• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Mexman

Kids and technology

33 posts in this topic

I've noticed this for a while now and I decided to see what you guys and gals think about kids getting iPhones 15, iPads 7, $10k PC, and so on and so forth I'm not saying dont buy your kids these things but I'm seeing 7 year olds with the new iPhone and a 12 year old with iPod iPad and an XBOXONE and PS4 so now to my question

What do you guys think about kids getting there hands on technology?

I personally think kids should recieve things in moderation most kids (especially now) are too pampered and spoiled they are ready for the responsibility that comes with having these things (anyone who has played the recent COD games knows this) I admit if your kid is mature enough to handle having an iPhone then that's fine get them one but just because a kid needs a phone for let's say they need a ride from after school practice doesn't mean they need the newest one start tem off with a good reliable phone something that if they break can easily be replaced

Fuck! likes this

Millennials suffer from entitlement mentality and bad parenting.

Spoil your kids if you want, but I'm not paying for man-child's welfare.

It's terrible. Little kids should not have 2-500 dollar phones. Get them a fucking brick if they REALLY need a phone. I have two cousins with kindle fires. Both of them. Oh, and they're like 5. It's irresponsible on the parents part

Bimpy782 likes this

They should have them as soon as possible imo. Technology equals future. The more they can learn, the more knowledge they gain from it, the better.

Imo it is not technology that spoils children, it is all sorts of thing and if it involes technology, it mostly consists of games.

But I ofcourse agree with what Mexman said:

get them one but just because a kid needs a phone for let's say they need a ride from after school practice doesn't mean they need the newest one

Sigma081, Fuck! and Gone too like this

it's only a problem if they break it, if they don't everybody benefits. i cant blame kids for wanting these kinds of things, did i get a cellphone when i was a preteen/kid/child etc.? nah, but i was born in the 90's so i didn't have to worry about such things at the time.

As much as I hate seeing little kids with the newest and greatest technology, it's only to be expected. 

You learn quickest and easiest at a young age, so when these kids are our age, they will have no problem transitioning into future tech. 

My two year old knows how to navigate through my smartphone and kindle with ease, of course I monitor him because I'm not made of money, but that's just how things go with technology. In our parents day you were considered high class to have a cell phone, now everyone has one as they are relatively cheap. 

Embrace kids having what we could not have, they will be better off, technologically...

Gone too and ViralBunny like this

and a 12 year old with iPod iPad and an XBOXONE and PS4 so now to my question 

Don't know why that would be a problem I was taught to use a computer at 3 and had SNES bought for me then. I imagine a lot of us here and others had consoles bought for them at a young age. 

doesn't mean they need the newest one start tem off with a good reliable phone something that if they break can easily be replaced 

Well if we go by that most teenagers and adults I know shouldn't have phones or breakable things in general. Almost no one seems to be able to take care of their phones/tablets/Ipod/etc. But, yeah, there's no reason for a five year old to have the best phone available.

Gone too likes this

Don't know why that would be a problem I was taught to use a computer at 3 and had SNES bought for me then. I imagine a lot of us here and others had consoles bought for them at a young age.

Well if we go by that most teenagers and adults I know shouldn't have phones or breakable things in general. Almost no one seems to be able to take care of their phones/tablets/Ipod/etc. But, yeah, there's no reason for a five year old to have the best phone available.

Well you seem mature enough that this doesn't apply to you what I don't like is spoiled kids getting these things and acting like kids there age look at the COD online community most are kids that aren't ready for that game

And also like you said you were taught how to use a computer not just given it and left to yourself you had someone making sure you keep what you were doing

Times change. I'm sure old farts think kids were over privileged to be able to play video games when they first came out or to watch TV when it was first mass marketed. Also, I recognize the fact that I have no right to tell anyone how to raise their kids so I'm not going to pretend like I'm some parenting guru who knows what's best.

Millennials suffer from entitlement mentality and bad parenting.

Spoil your kids if you want, but I'm not paying for man-child's welfare.

That's a generalization. And LOL, yes you are paying their welfare unless you'd find it more comfortable in a jail cell after the IRS comes wanting to know where their money is.

Gone too likes this

Times change. I'm sure old farts think kids were over privileged to be able to play video games when they first came out or to watch TV when it was first mass marketed. Also, I recognize the fact that I have no right to tell anyone how to raise their kids so I'm not going to pretend like I'm some parenting guru who knows what's best.

That's a generalization. And LOL, yes you are paying their welfare unless you'd find it more comfortable in a jail cell after the IRS comes wanting to know where their money is.

I'll give away all my money and quite my job so that can't take any.

As long as the parents teach the kids about the value of that technology and how it can go away as easily as it came or make that kid earn it. I had to earn my first cell phone when I was 11.

Damn... I only 25 I shouldn't feel old.

likes this

My son just turned two and still at the stage of playing with box the toy came in, but I will likely be facing the issue myself in few years. I'll be considering if the kid A really need the gadget, and B how likely he his to break it. He's got a few educational toys that look phones and tablets and that's cool because he'll familiar with such devices when he his ready to use them.

