• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

ElvenBlossom

DLC, your thoughts?.

39 posts in this topic

Is anyone else starting to get tired of DLC?, Since telltales the walking dead season 1 was released as 5 individual episodes I've started to see more games and DLC being brought out this way.

I know some people don't mind DLC and I know that some people detest it and see it nowadays as part of the game cut out before it's launched and sold to you afterwards.

I'm still on the fence but I am starting to get tired of it. Ok, some places actually spend a lot of time an effort making add ons to their games but it does seem like others are cutting out part of the story ( or Multi-player bits ) they feel the game can work without and selling it to you as an extra.

To top it off though it seems some people are taking it a step further and breaking up that DLC into parts or "episodes" and selling them to make more than they would have selling it as a whole.

So what do you all think of DLC?. Do you think it's a good thing, a bad thing or do you think some places are good with it whilst others are starting to become a joke?.

For me I think Joe said it best, for developers to stop selling incomplete games and creating DLC...or just give us DLC for free. So I agree paying for DLC needs to go in most cases, but there are some exceptions such as for MMOs.

Lhotse5 likes this

Exactly!, there are games like RPG's that I can sit there for 100's of hours playing an still have things to do, eventually they bring out a rather big DLC at a low cost which can potentially give you hours upon hours of extra fun.

Then there are those games that have a 4 hour campaign, a few maps in multi-player and a ton of DLC that costs the same as your initial purchase.

I am refusing to buy the latter types of DLC anymore as they are just milking you for as much money they can get, whilst not giving you anything other than what should have been in the game to begin with.

Rain likes this

I think I'll go with what Rain said as well.

I dislike DLC in all its forms since it inevitably leads to milking the consumer. If developers really wanted to use this as their excuse to make games more playable for longer periods of time then the DLC would be free. But they don't honestly care they just want the $$$$$$ for it.

I just inevitably gave in and accepted it over time... I just hope they stick to stuff I don't care about like costumes ,weapons and point pack types of stuff because anything even remotely story impacting, in my view, like characters and story "episodes" or even dungeons (which tend to be mostly free in my experience) should either be in the game already or freely given.

edit: i realized after posting that i didnt agree with what i said <.<

(I'm smart like that)

Edited by Kizra
BSB likes this

I'm fine with it as long as it brings significant content.

Not just the damn map packs, or other fluff.

There shouldn't be any dlc released within the first couple of months, that seems like they're blatantly withholding content to be released later for a profit.

Games are expensive to develop. Selling additions to the game is entirely reasonable. 

However, holding parts of the game hostage behind a pay-wall or removing part of the full game and selling it back to you is not.

I'm fine with it as long as it brings significant content.

Not just the damn map packs, or other fluff.

There shouldn't be any dlc released within the first couple of months, that seems like they're blatantly withholding content to be released later for a profit.

If they really are withholding content then it doesnt matter whether they release it immediately or after waiting a few months, it is (for me) unacceptable either way

I'm cool with DLC as long as it isn't story critical. Example of DLC that frustrates me is Mass Effect type DLC because most of those are story line critical and if you dont buy them you will be totally lost about a lot of situations. 

A good DLC that comes to mind is  the DLC from Metal Gear Rising. After your playthrough with Raiden the story wraps up. So they release two DLC were you can play as bladewolf(I love that little robot dog) and Sam. You got to play as other characters and get more of a background on them but it wasn't story critical.

As far as FPS games map packs as DLC is fine with me.

I own DLC for a grand total of 6 games.

Fallout 3 GOTY, Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition, Oblivion GOTY, Borderlands 2 GOTY, Batman Arkham City GOTY and Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition.

All of which I got for less than £5.

I refuse to buy DLC separately and I never will.  

Lhotse5 likes this

Expansions are best, however I like DLC like Halo 2's or Borderlands 2 Tiny tina's Dungeon and dragons DLC. I either want it cheap and a bunch of maps or a amazing DLC that is just new content. I don't like day 1 DLC and actually stopped buying them even if I bought the game months later. When I buy DLC I avoid their Day 1 DLC.

I like the idea of DLC and when used properly, it's a totally valid way to enhance an already good experience.

Telltale's episodic pricing model that the OP mentioned doesn't bug me, as they give you the option to buy it all at the same time or by episode which I feel is pretty fair. 

Unfortunately, a lot of companies seem to rely on DLC way too much and release a lot of crappy content.

One of the types of content that annoys me is the pre-order weapon DLC that is generally overpowered, unbalancing the game and making it too easy. It's one of the reasons I almost never pre-order games.

There's a game I actually love that's an example of the good and unfortunately, bad sides of dlc. That game is Borderlands 2.

They've released great content like Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep, which adds hours and hours of very enjoyable gameplay.

They've also released an absolutely massive amount of skins that would total around 30 dollars if you were to buy them all, in an FPS game where you barely ever see your character. Ugh.

