• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gronth

Amazed by Telltale games O.O

17 posts in this topic

HARD SPOILERS BELOW!

Hi. Im just trough my marathon with The Walking Dead: Season One and "The Wolf Among us episode 2"

Before i start, i must say, that i never got into TWD before, and to be honest the comic series was boring for me. Not mentioning the TV-series, but i sometimes watch it if i have some spare time. 

About "Fables", i never heard of this series before now.

So, first off, the TWD.

i must say, one of the best stories ive ever played. Its simple by mechanics, but the story is great, thought sometimes predictible (Come on, who thought that black protagonist would've live trught the entire season ;)) Game just kicks you in the face, with hard, gruesome and depressing background, the music etc etc. And it affected me, and really made me think about myself. And believe me... thats something.

So, heres an example. The Ben. GOD i hated that character. And i know it was wrote this way on purpose. But i only waited for a moment to get rid of that guy. And then it comes in EP:4. And when i let down the Ben, and the game showed, the breaking legs, and the screams of him. Man... the game just smears the feeling of guilt on your face.

Also the statistics that shows you how other players did trough the episodes are nice... you can see how big psychopath you are -_-.... I mean, come on... it showed me that just abut 20% players killed the whole cannnibal family. Damn...

Characters are just great, you reallly like, or hate them. And thats nice, it means they are wrote by some good writers. 
Also, the ending, with Lee going to die is just... wow. 

Also, i just loved the standoff between Lee and the Stranger\kidnapper. I was playing in my headphones and just this silence... no music... no other noises... just two men with shitload of "baggage" seating face to face and dueling on words. Just vrilliant scene. IMO, one of the best in gaming. And i played alot of games, believe me.

I mean, words cant explain all i felt trughout the game, but i felt sad.... sad... as... fuck. It just like Telltale kicks you in the nuts screming "THERES NO HAPPY ENDING BIATCh". And thats good. Was amazed, sad, felt really "beaten" after finishing this.

After that i reached for "TWAU". Not reading anything about the game before, just my friends told me "ya know, its a fun point'n click with fables from our childhood". I think bastards did this on purpose -_-. I MEan, me, and a lot of you guys definately were raised on many, if not all fables and stories that are in this game, told to us by our fathers, mothers or even grandparents.

So, the games starts, the Bigby (another great character. Thats just how i'd imagine a wolf in human skin^^) walks into the building, and there is the cnversation with Toad. And im like "Oh, thats nice... and funny. Gonna be goood antidepressant after TWD"

Boy... oh boy how wrong i was O.O,

30 seconds later, BAM, you see the hero from your childhood (always liked wolf aswell, cause he was badass. but ya know... wooody wins :P), the brave Woodsman.... beating the shit out of a hooker.... and im just like "What the... why? Oh fucking come on really o.O"?

Its 21:26, i finished the game like 30 minutes ago, and im just sitting here... with my childhood ruined o.O. Woodsman, beating fuck out of a hooker, the monkey from oz, the damn alcohlic, Toad is a damn slum thief (also nice character and sad character at once. I mean if you think abut it... its a lone father, raising his son is such shitty place Gonna make you think about this problem in real life). 

Game is brutal, music is great, plot is very nice and wow. just... im wasted... and amazed in the same moment. 

I was raised on the actual Grimm Fairy tales where there was actually rarely a happy  ending.. They where actually twisted over time to be all happy and crap over time, a reflection of society so to speak....

"Fairy tales" in general where made to induce fear and warn kids not to "do this shit" because it wouldn't bode well for them if they did.

There's your learnin about "tales" for the day.

otherwise I really have no comment about the game.

The Walking Dead was good, but I didn't find it as a GOTY material. The story was great, characters were nice, but the fact that your choices were almost meaningless, yet they gave you the idea that your choices would have some difference. Kenny's (possible) death was the biggest disappointment. If you save Ben, he will have last stand with Ben, but if you don't save him, he will help Christa and possibly die. I don't know if there ever was s choice that would actually matter, since most of them just felt ''Are you going to kill this evil person and let him suffer, or are you going to ease his pains with a bullet'' stylish somewhat naive choices. Telltale's WD felt like LoU without the survival horror part. WD didn't feel like a traditional point and click game where you would have been allowed to go around and explore the world, but instead you were stuck in these hallways with very easy puzzles that didn't even need more than a single thought. The game felt more of a visual novel than an actual game.

As someone who's big TT fan (since the Sam and Max season 1) I felt somewhat disappointed to the WD. After playing the first episode of The Wolf Among Us, I was really surprised how they captivated the film noir style with the atmosphere. It really felt like you couldn't trust anyone. The game also explained everything nicely for a person who have never read the original comics. I just really hope that my decision of capturing the Woodsman don't end up being another meaningless decision, and mostly I hope that they will bring up much better way of exploring and investigating on the next episode.

I most say when I play the wolf among us, I was so in love to this univers i begin to buy all the bd of fables. and yes this the names of this series not to make wrong with the series fable of lionhead studios. :lol: it is make by dc univers and the name of the authors is Bill Willingham. it's Worth it.

@Cheufade, 

Iike the  whole scene in the bar, althought i didnt realise the guys with scar was grendel until he changed. It really felt good, when the Bibgfy went rage, and you could whoops the Grendelss ass.

Also, did you tear off his arm?

