• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NextDoorDarkrai

Bravely Default Demo Review

18 posts in this topic

Bravely Default, an RPG strategy game created by Square Enix, has had its demo released onto the Nintendo Eshop. It is planned to be fully released in February, and uses turn-based combat, like Final Fantasy. Your main goals are to complete quests for people, while rebuilding your home town. I have played the demo for 2 hours now, and haven't put it down yet. Here are my thoughts on Bravely Default based on the demo.

EDIT: Due to new information, I will be editing some of the bad, which I missed. 

The Good:

Graphics/Artwork: For a 3ds game, the graphics are great, and the artwork has its own little style to it. The main city is gorgeous, with all the gears and windmills, especially at night, when the city lights up. In combat, the character models look decent, considering its, once again, for 3ds.

Gameplay: Gameplay is separated into 3 parts: combat, world map wandering, and rebuilding your town.

Combat is decent, like Final Fantasy's turn-based system-and that's not a bad thing. Choosing which characters do what, going in order by speed, the victory poses at the end of each battle. The gimmick to combat is Battle Points: points that you gain by defeating enemies, and lose by attacking, using abilities, and activating "Brave" mode. By spending Battle Points, Brave mode allows you to attack again for every Battle Point spent. It's a fun gimmick, and is useful when battling tough enemies.

World map wandering looks great, although a little dull (it is a desert after all!), and is how you encounter enemies. If you wander around enough, like in Pokemon, an enemy will appear.

And that is it for the good. Moving onto the bad...

The Bad:

Armor doesn't change the look of your characters: Even if you buy armor and equip it, your characters' appearances never change. A little nitpicky, but still, it would be nice to see the armor give a little more customize options.

Streetpass gimmick: 3ds games have almost always had Streetpass gimmicks. Usually they were just little benefits, like getting power-ups in Super Mario 3D Land. However, this gimmick revolves around the town. The more people you meet in Streetpass, the more villagers you get to help build things. Each one cuts the time to build something in half. So what is the problem, you may ask?

Building something takes 1 hour minimum!

Not game time, real time. Like a pay-to-play game, Bravely Default basically punishes you if you don't know or don't meet someone with Streetpass. This makes rebuilding your town a chore, and something you hardly ever do. The one thing that separates this game from Final Fantasy, and they fucked it up. They had better fix this in the future, otherwise, it will get a harsh official review. EDIT: Apparently, in the full game, you can get villagers via Spotpass.

Final Thoughts:

Bravely Default has the right idea, mixing Final Fantasy combat with a Sim City-like gimmick. However, it still has gameplay problems that make it difficult to fully enjoy the game, and need to be fixed. I am not giving this demo a final verdict, for it is not the full game. When the full game comes out, I will give it a full review with a verdict.

What game do you want me to review next? Let me know, and I just might review it!

EDIT: Watch the nutshell review here!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-QqIhW9Mbc

Until next time, I'll be next door! Peace out!

I enjoyed the demo a lot. It's just really good and yeah, it has some flaws like hard enemies. I'm like what. Why? That's messed up.

Glad you enjoyed the "review" :)

You're welcome. I'm a fan of RPG games like this.

me too. I think it looks like a good game, it just needs a little fixing before the official release.

The first area didn't really have that many overpowered enemies. Which enemy were you talking about? The cat with the stick? Moreover, you can put the game on sleep mode to wait for the town to be rebuilt, and the streetpass function makes this even faster. The game will even give you a second citizen to help double speed. The full version will allow for the internet too, so it's not that big of a deal. Admittedly, yes, waiting five hours can be annoying, but I found just doing other things in the meantime help; snow here helped kill a ton of time.

Also, the map does say where the shops are technically. Just look at the doors to the shops and the map and you can easily see that. Not the best map mind you as I admit, I had some trouble at first glance on how to read it, but once you get it, you get it.

DestinyDecade likes this

Exactly why I didn't give a verdict, this is just a demo.

