• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Eradose

Fans questioning future of Mighty No. 9

26 posts in this topic

Okay, how many of you have heard about this controversy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXDSfUJBCj0

Now, I may not have backed Mighty No. 9 (I had to pick between it and Shantae), but if this is true, this may be a bit of a problem.  But again, being an outsider, I may only be seeing one side of this, and only one opinion.  So tell me, what do you guys think of this?

Metalcyanide likes this

Thanks for posting this. I did back Mighty No. 9 and I find this kinda messed up. I couldn't care less if the main character is a different gender or is a selectable gender but someone who is on the project just lying to the all the backers (I haven't been on the forums) is just wrong.

Honestly, this is an absolute train wreck for this game. Mega Man is on the level of a freaking cult for many people, it's their history, their heritage, and their childhood. it's honestly sickening to me that something like this has happened, and even more so that drastic action hasn't been taken by the heads of this company to at least try to rectify the problem before it gets any worse. It's perfectly fine for her to have her own opinions and views, yet when it gets in the way of her job, which is to create a game and a successor to Mega Man, so that she can push her own ideological agenda, that's when it crosses all kinds of lines. Even one person with this agenda can completely ruin a game such as this, and i personally have lost almost all faith in this game's development for this very reason.

Okay, ranting complete. Phew. 

I haven't watched the video and I probably won't. This video is most likely meant to stir up controversy and get shit tons of views. Regardless of if there is solid evidence of whatever the hell it's trying to tell us. I'm sick of stuff like this. Let the guy make his game and stop trying to stir up shit.

Sigma081 likes this

I'm not certain what to think about this. I am all for gender equality, and would love a female character to play as. So if they added a female character you can play as...sweet! But they shouldn't change the game from what was originally promised. I'm not going to get into the whole Dina controversy as I'm honestly not too certain how much power she might have within the company or what is going on with that. I just hope that this doesn't derail the game, because it looked really awesome, and I would love is more game developers could do things such as this so we could get more quality games that we love. I am looking forward to playing Mighty No. 9 when it comes out, so we shall see what happens. 

This topic have been... Yeah not even want to spell it out because of all the hate.  I gave them 250$ and i hope that money is well spent on something elsewhere then on this "diana" 

As a community manager she have pretty much done the worse job in the history and I personal hope she realize the situation. She did the worse thing a community manager can do. She have explains herself in a way that can be misinterpret as a lie or she did lie and have tried to hide evidence of doing so.

Anybody that have a tittle as a community manager for a gaming company should know the basic on how to deal with this in best fashion as possible. Stand up for yourself and give the crowd what they want. She did not do this and have tried to dodge the situation for ages hoping it die peacefully. When she finally speak up it was already to late and the damage was already done. Concealing evidence, not responding to community question and not speaking up for yourself as a Community Manager. She have failed here job and the damage is beyond recoverable at this point. I still believe she can do the right call and quit here job at Comcept. The world is cruel but she can still save the company face by doing so.

Thoughts on the video

1: Don't really like the tone of the start since Kickstarter has had a very large number of great projects come from it. The guy who made this is just awful.

2: For an artist, her artwork looks terrible as does that design which confuses me as to why she would be hired as an artist and to design robots

3: Beyond Two Souls certainly treated the badass female lead well, only one attempted rape scene and shower. David Cage has learned restraint.

4: Lying to your community is not a good way for a community manager to start out

5: Wanting to switch the gender of the main character just to do it is pointless and there is no shortage of Kickstarter games with a female lead or a choice between male and female, I think the vast majority of what I have supported has had a female lead or a choice.

6: Wouldn't a mod edit edition to a post without deleting anything technically be a mod answer to that post?

7: Locking twitter. ....That's a poor choice

8: Locking twitter for being asked questions as a community manager....is a very poor choice. Deleting things, a community manager should know not to be that stupid.

Final thoughts. Her art is terrible and the first thing she did was lie to the community and that isn't a good way to get a job, fire her. Feminist issues and thoughts are irrelevant. No one should support a video this jackass makes again.

NiceGuyNeon, tjnome and Sigma081 like this

The video creator is totally baiting people.  Who gives a crap if she's a feminist who hasn't played Megaman? She's an artist on the game.  It's not the end of the world.  I backed the game, I feel secure in backing it.  I have no regrets and nothing that baitass vlogger says is going to change that.

FUCK that video.  That dude is so condescending with his tone.  He spend FOUR MINUTES playing with people's emotions to get to the point where he tries to get a rise out of them before he even starts to mention what his video will be about.  By the time he gets to anything resembling an issue we're like halfway through.  He has said NOTHING of relevance other than to stir controversy.  Shame on you for even sharing that video, TC.

Chivalric Death likes this

Keep feminist agenda out of the game, damn is it so hard to leave it alone?

Keep feminist agenda out of the game, damn is it so hard to leave it alone?

Not what the "controversy" is about....

Personally, I'm reserving judgement until the game is released. She's just one of the artists, not lead artist. She doesn't get final say, so chances are that she won't have major impact on the game other than her artwork. Pretty sure Beck will remain male, although Call might get a bit more focus to make her happy.

