• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

'

Your opinion on anita sarkeesian?

314 posts in this topic

PERFECT!!!

Cheese for everyone!!!

On topic: Why is she such a big deal again?

Because there is a vocal minority of gamers who resent women.

People have to embrace women.

creepy-shepard.jpg

Think about it people. More badass women? It's a win-win situation for everybody.

Feminists try to fight sexism with sexism.

Im out of likes but this is it in a nutshell.

Im fine if people want to fight for the betterment of something/others  but not when they go about it in such a way as this.

Most hardcore groups of any kind want one thing but not the other. "We want more females represented in games but not gays or transgendered folks" "We want more ethnicities but not woman".......... Its really stupid how people want to fight blindly for one thing and yet restrict another.

I agree with her in a few aspects. I'm a normal 17 year old boy. I like females. But I have been described as more feminine and I have to admit, how women are treated in most videos are awful. Such as Skyrim, the base game, you can play it, women are dressed respectfully for that day and age and lore. then you get someone coming along how actually takes there time out to make nude mods and sex mods. It makes me slightly depressed that I choose PC thinking "Oh, these people will think like mature sensible people" then I buy Skyrim, then I ask about "What mods should I download?" I automatically get told I should download some nipple mod. I liked Mass Effect where you could wonder around and develop relationships with the crew and people and you could pursue them if you wanted too. Or you could just go Batman and have no one. I'm not saying everyone who is a gamer sex up women, I'm saying that the few people that do need to get there head on straight.

I would love to play a game where the main character is a strong woman.

Just because a woman is a badass, doesn't mean that it isn't completely fair. Bayonetta is a badass, but she is also a sexualized dominatrix. Samus is a badass too, but she gets categorized into the "I'm pretending to be strong, but I'm a fragile girl on the inside" stereotype. There are good female roles in gaming. Faith is a good female character. The women in Mass Effect are good characters, all with unique personalities. They do exist, but there is still a predominantly male protagonist role. It's hardly 50/50

I felt that Mass Effect is a pretty good example for a game with a society, that has left behind our concepts of gender. If it weren't for the first part, you could very well argue that shepard is a genderless character and all you do is choosing his sex. So I think it's an extremly bad example for 'Tropes agains Women in Video Games'.

Badass is Badass, if sexualized or not (eventhough admitedly I've never played Bayonetta). And the Hard on the outside, fragile on the inside is actually something that many mal characters also have. I.E. Hellboy, Ironman, the Beast from 'The Beauty and the Beast', Roy Mustang, Sandor Clegane (The Hound)... just can't see, how this is a female stereotype.

Mirror's Edge. Metroid. Tomb Raider. Any RPG where you can choose to be a woman.

Mirror's Edge. Metroid. Tomb Raider. Any RPG where you can choose to be a woman.

And those are fun games.

likes this

And those are fun games.

Let's not forget fighting games. Although DoA and MK are pretty sexualized. And Guilty Gear with a couple characters. And Street Fighter.... Persona has strong females!

Heart of the swarm, it doesn't get much stronger than the queen of blades...

People can't complain about women never being strong and badass in games. Just look at the games people wrote down in this thread.

Don't hate feminism, because not all feminists are the same. In fact they have a lot of different facettes and schools and dogmas and some are just badshit crazy while others have reasonable demands and as far as it's about that your gender shouldn't limit your freedom to do whatever you like, I'm a feminist too.

Feminism is a flawed concept, not that I'm saying that you personally and other feminists out there are sound in terms of there goals and logic, but the very idea of feminism is counter productive and hypocritical.

At the most basic level, feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending the political, economic, and social rights of women in society. Back when the movement started in the 1960's, it was very apparent that woman had the raw in various aspects of society, like lower wages and various other things. So the movement was built not out of fine motives, but was provoked and by an unfair bias developed through male dominated political regimes and social standards.

This is not really the way the world is any more. Woman do have power, rights and a voice in society, or at least in our society. There is other cultures out that appear to be different in this regard, but that's there culture and it's not our right question it. Maybe some day these cultures will  change, but that's nothing to with feminism.

