• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Knock

When You Listen To Music...

25 posts in this topic

How are you guys when it comes to listening to music? I think I might be a little more "strange" than most people I see in public when it comes to music.

Whenever I listen to music, I normally like to be alone in a room with the lights out. As I listen to it, I let my imagination wonder, and the things I imagine differ depending on the song I'm listening to. A violent song will have me think violent things. A peaceful and happy song will make me think of uplifting scenarios, etc.

It gets even better for me whenever I can heavily feel the emotion being conveyed to me, and that can go with other things as well. Like movies. I get this pleasant feeling in my head when I can heavily sense whatever emotion is being sent to me. It happens mostly with music... I really love music.

What I do whenever I'm going to really get into the music I like and want to listen to, is listen to a crappy song first. It accentuates how good the song I like is and it makes it 10x better lol. I enjoy doing it.

Example:

What I think is crap: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UlM0rekXrQ

And what I think is good:

I like rap music as you can tell by the examples above. I listen to other genres a little bit as well. If you don't like the same stuff I do, don't blatantly insult my taste and I won't insult yours :) (I won't insult yours either way.)

So what about you guys? What kind of music do you like, and how do you like to listen to it? Do you do anything similar to what I do when enjoying your tunes?

thesilentwindow likes this

Music to me tends to trigger my creative and imaginative mind.
But I don't need to be in a dark room for that, I can sit on the buss and still get the same. 

Music to me tends to trigger my creative and imaginative mind.

But I don't need to be in a dark room for that, I can sit on the buss and still get the same. 

Same here, but I like being alone in a dark room much more. Just a preference I have. I guess I can just feel it even more when there aren't distractions around and whatnot.

That's the great thing about music is that it literally can go with anything anyone is doing. Rap music while reading, rock when working out, there are an infinite number of possibilities. I prefer jazz, swing and some techno but that is just me, TGIF.

Knock likes this

In the past if I was listening to music I would play it on my computer while doing other things, I usually never really thought about it and I never have played anything in public. For the last few years I really don't listen to music at all unless it's a part of a video I am watching or a game I am playing.

Alot of my nights are taken up by migraines and the only way to ease beyond half effective meds is music, most syles help, but a few are more effective, and i wont lie, having the lights off in a dark room is really helpful, way back when, when i was passionate about sketching id usually draw for hours after a few hours of music in the dark..

In the past if I was listening to music I would play it on my computer while doing other things, I usually never really thought about it and I never have played anything in public. For the last few years I really don't listen to music at all unless it's a part of a video I am watching or a game I am playing.

I was similar. In the past I was never a fan of music. I never really liked what I heard before, and I never analyzed the lyrics. It wasn't until a few years ago that I really got into it. I'm hoping to go to a concert this February now.

As I listen to it, I let my imagination wonder, and the things I imagine differ depending on the song I'm listening to. A violent song will have me think violent things. A peaceful and happy song will make me think of uplifting scenarios, etc.

This is me. When I'm writing, I need something calm to write conversation and "downtime" scenes, and something fast and loud to write epic scenes like battles.

Good examples of this:

Calm, for conversations, travelling and intimate moments:

More fast paced, for happy or humorous moments

And something heavy or epic, for fights and arguments

EDIT: Dammit, there must be a limit on Embed-ed videos

Knock likes this

Alot of my nights are taken up by migraines and the only way to ease beyond half effective meds is music, most syles help, but a few are more effective, and i wont lie, having the lights off in a dark room is really helpful, way back when, when i was passionate about sketching id usually draw for hours after a few hours of music in the dark..

Music helps your migraines? I didn't even know that was possible. If I had to guess it would be the more peaceful songs and not anything like Heavy Metal that helps. Right? What genres help?

I usually look like this when I listen to music.

I listen to:

Melodic Death metal

Folk Metal

Symphonic/Atmospheric Black metal

Metal in general.

Hard Rock

Classical

Music helps your migraines? I didn't even know that was possible. If I had to guess it would be the more peaceful songs and not anything like Heavy Metal that helps. Right? What genres help?

Some classical music helps, but tbh anything with high bpm also white noise helps at certain ranges, For me i like and this is simply a personal taste, dubstep (usually female vocal tracks) nightcore (pretty much any though angel of darkness/angel with a shotgun gets played alot) and a few similar brands of music, no lol heavy metal doesnt help for some reason, not that its my style though. 

Knock likes this

Some classical music helps, but tbh anything with high bpm also white noise helps at certain ranges, For me i like and this is simply a personal taste, dubstep (usually female vocal tracks) nightcore (pretty much any though angel of darkness/angel with a shotgun gets played alot) and a few similar brands of music, no lol heavy metal doesnt help for some reason, not that its my style though. 

