• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gronth

Kingdom Come: Deliverance announced! New type of RPG incoming?

35 posts in this topic

So, the new Czech game developing studio, Warhorse Studio, announced their first big game "Kingdom Come: Deliverance", a medieval RPG game with first person perspective gameplay.

The game will take us to the beggining of XV century in Europe, where the Houndred Years war take place on the west, and the Eastern countries fight with Teutonic Order. But the only thing we know for now about plot, is that our hero will take some part in game to claim the throne (which throne? We dont know yet). BUT what is important, Czech dev team said, that game will be pure historical type of RPG. No magic, no mythological creatures, no fantasy! Can this be the start of new RPG type?

http://www.eurogamer.cz/articles/2013-12-18-oficialn-oznameno-vavrovo-rpg-kingdom-come-deliverance

In the screens we can see the crosses of Ordo Teutonicorum, aswell as the White lion of Czech Kingdom, so i assume that the action will take place somwhere in middle-eastern europe (Czech Kingodm, Kingdom of Poland, lands of Teutonic Order and maybe HRE). And if someone would be able to recognize what emblems the guy from 0:29 have on his chest, i'd be able to tell more ;).  Also in trailer you can see that game will have "wysiwyg" mechanics. If the armor is made of steel, it will act like this (look at the sword swing that hits the guy's head ;).

The game will be released in 2015.  What do you think about it?

zawisz and Berserker like this

I got started on RPG's with FFVII and have been through KOTOR, Fallout (1 3 and New Vegas) Mass Effect, Oblivion and Skyrim, The Witcher 2 and Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, as well as the Fable games. As you can see I am heavily interested in the genre, so I say if someone has something new let them bring forth their best and be judged.

Edit: Also some armor that works looks and feels like (Anything other than what the chicks tend to get stuck with) Actual armor would be FFing awesome.

Of course, but as you can see, all games you played were either fantasy or sci-fi. Actually, only game type that can be named historical are some fps's and RTS games. We didnt have real historic RPG yet.

For the people who don't read Polish, the website could prove more informative: http://kingdomcomerpg.com/

Personally, I'm very excited about this. A Realistic Historical RPG? That's a first for me. I'm very curious about where the game will take place. If It's during the Hundred Years War, It'd make sense if we could as either English or French. And how accurate will it be? I would guess something along with Assassin's Creed level of accuracy, in the sense that you won't be portraying historical figures, but more than likely a fictional character in a historically accurate world.

Interesting. Definetly going to keep my eye on it. Plus ill need something to play in 2015 because Battlefront wont be out because DICE is incompetent.

Of course, but as you can see, all games you played were either fantasy or sci-fi. Actually, only game type that can be named historical are some fps's and RTS games. We didnt have real historic RPG yet.

Of course that's what I was saying, if they have something new to bring to the table then I am most definitely interested.

For the people who don't read Polish, the website could prove more informative: http://kingdomcomerpg.com/

Personally, I'm very excited about this. A Realistic Historical RPG? That's a first for me. I'm very curious about where the game will take place. If It's during the Hundred Years War, It'd make sense if we could as either English or French. And how accurate will it be? I would guess something along with Assassin's Creed level of accuracy, in the sense that you won't be portraying historical figures, but more than likely a fictional character in a historically accurate world.

An RPG in the with a historically accurate setting, and realistic armor effects is worth a glance on its own, now if they pull it off right it could very well be a most entertaining experience. 

As i said, the game probably will take place in Czech kingdom and the countries in it's closes neighbourhood (look at coats of arms and flags ;)
But, they also say that itll be openworld title. We will se how big this world will be. And if they want it to be realistic (and if you saw the trailer its seems like that) they cant just leave the Houndred Years War alone, some there definately will be some accents. Same with the hussites, which i think will be pretty big story part.

And the site i linked is not in Polish, its in Czech! :P I Linked it because of trailers in it.

Could this mean...could it possibly mean that for ONCE ALL THE CHARACTERS WON'T HAVE AN ENGLISH ACCENT!!?!??!?!!  Plus if this is in medieval Poland, I had better be able to get winged Hussar armor

ITS CZECH FOR GODS SAKE. and Its in XV century, so no winged hussars, dont be so ignorant...

