• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

MrNukes

what are your thoughts of Risen on PC and Risen 2

12 posts in this topic

Hey all first post here. Just joined the AJSA and i gotta start off with risen. did any of you guys try Risen on PC? What did you guys think about it and For those who liked Risen is the sequel enjoyable?

I got the game a few weeks ago and played the hell out of it. Joe bashed the game very harshly so i went in not really knowing what to expect but damn this game was good. I've been looking for RPG's to play since i own most  of the ones released this generation and Risen was such a stand out. Graphically it looks pretty good on PC(huge difference from how the xbox360 one looks) and the world was so rich and vibrant. The combat was pretty good for the most part. It was hard and i got killed countless time but it felt so rewarding it reminded me of a much much less refined and polished version of dark souls combat(with a bit of chance since the openings were hard to find).

The story was pretty nice i liked how it threw you in without giving you any background. you had to actually talk to NPC's and immerse yourself into the world a bit to get an understanding of what was happening(or you could just skip ahead and go on blindly). It was refreshing to see how it wasn't black and white when it came to which side was good or bad. overall the story felt good in my opinion. took me 50 hours to beat the game but that is still pretty good for most modern RPG's.

what were your overall thoughts on Risen for PC? if any of you guys played the second game would you recommend it to someone who liked the first. the combat looks more simplified then before does Risen 2 have a similar level of challenge and danger compared to the first game?Are the side quest improved?do the characters introduced have personality? i know Angry Joe made a review of risen 2 but i don't think he played the PC version of the game and as with the first one I'm assuming think this game is better with keyboard and mouse.

I've enjoy countless hour in the first risen

and i must say it was awesome, it was everything the gothic series( after gothic 2) didn't become, so i had great hopes for risen 2.

Sadly they went the wrong way with that game, and it sucked balls, so my advice, stick with the first game, don't get it destroyed by the hideous mess that was number 2

MrNukes and Bimpy782 like this

The crafting system was funny but useless unless you use swords, the ai was predictable, the last part of the game was way too easy but in the end the first Risen was enjoyable for one playthrough. I tried to play it another time with the opposite faction but i got bored because the missions were exactly the same except for a couple of them.

I didn't try the second, one button combat system? No thanks!

MrNukes likes this

i got the first Risen on PC and i loved it i know a lot of people hate it but i thought it was great and im a big fan of the first 2 Gothic games while i enjoyed Risen 2 imo it wasnt as good as the first one the combat was really bad most of the time you win by stunlocking who your fighting to win i did enjoy the pirate setting  a lot tho but over all it was a average RPG

GamerUrso and MrNukes like this

Actually i enjoyed Risen 1 very much. Yes when i first played it was bad very bad and i hated it. When i gave it second chance i really liked it. I finished it by using Bow as main weapon. Range is better and easier than melee. Risen 2 was kind of boring and didn't get me excited so i didn't played it much. Those games are not bad they just quite hard despite the problems. Of course PC version is superior the Xbox. but please don't bash a game only because it has some problems. There are games that are bad very bad but the game is bad also. Risen has good story and the game is quite interesting but the bugs and stuff make the game looks bad if you avoid those problems its quite enjoyable really.

MrNukes likes this

Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I'm going to wait till the price drops significantly on steam before i consider trying it out. with what I'm hearing here it seems like the quality took a bigger dip on the second game. Though i think ill try our those Gothic games.

Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I'm going to wait till the price drops significantly on steam before i consider trying it out. with what I'm hearing here it seems like the quality took a bigger dip on the second game. Though i think ill try our those Gothic games.

Try Gothic 1 and Gothic 2, Gothic 2 is the best one of the series. You could try the third one although i would sugest to skip it. Its horrible .... if you think that Risen is bad Gothic 3 was unplayable.... only after lots of patches and 1 expantion and 1 fun made patch is playable again. but try it if you want too.

fawster likes this

Try Gothic 1 and Gothic 2, Gothic 2 is the best one of the series. You could try the third one although i would sugest to skip it. Its horrible .... if you think that Risen is bad Gothic 3 was unplayable.... only after lots of patches and 1 expantion and 1 fun made patch is playable again. but try it if you want too.

With the last patch the third is enjoyable, it's not at the level of the 1st nor the 2nd but it's kind of a good game.

Anyway the Gothic collection with all the three games + Night of the Raven for Gothic 2 is priced 30 euro here in Italy so it's quite cheap too. The second game + Night of the Raven is one of the must play for every rpg lover.

fawster likes this

hey if you want to play the Gothic games you can get them on GOG.com DRM free for 10$ each but yeah if i were you dont get Gothic 3 or 4 i didnt like them

hey if you want to play the Gothic games you can get them on GOG.com DRM free for 10$ each but yaeh if i were you dont get Gothic 3 or 4 i didnt like them

The 4th isn't Gothic, it's a nightmare.

Bimpy782 and fawster like this

The 4th isn't Gothic, it's a nightmare.

I can't even get it to work.