• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoelMattGarcia

A bit sad for missing out.

12 posts in this topic

Just putting down my thoughts here. 

Whenever I hear of people talk about games like Super Mario 3 or TLOZ: Majora's Mask, it's always good things. In fact, whenever I hear of the older consoles like the NES or Sega Genesis, I usually hear nothing but good things. People from back then who played on those older games always seem to think that those consoles were the best and they have nothing but fond memories of the times they played their video games. Sometime when I think of about it, I feel a bit sad that I'll never get to experience what they did. They didn't have the games we have now, so the experience for me would be ruined if I played those games now. I wish that I could have experienced those amazing games at the height of their popularity. Unfortunately, I never will. Unless a time machine is invented, which is improbable. I was wondering if there are any people on these forums that experienced those games and those consoles could share their experiences. I tend to find these stories to be very fascinating. Also, if you actually read to this point, thanks for reading my pointless babble.

Well, I'm part of this new generation that is growing up with new and fancy games nowadays, but I still played the old ones. I was a gamer since I was 4. I think one of the best times in my life was when all of my siblings actually stayed in the same house, and they weren't off in different parts of the world like they are now. We would play 4-player Kirby Air-Ride for what seemed like hours into the night. It was great.

Maybe people who reminisce on when they played games back then aren't always talking about the games themselves, but just the experience altogether. Whether it be with friends or not. Idk. That's what would apply to me personally though.

I have to say, gaming has changed quite a bit, but I don't think it's impossible for things like this to still happen (fun family gaming). It's just that kids now get to experience it differently. And of course there is online gaming, which might spoil some of the experiences for them. Who knows. 

Every once in awhile when I'm feeling nostalgic, I'll go back and play those games I loved as a kid. Then I realize how much I changed. They were great for their time though.

AshkPunk likes this

Well you still can play those old games and experience them. But, one thing I think this new generation of gamers doesn't understand as much is the whole history and evolution of gaming. People who grew up with 16 bit pixelated graphics in side scrollers then to 3d games people were amazed. Then graphics got better and better and offered new gameplay experiences and people truly appreciated games because they knew the history and what it took for gaming to get there. Video games haven't even been around that long. I mean they have only been widely used since the 1980's so they have only been around for about 30 or so years. But look how far they have come as a form of entertainment? People love them, condemn them, don't know what to think of them because they have gotten so huge so fast. And it continues to evolve but todays kids will never know what its like to have the old games and modern gaming as we know not existing. But alas, you can still play old games and many of them are still very fun and hold up today. Hell some of them are better than alot of games now days.

You may not have missed out as much as you think,

There is a video on YouTube by 'gamespot' titled 'why do we love old games' I'd suggest you watch it,

It basically says what you have said, yes people have very positive memories of these old games but it all comes down to nostaligia, and the reason they have these positive views on the game isn't why you may think,

Have a look, I'd be interested to know if it changes your opinion

I could say I have the same experiences however mine would be with games such as crash bandicoot or I could go as far as Halo: CE or the elder scrolls: Morrowind

People from back then who played on those older games always seem to think that those consoles were the best and they have nothing but fond memories of the times they played their video games. Sometime when I think of about it, I feel a bit sad that I'll never get to experience what they did. They didn't have the games we have now, so the experience for me would be ruined if I played those games now. .

No, it wouldn't. I don't even know why you think it would.

"We" are fond of those games because they are timeless and good. Playing it now over many years ago wont make a difference or at least it shouldn't unless you think todays day graphics and aesthetics are what make a game good. Fondness for an "old" game doesn't require one to be born in that time period. Anyone can play an older game and see why people like me prefer them.

It was an age of when developers gave a shit about games and their content whereas now a days, to me, it seems they focus more on making things visually appealing and nickel and diming people with DLC. No, I don't want to by the game and then find I have to pay for the rest of it as DLC and I don't care if the characters are so "lifelike" they could be a stand in for my neighbor, I want the story to be important and coherent and I want the gameplay to be fun like it used to be before they made games play themselves.