In terms of our society (Typically, I'm talking about western society), whether or not the same male dominated political and social bias still exists is debatable, but it certainly isn't the same in terms of scale and nature. It seems to me modern feminists are more like Anita Sarkeesian and are more concerned with how woman are represented both in the media and the finer aspects of our society, like in gaming.

Now in gaming, it is true that woman have been overly and inappropriately sexulised at times, but this isn't surprising since gaming is past time or most frequently indulged by males.That not gamer or gamings fault, but it's the it happened to appeal to society and develop. Woman by there nature tend not to be as hot blooded as men when it comes to sex, but I fell if things were different and if was woman or girls that got more into gaming than is perfectly plausible that it would have been men more sexulised in video games. We'll never for sure, of course, but it does make scene, and its not like the female demographic haven't there eye candy in games over the years. Like Joe said in his video, and I think he's right, there woman and even feminists who love sex and enjoy sex in video games just as much as guys do. I have to admit though that point may not be valid since I don't personally know very many girl gamers. So some of that based on assumptions, but I think it makes sense.

I would say that sexisum in video games does exist, I just feel people like Anita Sarkeesian don't understand it very well.

To try and explain where I think it is, I'm going to show you tube and girl-gamer channels. The two channels I'm bring up as examples I have no affiliation with and I don't consider one better than the other, I actually like the content I've seen on both. I'd say one of these two may be a victim of sexism and the other one is clearly not.

The first being kathleenmms, the vid I'm linking is an E3 reaction clip, no particular reason for that, it's just an example.

The channel is fairly normal affair. Let's play, un-boxings, first impressions, usual stuff. The girl herself is admittedly quite cute, but not what the channel is really about of it promotes itself. It's very much a game/geek thing.

The other example is Tara Babcock Games! andTara Babcok Vlogs!. Video example is a lets play of what looks like a great little game called UnEpic

The content between both her game channel and vlog is is actually very similar to kathleenmms. Letsplays, unboxings and so on. It's a bit more polished, but yet again I suspect she time and money to put into it.

One thing that's clear is one of these two is promoting herself as girl playing games, and the other as a gamer who's a girl. I think we're all able which one is which. That's the critical difference.

Now I've no objections to what Tara is doing, like I said I actually like the channel and enjoy the content. I don't have a problem with people using the good looks they've been gifted and worked hard on to better themselves, on the contrary I admire that. Now doing this means there is an innvetible rabble of morons saying stupid, sexist things in the comments, but that's her fault for being more deliberately provocative. The thing is though is if you check the comment box on kathleenmms's video, you have to look long 'till you find the same stupid nonsense. Less of it, but it's still there. All she was doing was sitting on her bed and talking into a webcam. So you see, if either of these two are victim of sexism, it's kathleenmms, not Tara Babcock. I'm not saying kathleenmms is a victim of sexisum, just may be.

I don't mean to assume, but imagine that if a feminist was to describe one of these two as "detrimental to woman" (I'm not saying the would do, just if they had to), they would probably go with Tara, the one that clearly has thick skin and just doesn't care about the stupid shit that goes her way. She's not a victim of sexism, despite all the daft traffic that probably gets sent her way.

To summarise, I don't care for feminism because it's outdated and I just don't how it helps people in today's society. Equal rights should be there for everyone to fight for claim regardless of the gentiles they were born with. If people wan't to stamp out something like sexisum from gaming, they have to understand it indigenously and not use the standard definitions and paint everything with the same brush.

Thanks for taking the time to read, I know this was a long read for a forum post.

People can't complain about women never being strong and badass in games. Just look at the games people wrote down in this thread.

Being strong does not make someone a good character. From a man's point of view, we have people like Marcus Fenix. A strong badass, but little personality to him.

likes this

Being strong does not make someone a good character. From a man's point of view, we have people like Marcus Fenix. A strong badass, but little personality to him.

I have to agree with you. How would you want a good female main-character to be like?