Oh, and personally, i left Woodsman run. I thought, that he couldnt be able to jump trought the fece at Woodlands, after getting beaten so hard. Also, he would've walk differently, cause someone stabbed himself on the spikes there. Also, if you look throught the mirror and ask about Woodsman, he is roaming at the street somwhere, and i think the shop window that appeared there, is right next to Trip Trap.

From the other side, there was some jeans fabric, and if Woodsman wouldve been in Trip Trap all the time, the mirror would show him carrying his axe, which i didnt see in the mirrors vision, and the axe was in the bar. 

Also, cant wait to the moment when Wolf will completely loose his shit, like the ending "next time on" showed.

I love TWD it is an amazing game (up to series 2 just the other day, can't wait for the rest of the episodes). Although for me, my major gripes, the fact the your actions and choices don't have far enough reaching consequences. No matter what bandits will attack the motel, no matter what lee is going to get bitten, no matter what the cancer people will bash kenny and steal the boat. Your actions don't mean as much as they should.

The second thing for me was just terrible, so bad it would literally rip me from the game world and completely fuck up the immersion of the game. Sadly they were usually small things, things like, when you first go to the motel and you have to find a quiet way to kill all the zombies so they don't all hear you. You end up having to grab a pillow and use it as a silencer for a gun -.-....pillows don't even silence my screams (literally) let alone a gunshot so a zombie 5 meters away doesn't hear. Then you have to push a car to slam a zombie into a wall, that car slamming into that wall, even at that speed would have been enough for the zombies to hear.

But the worst offence!!!! At the train station, the door is locked, lee boosts clementine onto his shoulders to look through the window, she reaches her hand in and....somehow unlocks the fucking door. THE DISTANCE FROM THE HANDLE AND LOCK TO HER HAND IS MORE THAN 3 QUARTERS OF HER ENTIRE BODY LENGTH, SERIOUSLY WTF!!!

There are quite a few little things like that, that ruin the gaming experience, seriously it needs a little more thought than that,

Narrlocke likes this

Nice to finally see that im not the only one who thinks that your choices dont really matter in TWD and TWAU.

I would also agree that the games arent really point and click games.  TWAU didnt even have any puzzles in my opinion. I really liked TWAU universe but the biggest problem i had that i was pretty much watching a movie then playing a game and i wanted to play a game. Also in TWAU there was so much places where they could have made actions interactive and i would really liked those places to be interactive but no, you get a cinematic. TWD season 2 had also some places that could have been interactive but not like that i would really like them to be interactive.

I also hope that GoT game TT is making isnt going to have comic like graphic style. Because it probably would be off. 

@Vikeyev

Actually the thing with doors is legit. I myself have doors to the backyard, that can be closed on a normal lock, and/or, on one sliding type lock at the top of the doors.  Also, notice that these doors in that particular moment dont have a normal, popular in USA doorknob combined with lock, neither the normal lock under the handle ;)

Also, i dont think about the hoices as a big letooff (some things will happen no matter what), yet you cant really tell if they doesnt matter in TWAU. Actually ending of ep 1 seems like it may have a big influence. In my game, i got the few second scene, with someone scared shitless saying "... So you are saying that Woodsman is out there running free?" and then the scene with woodsman and his axe bashing some door. If you catch woodsman, the story will probably take different direction.

to my view, I believe the studios who make TWD and TWAU as some really good future if he can be good developping. I mean I am sure he can be as good as cd project or even bioware if they can make games with mores budgets.

Nice to finally see that im not the only one who thinks that your choices dont really matter in TWD and TWAU.

Here is a graph I found on reddit: http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/the-walking-dead-graph-by-gamesbeat.jpg

It shows all of the choices and how they affect the game.

Honestly, looking at that shows just how worthless most of your decisions really are.

They have great stories but I don't entirely feel they deserve to be called GOTY material. Yes they have a great story and yes they have interesting art styles but since they are merely interactive stories they lack in the gameplay department which can make the game drag on after awhile. I did enjoy Walking Dead Season 1's story but I somewhat got tired of the repetitive gameplay since really there is no gameplay besides talking and making choices.

anubist800 likes this

That's why I believe if we can give them some times they can be really impressive with a big budget argetlam350. You know maybe if they can have more money they can make some games with really good choices who can affect the history and they can competitive against cd project or bioware don't you think ?

im finding telltale games are very good, with the story content and of the multiple choices for you to make. With a borderlands game by telltale and a game of thrones, i cant wait to see what they do with the character and whatnot

hiyeah . me to Spykidd7.  I want to see what the futur reserve for us . I mean exemple when i know bioware was sold by ea , I was so sad ! I'm again continue to give bioware some support but when it come to ea... geez it so deppresive.

I was raised on the actual Grimm Fairy tales where there was actually rarely a happy  ending.. They where actually twisted over time to be all happy and crap over time, a reflection of society so to speak....

"Fairy tales" in general where made to induce fear and warn kids not to "do this shit" because it wouldn't bode well for them if they did.

There's your learnin about "tales" for the day.

otherwise I really have no comment about the game.

Haha only tales I was raised with were the bible, an let me tell you..... its like the HBO of ancient literary works.....

Btw telltale is making a borderlands game so that should be fun

One of my problems with TWD game is that a lot of the choices are an illusion,as they give the appearance of choice, but don’t do anything to alter the storyline one way or another.

You would know this if you played it a second time

As well as "choices" that,no matter what you do,still have the same outcome.

argetlam350 likes this