:lol: You ask, I tell :D

It all began back in '89 when I was 6 years old, my uncle bought the SNES with Street Fighter II & Zelda: A Link to the Past. Streetfighter was fun, but it was Zelda that gave me the gamevirus. The sense of exploring a world, doing dungeons, finding new weapons & beating big monsters was just awesome. I had to play with a dictionary on my lap to understand what the people ingame were telling me to do, because by then I didn't speak English at all :lol:  When I asked my mother for a SNES with the same game... She went to the attic to get her old Atari  :lol: I played a bit on it, but I wasn't very charmed by it sooooo.... as a child I kept on nagging and nagging untill I got a GameBoy. Sure it wasn't a SNES, but I got the GameBoy with a game called Burokai Fighter + Tetris + Mario. OMG I fell in love with that little GameBoy aswell. Tetris was fun and challenging on the higher speed & Burokai Fighter was amazing, it was really hard and you only had like 3 lives?? I was set on beating the game and 1 day I did -> great sense of accomplishment. Since my family saw I liked the GameBoy, then got me more games for it, like my uncle who once game me a cartridge with 32 on it!! The bad thing about it was the language... all these games were in Japanese (or Chinese) haha Still I tried to play them all, a great game on that cartridge was Ninja Gaiden, just like Burokai Fighter, it was a hard game, but eventually I beated it aswell. During my GameBoy era, I always visited my uncle in the weekend to keep on playing Zelda of course and my uncle got more & more games on his SNES. He found out he loved RPG's the most and at that time few RPG saw daylight in Europe. So he imported himself an American SNES, thx to him I got to play awesome RPG's like: Lufia, Lufia 2, Breath of Fire, Breath of Fire 2, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, Final Fantasy 3 (AKA FF6). I finished them all, imo these type of games were absolutely great on the SNES. 

Then... the PSX was launched, not much later the Nintendo64. I didn't care what my uncle was going to get as long as he got something. Unfortunately he didn't, year after year passed and no new console within my handreach. Friends at school started to speak about games, games were becoming more & more popular, PSX games that is. So since almost everybody had a Playstation, I wanted a Playstation aswell instead of a Nintendo64. When I finally was 16, I was able to work & save money for my first owned console, the Playstation! I bought it together with Soulblade, Ridge Racer 5 & Final Fantasy 8. Soulblade was agreat fighting game I played before at friends houses, Ridge Racer... I dunno I wanted a race game :D Then Final Fantasy 8, I knew FF7 was great, but I picked FF8, because it was NEW, so I could talk about it in school. (In the end I didn't love it at all, so eventually I got FF7). Eventually I started gaming less and less, because I had to work harder for school, started to go out, parties, girlfriend experiences, etc. I didn't get so many games on PSX. I did get FF9 of course which was great btw! Oh and I discovered Metal Gear Solid and became fan of this gameserie. Furthermore I played a rather unknown game Vandal Hearts, I absolutely loved this game, but sadly I wasn't able to beat it! Also my mother bought a Nintendo64 with Zelda Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask. Both games got played, but after that the N64 caught a lot of dust.

Then the PS2 arrived, for me it was a bit to expensive. Although I was working as a student, the pay I got always melted like snow before sunlight due to the socialnight life I had in my 20's. Yet, out of nothing, I got a PS2 as a gift from my mother for graduating high school & having decided to go to university (that was what she always wanted). Slowly but surely PS2 made me undergo the shift is spending less time on social nightlife and more time gaming. I started to prefer staying home and game a bit, so I could get up early the next day to study. Instead of going to party, arriving home in the morning and getting up in the late afternoon with a headache and not really feeling like studying!  :lol: Now that I think about it... maybe that was the reason why I got a PS2 in the first place? :D Epic games in the PS2 era were Zone of the Enders and Final Fantasy X. Sadly not many great RPG's, since the graphics advanced so much since then, during the PS2 era I explored more other genres. Sports games like NHL, NBA, FIFA / race games like Gran Turismo 3, Need for Speed Underground / WW II FPS games like Medal of Honor / a couple of good games like Ace Combat 4, 5 & Zero, Second Sight, Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell. I think in total I got +/- 30 PS2 games. Since I wasn't able to get Ace Combat 3 back on the PSX, I got AC5 on sales and became a Ace Combat freak! :D I even joined forums & entered an Ace Combat clan (which was an uncharted world for me). During my Ace Combat frenzy I saved quiet some money and impulsively I bought a Nintendo GameCube, I wanted to play the newest Zelda's and I got to know Metroid. The GameCube became the families console at home with Mario Kart and Smash Brothers.