My problem with Anita is that she makes her viewpoints, which makes everyone in gaming look bad, then she lets no one negative respond(s) to her claims without her claiming that you're a sexist because you're attacking a woman. We're not attacking Anita because she's a woman (And if are, and you're making claims to rape/murder her, you're an awful person), we're attacking her because she's insulting us and she's not allowing us to speak to her, even though her points are only her opinions, and her views are not proven sound and valid. I mentioned this on my Tumblr how she needs to let us make our point, without being called a sexist as she plays the victim, and how her points can be proven incorrect, for the most part, and I've been attacked by feminists for this. And I've responded to them because I want to debate this, and I want to know how we can find a way to improve the world we share (Even though all I get is feminist calling me a sexist pig, who's twelve years old, and just doing it because I'm a bad troll). If feminists really want equally, that's wonderful, but feminism only cares about women, even though sexism affects men too. I want gender-equalty, not feminism (and masculism too).   

argetlam350 likes this

Frankly, I didnt and I dont care about Anita in any way, I actually would never had heard from her if it wasnt for the whole mess that came thanks to the dumbasses that send all the crap to her person, we can all agree that rape/murder messages were just plainly stupid an childish just to say it in a softly way. 

About the fight that women have to endure in order to equality, am all go for it, because no one its better than nobody, no one should be told to fit accordingly to a stereotype (being the damsel in distresssd who its weaked and helpless or the macho hero who its made of stone and nothing affects him and needs to save the world), we need to chenge this, making the princesses into badass women who can stand for themselves and fight back to what they believe and the macho heros being shown crying when almost all hope its gone while their friends die in their arms, we need to change those old stereotypes in order to change the way that we interact and see others, but hey, its just my own opinion any way

There's a lot of females in games and quality ones to. The problem is people feel compelled to bitch about games without a female lead because , you know, in todays world every game should have the option even if the female in question is but a skin change and holds no real value or impact on the game.

Im all for options of female leads in games but EVERY game on the planet doesn't have to have the option. People make bigger deals out of things than there really needs to be. A good game is a good game regardless of what gender the lead character is.

argetlam350 likes this

She distorts truth in order to make her personal agenda seem like the gospel truth. She's all for female domination and male oppression. She is the on the worst end of the feminism scale. Feminism is meant to be about equality for both sexes, and a lot of today's Feminists, Anita included, do not understand that. She is just as bad as all those "RadFems" (Yes, this is the term for these types of feminists, created by them too) who wrap the minds of collage students with Women's Studies courses.

I have to agree with you. How would you want a good female main-character to be like?

I would make her more human. Men and women are different, but the good female characters are treated to personalities a lot of men have. Faith may be a woman, but she could be swapped out with a guy and nobody would notice. If I wanted to make a character that portrays women and their issues, then maybe a character that tries to save her child would work. That has been done with Heavy Rain, but it still works.

likes this

She distorts truth in order to make her personal agenda seem like the gospel truth. She's all for female domination and male oppression. She is the on the worst end of the feminism scale. Feminism is meant to be about equality for both sexes, and a lot of today's Feminists, Anita included, do not understand that. She is just as bad as all those "RadFems" (Yes, this is the term for these types of feminists, created by them too) who wrap the minds of collage students with Women's Studies courses.

That doesn't give anyone the right to threaten her life or to threaten to rape her.

If I wanted to make a character that portrays women and their issues, then maybe a character that tries to save her child would work.

Yeah, but that would be sexist.

Welcome! I dig your avatar but I can't place what it is.

I want to say Gaogaigar show, or loosely Gundam but..

I hate feminism because I see it as a poison. It's an inherited charged word that glorifies women above men, just as Masculim (opposite of Feminism) glorifies men over women. Feminism will not lead to a gender equal world, it will lead to dividing it towards a matriarch society. The batshit insane feminists known as the Fem-radicals are by far one of the biggest trash of mankind - never have I seen such hate for people whom done them nothing and such outrageous insults and blatant superiority complex. 

That being said, I accept feminists as people. I just really think that feminists are wrong and they really aught to become humanists instead. That which will actually lead towards equality of gender, sex and race.

His avatar reminds me of Jenova for some reason.

Yeah, but that would be sexist.

What would be sexist? Truth is I've grown up surrounded by women and if you replaced them with men the only difference I'd bloody recognize is on an anatomical level, I've observed in my own time negligible difference any other way.

What would be sexist? Truth is I've grown up surrounded by women and if you replaced them with men the only difference I'd bloody recognize is on an anatomical level, I've observed in my own time negligible difference any other way.

If you have a female MC, with the main storyline of them having to protect a child, it would be blasted by feminists as sexist