That said, she's not a good community manager. She should be replaced on that front with someone less likely to stir up controversy.

NiceGuyNeon likes this

Thoughts on the video

1: Don't really like the tone of the start since Kickstarter has had a very large number of great projects come from it. The guy who made this is just awful.

2: For an artist, her artwork looks terrible as does that design which confuses me as to why she would be hired as an artist and to design robots

3: Beyond Two Souls certainly treated the badass female lead well, only one attempted rape scene and shower. David Cage has learned restraint.

1. The guy seems to have a sarcastic tone all the way through the video. I was constantly trying to work out if he was stating facts or making a sarcastic remark.

2. Apparently she has friends/family in the company and they got her the job through Nepotism.

3. Only one attempted rape? Nice one.

The video itself was not that great. I am annoyed at the Kickstarter logo being up there and the description of the video. Kickstarter has had great success and a phenomenal track record so far for what it is.

Is she an ass? Absolutely I thought that before I watched this video and this train wreck is just god awful. I disagree with Katarn that the feminism bit is irrelevant, social agendas have no place in the development of video games and that is exactly what she kept pushing. If you were as die hard a MM fan as these guys are and had backed the project with your own money you would easily understand it from their perspective. I think that the biggest issue most members have is the fear that absolutely nothing will be done about this, or that there will be some unsatisfying compromise and she and her designs will still be apart of the overall game.

The video itself was not that great. I am annoyed at the Kickstarter logo being up there and the description of the video. Kickstarter has had great success and a phenomenal track record so far for what it is.

Is she an ass? Absolutely I thought that before I watched this video and this train wreck is just god awful. I disagree with Katarn that the feminism bit is irrelevant, social agendas have no place in the development of video games and that is exactly what she kept pushing. If you were as die hard a MM fan as these guys are and had backed the project with your own money you would easily understand it from their perspective. I think that the biggest issue most members have is the fear that absolutely nothing will be done about this, or that there will be some unsatisfying compromise and she and her designs will still be apart of the overall game.

No, she shouldn't have got the damn job. Her feminist views should not affect the game's design either.

and had backed the project with your own money you would easily understand it from their perspective.

I did

There's nothing wrong with wanting it to have a female characters if the developers feel like doing that they will. Her views on political issues don't have anything to do with her job, her being terrible at her job does.

I did

There's nothing wrong with wanting it to have a female characters if the developers feel like doing that they will. Her views on political issues don't have anything to do with her job, her being terrible at her job does.

I think you're missing some parts there. I don't have an issue with female characters and that she wanted one isn't anything major. We can agree that she's terrible. But lets just agree to disagree on whether or not pushing a social agenda in this industry against die-hard/longtime fans is relevant on being a terrible developer (and person.)

Let me start this post with the quote at the beginning of Assassin Creed games:

"This work of fiction was designed, developed, and produced by a multicultural team of various faiths and beliefs"

Now let me ask you a question: If you found out that someone on the dev team of GTA V, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, or any other game you purchased had a radically different political beliefs than you, would you take that game back to the store and ask for a refund?

I doubt it because that would be complete stupidity.

Long story short, Comcept, the team making Mighty No. 9 hired a feminist (Dina Karam) to be their community manager and to work with the design team and there has been a major backlash over this. We have people claiming that:

• She will turn the game into some sort of feminist social justice political man-hating thing
  • That she should be fired
  • That they want their money back

To see the shit storm itself you can go here.

There is a prominent video on YouTube about this that's a good example of the irrational bullshit and fear mongering but I won't be posting it here because the guy who made it is obviously trying to stir up controversy for views. Either that or he really is as stupid as he seems.

In response to this shit storm of stupidity all I have to say is: are you FUCKING kidding me? You really want to stop supporting a project because someone on the team has different political views than you? And can anyone really be stupid enough to think that Inafune would allow a feminist to corrupt his dream project with her agenda (if she even has one)? That's bat-shit crazy! No, that's just plain stupid, it really is.

And it really is sad that all of this stems from an irrational fear of a worthless fringe movement because some people are insecure in their masculinity.

Dina has made some mistakes as community manager in response to the hate leveled at her. I'm not defending her because I don't need to, that's her battle to fight because some people have legitimate criticisms of her. That's all beside the point because this entire situation blew up because of people opposed to her political views and the moronic idea that she can somehow make her views a part of the game despite the fact that she's not even a decision maker at Comcept.

What I'm doing is calling out all the beta males who tremble in terror at the mere thought of a feminist working on a game. I know that feminists are your greatest fear but there were probably feminist who've worked on all the big budget games you've played just given how large their dev teams were. Did those games turn into some sort of feminist social justice man-hating project? Fuck no. And MN9 isn't going to either.

Inafune and the decision makers at Comcept have things under control so calm your fucking tits already. They don't need you micro managing their hiring decisions. There is no reason for you to let your irrational fear of a political fringe movement lead to this massive shit storm of outright stupidity. You're making us as gamers look bad.