If they really are withholding content then it doesnt matter whether they release it immediately or after waiting a few months, it is (for me) unacceptable either way

True, but if they actually are, I would prefer that they pretend like they didn't.

It helps me sleep better at night.

There is really nothing wrong with DLC, as long as it has been done outside development of the game. I couldn't care less if you make skins and ask 100$ for them, but if you make them before the game is ready, then it's not justifiable. I can pay 60$ for the content that is on the CD, but what comes after that, and I'm fine, but if I have to pay additional money to unlock the content from the CD, then I'm mad. I could care less if they ask 100$ for a poopgun DLC or 20000$ for other DLC stuff.

TWD game is "episodic gaming" though, it not exactly dlc, Not counting 400 Days because I believe its technically an add on. So, im not entirely sure what you mean by dlc being, "brought out this way."

Anyways, I support devs and publishers decision to bring out more dlc, its whats good for business. Regardless of if they withhold content or not (not counting disc locked content), dlc is a great way to keep making more money out of a game even if its selling power would be dying down. Or even better when the game is hot with day one dlc. Specifically to me though, I prefer my dlcs to be rich in content, like Citadel for ME3, Dragonborn for Skyrim or Dragon Age Origins. Though, im not above buying smaller scaled dlc.

Am i the only one who miss expansions? Damn i would have bought Bloodmoon or Tribunal as standalone games.

DLC such as Artorias of the Abyss for Dark Souls is what DLC should be. Really the last decent DLC I have bought for quite some time. Added hours of playtime to a game I all ready have hours in and brought tons of new lore speculations and great characters. Really it was more of an expansion then just merely DLC. It's a prime example of what DLC should be but sadly I doubt day one DLC or DLC that are locked on the disk, waiting for a release date will not stop anytime soon. Only thing to hope for is that they do better with it then what they are doing now.

Akirasolid likes this

One of the main reason I bought X-Rebirth, eventhough I knew, that it would be buggy as hell and probably not playable for a few month is egosofts policy with DLC. They make them, they release them free of charge. They added half a dozen missions to Terran Conflict after Launch and never wanted to see a penny for them. Huge Like!

Day one DLCs are really bullshit. DLCs that were clearly made after the game and add some more good stuff are accepteable. Like the Citadel DLC for ME3... That DLC in particular is like a freagin' loveletter to all ME-Fans. Or a really nice ransome note from EA, reminding us of what a cool franchise they hold in their clutches.

For Day One-DLCs it depends a little bit. If it's just some skins or a weapon which they give to people who preordered the game or bought a Collectors edition or which is used for marketing purposes, it's fine with me. If it's story content, or a character, it's not OK, not at all.

DLC that adds to the single player experience is all good in my books. Map packs can go die in a hole. It's sad when Duke Nukem Forever has better DLC than most 'AAA' games.

There are good dlc's that if you really like a great game like the fallout series dlc's, had big content and was really good! but having dlc before the game is out and to buy on first day is plain wrong, cheap easy way to earn more money at day 1 launch on any-game by using pre-order dlc and dlc's that you have to buy on day 1 that's not even part of the pre-order!

Seriously add content that is very small for free dammit I always say a no no for buying separate content on day 1

Also having small dlc like weapons, armor on any kind of game is just stupid, just add it, why pay $3 or 5 for it? normal dlc that includes big content to add to a game should be around $15-20.

Commander Shepard likes this

DLC that adds to the game, like the Borderlands DLC, Dishonored DLC, Far Cry 3 BLood Dragon DLC, and others are great. But there are bad DLC practices such as the BS Crapcom does and EA too.

Stop trying to nickel and dime me. Pack everything together and sell it all to me once. I hate seeing lists of DLC under a game.

DLC that adds to the game, like the Borderlands DLC, Dishonored DLC, Far Cry 3 BLood Dragon DLC, and others are great. But there are bad DLC practices such as the BS Crapcom does and EA too.

Exactly like I said, DLC used to be really good back then but now after a few years to now, developers are just still continuing to approach DLC the wrong way.

Commander Shepard likes this

TWD game is "episodic gaming" though, it not exactly dlc, Not counting 400 Days because I believe its technically an add on. So, im not entirely sure what you mean by dlc being, "brought out this way."

Anyways, I support devs and publishers decision to bring out more dlc, its whats good for business. Regardless of if they withhold content or not (not counting disc locked content), dlc is a great way to keep making more money out of a game even if its selling power would be dying down. Or even better when the game is hot with day one dlc. Specifically to me though, I prefer my dlcs to be rich in content, like Citadel for ME3, Dragonborn for Skyrim or Dragon Age Origins. Though, im not above buying smaller scaled dlc.

I simply mean that since TWD I have noticed some DLC seeming to be being brought out this way not that TWD is DLC, I should have gone into more detail but I was very tired. I'm just worried that DLC is going to become like this, splitting up a single piece of DLC into parts and selling each off individually to try and make more of a profit.