• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

SgtMerrick

Need some Civilization 5 tips

12 posts in this topic

I recently picked up Civilization 5 to play with a group of my friends, but to be honest... I'm pretty terrible.

Well, I say terrible, but half the time I really don't know how well I'm doing except for the fact I'm not dead yet.

If you guys could give me some tips I'd be very grateful.

I play as Wu Zetian (China).

EDIT:

Totally forgot to mention what Civs my friends play as.

Russia

Celts

America

Germany

Side Note:

Wu Zetian is my favourite female person from history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Zetian

I suck too :) and i haven't played much civ 5 but expand fast and try to kill off your friends in the early game

also for the the smarter people you shout say what dlc you may have of it its vanilla

also for the the smarter people you shout say what dlc you may have of it its vanilla

Fair enough.

I have all of it.

I wish I could help, but I tend to play most games somewhat similar despite different civs. I've started experimenting and going different routes the last few games I've played, but I've yet ot be China.

China definitely looks like you should go for the paper maker asap. That should give you a nice boost in terms of income and research. Other than that, what I'd do mostly depends on where I am in the world and all. I'm happiest somewhat near a coast where  I can carve out a nook and restrict where attacks can come from, for a while.

I played Russia once. Found the start to be explosive as I never seemed to be lacking resources. It's been a while and might have been before G&K, so...

Yeah, China doesn't seem like the best Civ, as it doesn't have a clear preferred victory. I'm not the best at Civ V, but here is how I play China. The paper maker helps with science, so build one in all cities to try and get ahead in Tech. A domination victory is probably what you want, because China gets Great Generals faster. You can attack before this, and you should, but start your conquests when you get the Chu-Ko-Nu or whatever its called, the Chinese special unit. Because it can attack twice in a turn it can be really useful for attacking cities. Remember that when you upgrade it into the gatling gun, it still has the two attacks per turn. You said your friend plays as Germany, so that means that he will get a army faster because of there trait. Russia is also dangerous because they get more resources, so see if you can get an alliance with whoever plays as her to get more traded resources.  

Russia is also dangerous because they get more resources, so see if you can get an alliance with whoever plays as her to get more traded resources.  

Oops. I may have nuked him. My bad.

By the time you get to nukes, it might as well be gg. Germany should be on their special tanks. America should have their special bomber (it's a bomber right?). The game isn't over, but the fact you've survived to nukes is awesome. I assume someone was going for a conquest victory.

Do upgraded chinese special units keep the 2 attacks a turn?

By the time you get to nukes, it might as well be gg. Germany should be on their special tanks. America should have their special bomber (it's a bomber right?). The game isn't over, but the fact you've survived to nukes is awesome. I assume someone was going for a conquest victory.

Do upgraded chinese special units keep the 2 attacks a turn?

They keep two attacks per turn when they upgrade to Gatling Guns. It's a nasty combo.

Yes, America get the B-17 instead of a generic bomber.

Me (China), Germany, Celts and Russia were all going for conquest, but the war was becoming expensive for all sides (we were fighting from the Ancient age all the way to the renaissance) so we drew up a peace treaty...

Then the "diplomacy" began.

By this point, I had a string of cities that I had taken from my fellow Civilizations and, to put it bluntly, they wanted them back. I asked for a few of my captured cities back, but... long story short, we grabbed our rifles again.

As it turned out, this is where it started to go a bit wrong for me. I screwed up a little with my tactical positioning and Germany Panzer'd a lot of "my" cities while at the same time, Russia sent a few infantry squads from the other side (I found out later they had an unofficial truce). I withdrew my army to defend my five core cities and switched to trying for a science victory. This is around the time I nuked Russia.

After a few turns of kissing Germany's arse, I managed to get him to withdraw (The player was my friend, so that probably helped) and obviously Russia was too busy recreating Metro so I managed to get my money and resource production under control again.

Then America happened.

Over Skype all of the players heard some music slowly fading in... After a few seconds we realised it was this music:

This, and the sound of my other friend (he was the one playing America) pissing himself with laughter as he sent Bomber after Bomber at our cities.

Bad times.

Still not sure where he got the money for the Bombers, though.

So yeah, my final cities were overtaken by Americans, Germany faced a similar fate, Celts were long forgotten in history (the player had to leave) and Russia was busy fighting off Supermutants.

I love this game :D

China is a good mid-game warmonger (the chu-ku-nu replace the arbalester and you get great general twice as fast with your UA)...GIven that, you should aim for a domination victory, especially since by taking that route, your preventing other players to get the cultural victory as fast...if you get a couple city-states in the process, youre also preventing a future diplo-victory from an opponent.

