• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

90 posts in this topic

Just fixing an obvious error on these forums by making a thread dedicated to this amazing franchise. Well rather I just wanted to start a general thread to discuss it with fellow fans.

I first played The Witcher simply by chance I remember. I bought it because it was discounted at my local game store because TW2 had already been out for a few months. It looked very dated but that never bothered me as the mechanics clicked right away and I was soon drawn into the story, even though at the time many elements kind of confused me. I had no idea back then it was based on a series of books until a friend had told me, but despite some things being a bit jarring I was already invested enough that I played it through to the end. I got to TW2 around the time the Enhanced Edition was released, and was immediately blown away by it. Everything was improved although I know that is subjective, the story was much easier for me to understand as well I thought. I had initial difficulties with the new combat system like everyone else but I got used to it in the end.

Recently I started to collect the books which the games were based around (the ones released in english anyway) I found the fan translations of the ones that were not released also. Currently I am going through Sword of Destiny which I am nearing the end. I own The Last wish and I bought Blood of Elves last week, so I can jump right into the next one when I am done. I must say the books really are amazing so far.

I better stop writing now unless this thread becomes an essay titled "why I like the Witcher" so are there any other fans?

Fernack and kyuubikhajiit like this

The witcher series is great. I picked witcher 1 up in a store while i didnt know anything about it and the only thing i was dissapointed at was that it crashed a lot in my old computer, so had to reinstall it a lot but gave up later and picked it up immediatly when i got a new computer about 4 years later after aquiring the game. Havent played witcher 2 yet because havent felt the great need to play it yet. And what else can i say, i pretty much wanted a new computer because of the witcher series and skyrim. I also have the last wish and blood of elves and as i can see from your text, then they finally have translated another one into english.

For me witcher series is the best RPG series at the moment because it has a lot of dialog options thanks to what the game isnt black and white like most rpg-s these days but more like gray or so. And im really excited about witcher 3, escpecially after they said that they will not be making boring sidequests like that of skyrim. 

Also, hands down, cd project red is the most gamer friendly developer there is.

Vincentdante likes this

Yeah CDPR are easily the best developer right now. They are consumer friendly and give buyers so many incentives with extras. Supporting the games years after release as well with the enhanced editions which are free to previous owners is icing on the cake.

I highly recommend TW2 especially if your anticipating the third game. But more so because it is a fantastic game.

Regarding the books, Sword of Destiny which I mentioned wasn't officially released but they have a fan translated version for download over at the official forums. It takes place between Last Wish and Blood of Elves and the publisher annoyed many english readers by skipping it. However they have finally released the next book in the series recently called Times of Contempt which is a sequal to Blood of Elves :)

Never played it, i wanna try out the first game, but the combat just seemed so messy so it's still in my backlog, does it get better? i really want to play this series, it seems like my type of game, and gotta love CDPR policies. 

Never played it, i wanna try out the first game, but the combat just seemed so messy so it's still in my backlog, does it get better? i really want to play this series, it seems like my type of game, and gotta love CDPR policies. 

You have no idea what your missing my friend go play them now if you don't like the combat then the story alone will keep you interested.

The Witcher franchise is one of my all time favorites, currently playing through Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings again at the moment, nearly finished for the 3rd time  :P The story in the franchise is fantastic.

Can't wait for Witcher 3. CD Projekt Red for life!

Witcher 3 is going to be 64-bit I'm pretty sure! I really like this franchise and CD's no DRM policy.

Anything that is being released only on the next gen consoles will require 64-bit for a PC player.

The witcher franchise is defianitly one one of my top 5 favorite series. I picked up the first one on steam out of curiousity, and i don not regret buying it one bit.

I'm soooo pumped for the Witcher 3.

