• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JamaldaZogg

Is the Kinect 2 a fail already?

21 posts in this topic

Hello to All,

I just finished watching Joe testing out the game Fighter Within for the Xbox 1 with the ever so promising Kinect 2, and man is it me or is the new kinect going to be a total fail like the previous version.

Now I know Joe has only tested this one game, however just by looking at the footage I can already see to my eyes anyway that there has not been a lick of improvement. I mean when you look at the movement that Joe was doing compared to the on-screen it's night and day. 

I'm not going to hate on Xbox, I have a PS4 but I'm glad that I went for the PS4. Now this doesn't mean that I'm all for Sony, no. I have an xbox 360, PS3, and late consoles and also a PC user... I'm really thinking about getting an Xbone later on but after seeing this I wonder if you can get the Xbone without the Kinect. 

So really I would just like to have some feedback.. Those of you that have the Xbone, is the Kinect really worth having at all.?? 

I would get an xbox only if you can buy it without the kinect, because there are some games I would like to try and have that are exclusive to Xbox. 

Anyhow would to hear from some of you guys

Chris

Fighters Within is an example of bad programming and hardly representative of Kinect as a piece of hardware. Like I said in the Fighters Within thread, I hope Microsoft will implement some sort of quality control for 3rd party 'Kinect only' games, so that abominations like Fighters Within, Fighters Uncaged and Steel Battalion will never be released on the Xbox (or PC for that matter, when Kinect becomes available on that platform). In potential, Kinect is an amazing piece of hardware, but all stands and falls with the coding for the software.

Berserker and JamaldaZogg like this

As much as I want to say the Kinect 2 is a massive failure and should be destroyed, I haven't made up my mind. Part of the problem may be that the game simply sucks. Another problem is that who knows how it responds to clutter in the room or the placement of the actual Kinect. A lot of people seem to say you need a LARGE room that is not cluttered for it to function well. I don't remember if Joe placed it on top of the tv like it suggested or if it was below on the tv stand at crotch level. Also, lighting can be a big issue. The Kinect doesn't seem to pick up depth very well from what I have seen and I feel like that can be resolved with better lighting. I mean if Joe can't "push" his hand forward to select something that could be a problem with it's depth perception. Same with leaning forward...

Maybe it will get better in the future when developers really start to get a feel for what works and what doesn't and focusing heavily on using the Kinect with what works. But I wouldn't hold my breath, it will more than likely be a failure.

Too early to tell yet.

Need to wait a year or two until someone develops a game that uses it properly.

It works with some things but doesn't work with others but whether that is down to shit programming or the Kinect itself being shit .... it's just too early to tell.

Fighter Within is an example of a terrible game. 

Berserker and Frozen_arow like this

Too early to tell yet.

Need to wait a year or two until someone develops a game that uses it properly.

It works with some things but doesn't work with others but whether that is down to shit programming or the Kinect itself being shit .... it's just too early to tell.

Fighter Within is an example of a terrible game. 

Depends on your view of terrible games tbh, for me that games intent was to give game reviewers and there like named friends heart attacks for the the viewing pleasure of others.. so a success for me.

Yes, it just goes against human nature. No one wants to take a shower, brush their teeth and do their hair just to answer a video call in a day & age where people hardly talk at all. They would rather text. Plus it does not reapond any better to voice commands than the original Kinect, regardless of what anyone says.

Sure it seemed like a great idea on the Jetsons but in reality, It is inconvenient.

Kinect 2 was a fail when they announced it. All motion control is bullshit 

I agree with this great man, at lest the first part. Kinect is bullshit.

The best part of the Xbox One are the voice controls.

Unfortunately, Microsoft attached a $100 dollar camera to the microphone. 

I think the Kinect works fine... as a dance peripheral. As a replacement for the controller... not so great.

It's never going to replace the ease of pressing a button, and it's still not precise enough to detect leaning. Hopefully Joe's Fighter Within stream has taught everyone that unless your Kinect game has the word "Dance" in it, it's probably gonna suck.

Gears Kondraki likes this

If pressing the buttons is easier and less time consuming than doing the Macarena then I would have to go with its not worth it.

Though that might just be the game being unable to use the technology very well. 

I think if Fighters Within would have button controls, it would still be a shitty game.

Does this one spy on you too? I rub my cock all over my current Kinect just in case the spying rumors are true, it's kind of a pain but it is the closest I'll get to making M$ suck my cock I guess.

Gears Kondraki and Divergence like this

It's just that motion controls are a gimmick just like 3D and for some reason microsoft wants to shove them up our bums.

Agreed, The whole motion control thing is a total fad/gimmick. Although with the one exception, The silly Dance games you play with your kids.

Oh and the original Wii Bowling was fun.

Hell, Bring back Light Guns! Like ones that actually work! None of that Socon garbage or crap wii remote holders in the shape of a gun. Real light guns with the look and feel of the original Duck Hunt!!!!

Real motion control systems that work, the ones that are made for the "handicapped" for instance, cost way more than the entire Xbox system, and they're still a long way from being more than "great" at best.

The Kinect uses low quality components and is designed to be massively mass produced at a minimum cost, and has no dedicated processor (afaik) to process the images. Expecting it to be more than a gimmick and extremely finicky would be rather daft. But it is very much up to the programmers, how well the Kinect's limited capabilities are utilized.

I reserve all judgment on Kinect related ventures until a year or so down the road, when more games have been released for it, and developers have had a fair chance to learn and utilize all the features.

Regarding whether or not the Kinect is worth having, I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. You never know what could pop up later.

Kinect should stay as a gimmick that you talk into and a social media device for Skype ect. 

For actual games oh god no the Wii has better motion controls and was release in 2006. Kinect is just trying to tap into the "Casual family" market. But the Wii already did that and those casual people have come and gone. Xbone doesn't appeal to me at all, unless there is an amazing exclusive.

The Kinect 2 is actually a great piece of hardware, Fighter Within is just an awful game.