• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

PrinceofWar

Games that are not worth the hype they are given?

97 posts in this topic

*Puts on a helmet and protective padding* If I had to pick a game that is over-hyped I would have to say GTA San Andreas. While there are somethings I liked about it, like the improved aiming system, some new customization options for both characters and cars, and the much larger world than previous titles, it just felt like more could've been done. The story (yeah I know, complaining about story in a GTA game) is kind of meh and has been done to death and better. The characters are also very uninteresting, especially CJ who really seems to lack a lot of emotion and just feels like an avatar and nothing else. Plus the RPG like elements that were included in the game didn't do much for me and some of them were barely noticeable besides weapon proficiency and character weight, which even then were tedious to max out. It also doesn't help that the car controls and vehicles outside of cars still weren't improved enough, and lord knows how bad I rage quitted after I got to the RC plane mission. All in all, not the game I was hoping for.

It's a no brainer that Call of Duty Ghost is just a rip off. And oh, get this:

The game ends on a cliffhanger.

What a way to rip money off the fans.

And I seem a video were it was comparing MW2 and COD Ghosts and the ending were pretty much the exact same just edited a bit, talk about being lazy

Marvel VS Capcom 3 was beyond over-hyped. The fighting system is nice and the new characters like Deadpool were awesome but it did not have any variety or bonus content to keep me playing.

Grand Theft Auto V OWNS this in spades.

People were fired from their jobs over GTA V. An absolute insult. It's especially insulting when you consider the mediocrity of the game.

Thats a tough one, but im going to go out on a limb and say the elder scrolls online, im a HUGE elder scrolls fan and I just feel like im going to be disappointed.

That said while it may be over-hyped, which will be debated til it launches certainly. It will be impossible to know whether or not it will be disappointing til its release. Just my opinion though.

Most zombie games, save the Walking Dead & Last of us.. There's little that is interesting in seeing hordes of zombies anymore, people know the real story is the people & how they cope, but zombie killing games like Dead Rising and Zombie U are just dull. Now we have another Dead Rising... 

:c

In My Opinion

CoD MW2 to Ghost = overhyped

Bioshock Infinite = overhyped

GTA V = literally overhyped

BF3/BF4 = overhyped

Destiny = overhyped (altho i look forward to it, i think people are overhyped about it)

Warframes = definitly overhyped (played it, its great but not much else)

Titanfall = overhyped (not even a gameplay-demo got me interested... which is absurd considering the genre & the great details put into it)

Halo 4 & 5 = DEFINITLY overhyped

Call of Duty: Ghosts! God! Why do people buy COD games...that's just my opinion though.

Yes! A million times yes! Why the hell do people still buy those games!?

AngelKingUltra likes this

I can't believe I paid full price for the collectors edition of fable 3. Though it may be a long time ag I am still mad about it. I loved fable 2, what happened?

If you loved fable 2 then you should have played the first game , if you played the first game like me before fable 2 then you would have hated fable 2 i know i did.

To a greater extent:

-Skyrim

-Call of Duty games past Modern Warfare

-DayZ

-Halo series

-GTA 5

-Aliens: Colonial Marines

-Battlefield series beyond 1942

-Team Fortress 2 (Ironically I do play it from time to time)

-World of Tanks

-Borderlands games

To a lesser extent:

-Doom 3

-Fallout: New Vegas

-Assassin's Creed franchise

-Far Cry 3

-Rise of the Triad 2013

-Shadow Warrior 2013

-Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

-Bioshock Infinite

-Minecraft

Bioshock Infinite. It is by all means an excellent game, but it seems to have more praise than Bioshock which is simply not deserved.

Mass Effect, I few months ago I picked up 1 & 2 on PC thinking I'd delve in and do a single play through of the series. Apparently it turns out that if you pick certain classes on higher difficulty settings (e.g engineer) the game becomes a frustrating mess in combat.

"I know! I'll put my men behind that cover up front and support them from behind!", then I watch as the AI just charges through regardless.

It's quite likely i am simply not getting the finer points of the gameplay but the fact is I was left with a bad taste in my mouth and haven't really gone back after the first 13 hours.

Gears of War 3 - ultimately stupid. I've tried to think of better words but 'Stupid' just seems to cover it.

Yes! A million times yes! Why the hell do people still buy those games!?

I know right?! I'm so happy so many people agree with me! :) Thanks!

i personaly belive all games get overhyped

I kinda agree with this, they soemtimes market it as, the second messiah or a cure for a disease or some next step in technology THE MUST HAVE GAME or your old and irrevelant to modern day hip cultures....and  then its just a game :) consumerism and your social self respect for owning the title on release day with others in your social circle to gain respect in some weird way, is really a sad affair... when you think alittle to deeply about it.

I agree with a lot of the members who posted about CoD, Bioshock, and Halo. Both AC3 and AC4 were way overhyped and greatly underperformed. Far Cry 3 was a let down. I don't think anyone mentioned Marvel v. Capcom 3, and Ultimate Marvel v. Capcom 3. All Mario games starting with the Wii until now. Most Nintendo games are overhyped I think. Resident Evil too. Dead Rising, Street Fighter games that aren't available in the Arcade. The Batman games are too far overly regarded. I am a die hard Pokemon fan, but both gen 5 and gen 6 (especially gen 6) are overhyped. The new DMC too. I have to agree partially with those who said GTA V. The story was very bland, and after the game finished it got boring pretty quickly. There are a bunch of others, but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

the COD and battlefield games, AC3 was nowhere near as good as it was hyped up to be. Slinter cell conviction was not, and many others.

i personaly belive all games get overhyped

Naturally, all AAA-titles get overhyped. That is an absolutely logical thing to happen. But not ALL games do, no, sir.

SimCity ... surprised no one else has mentioned it. It's gotten great reviews (which I guess is a warning sign), but it lacks so many features from the old games, and many of the new features just don't work properly. It is one big bad design decision after the other and very quickly gets frustrating. Only thing it has going for it is literally the graphics, and I say that after having played with the brand new patch that just came out a few days ago.

I own or have owned every SimCity title ever released (including Societies which was just awful), and the new one is a massive disappointment. I love building games, and SImCity is one of my favourites. SimCity 2000 and 4 (with Rush Hour) are still the best in the series, but 2000 is too old for modern machines, but you can get 4 for like $5 on Steam. And in 4 you can build massive bulging metropolises which you can't in the new game (take advantage of modern hardware, yeah right).

FWIW: The expansion that just came out for SimCity basically just puts in some of the stuff that's missing from SimCity 2000, just with a slight twist to work with SC5

I think Skyrim is overhyped. it is a nice game don't get me wrong but what really bothered me is that they had like 5 voice actors in the whole game and everybody sounded the same... you'd think they would learn from TES 4