The best way to play any game of civ 5 (or civ 4) is sinergy, i.e. combine the advantages of your UU, UB and UA with your civilisation developpment (wonders, policies, religion)...so dont be shy to go to the civilopedia before starting a wonder or picking up a policy, as how to make it more usefull for you than it would be for other civs...exemple:  Temple of Artemis gets you +15% in ranged units porduction...wich is handy too pour out chu ku nu in the middle age to march toward the domination victory.  Im not telling you to learn all the game's mechanics by heart, but when your not sure of the usefullness of a desicion...go to the civilopedia, it take 5 seconds.

If youre interested, there is a bunch of guides on steam that are pretty helpfull to grasp the power of sinergy, that tells you how not to waste (oh so precious) turns in the early game, bref they tell you how to make the best out of a civ.  I personnaly like the ones by Zigzagzigal, but he asnt made one for china in BNW as far as i know...but there are still other simple but helpful guides out there ...here is one : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetai/?id=213044270

But yeah...B17 are deadly in the late game...and domination is surely more tough when 95% of the world is going for the same objective.  Sounds like a fun game you had, even though you didnt won :(

Civ is just the best

I might be a bit late with replying to this, but maybe it helps people who read this anyway

The best civs for aggresive gamplay are in my opinion Japan, Denmark, The Ottomans, China, and Germany. Japan and Germany are the easiest choices for agressive gameplay since Japans Bushido is incredibly useful when attacking someone, and Germany allows you to maintain a larger army than usual.

Of course, key to having a large army is having lots of money. The more cities you have, the larger your army can be. Beware however, agressive expansin will draw attention towards you and will make war more likely. A useful strategy for maintaining peace and beoming a rich civ is of course having lots of trade routs and trading lots of luxury resources with other civs. This will make them depend on you for their money and happiness. They will most likely not attack you now.

Also, in order to avoid being attacked (but you seem to be good at that, if i read you original post) forge strong friendships with your immediat neighbours. If they are weak you can always counquer them, but we will discuss that later. Always keep an eye on your science income. Being a modern nation means having an advanced army. This is one of the basic principles towards wiping out other players who still chill in the stone age. Culture is very important as well.

I advice to choose Honor as soon as possible and make a few units to wipe out barbarians, this will boost your culture enormously. Building the correct wonders is also very useful (statue of zeus, colossus, etc.) You will need money, so its up to you to find a balance between making money and science. Happiness will be essential, because high happiness will allow you to found more cities. Also, dont be too obvious in your intentiuons to attack someone. Be nice to them, build an army without them noticing, and when their defense is down, launch the blitzkrieg.

In order to capture cities, artillery/ranged units are ESSENTIAL. Without them, it will be like throwing your melee units into the fire. Soften a cities defense with artillery strikes and then move in for the final blow with a musketman or so. do NOT use horse-units on cities, they receive a penalty and suck at this. Of course your type of warfare depends on the age you are in, so you will have to change your strategies with each era. Again, science is very important.

if you want to be a strong militaristic nation however, dont focus on culture too much. Science and money are your main goals. Culture is useful later on, so do spend some time on it, but not too much. You will probably not be able to conquer the entire map early on, but when you get to the industrial era, this will become a possibility.

The most natural ideaology to choose is then, of course, autocracy. This is where culture starts to show up on the world theater. Autocracy will boost the strength of your armies and the hapiness of your cities based on what you have captured.

Order is also a great choice if your empire is already quite large because this will boost your production and happiness. Commerce is very useful in order to maintain an army as well, you need the money.

Rationalism is extrmely important, dont pass up on that one. Skip piety, its useless. And try to deceive others as much as possible. Dont give other civs too much. If they ask for strategi resources, dont. Unless they give you a sweet deal in return its ok, but you must not make them stronger. You can trade with them of course, but if it gives them the opportunity to expand and advance, just dont. Keep them in check.

Being the leader of the world congress is a big help as well, as you can weaken other civs happiness and resources with anough votes. Try to be an important congress member and vote your enemies into a crisis.

I am currently at my limit of writing down military knowledge, but if you have specific questions, please do aks them. I am almost always focused on domination so i might be able to answer most of your questions. Also, i have not discussed naval power in here, but thats because i dont use my navy a lot.

Right now, I'll buy Civilization V - Completed Edition for $50. But first, I will play the demo version in my Steam.