It'll be long time before I'll let him have really expensive stuff though.

kids getting all these things annoys me, when I was a kid 15 years ago all I had to play with were my toys and playing outside, we never had cable only an antenna but I was happy with that. When I have kids I'm not giving them some fancy phone. The phone I get them will be some crappy $10 phone

As long as the parents teach the kids about the value of that technology and how it can go away as easily as it came or make that kid earn it. I had to earn my first cell phone when I was 11.

Damn... I only 25 I shouldn't feel old.

I feel ya, my first phone was a flip phone when I was 14 or so. I am 22 now :P gonna be 23 on the 8th 

of course because that was when video games were for kids, they're not for kids anymore :P lol

I think that you're sounding jealous.

I don't have an iPhone, I don't have an iPad, I don't have an super expensive $10K Computer, I don't even have a PS3, PS4, or such.
But I'd never dream about forbidding anyone else to get this based on their age. I taught my sisters how to play games their entire life and they have had more computers in their life than I've had in my entire life.But only one of then is actively playing games while the other one hates them. Apart from this, they've had something like 10-15 different cellphones while I've had 4-5 maybe.

But I don't care.
Let kids have technology because when I grew up, I did not. Technology can equal better understanding, better intelligence, and most importantly, a better way of life as well as providing a healthy outlet if they're frustrated (i.e. gaming) or just need to talk to their friends (i.e. chatting). Now if you excuse me, I need to add some Aliens and Jurassic Park toys to my wishlist because I missed them as a kid :P

I see people saying they had to earn cellphones at teenage years, was I the only one who didn't want one? I can see smartphones being interesting, since they're actually datapads and do everything a computer 10 years ago could do, but I've always felt cellphones were unnecessary, but maybe that's because I hate phones in general.

Anyway, I had a console at five and a computer at 10. I don't really see the difference, my only worry would be with kids taking their things outside and being stolen really. 

I think that you're sounding jealous.

I don't have an iPhone, I don't have an iPad, I don't have an super expensive $10K Computer, I don't even have a PS3, PS4, or such.

But I'd never dream about forbidding anyone else to get this based on their age. I taught my sisters how to play games their entire life and they have had more computers in their life than I've had in my entire life.But only one of then is actively playing games while the other one hates them. Apart from this, they've had something like 10-15 different cellphones while I've had 4-5 maybe.

But I don't care.

Let kids have technology because when I grew up, I did not. Technology can equal better understanding, better intelligence, and most importantly, a better way of life as well as providing a healthy outlet if they're frustrated (i.e. gaming) or just need to talk to their friends (i.e. chatting). Now if you excuse me, I need to add some Aliens and Jurassic Park toys to my wishlist because I missed them as a kid :P

I'm not jealous at all I got my n64 at 8 and had every system from GameCube to XBOX 360 and I've bought myself my xbox360 my own TV my phone my iPod and an iPad I'm not saying dont buy any technology for kids I'm saying but in moderation but them a crap phone an if they are responsible then buy them a better phone same for everything else buy them a DS they do good an XBOXONE an teach your kids how they should be use be involved in their technological development for example look at my mom she helped me develop and use a laptop and now she's a pro with a PC or laptop she fixes any problems our family has with our devices I don't bitch about my sis being 12 and having a smart phone because she's responsible enought to have it an she needs one in case she needs to stay after school what I don't agree with is parents buying their kids something just because they ask for it I was raised as most of us are that you do good you get rewarded you get all A's you get I've cream you don't get in trouble you get a gaming system make te kid earn it

I'm not jealous at all I got my n64 at 8 and had every system from GameCube to XBOX 360 and I've bought myself my xbox360 my own TV my phone my iPod and an iPad I'm not saying dont buy any technology for kids I'm saying but in moderation but them a crap phone an if they are responsible then buy them a better phone same for everything else buy them a DS they do good an XBOXONE an teach your kids how they should be use be involved in their technological development for example look at my mom she helped me develop and use a laptop and now she's a pro with a PC or laptop she fixes any problems our family has with our devices I don't bitch about my sis being 12 and having a smart phone because she's responsible enought to have it an she needs one in case she needs to stay after school what I don't agree with is parents buying their kids something just because they ask for it I was raised as most of us are that you do good you get rewarded you get all A's you get I've cream you don't get in trouble you get a gaming system make te kid earn it

In that case you're just building up a reward system:

You're telling your kids "If you are good and do good, you'll get good stuff. If you do bad, you'll get nothing."

Then what happens the day when your kid comes home with all F's? Is grades what makes us good and worthy of technology?

My family knows nothing of computers - I'm the geek of the family more or less and this came from actually using a computer and other stuff in my life. I had extremely sucky grades at school because I absolutely abhorred school and there's no way in hell a so-called reward system would had made me perform any better at school. I'd say that, if you "and the most of us" were raised by the reward system, your view on things are extremely eschewed and will end up in disaster the moment someone is born who chose not to play by your rules.

I buy my kids things they don't need but do you know what annoys us parents more than spoilt kids?

People that don't have kids telling us how to raise them. That does piss us off.

