• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Rainversey

What is everyone's problems with the protagonist(s) dying?

37 posts in this topic

Ever since I first played Megaman, since I was fascinated by Protoman(Blues), ever since I first saw the ending of Megaman X, ever since I first stared wide-eyed with a girly crush on Zero and giggled to myself, to the ending that was thought provoking.. I've always loved the Megaman games.

When I registered first on youtube, one of the first videos I ever uploaded was the ending to Megaman Zero 4.

In fact, I uploaded this video 7 years ago, 1 month 2 days ago (12th November. The ending is absolutely fantastic. It's melancholic, it raises questions and frankly if you've played these games as long as I have, emotional. I was perhaps more emotional as to what happens in MMZ2 though. I was very very glad to see that ending and just thinking "Finally, they don't have to fight anymore."

But people, just refuse to accept that they're dead.
I'm getting so much comments on that video that it's not even funny anymore. It's always the same comments as well "That shadow over there! He is alive!", even when you try to tell them "It's a goddamn mountain!!", they won't listen. I even read another comment which is the cause of this message of a person who said "But what if X didn't die, then he saved Zero and they're still alive and can make another Megaman Zero 5!" and it just pisses me the f- off instantly. Not to mention it also brings to thought if that's why Capcom without Inafune's permission released Megaman X6, because some people were crying for one. I dunno about that though but he had intended the X series to end on X5 or X4 and then go into MMZ timeline with X being the villain instead of Copy-X.

Here is my question.
Why, OH WHY, do people have such a problem with the protagonists of a game, dying?

Sigma081 likes this

To be honest, most people are highly attracted to a game's writing and obviously the characters. Take Lee from Walking Dead for example. A lot of people have cried at the ending for the main character, Lee dying. It depends on how the game is written and how the story is.

SweatsAndTears likes this

Because they must live.

Forever.

They must live happily ever after.

BECAUSE I DAMN WELL SAY SO.

Honestly depending on the situation, sometimes i actually hope for the protagonist to die like in the last FF games :) dear god that lad was annoying. But in all seriousness i guess some people get so attached to the emotional memories of there experience in game, they have to and maybe need to believe there charater is still alive somewhere/somehow.. For me an example is starcraft heart of the swarm, i actually hoped they had killed jim raynor, flat out shot him in the head as the announcer seemed to point to, it would have made me far more happy to think the enemy was really bad and not one of those lets keep our most ruthless opponent safe in a cell somewhere where obviously he wont escape... bah.

Then again sometimes a game likes to tease you with are they or arent they just to keep there fanbase talking about a game, be it months or years later just incase a sequel turns up viable at some point...

I don't know. Look how bad people took Mass Effect's ending, not for all the logical reasons to dislike it but just because Shepard died.

Don't know why they wouldn't accept Zero's death, he dies all the time.

If I had to guess, it's a thing with younger audiences, but I could be wrong. I personally had problems with anybody dying whenever I was younger and super sensitive to that. I wouldn't want Ash from Pokemon to die back then or anything. Nowadays I would accept it (especially since I don't even watch the show... just an example though).

I'm guessing it's something similar to this since it's Megaman we're talking about.

To be honest, most people are highly attracted to a game's writing and obviously the characters. Take Lee from Walking Dead for example. A lot of people have cried at the ending for the main character, Lee dying. It depends on how the game is written and how the story is.

You have a very good point. I get attached to characters if the writing is good enough. It makes me more engrossed in the story as well.

If the Player enjoys a game, the main protagonist character they get to play, and if they feel a connection-with and an affection for that character (and in a sense, sometimes when we play a game we are projecting ourself into that game's world via the protagonist, and we may even feel for that brief time while immersing ourself into a game that we "are" the protagonist), so it then it can be difficult to see them die. Well, that's just one theory.

For me personally, my protagonists tend to survive unless there's a very good reason why they wouldn't. I hate it when protagonists live through things that no other character would or when they die to something stupid, like a stray arrow, or falling down the damn stairs (seriously, this happened in a fanfic I read ages ago).

I know that stray arrows do happen, but it does annoy me because that isn't a very heroic way to die at all.

