wouldnt mind seeing them expand more on that. maybe some more announcements and footage next year, as i mentioned above maybe have more prepared interviews rather than spontanious ones. 

in conclusion i thought it was way better than the previous iterations of the award show tho that isnt saying much

Guys.... Just gonna throw it out there... Never have another live performance ever... That entire thing was cringe-worthy. And what the fuck was with the guys using the mics all talking about their "favorite" part of GTA5, one guy even said "my favorite part is driving my car into a hooker and then shooting her in the head" the other guy said he loves killing the elderly.  They sounded so disingenuous about the entire thing. And it sounded like english wasn't even their first language, that or they were attempting to read from a teleprompter but failed miserably. And they were laughing, and I use "laughing" lightly, about everything they said. it was fake, disgusting, and honestly, extremely creepy. If this is the future of the VGA's (I'm calling it that because I refuse to acknowledge it's existence as VGX after tonights failure) then count me out.

The "exclusive reveals" again using that term lightly, were pathetic to be frank. At least 5 of them we already knew about and 2 or 3 were just rehashed of the same game "laura croft"  or a bunch of games made by the same company "telltale games" The ONLY thing that was interesting to me was "No mans Sky" that was actually interesting everything else was so...... yuck.

If i had a choice between THIS again, or the original VGA's I'll take the latter 100%. I can take commercials and whatnot, but a great part of the original ones was having the audience there. it's the reason why E3 isn't just streamed and thats it. the roar of an excited crowd when a game is released, or the laughs you hear when something goes wrong. It's all gone, your just cheering to yourself with the VGX (and I didn't cheer once). It was so boring I let the stream go on while I played warframe to farm blueprints for valkyr. Only being able to hear the streams audio, because nothing they showed was intersting. And every time that group of guys near the stage started talking I had to mute it because i felt so embarrassed for them

Baldur Red-Snow and Nitronik2 like this

I like Joel McHale on The Soup, but I think he always comes off as awkward and disinterested no matter where he is on TV. As for a host, you can never go wrong with the Sess.

Oh, and it would have tickled my taint if they managed to work in Kevin Spacey or a Frank Underwood bit considering his secret gaming habit.

Rockoman100 likes this

And what the fuck was with the guys using the mics all talking about their "favorite" part of GTA5, one guy even said "my favorite part is driving my car into a hooker and then shooting her in the head" the other guy said he loves killing the elderly.  

Strange. I thought that was pretty funny and a wildly accurate description of the over-the-top despicable nonsense that people (myself included) generally enjoy indulging in throughout the GTA franchise. I thought it was the funniest part of the show, really. GTA is ridiculous and it is self-aware of that, just as the players are (unless they aren't, in which case they should be mentally examined).