Posting everything we know about Witcher 3 so far:

General
-The grand finale to the legend of Geralt of Rivia
-A standalone adventure easily accessible to new players
-Meaningful choices with consequences that change the story and the game world
-Quests and main story threads that can be resolved in any order or completed in parallel
-Unforgettable quests deeply linked with the core storyline and designed with care to draw players in
-A breathtaking cinematic introduction illustrating the game background
-Unique atmosphere, memorable characters and gritty dialogue
-36 different final gameworld states and three different playable epilogues

Open world
-A vast open world - 35 times larger than that in The Witcher 2 Multiple ecosystems and cultures that players can move between at will. Also confirmed to be 20% bigger than skyrim.
-Regions with different inspirations and deep cultural references, each with a distinct feel
-Free exploration unspoiled by loading times

Living world
-A world shaped by the player's decisions, but which, left to itself, goes on living
-A realistic day and night cycle
-A dynamic weather system
-A living economy:
The new in-game economy system varies the price of goods based on surrounding conditions or their place of origin relative to Geralt's current whereabouts in the world: the price of fish might differ depending on distance from water, and a village lying on a trade route for trappers and hunters might have many tanneries and leather workers, affecting the price of crafting components and armor.
A unique, deep, consistent and expansive game world based on that described by Andrzej Sapkowski

Combat
-A dynamic, tactical combat system rooted in traditional RPG systems
-Combat complexity based on a variety of actions at the player’s disposal, not on correct attack sequencing
-A Witcher Senses system bringing new tactical depth to combat
Monsters, each with their own lore, posing unique hunting challenges and responding to changes in the environment

RPG
-A tutorial built into the game, allowing players to dive into the world of the Witcher with ease
-Involving investigations and rewarding hunts through the Witcher Senses mechanic
-A completely rewritten RPG mechanic allowing players to see the influence of statistics on gameplay
-An expanded Sign casting system: each of the 5 Signs has two different modes of use, creating even more possibilities in combat and challenging players to use magic in creative ways
-A highly-intuitive Alchemy system
-An expanded character development system
-Advanced Crafting mechanics

Visuals
-Fully dynamic light and shadow effects throughout the game world, generating superior atmosphere and ambiance
-Detailed, realistic locations through a significant increase in polygon numbers
-A deep role-playing experience through visually attractive, film-like presentation

Vincentdante and Fernack like this

I've been addicted to this game since I played the first years back. I make a habit for going for the odd games that don't stick out as much or seem on a whole unique compared to the usuals. I was more then happy when I bout this gem for my laptop. The Witcher is by far one of my favorite franchises. Each installment has only been getting better, though it is sad "The Witcher 3" shall be the last. I am overjoyed their going to give it the finale that it deserves and definitely look forward to playing the last. 

An excellent series and company

Very Excited about TW3. Not So excited about having to probably buy another 7970 to cross fire so I can play it on Ultra in Eye infinity. Wont the kids be amused when I say what did Santa get you.. Oh very nice a pair of sox, and what did Daddy Get this year? Oh look another 7970ghz GPU... You must of been bad this year, welp there is always next year, I'll be hooking this up if you need me.

Very Excited about TW3. Not So excited about having to probably buy another 7970 to cross fire so I can play it on Ultra in Eye infinity. Wont the kids be amused when I say what did Santa get you.. Oh very nice a pair of sox, and what did Daddy Get this year? Oh look another 7970ghz GPU... You must of been bad this year, welp there is always next year, I'll be hooking this up if you need me.

Haha, I am more than likely going to have to build a new rig to run it. I have a HD4870x2 which although a great card is now getting on in hardware years. Sadly I have an old AM2+ mobo and a phenom 9950 2.6ghz which would mean simply upgrading the gpu would be pointless.

Posting everything we know about Witcher 3 so far:

General

-The grand finale to the legend of Geralt of Rivia

-A standalone adventure easily accessible to new players

-Meaningful choices with consequences that change the story and the game world

-Quests and main story threads that can be resolved in any order or completed in parallel

-Unforgettable quests deeply linked with the core storyline and designed with care to draw players in

-A breathtaking cinematic introduction illustrating the game background

-Unique atmosphere, memorable characters and gritty dialogue

-36 different final gameworld states and three different playable epilogues

Open world

-A vast open world - 35 times larger than that in The Witcher 2 Multiple ecosystems and cultures that players can move between at will. Also confirmed to be 20% bigger than skyrim.

