• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Calitrollnia

The Left Handed View

20 posts in this topic

I don't know why I'm so bothered by this but it has been annoying me for many years, ever since I started gaming. Why do most if not all games have their characters, npcs, etc right handed? I know that the majority of the world's population is right handed, but it is never shown or acknowledged in video games that left handed people exist. I would imagine that if it could be set in the settings of a game, you can change which hand your character is dominant in, but that could be a dream. And it's not just characters that aren't left handed, but shooter especially proclaim that all weapons are designed for right handed people only. You can argue that there are games such as Skyrim that you can equip weapons in the left hand. Yes and no because once you equip a shield, your character automatically puts his/her weapon on the right hand. Some also may say that this can be easily solved with a mod. Yes but only for the fortunate. PC gamers have that freedom to install mods such as a left handed mod, but for the consoles this is defiantly not the case. Am I the only one that thinks like this? That video games are saying leftys don't exist?

Am I the only one that thinks like this? That video games are saying leftys don't exist?

Nope, but it's an inferior little thing, really. The predominance in the world is to be right handed, it's not forced it just is. As such games reflect this. 

Nope, but it's an inferior little thing, really. The predominance in the world is to be right handed, it's not forced it just is. As such games reflect this.

I know but still, it should be acknowledged a bit more.

Probably has more to do with time than bias. I'm sure if there were a magical button devs could push that would make characters ambidextrous they would do so. But instead they'd have to do some programing shit to make it happen and they're already pressed for time enough as it is.

Now that you mention it, the last left-handed character I believe I saw was Taric from League. (Inwardly the fact that he uses his mace with his left hand actually irks me a bit, heheh. I guess the predisposed need to use my right over my left has worn into my gaming - like you, haha.)

Now that you mention it, the last left-handed character I believe I saw was Taric from League. (Inwardly the fact that he uses his mace with his left hand actually irks me a bit, heheh. I guess the predisposed need to use my right over my left has worn into my gaming - like you, haha.)

Well that's a bit weird, but hey at least Riot acknowledges ambidextrous people. I'll get the confetti lol
BSB likes this

RIGHT HAND MASTER RACE

but seriously, it's just an oversight. If you ask me to draw a knight I will put the sword in his right hand and shield left hand without even thinking about it. There are a few left handed swordsmen like link, chrono, sephiroth.

BSB likes this

Why do most if not all games have their characters, npcs, etc right handed?

They would have to make different animations

Personally im not too bothered, games tend to have one handed weapons and the majority of those are meant for right handed use, what can you do but design a game to compare to real life, however, games like TES and several other two handed games let me play right/left or both handed, which for me is just fine as there is always a dev team somewhere going that extra mile for us, being ambidextrous i dont care too much but i guess it can matter to some.

(not born ambi btw but had broke my right arm a few times over the years and had to learn to write/type leftie, so lucky me..)

Also when i first read the title of this thread it made me laugh as i thought it was on a whole other subject.. :)

The Right hand is the "right" hand.

Seriously, most game devs probably don't even think about that. It seems to be kind of a small issue when creating a game.

I don't know why I'm so bothered by this but it has been annoying me for many years, ever since I started gaming. Why do most if not all games have their characters, npcs, etc right handed? I know that the majority of the world's population is right handed, but it is never shown or acknowledged in video games that left handed people exist. I would imagine that if it could be set in the settings of a game, you can change which hand your character is dominant in, but that could be a dream. And it's not just characters that aren't left handed, but shooter especially proclaim that all weapons are designed for right handed people only. You can argue that there are games such as Skyrim that you can equip weapons in the left hand. Yes and no because once you equip a shield, your character automatically puts his/her weapon on the right hand. Some also may say that this can be easily solved with a mod. Yes but only for the fortunate. PC gamers have that freedom to install mods such as a left handed mod, but for the consoles this is defiantly not the case. Am I the only one that thinks like this? That video games are saying leftys don't exist?

If I was playing an FPS and my gun was on the left it F*** with my game so bad, on that note however I believe I did once play an FPS where if you swapped the controller layout to southpaw it swapped the gun side cant for the life of me remember the title though.

I doubt its really ever mentioned or thought I mean can you imagine them sitting around saying "Hey you know how we've never made a left handed feature? YEAH we really need to do that" on a side note though the FPS Black had the AK47's chamber eject shells out the left side right into your face.

Im ambidextrous :D

But I never thought much about it. I have played quite a few games where weapon placement was in the left (being the stronger) hand over the right, which seemed odd the first time I came across it because "normal" dictates it would be the right hand... That actually made me start paying attention down the line since the "dominant" hand would occasionally change based on weapon type.

And my favorite character ever seemed to be either a lefty or ambidextrous ... Sephiroth.

Calitrollnia likes this

Let's be completely honest here, it doesn't matter much at all. It's not like left-handed people is some kind of repressed social group who lives in the slums or something like that, I think it's a minor gripe and that's not what developers should be paying so much attention to xD

Why, don't tell me that you feel discriminated because of such a minor thing? 

There are games where you can change this (or at least one):

I've always played CS using the cl_righthand 0 ;)

Im ambidextrous :D

But I never thought much about it. I have played quite a few games where weapon placement was in the left (being the stronger) hand over the right, which seemed odd the first time I came across it because "normal" dictates it would be the right hand... That actually made me start paying attention down the line since the "dominant" hand would occasionally change based on weapon type.

And my favorite character ever seemed to be either a lefty or ambidextrous ... Sephiroth.

Sephiroth dundun dada! I forget the chant though.....

I'm left handed, and I don't notice it.

I'm left handed, and I don't notice it.

Ditto.

I'm just so used to seeing in game characters being right handed i guess. I remember in the old Unreal games, you could switch between left and right, no problem. Never used it much though. In FPS games, where this would be most noticeable i suppose, I don't really look at the gun that much for it to bother me, I'm usually looking ahead. Hell, looking at the picture Nya posted, makes it feel out of place to me, even though that's the way I'd shoot in real life.

But I'm actually really curious about trying this out now. Anyone know a decent FPS game that allows us to switch? Preferably a more recent one than the Unreal games.