Then the X360 was launched with Gears of War, it was love on first sight. I got an X360 for just that game. Also I started buying some games on it like CoD4, Halo3, Fable2, Ninja Gaiden, Forza, PGR, Ace Combat 6 & Tales of Vesperia (I discovered the Tales of serie!). The great thing about it was ONLINE GAMING (althought you had to pay for XboxLive Gold)

Then when I finally graduated university, the PS3 was launched for over a year and guess what? My mother got me a PS3 as graduation reward! I immediattely shifted to the PS3 and cancelled my XboxLive Gold account. PS3 was free online gaming and I didn't play much online anymore, had the "been there, done that"-effect. After a year of working, I saved myself some money to get a 60inch HD plasma 3D TV. The amazing TV alone motivated me to replay MANY great X360&PS3 games like Gears, PGR, MGS, God of War, etc. In the end I got like 30 X360 games & currently have nearly 60 PS3 games. After graduating I game just as much now as I was a little kid, with the only difference that now I have the finances to get what I want & when I want it. 

Last year my brother started working and he was doubting between getting a WiiU or a 3DS, in the end he got a 3DS. Since he has been gaming on my gear the past years, I'm allowed to play on his 3DS. This 1 day I saw Fire Emblem Awakening second hand price so I decided to give it a try... OMG revelation of the year! Absolutely love this game! It really reignited my old handheld love. Nowadays I do spend attention to every news I can find about releases & announcements. Something I haven't done for a looooonnngg time.

& Slowly, but surely I'm ending this story, because we are reaching present time! The other day on X-mas I asked my mother (as a joke) when she was actually getting my PS4 & if she pre-ordered it, since she was the one who bought me PS2 & PS3. Hahaha she replied me that this time I'll have to get it myself. 

What will the future bring me? Highly probable a PS4 for console exclusive games, but my eye is on the Oculus Rift... I even might get a high gaming PC to make the switch to PC gaming so that I can use the Oculus Rift. This might end the console era for me :) Because let's be honest, it's silly we have to pay now for online gaming while it was free during the PS3 era and still remains free on PC! Despite the fact you get monthly free games yadayadayada... gaming already has become a quiet expensive hobby with the bullshit evolution of DLC, we don't need this added crap. 

*EDIT = Oh I forgot to mention that I played Pokémon Red & Pokémon Silver on my original GameBoy. When my brother got the original Gameboy Advance, I wasn't to crazy about it's concept, but I did get a GBA SP myself, much better design imo. On it I played Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire & FireRed. Another great GBA game was Metroid Fusion. I also got Zelda: A Link to the Past for it, but aside these, I haven't got more GBA titles. (I should have got Fire Emblem back in the day!) 

GenesisKiller96 likes this

Jebuz, i`ve been playing videogames for 18 years, and its not too long ago i hooked up an old gamecube i found in the garage and Enjoyed Extreme G-Racing 3 and the remastered version TLoZ: Ocarina of Time :)

One of the worst things about current consoles is the lack of split screen.  My fondest memories were playing killzone 1, timesplitters 2, and 007 nightfire with my brother and a couple friends.  Remote charge wars on the skyline map were awesome!  Attach one to the bottom of a cable car, wait til someone gets in, and BOOM!  Fuckin epic!

While I do prefer retro games(and I admit I am bias since I grew up with them) I still enjoy new games, I just wish devs would focus more on gameplay and make games harder like they used to be, that's my only bone with games these days that's why games I liked Dark Souls then I probaly should because it didn't hold my hand.

I remember one of my cousins had an N64 and the other had a Sega Genesis, I didn't had any console at that moment, I went to their house and played games, but we all gathered to play Mortal Kombat 3, years later I got PS1 and we all gathered again to play Crush and stuff but not as much (everyone was busy at that time, life was in the way). Times passed by and we all lived in different cities, but every summer we all gathered to play PES6 (we played championship and it was the best.), it wasn't about the consoles for me it was about the family and friends. And even now, every summer they all call me and say that bring that Xbox of yours and lets get started. We still play games together, and it's still more fun than any Online experience.

As a kid, I was lucky to have the Magnavox Odyssey, which had like three games to play with a paddle and a ball.  From there, we got Atari (I still can't resist a quick play of those classic games given the chance, but I just cannot understand how I used to play them for hours at a time). The Gameboy (I went through a lot of them original, advance, color, and ds) was super addictive; my friends and siblings used to fight over it, and take turn (if you 'died" three times, it was the next persons turn, this is how I got my gaming focus!). Zelda and Castlevania were introduced to me on the GBA, and I'm still hooked on both of those franchises.