-Regions with different inspirations and deep cultural references, each with a distinct feel

-Free exploration unspoiled by loading times

Living world

-A world shaped by the player's decisions, but which, left to itself, goes on living

-A realistic day and night cycle

-A dynamic weather system

-A living economy:

The new in-game economy system varies the price of goods based on surrounding conditions or their place of origin relative to Geralt's current whereabouts in the world: the price of fish might differ depending on distance from water, and a village lying on a trade route for trappers and hunters might have many tanneries and leather workers, affecting the price of crafting components and armor.

A unique, deep, consistent and expansive game world based on that described by Andrzej Sapkowski

Combat

-A dynamic, tactical combat system rooted in traditional RPG systems

-Combat complexity based on a variety of actions at the player’s disposal, not on correct attack sequencing

-A Witcher Senses system bringing new tactical depth to combat

Monsters, each with their own lore, posing unique hunting challenges and responding to changes in the environment

RPG

-A tutorial built into the game, allowing players to dive into the world of the Witcher with ease

-Involving investigations and rewarding hunts through the Witcher Senses mechanic

-A completely rewritten RPG mechanic allowing players to see the influence of statistics on gameplay

-An expanded Sign casting system: each of the 5 Signs has two different modes of use, creating even more possibilities in combat and challenging players to use magic in creative ways

-A highly-intuitive Alchemy system

-An expanded character development system

-Advanced Crafting mechanics

Visuals

-Fully dynamic light and shadow effects throughout the game world, generating superior atmosphere and ambiance

-Detailed, realistic locations through a significant increase in polygon numbers

-A deep role-playing experience through visually attractive, film-like presentation

Thanks for this :D It will be nice re-reading these to fuel the hype machine.

I'm about in the same boat. Its about time for me to upgrade from my GTX 560 Ti. I'm setting my eyes for the GTX 780 Ti I've heard is coming out. I want it to look especially good when I begin recording Witcher 1-3. Works for me since I game on a single monitor.

Talking about features for the Witcher 3. I think the part that excites me the most is that monsters are supposed to behave realistically and that your going to have to hunt them using your wit and following subtle clues they might have left behind, and with how the environmwent changes on top of that adding to the challenge. A game where you actually have to use your head and your skills.

Very ambitious CDPR but I always have faith in developers until the day they let me down. So far CDPR are the only developer to have not done that so I'm very hopeful that this is going to be as amazing as it sounds.

The Witcher is one of the most impressive upstart series from an up and coming dev I have ever had the priviledge of playing. Truly masterful and The Witcher 2 is in the shortlist for me as a potential game of the gen.

Does anyone know if The Witcher 2 got shit for its sex scenes?

Im just curious because I remember Mass Effect got slammed for having pretty much a pg13 love scene with alittle side boob.

Does anyone know if The Witcher 2 got shit for its sex scenes?

Im just curious because I remember Mass Effect got slammed for having pretty much a pg13 love scene with alittle side boob.

As far as I know I think The Witcher 2 flew under the media radar.

Because who cares about a game made somewhere in soviet Europe? (sarcasm mode of)

I started playing the first Witcher multiple times, but I always end up dropping it halfway through. The last time I stopped I think Geralt was in some kind of town investigating something. I'll finish it eventually though! maybe

I've heard only good things about The Witcher 2, but I'm kind of afraid that my computer would go up in flames trying to render that game.

CD Projekt really seem to be on a roll at the moment, I'm excited to see how their studio will develop over the years!

The Witcher also have only sold 1.5 million during it's release and that is pretty sub par considering it's on three platforms. Low sales means less recognition. It was pirated 4.5 million times but it was reported that the Witcher series have now sold 6 million today which means that pirates who liked the game probably have bought just to support CDProjektRed

The Witcher also have only sold 1.5 million during it's release and that is pretty sub par considering it's on three platforms. Low sales means less recognition. It was pirated 4.5 million times but it was reported that the Witcher series have now sold 6 million today which means that pirates who liked the game probably have bought just to support CDProjektRed

Ah yes I saw the info graphic they released :D

i2n2.jpg