The first area didn't really have that many overpowered enemies. Which enemy were you talking about? The cat with the stick? Moreover, you can put the game on sleep mode to wait for the town to be rebuilt, and the streetpass function makes this even faster. The game will even give you a second citizen to help double speed. The full version will allow for the internet too, so it's not that big of a deal. Admittedly, yes, waiting five hours can be annoying, but I found just doing other things in the meantime help; snow here helped kill a ton of time.

Also, the map does say where the shops are technically. Just look at the doors to the shops and the map and you can easily see that. Not the best map mind you as I admit, I had some trouble at first glance on how to read it, but once you get it, you get it.

May as well try it out.

I don't know about you but the rats I fight when I start an RPG are like the teenage mutant ninja turtles.

To the OP

1) The people in the castle tell you how to play the game if you go back and talk to them, one in particular is the "tutorial" type dude and comments from people, if you actually pay attention to what they say, tell you how to play the game. Also this is a DEMO not the full game its not that difficult to figure out and so doesn't need lengthy tutorials when basically all the people tell you about everything, again, if you pay attention.

2) The shops are marked on the map. Quite largely as a matter of fact, Im almost doubting you actually played the demo.......

3) Armor doesn't change the look of your character because the Jobs do that...duh...

4) In this demo you can use the "brave points" up to three or four times and get four hits per character which is 16 hits all together which can easily kill the enamies in the starting area. They aren't that hard people just aren't that smart. Like any rpg you have to level before you move along to a new area.

5) The streetpass thing will apparently have a alternate method in the main game. You know how the traveler by the Inn saves your game in the demo how the "update" option is greyed out? Apparently in the main game doing this once a day gives you between 1-3 characters so people who have zero chance of using streetpass don't have to worry about their village being screwed with no visitors and such. The demo dosent implement this but the main game does have it apparently. I mean it is just a demo.

I know it is just a demo, once again that is why I did not give it an actual verdict.

And tbh, I did not know that I could learn more from that certain NPC.

And also, apparently I'm blind because I did not see the shops on the map.

Finally, I'm glad they're making a way to get villagers other than Streetpass.

I will be editing my overview a little, now that I have this new information. Thank you for telling me.

I know it is just a demo, once again that is why I did not give it an actual verdict.

And tbh, I did not know that I could learn more from that certain NPC.

And also, apparently I'm blind because I did not see the shops on the map.

Finally, I'm glad they're making a way to get villagers other than Streetpass.

I will be editing my overview a little, now that I have this new information. Thank you for telling me.

You are welcome.

Most wouldn't go back in to the castle, there's no real need to do so. But I immediately went back to talk to people before I exited it.

In town on the bottom screen the shops are marked they just aren't marked when you are "out on/in the world" map because the town have their own, kind of like old school rpgs. Once you go in to the town or dungeon the traveler and shops are shown as squares or some form of "traveler" symbol on the touch screen part. They really aren't that hard to miss... besides the symbol on the bottom, on the top screen they have their own signs like the "Inn" one is yellow. So as you run past them they are kind of readily seen.

That's really awesome. Most times I let the 3DS in Sleep mode and when time passes, I get an upgrade. What's the max amount for upgraded towns and such? I hope it helps in the final game.

I don't know if it does, but I do know that I'm having a huge blast, and all my characters have mastered 2 jobs. Trying to unlock them all and find the best combos for abilities!

Now I'm watching the gameplay from Europe on the Internet, NOW I'M JUST JEALOUS! They get it before us :(

Completely finished the demo. Took down all the bosses, maxed out every job that's there, Norende is maxed and now I'm set for the game that comes out February 7th. 28 days left.

Completely finished the demo. Took down all the bosses, maxed out every job that's there, Norende is maxed and now I'm set for the game that comes out February 7th. 28 days left.

Same here. Greatest. Demo. Ever! Looking forward to the game!

Same here. Greatest. Demo. Ever! Looking forward to the game!

Most definitely. Only 23 days to go.