People (myself included) tend to get edgy when their favourite characters die in a shit way. Imagine, if you will, if Grunt was shown just getting munched on instead of this:

(Spoilers, obviously)

Knock likes this

I always prefer to have protagonists dying when the story serves them right.

Sacrifice, End of pain/vengeance, protect someone, etc.

I don't like some killing that was explained very unwell or unreasonable.

For me, it has to be done right.

I HATED when Ashley died in Mass Effect. I felt so guilty. But that was done correctly. When it is done badly, is when they make you care for the character and just toss them into the bin as if they are nothing to the story.

I HATED when Ashley died in Mass Effect. I felt so guilty. But that was done correctly. When it is done badly, is when they make you care for the character and just toss them into the bin as if they are nothing to the story.

Yet you kill all them "trash mobs" like they where nothing :(

For me personally, my protagonists tend to survive unless there's a very good reason why they wouldn't. I hate it when protagonists live through things that no other character would or when they die to something stupid, like a stray arrow, or falling down the damn stairs (seriously, this happened in a fanfic I read ages ago).

I know that stray arrows do happen, but it does annoy me because that isn't a very heroic way to die at all.

People (myself included) tend to get edgy when their favourite characters die in a shit way. Imagine, if you will, if Grunt was shown just getting munched on instead of this:

Reminds me of the biggest punk-out death that I know of, yet still find good,

I still mainly want to play this game because everyone dies.

Reminds me of the biggest punk-out death that I know of, yet still find good,

I still mainly want to play this game because everyone dies.

Oh yeah, I remember Kat. The female one I was supposed to care about, but got little characterisation so when

she got sniped

I really didn't care all that much. The only good deaths in that game are

Jorge's (awesome sacrifice), Emile's (ambush turned to brawl) and your own (last stand).

Ever since I first played Megaman, since I was fascinated by Protoman(Blues), ever since I first saw the ending of Megaman X, ever since I first stared wide-eyed with a girly crush on Zero and giggled to myself, to the ending that was thought provoking.. I've always loved the Megaman games.

When I registered first on youtube, one of the first videos I ever uploaded was the ending to Megaman Zero 4.

In fact, I uploaded this video 7 years ago, 1 month 2 days ago (12th November. The ending is absolutely fantastic. It's melancholic, it raises questions and frankly if you've played these games as long as I have, emotional. I was perhaps more emotional as to what happens in MMZ2 though. I was very very glad to see that ending and just thinking "Finally, they don't have to fight anymore."

But people, just refuse to accept that they're dead.

I'm getting so much comments on that video that it's not even funny anymore. It's always the same comments as well "That shadow over there! He is alive!", even when you try to tell them "It's a goddamn mountain!!", they won't listen. I even read another comment which is the cause of this message of a person who said "But what if X didn't die, then he saved Zero and they're still alive and can make another Megaman Zero 5!" and it just pisses me the f- off instantly. Not to mention it also brings to thought if that's why Capcom without Inafune's permission released Megaman X6, because some people were crying for one. I dunno about that though but he had intended the X series to end on X5 or X4 and then go into MMZ timeline with X being the villain instead of Copy-X.

Here is my question.

Why, OH WHY, do people have such a problem with the protagonists of a game, dying?

Maybe it has something to do with the deep rooted psychological crap that most people don't want to think there will come a time when they won't exist either.

That aside I wish they had made the deaths of the 3 guardians and X at the end of the third game more dramatic. I didn't even realize they died until I read the wiki.

I hated Ashley. I got that xenophobic bitch killed off ASAP.

Rainversey likes this

I thought this was about protagonist death not the supporting cast. Are we just talking about anyone dying?

I hated Ashley. I got that xenophobic bitch killed off ASAP.

Yeah, and I was very happy that her dying made much more sense so I can consider it canon.

Well I don't mind when the main character dies as long as it was something worth dying for. Such as Shepard (I didn't care that Shepard died though I felt that did make the whole idea of romancing a character pointless, but other then that I was fine with it), The Grey Warden, Cole Macgrath, Zack Fair, and etc.

I never got bugged by the people who argued a character lived when they clearly died except for Infamous. Oh I hated the people who try to say Cole was still alive in the good ending, I don't know why but it was just really annoying.

Drakengard, fantastic story, I strongly recommend it.