Oh okay. I was thinking that music with a low bpm would help, and not vice versa.

angel with a shotgun

Just realized you included that. I love that song. I heard it awhile ago, it's not bad at all :)

ViralBunny likes this

I can't just sit there and listen to music, I have to be doing something or I get bored. I usually listen when I'm driving, writing, gaming, or something else.

How are you guys when it comes to listening to music? I think I might be a little more "strange" than most people I see in public when it comes to music.

Whenever I listen to music, I normally like to be alone in a room with the lights out. As I listen to it, I let my imagination wonder, and the things I imagine differ depending on the song I'm listening to. A violent song will have me think violent things. A peaceful and happy song will make me think of uplifting scenarios, etc.

It gets even better for me whenever I can heavily feel the emotion being conveyed to me, and that can go with other things as well. Like movies. I get this pleasant feeling in my head when I can heavily sense whatever emotion is being sent to me. It happens mostly with music... I really love music.

What I do whenever I'm going to really get into the music I like and want to listen to, is listen to a crappy song first. It accentuates how good the song I like is and it makes it 10x better lol. I enjoy doing it.

Example:

What I think is crap: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UlM0rekXrQ

And what I think is good:

I like rap music as you can tell by the examples above. I listen to other genres a little bit as well. If you don't like the same stuff I do, don't blatantly insult my taste and I won't insult yours :) (I won't insult yours either way.)

So what about you guys? What kind of music do you like, and how do you like to listen to it? Do you do anything similar to what I do when enjoying your tunes?

Yoooouuuu like drugs, don'cha? Just kiddin', heheh.

As for myself when it comes to music I'm weird, unless I'm writing or reading I need music to be on constantly. Silence murders my mind and lets it wander into strange places that I frankly don't want to go. So, music keeps me on track. That's about it.

Yoooouuuu like drugs, don'cha? Just kiddin', heheh.

Of course I love drugs! As we speak I'm snorting crack off a hooker's ass

Er... I mean... drugz r bad

As for myself when it comes to music I'm weird, unless I'm writing or reading I need music to be on constantly. Silence murders my mind and lets it wander into strange places that I frankly don't want to go. So, music keeps me on track. That's about it.

Do you hate silence even more when you're having a conversation? I do. But it doesn't happen too often. And when it does it's normally not that bad for me.

So, music keeps me on track.

I see what you did there...

This

http://youtu.be/Olr8jtg2QvA

+

My tali pic collection of 545 pics

=

what I do in my spare time when iam not gaming,reading fanfic, or dreaming in my fanfic world of Karos'Shepard with his lifemate Tali'Shepard, and the their child Raekah'Shepard and their pet varren Xio'Shepard in the universe of which we know as Mass Effect.

... God.. I have a no-life

I listen to mostly classic rock and it's mostly while I'm driving. I listen to some video game music as well. It doesn't really impact my emotions or trigger anything creative, etc. it's just something I like to hear over the road noise.

I like listening to music that is similar to my mood, it usually boosts the "mood" or  "Emotion".

.....I also tend to listen to certain songs/albums until i hate them xD

Well, it depends on my mood, really. Say, I'm having a bad day. I am angry at something, and need to divert that anger to something that has no impact on work, other people etc.

Solution: Heavy Metal.

Listening to those heavy riffs and that smashing drum beat at the back just allows me to filter that anger through my head and then divert my attention to somewhere else. Bands like Disturbed, Metallica, Megadeth, Black Sabbath are good examples.

If I happen to be feeling good, it's usually rock like say AC/DC, Aerosmith, The Who, The Hives..

You know, good light riffs with exciting lyrics, not that sort of a hyper tempo.. Fun stuff.

Maybe I am hyped for something? Say driving around, and a good old Pendulum strikes on the player. I look around, look for a nice strech of road, stop and then SLAM THE SH*T OUT OF THAT GAS PEDAL. Just gets the adrenaline running. Techno in general gets me to pump the hell up. Energize.

Maybe I want to relax. Hendrix, Pink Floyd, all the good stuff goes into these types of moments.

Not a huge fan of hip-hop. I fail to comprehend the new stuff. Although old Eminem, Snoop, and of course Run DMC goes, any day.

Maybe I'm not in any sort special of mood at all. I just set my Spotify on shuffle and go on during the day.

If there is something in music I  DESPISE WITH A BURNING HATRED it's usually something like One Direction, Justin Bieber.. Boy bands, modern pop. I think modern pop music is driving people insane. I mean, it's not just the music.

It's the sheer arrogance of the people who practice it. And the media circus rolling around it with mindless sheeps just drooling over their iPhones, (Hey, I owned an iPhone myself back in the day, no hate! :D) waiting for the next big scoop.

This year we have danced on the edge of the knife. A bloody civil war rages in Syria, where both sides have very questionable motivations and end goals, a rogue state (North Korea) has gained access to nuclear weapons, with horrible natural events happening all around the world and with benefactors to humanity (Nelson Mandela in this case) dying. 