Edit:
For information for some people, just for future.

Winged Hussars started to show on battlefields around half of XVI Century. The Hussars most people are reffereing are from second Half of XVII century. Also, sorry fro ruining your imagination about them, but there were no wings attached. Only 2 times on king elections the chronicles say that some hussars had one wing attached to saddle. The frmation was cancelled in second half of XVIII century, because it was too expensive to stay as a regular army, and too archaic to look good on parades.

Could this mean...could it possibly mean that for ONCE ALL THE CHARACTERS WON'T HAVE AN ENGLISH ACCENT!!?!??!?!!  Plus if this is in medieval Poland, I had better be able to get winged Hussar armor

My English accent is quite offended.... Pfft does it even count as English if I'm American?... sure the language is English but I'm not.....

there's a brief gameplay video out there and the combat could be better. other than that it looks intriguing.

@up

Its third time i read yur post and i cant understand what are you trying to say.

1. It MAY be a new type of RPG. We had RPG's without magic, but mostly they had some sci-fi features. Im Gamer since being 6, and i cant really name a true, high end RPG based on history. So, we had non fantasy/magic RPG's, but we didnt have a history based one yet. (And no, AC series doesnt count as RPG based on histry)

2. History is not teached in some countries. Maybe, but some facts are facts, and you cant deny them. You cant deny the fact, that Hus was burned on stake in Constantia A.D 1415 or that Ordo Teutonicorum and western knights lost the battle of Tannenberg in 1410. The point is, from which side you show such moments, and that can be very spicy, and i like such experiments, cause i dont like gloryfying or demonizing any side of any conflict.. Also, if some player dont know anything about history and play such game and is like you said in "wtf did they do" stance, well maybe itll encurage him to go and check some histry books, or even (sigh...) wikipedia and widen their knowledge.

3. Actually, FPP in hand to hand combat is quite nice. Also, im very curious if the face-covering helmets will also affect your seeing range (thing like this is in War of the Roses). 

3a. Good animation of FPP hands and other parts of body is not so hard. it was proven in Riddick's games.

3b. Problem that you named, with hitting an enemy with long weapon in close quarters is not a problem now either. Go check Warband (especially with mods) or War of the Roses. If you have a long-hafted weapon there, and will try to swing it in close quarters (like agains a man with shord sword) the pole will glance/bounce f the enemy body doing no harm to them. Again, "WYSIWYG". Trying to swing a poleaxe from left to right, when enemy is so close to you that he can poke your eyes with daggger wont save you. And its a game that is like 3 years old or somehing.

And about crossing real world characters in game. If this works in historic based books, like the ones by Follet, Sapkowski, Clancy etc. etc. and films, it can work aswell in games (like Kennedy in CoD; Ghost. Great example how you can de-glrorify a historic person without insulting the person itself).

I Hope i enlightened you ^^.

Oh, and 2 posts up. Be aware that this is not even beta of the game. Im not sure if its even alpha. 

Hystorical based rpg we had in the past

Name some, please. Other than "mafia" and L.A. Noire. I don't what Mafia games you are referring to, and L.A. Noire is not a Historical RPG.

Its not about that they teach hystory or not, but about what are they teaching, you would be supprise how many difference can be in the hystorical "facts" between two neighborhood.

What?

Again, you are not really reading what i wrote.

I didnt say Riddick Chronicles had good melee animations (but it was above average for its time) i said it had good hands and leg animations while moving.

Second, i didnt say i want this game to have gameplay mechanics like in Warband, i just brught that up to show you, that yur argument about problems with weapons lenght in combat is wrong, and even so old games like M&B dealt with this kinds of problems pretty well and its not hard. 

Fights in AvP are totally diferent type of fights, in totally different kind of game, so i dont know why you are bringing them up o.O? If you expect unnaturally fast fights in full-plates then well...

Mafia series and LA Noir are not RPG's, nor i ever heard about any magazine, gamer, or website that would classify them as RPG games. 
Cursed Crusade definately dont count as non-magical game ;) Sorry, but in first 15 minutes of the game we have half demons, resurected corpses and ghosts. 