Seeing as no one is like to care to go experience it, and if you are - stop now! But, seeing as Caim and Angelus overcome so much together, experience so many battles and revitalize the very fires in eachothers' soul... They face so much and conquer so many all in the effort to save something of the world that they hold dear that - in each and every ending of Drakengard, there is no happiness. There is never an ending beneficial to them. And they ultimately, no matter if tit comes in the first or second game, die. 

Their most ironic death is the introduction to NieR.

After defeating the hardest boss of the game which begs no room for error - one slip up meaning you replay the mission entirely - the game ends. "It is finished, Caim," says the dragon, Angelus shortly before the buzzing sound of an airplane and two rockets colliding with the duo, sending them falling to their demise spired atop a Tokyo highrise. They saved their world, their original world, but met so far into the future in another culture entirely in another realm, they're destroyed immediately. The calling of the pilot comes across the radio: "Bogies down." It's such a sad story.

Another ending gives way to the corruption of Angelus.

She becomes a harbinger of Chaos, a signal to the final end of the world. Caim and Angelus break their bonds, after facing so much and gaining such an affection for each other, that her mind collapses upon itself and she is thrust upon Caim at the will of the Seeds. Laying waste to the temple and their friendship. At its end, Angelus lays dead and Caim, unable to gain a rest or repent or grieve for his friend, now must charge out into the world in a futile attempt to save it- alone.

And this is the most touching ending to the first story that gives way to the second game.

All the seals of the world are deceased, their magical power lain rampant across the land wreaking havoc wherever it went. With but two choices, armageddon or salvation. The dragon offers herself as the final seal. As the priest, Verdelet, imbues her flesh, body, mind, and soul with the curse and burden of the seal she finally reveals her name to Caim, for the first time to any human in her 10,000 years of life, before she fades away into the sky. Her soul adrift on the open breeze, the last seal until the end of time - or so it should have been.

I guess some people might view the character's accomplishments as their own accomplishments.  They spent hours on their own game, upgrading weapons, improving skills, customizing their character--maybe it's the sort of mentality where they say "I worked so hard to improve my character, and this is what happens?  All my work for nothing?"

If it's a meaningless/idiotic/illogical death, that also could tick a person off.  For instance, let's say I was playing Uncharted 3, and at the very end, let's pretend that Talbot shoots Nate as he falls to his death.  I, as a player, am not happy.  Nate might have easily dodged the bullet, or "how could Talbot have such spectacular aim as he falls off the cliff?" might be such qualms I could have about the death.

I mean, when the protagonists Cole Phelps dies at the end of L.A. Noire, I was surprised, but at least his death made sense.  He tried to save his friends, and in doing so sacrificed himself because there wasn't enough time for him to climb out as well.   

Power fntasy.

Some look at at games/stories as an escape into a worldwhere perfect endings are possible. The character MUST reach the hapily everafter.

Other look at like likean escape into another world, but a world thatis jsut as imperfect as ours. Hence, why bad things can (and will) happen.

While it depends on execution (to a point), a death of a character by itself is not good OR bad. Sometimes characters should die. Sometimes even because of stupid things (liek in real life). Especially if that's the atmosphere the creator wants to create. I it's the greatst war the world has ever seen, that everyone you (and your character) cares for having plot immunity from anything bad is just a cop-out.

I'm rambling a bit, but the point of a character dying isn't to feel good (unlkess he's a bad bad guy). It's to feel loss. And that isnt' nice. Some people just play games to feel happy and good, and thus do not like anything that prevents them from their rainbow and sunshine ending. I understand them, but such an ending really doesn't fit in every story.

Maybe because throughout the whole game you tried to keep them alive, but then they die anyway, making the whole thing seem like a waste of time. But the again "The journy is geater than the destination" or something along those lines.

hmm...?

*shrug*

Maybe most video game protagnist are unrealistic and do not fully express the full narrative cycle of death or death's fully literary rhetoric?

Just a thought.

I love when the main character dies, because we dont expect it. Its not the norm, thats why it feels fresh and unexpected most of the time

People don't like seeing their favorite characters go, like for me watching

Spike Spiegel

die killed me but i accepted that and moved on but never forgot him. It's more or less a connection you make with that said character that makes you not want them to die.