Rainversey likes this

My 8 year old cousin has an Kindle Fire HDX or what ever model of Kindle, doesn't matter though, when I was 8 I had a leapfrog and legos. I didn't have a smartphone until this year.

My kids will be playing the Gamecube. Not tablets.

I only recently got a smartphone from my dad (a HTC, if you want to know. I don't like iPhones) and I'm 19.

His words "I'll buy you a basic phone first (for my 13th birthday) then, if you look after it, I'll get you a better one."

Sounds fair enough, right?

SirSeaBiscuit likes this

You know, I've put a lot of thought into this over time and I've looked back on the effects it's had on my generation growing up. Kids were starting to get cellphones in 4th grade, 5th grade. It became a norm for kids to have cells in Middle school and upwards. I got mine last year of middle, and I saw the effects that it was having on the other kids in the school. There were about three sexting rings going around and one girl that was emotionally destroyed for the rest of her years in school because kids would pick on her.

That access to technology destroyed one kid's childhood forever, those hours she'll never be able to go back and re-experience in a good way. Because of some bad decisions she and those involved destroyed her life. But it's a part of growing up. Things don't always go to plan and there's no use in trying to pretend that they will. Technology and how kids are raised in my country coincide far too much. But, that's an opinion of my own. The kids themselves are often snobby, arrogant, and rude toward anyone that they don't like. But kids are kids, they're that way in the first place. Technology is an amplifier of that, it goes to show who's "cool" and who's not. 

"Hey, you got a PS4? Awesome, I'll come over your house yadda yadda."

To some kids, I believe it teaches them to respect money and possession over friendship. Does that mean they're effectively broken for the rest of their lives? No, of course not. The kids that I grew up with are great people now, many of them have moved on and grown up. The girl that was emotionally destroyed has come back around and she's moving on with life. They have their technological scars, if you would, that set them apart from earlier generations. They understand the way that certain things will influence them and they'll adapt. 

Ultimately, you can't save every soul in the world. Live and let live, make your own choices and react to them accordingly. As such, if you spoil your child, at least try to spoil them in such a way that they don't piss us off in public when they can't get what they want, okay?

SgtMerrick likes this

You know, I've put a lot of thought into this over time and I've looked back on the effects it's had on my generation growing up. Kids were starting to get cellphones in 4th grade, 5th grade. It became a norm for kids to have cells in Middle school and upwards. I got mine last year of middle, and I saw the effects that it was having on the other kids in the school. There were about three sexting rings going around and one girl that was emotionally destroyed for the rest of her years in school because kids would pick on her.

That access to technology destroyed one kid's childhood forever, those hours she'll never be able to go back and re-experience in a good way. Because of some bad decisions she and those involved destroyed her life. But it's a part of growing up. Things don't always go to plan and there's no use in trying to pretend that they will. Technology and how kids are raised in my country coincide far too much. But, that's an opinion of my own. The kids themselves are often snobby, arrogant, and rude toward anyone that they don't like. But kids are kids, they're that way in the first place. Technology is an amplifier of that, it goes to show who's "cool" and who's not. 

"Hey, you got a PS4? Awesome, I'll come over your house yadda yadda."

To some kids, I believe it teaches them to respect money and possession over friendship. Does that mean they're effectively broken for the rest of their lives? No, of course not. The kids that I grew up with are great people now, many of them have moved on and grown up. The girl that was emotionally destroyed has come back around and she's moving on with life. They have their technological scars, if you would, that set them apart from earlier generations. They understand the way that certain things will influence them and they'll adapt. 

Ultimately, you can't save every soul in the world. Live and let live, make your own choices and react to them accordingly. As such, if you spoil your child, at least try to spoil them in such a way that they don't piss us off in public when they can't get what they want, okay?

True that mate.

People are too reliant on technology as a status symbol these days that they miss out on what's important. Like actually being likable in real life.

I got a lot of crap from people in my school over the fact I didn't have the newest iPhone the second the bloody thing came out. Strangely (or maybe not), my math teacher was in on this too. He was obsessed with Apple products.

I feel old and grumpy and I'm not even 20 yet. Doesn't bode well for my future when I already hate 90% of the people I meet.

Oh well. C'est la vie, I guess.

In that case you're just building up a reward system:

You're telling your kids "If you are good and do good, you'll get good stuff. If you do bad, you'll get nothing."

Then what happens the day when your kid comes home with all F's? Is grades what makes us good and worthy of technology?

My family knows nothing of computers - I'm the geek of the family more or less and this came from actually using a computer and other stuff in my life. I had extremely sucky grades at school because I absolutely abhorred school and there's no way in hell a so-called reward system would had made me perform any better at school. I'd say that, if you "and the most of us" were raised by the reward system, your view on things are extremely eschewed and will end up in disaster the moment someone is born who chose not to play by your rules.

I'm not saying it has to be school related those were just my examples I mean it's sorta common sense you buy your kid a phone then he stops doing his choirs stops doing his HW basically is on his phone 24/7 most parents will take it away or at least limit the use I'm just saying kids should be monitored hell even adults overuse their technology