Age of Intrigue is a niche game, based on Play by Post mechanics, so ill leave it alone.

And about Age of Pirates, i emember that there was a side history about damned sailors, and the undead skeletons were in some caves guarding treasures. But yeas, it was based on historical events. Yet, not nonmagical. Sorry.

So, ill stand my ground and say that we didnt have real, non-magical historic RPG yet, and this game can start new subgenre in RPG's.

Edit: @up

I Must agree with berserker i didnt understand the last part of the post ;). IF you wanted to say, that same situations can be seen differently and judged differently in different countries its true. But the fact stays fact. Its simple, other things are opinions and judgements. Ill try to show it.

Fact

1410 Battle of Tannenberg. Teutonic Order and western knights lost a battle agains joint forcers of Poland, Lithuania, Rusian countries and Tatars

Opinion 1 from Polish-Lithuanian sight: The Polish and Lithuanian forces defeated treasonous "Teutons" and defended their countries and true christianity on their lands. 

Opinion 2 from Western point of view (at least from XV-XVI century. dunnno how its now): The holy crusaders form all of civilised europe have fallen to defend the true christianity and ideas of holy church and many brave knights like Ulrich von Jungingen died by hands of eastern barbarians.

BUT fact is a fact. Teutons lost a battle. Other things are just opinions and judgements.

Berserker likes this

IF you wanted to say, that same situations can be seen differently and judged differently in different countries its true. But the fact stays fact. Its simple, other things are opinions and judgements. Ill try to show it.

Exactly, and well put. It's on the developer to make that they stick to the historical facts, and not get into the bias that I'm sure all countries have regarding old wars, and battles. Having the game being noticeably biased could cripple the games overall experience.

Gronth likes this

an PRG becomes by my meassure a new type if he can change the basic apporach of the whole theme and create a totaly new experince, and honestly i dont see any clue that this is  happenning with this game.

Sorry but i had to, regardless if you will think that now im pulling your words out of your mouth or not. You just proven yourself that your point is wrong. A full historical RPG DEFINATELY will change the basic aproach to a genre at bring new experiences ;). Also if you edit your posts after writing it, add "Edit" on top of editing part, so we can actually see that you edited it. And thats fr everyone, the thread will be easier to read and navigate trough it.

Berserker likes this

an PRG becomes by my meassure a new type if he can change the basic apporach of the whole theme and create a totaly new experince, and honestly i dont see any clue that this is  happenning with this game.

The thing about that is, your measure isn't an industry standard. If a new game steps out of the established boundaries of It's genre, and achieves something no one's done before, it becomes a new genre/sub genre, whether you think it is or not.

Its really great that you shared it here, because if the game is atleast decent and historically done well, then im pretty sure that im gonna enjoy it. 

Watershard, do you read your posts before posting them? Your posts are total nonsense for me and you havent really understanded much about it in my opinion. 

Also read somewhere that how the helmets would affect the field of view with examples like war of roses if im not mistaken. I dont really know anything how its done in war of roses. But when they will do it with losing some of the view depending of the helmet, then wearing such a helmet has to be worth of the lost of sight because, so the game should have like a headshot feature.

I delete all my post, Gronth has right in everything,  and i swear i wont ever bother any of your posts.

have a nice day

I love RPG's as much as anyone, and this game looks very interesting (I also love history) and I'll be keeping an eye on this, but I like games that detach oneself from reality. As a concept, I can't help but feel this is slightly flawed as an idea. Restricted by reality, a bad move for a video game. I still have high hopes though.

@up.

Well, first 3 CoD, Brothers in Arms, Company of Heroes and all Total Wars were restricted (to some point) with history, and are great games ;). Too bad no RPG like this yet :(

It's not as restricted as one would think, just because It's historical in nature. Fighting wars is far more complex than reading a battle report on Wikipedia would indicate, there's a billion details that'll never see the light of day, because none of us were there to see them. Anything that historical records can't ascertain for certain, can be up for interpretation in a game like this.

If we're not playing as a well known historical character, but perhaps a fictional one, we have so much more freedom to explore the world.

Restricted by reality

The only restriction i see, Is that we kinda know how the story ends. We know how the story could start, and we know how it ends, but everything in between can be a surprise for us.