You know, this whole situation is really a black-eye not just for the MN9 community but for the gaming community in general. The ones freaking out over this have portrayed us gamers as cowardly beta males who tremble in fear in the face of a fringe movement that in reality has no power over us at all.  Worst of all they responded irrationally making moronic claims that also have no basis in reality. It's sad and pathetic.

I'm embarrassed to be a part of the MN9 community now. I won't be associating with them any more. I'll wait for the game to come out and judge it fairly on its merits at that time. Until then, those who have flipped out over this situation need to take a look at yourself and man the fuck up. Stop behaving like a child and stop making us gamers look bad. The big bad feminists aren't going to ruin your game and they aren't going to castrate you, but if you fear them then you've pretty much already castrated yourself.

It's human nature to always oppose, fear, hate and be violent towards anything that scares them or they don't really understand. This is a clear example. The people are scared of someone, that has no say or power to change anything inside the project, to ruin there most awaited spiritual succesor to the Blue Bomber. Are they being ignorant and irrational? Yes, that's what fear does to you or they are just behaving like the usual ignorants one can find in the internet.

Not all feminists are violent women that try to shoehorn ideas that women are better than men, most are just woman that demand that all sexes are treated equally. The woman is a feminist? Well good for her, it's right for women to demand to be treated equally. This people need to be educated and pulled out of the well of ignorance they live in.

The wonderful King's Quest Adventure game series, designed by Roberta Williams, was amoung some of my favorite computer games I enjoyed playing in my youth.

To me, it doesn't really matter if a game designer, developer, member-of-the-team is a woman or a man. If it's a good game and I enjoy playing it, then that's what matters to me.

The goals of feminism have already been achieved and in many cases men are treated unfairly.

Anyone still going by the title "feminist" in the western world is likely a radical of the Frankfurt vein and should be disregarded. Their views don't stand to scrutiny.

I completely agree with you, Sigma081. On that topic, I will ask how anyone found out about it.
I mean, I don't give a damn if someone who makes a game is a feminist or so as long as the game is good, and as I saw in the screwattack news when Shaun asked "Would Megaman with boobs really be that bad?" I was just thinking personally of about all the Megaman fanart pictures I have (Girly Blues <3). It's just silly and it's just someone trying to fuck things up. As I wrote down below the demographic of those who are.

I do still wonder if people found out about it, or if she proudly proclaimed herself as a feminist.
Either way, she doesn't seem to be a good community manager for the project at all.
We'll see what the future holds.

It's human nature to always oppose, fear, hate and be violent towards anything that scares them or they don't really understand. This is a clear example. The people are scared of someone, that has no say or power to change anything inside the project, to ruin there most awaited spiritual succesor to the Blue Bomber. Are they being ignorant and irrational? Yes, that's what fear does to you or they are just behaving like the usual ignorants one can find in the internet.

Not all feminists are violent women that try to shoehorn ideas that women are better than men, most are just woman that demand that all sexes are treated equally. The woman is a feminist? Well good for her, it's right for women to demand to be treated equally. This people need to be educated and pulled out of the well of ignorance they live in.

............. Normally I'd agree on you but this is just blatantly wrong. There's nothing "unknown" in this case so you can't pull out the "It's human nature!" card on this topic. No, I'll tell you what this is about. This is about a bunch of men between the ages 15-45 that have been so butthurt and pushed over by women and they've gone into super hatemode against any female. In a sense, it's understandable but in another, they're fucking morons. They behave, like spoiled, 5 year olds. They don't fear women, they don't fear feminists - they hate them with every fiber of their being.

Feminist in itself is a charged word and on the personal note, I am just as much against feminism as I am against the male equivalent of it. I absolutely despise both of them because neither is about being equal, both are about lifting the other gender up above the other. That is why, I refer to myself as a humanist. The other two, are just poison really but that's all I'm going to elaborate about regarding this thread and before anyone starts flinging their poo like the great mighty poo at me, I think the majority of my lovers have been feminists so, don't :P

Sigma081 likes this

A much better video about how her views could effect the game

Sigma081 likes this

I completely agree with you, Sigma081. On that topic, I will ask how anyone found out about it.

I mean, I don't give a damn if someone who makes a game is a feminist or so as long as the game is good, and as I saw in the screwattack news when Shaun asked "Would Megaman with boobs really be that bad?" I was just thinking personally of about all the Megaman fanart pictures I have (Girly Blues <3). It's just silly and it's just someone trying to fuck things up. As I wrote down below the demographic of those who are.

I do still wonder if people found out about it, or if she proudly proclaimed herself as a feminist.

Either way, she doesn't seem to be a good community manager for the project at all.

We'll see what the future holds.

Dina was active in the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter comments and she said some feminist things like Beck should be a female etc. Also people dug up past twitter posts of hers where she said similar things that paint her as a hardline feminist. To be honest, I think a lot of her opinions are bullshit. But I don't give a damn because she's in no position to let her views influence MN9 at all.

As for her as a community manager, she made some screw ups but I can understand why she did because of the massive amount of hate that she got. That being said, I want to judge her based on her job performance going forward, not her political views or her initial response to this mess. Unfortunately I think this controversy will overshadow that and her performance as community manager (good or bad) won't be judged in an objective manner by most.