But it was the Sega Genesis I had in college (1992ish) that I have the most fond memories of, and I only just got rid of it last month.  Mortal Kombat, Strider, Pitfall, Sonic, Vectorman, and OHMYGOD Shinobi 3.... I could sit down to any of those and it's all good memories.  The onslaught of that system for me was when I learned strategy through repeating quests for the best times and scores, constantly-daily-all-the-time for years.  Just laughing and playing with friends and screaming at the tv - it was pure fun. 

I'm not sure you missed out on anything, though.  There are games you will have your own nostalgia and memories about, and as the gaming industry continues to grow, we may look back on the current games (and though they may never be as laughable as the Odyssey game or Pong), you may just smile at them for their puny and constant delights.  

Perhaps it's the invasiveness of the large corporations in our living rooms and phones that has taken away some of the camaraderie and freedom we used to enjoy. But the tradeoff for that-- the incredible expansive games and capabilities, is what will continue to "wow" everyone, and create the memories you may think you missed-out on.  

This industry will keep outdoing itself in our lifetime, there's no doubt. 

:lol: You ask, I tell :D

It all began back in '89 when I was 6 years old, my uncle bought the SNES with Street Fighter II & Zelda: A Link to the Past. Streetfighter was fun, but it was Zelda that gave me the gamevirus. The sense of exploring a world, doing dungeons, finding new weapons & beating big monsters was just awesome. I had to play with a dictionary on my lap to understand what the people ingame were telling me to do, because by then I didn't speak English at all :lol:  When I asked my mother for a SNES with the same game... She went to the attic to get her old Atari  :lol: I played a bit on it, but I wasn't very charmed by it sooooo.... as a child I kept on nagging and nagging untill I got a GameBoy. Sure it wasn't a SNES, but I got the GameBoy with a game called Burokai Fighter + Tetris + Mario. OMG I fell in love with that little GameBoy aswell. Tetris was fun and challenging on the higher speed & Burokai Fighter was amazing, it was really hard and you only had like 3 lives?? I was set on beating the game and 1 day I did -> great sense of accomplishment. Since my family saw I liked the GameBoy, then got me more games for it, like my uncle who once game me a cartridge with 32 on it!! The bad thing about it was the language... all these games were in Japanese (or Chinese) haha Still I tried to play them all, a great game on that cartridge was Ninja Gaiden, just like Burokai Fighter, it was a hard game, but eventually I beated it aswell. During my GameBoy era, I always visited my uncle in the weekend to keep on playing Zelda of course and my uncle got more & more games on his SNES. He found out he loved RPG's the most and at that time few RPG saw daylight in Europe. So he imported himself an American SNES, thx to him I got to play awesome RPG's like: Lufia, Lufia 2, Breath of Fire, Breath of Fire 2, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, Final Fantasy 3 (AKA FF6). I finished them all, imo these type of games were absolutely great on the SNES. 

Then... the PSX was launched, not much later the Nintendo64. I didn't care what my uncle was going to get as long as he got something. Unfortunately he didn't, year after year passed and no new console within my handreach. Friends at school started to speak about games, games were becoming more & more popular, PSX games that is. So since almost everybody had a Playstation, I wanted a Playstation aswell instead of a Nintendo64. When I finally was 16, I was able to work & save money for my first owned console, the Playstation! I bought it together with Soulblade, Ridge Racer 5 & Final Fantasy 8. Soulblade was agreat fighting game I played before at friends houses, Ridge Racer... I dunno I wanted a race game :D Then Final Fantasy 8, I knew FF7 was great, but I picked FF8, because it was NEW, so I could talk about it in school. (In the end I didn't love it at all, so eventually I got FF7). Eventually I started gaming less and less, because I had to work harder for school, started to go out, parties, girlfriend experiences, etc. I didn't get so many games on PSX. I did get FF9 of course which was great btw! Oh and I discovered Metal Gear Solid and became fan of this gameserie. Furthermore I played a rather unknown game Vandal Hearts, I absolutely loved this game, but sadly I wasn't able to beat it! Also my mother bought a Nintendo64 with Zelda Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask. Both games got played, but after that the N64 caught a lot of dust.