AND THERE THEY ARE. READING THAT "OMIGOSH, BIEBER BROKE UP WITH (insert lolly gagger here). OMIGOD OMIGOD, IM GONNA TALK ABOUT IT FOR A WHOLE DAY AND POST IT TO TUMBLR, TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND OF COURSE GATHER ATTENTION TO MYSELF IN THE PROCESS." The sheer ignorance and hypocricy of them saying "OH, YOU CANT UNDERSTAND THE LYRICS IN METAL. EVERYBODY IS JUST SHOUTING AND SCREAMING IN IT" and then proceed to listen to Oppan Gangnam Style. Im generalizing and everyone is entitled to their own tastes. Perhaps I'm just really cynical and my BURNING HATE just clouding my judgement.

That's all folks!

Knock likes this

I listen to literally everything... from classical to Jazz to Rap to classic rock to Jpop to Metal  ect ect

Whatever I listen to tends to be whatever my mood is unless im driving and then I just listen to whatever is coming out of the radio that doesn't sound bad.

-snip-

I don't listen to much Rock or Heavy Metal. Hopefully I'll listen to a band one day that I can really get into. That's how I started listening to Rap/Hip-hop, because at first I didn't even like the genre. I didn't even listen to music that much at all. But I found one rapper who I thought was really dope, and then it lead me to other rappers. Now I like the entire genre. I'll admit, there is a bunch of crap out there though, and I think that sometimes turns people away from Rap. A lot of bad rappers just get a lot of promotion and people talk about them a lot online, which promotes them even more. Like in my original post, I said a bad rapper was Chief Keef. I absolutely hate terrible rappers like him who have nothing to say that is clever or different.

I also hate when people attack others for liking a different genre. Like you stated, "The sheer ignorance and hypocricy of them saying "OH, YOU CANT UNDERSTAND THE LYRICS IN METAL. EVERYBODY IS JUST SHOUTING AND SCREAMING IN IT" and then proceed to listen to Oppan Gangnam Style.". It's just stupid to me. I've seen people that are into music that I think is terrible, and I don't leap at their throats for it. I don't like when they generalize a whole entire genre either, or they compare two completely different genres and come up with stupid reasons as to why one is better than the other.

I'm not a big fan of modern pop either. I might listen to it once a year... and then that's it. I'm not even kidding either. I think this year I've listened to maybe ONE pop song and then I was done. Maybe more, but It's so little that I can't even remember how much. I'm not gonna bash the genre though.

I never had an iPhone, I had different smartphones, and the only reason I had them was because I would get somebody's old phone if they got a new one. I too, don't like when people just drool over their phones on the internet. I personally don't care too much about what anybody says on Twitter, or what Justin Bieber does. He slept with a prostitute? Greeat. Rebecca Black has a new single out called Saturday? Fantastic. (Random note: I think the hate on her new single is pointless. I don't listen to that type of music, but it literally sounded like any other singer on the radio. I think it's just because it's Rebecca Black)

I think the fact that getting on the internet is getting more and more popular is making some people lose any creativity. I don't mean to sound like a self-centered ass here, but I'm a pretty funny guy who comes up with his own jokes. I see a lot of people just regurgitate any jokes they see on the internet. I hate it. They also do it with any important events or subjects, like Syria.

I have to admit that I'm not too informed on Syria, but I can admit that if I found some news on it and knew about it that I would develop my own opinion instead of regurgitating what I see on Youtube.

/end rant

That's all folks!

I also hate when people attack others for liking a different genre. Like you stated, "The sheer ignorance and hypocricy of them saying "OH, YOU CANT UNDERSTAND THE LYRICS IN METAL. EVERYBODY IS JUST SHOUTING AND SCREAMING IN IT" and then proceed to listen to Oppan Gangnam Style.". It's just stupid to me. I've seen people that are into music that I think is terrible, and I don't leap at their throats for it. I don't like when they generalize a whole entire genre either, or they compare two completely different genres and come up with stupid reasons as to why one is better than the other.

Honestly, the "heaviest" song I listen to on a regular basis is this:

And yeah, that's "screamo" apparently.

I don't even listen to "screamo". It annoys me, as do ignorant people who call every band that picks up a guitar a "screamo" artist.

Oh, I just thought of another thing I like to listen to while writing. The entire Stadium Arcadium album by Red Hot Chili Peppers, though I prefer the first disc over the second.

Of particular note is the song Wet Sand.

Oh, I just thought of another thing I like to listen to while writing. The entire Stadium Arcadium album by Red Hot Chili Peppers, though I prefer the first disc over the second.

Of particular note is the song Wet Sand.

That's sounds like a pretty good song. I could possibly get into that. I can try to listen to music in the background while doing different things, but whenever I try to focus on something else while it's playing I can't help but sit and listen intently to the lyrics instead. I couldn't write with music in the background, but I could vacuum or dust since it doesn't require much focus to do so.