Then the PS2 arrived, for me it was a bit to expensive. Although I was working as a student, the pay I got always melted like snow before sunlight due to the socialnight life I had in my 20's. Yet, out of nothing, I got a PS2 as a gift from my mother for graduating high school & having decided to go to university (that was what she always wanted). Slowly but surely PS2 made me undergo the shift is spending less time on social nightlife and more time gaming. I started to prefer staying home and game a bit, so I could get up early the next day to study. Instead of going to party, arriving home in the morning and getting up in the late afternoon with a headache and not really feeling like studying!  :lol: Now that I think about it... maybe that was the reason why I got a PS2 in the first place? :D Epic games in the PS2 era were Zone of the Enders and Final Fantasy X. Sadly not many great RPG's, since the graphics advanced so much since then, during the PS2 era I explored more other genres. Sports games like NHL, NBA, FIFA / race games like Gran Turismo 3, Need for Speed Underground / WW II FPS games like Medal of Honor / a couple of good games like Ace Combat 4, 5 & Zero, Second Sight, Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell. I think in total I got +/- 30 PS2 games. Since I wasn't able to get Ace Combat 3 back on the PSX, I got AC5 on sales and became a Ace Combat freak! :D I even joined forums & entered an Ace Combat clan (which was an uncharted world for me). During my Ace Combat frenzy I saved quiet some money and impulsively I bought a Nintendo GameCube, I wanted to play the newest Zelda's and I got to know Metroid. The GameCube became the families console at home with Mario Kart and Smash Brothers.

Then the X360 was launched with Gears of War, it was love on first sight. I got an X360 for just that game. Also I started buying some games on it like CoD4, Halo3, Fable2, Ninja Gaiden, Forza, PGR, Ace Combat 6 & Tales of Vesperia (I discovered the Tales of serie!). The great thing about it was ONLINE GAMING (althought you had to pay for XboxLive Gold)

Then when I finally graduated university, the PS3 was launched for over a year and guess what? My mother got me a PS3 as graduation reward! I immediattely shifted to the PS3 and cancelled my XboxLive Gold account. PS3 was free online gaming and I didn't play much online anymore, had the "been there, done that"-effect. After a year of working, I saved myself some money to get a 60inch HD plasma 3D TV. The amazing TV alone motivated me to replay MANY great X360&PS3 games like Gears, PGR, MGS, God of War, etc. In the end I got like 30 X360 games & currently have nearly 60 PS3 games. After graduating I game just as much now as I was a little kid, with the only difference that now I have the finances to get what I want & when I want it. 

Last year my brother started working and he was doubting between getting a WiiU or a 3DS, in the end he got a 3DS. Since he has been gaming on my gear the past years, I'm allowed to play on his 3DS. This 1 day I saw Fire Emblem Awakening second hand price so I decided to give it a try... OMG revelation of the year! Absolutely love this game! It really reignited my old handheld love. Nowadays I do spend attention to every news I can find about releases & announcements. Something I haven't done for a looooonnngg time.

& Slowly, but surely I'm ending this story, because we are reaching present time! The other day on X-mas I asked my mother (as a joke) when she was actually getting my PS4 & if she pre-ordered it, since she was the one who bought me PS2 & PS3. Hahaha she replied me that this time I'll have to get it myself. 

What will the future bring me? Highly probable a PS4 for console exclusive games, but my eye is on the Oculus Rift... I even might get a high gaming PC to make the switch to PC gaming so that I can use the Oculus Rift. This might end the console era for me :) Because let's be honest, it's silly we have to pay now for online gaming while it was free during the PS3 era and still remains free on PC! Despite the fact you get monthly free games yadayadayada... gaming already has become a quiet expensive hobby with the bullshit evolution of DLC, we don't need this added crap. 

*EDIT = Oh I forgot to mention that I played Pokémon Red & Pokémon Silver on my original GameBoy. When my brother got the original Gameboy Advance, I wasn't to crazy about it's concept, but I did get a GBA SP myself, much better design imo. On it I played Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire & FireRed. Another great GBA game was Metroid Fusion. I also got Zelda: A Link to the Past for it, but aside these, I haven't got more GBA titles. (I should have got Fire Emblem back in the day!) 

Hell yeah ace combat fuckin' rocks!