• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Crazycrab

I'm Boycotting Electronic Arts

38 posts in this topic

It's going to be long one guys so if you can't be bothered reading this image sorta sums it up.

eat-shit-and-die-ea.jpg

I've been thinking lately about EA and their terrible practices over the past few years and was going to say "Ok, enough is enough I'm not buying their shit anymore" but I've realised 2 things.

First EA have been conducting these practices ever since they founded but it's only in more recent years that people (for the most part) have started to take notice.  Lets look at this past year with games like Sim City, X Rebirth, Battlefield 4 among several others all being pushed out the door without polish, unfinished, broken and sometimes down right unplayable.

But lets look back to 1996 and Magic Carpet 2 Netherworlds developed by the now legendary Bullfrog games and published by EA of course.

Still one of my favourites from back in the day and a huge improvement over it's predecessor with excellent gameplay, UI and the graphics were top notch at the time.  If you haven't played it before I highly recommend getting the DosBox emulator and giving it a go.

There was however one problem, the game was broken ass all hell.  It was pretty much impossible to get through the first 4 levels without crashing and forget about using SVGA on any level because you will crash within ten minutes.  Back them I was kid who liked the game and just basically pushed through the issues and never asked why was this the case?  It turns out it's because EA pushed it out for a holiday release without doing any proper testing.....  Sound familiar?

The second thing I realised that weather I've been subconsciously doing so or it's just a coincidence I've actually been boycotting them for a while now.  I think the last EA title I bought new was Battlefield 3 and I honestly didn't really like it that much. I haven't bought any DLC for my library of EA games for well over a year either (at least not to my knowledge).  I also got Need for Speed Rivals for PS4 but I Bought it used, even though it was only about 2 or 3 quid less.

Another thing that I suspect although can't confirm is that EA were one of, if not the leading force behind that DRM bullshit that Microsoft and Sony where going to implement on the Next Gen systems (and before Sony fans start flaming me it is the truth, Shuhei Yoshida admitted it to a Japanese magazine himself here's the article http://www.tomshardware.com/news/DRM-Xbox-One-PlayStation-4-Shuhei-Yoshida-Hiroshi-Kawano,23292.html).

The reason why I think this is because of Nintendo and the WiiU, I want you keep in mind as you read this the fact that the WiiU is the only 8th gen platform that never had these restrictions in the place.  EA have pulled support form the platform, this has been officially attributed to poor sales and the fact that the WiiU uses Power PC architecture rather than the more industry standard X86 making it a pain in the ass for third parties.  Whilst I do believe there is substantial truth to this the fact that is EA have been so vocal about the WiiU at times even abrasively calling it crap, here's the article http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/17/ea-senior-engineer-the-wii-u-is-crap.  

lets look at Fifa 14, it is released on Windows PC, PS4, XBox One, PS3, Xbox 360, PSVita, Nintendo 3DS, IOS, Android, PSP, Wii and even PS2 but not WiiU.  They can release the game on portable devices, last gen systems Nintendo's previous iteration and even a dead 6th gen console but not the WiiU?  There is no way this is a coincidence EA dropped their support at least partly because of Nintendo's refusal to go along with DRM, and that's why I believe that they are the main architects of it putting pressure on Sony and Microsoft.  Also remember how they announced they were dropping online passes (which turned to be lie) just before these systems were revealed, again not a coincidence.

There are some up and coming EA games I want like Mirrors Edge 2 but won't be buying them new, even if I have wait a few days or even weeks.  As I'm sure you are aware there is so much more wrong with this company, Error 37, pay to win DLC on retail games, removal of local play on their racing franchises, I could go on forever but I think it's time to make my declaration.

I do now officially boycott Electronic Arts LTD until I see evidence of substantial improvements in their products, customer service and business practices.

Thanks for taking the time to read and let me know if you intend to do the same thing.

good luck :mellow:

I can see your points and understand your reasonings. However, EA is not the only company doing this sort of thing. EA is one of the biggest companies in gaming and they make a lot of games, so they get a lot of shit for it. Fair enough. But if you boycott EA for these practices, you should also boycott other companies (SEGA for Rome 2 comes to mind). 

Bimpy782 likes this

I can see your points and understand your reasonings. However, EA is not the only company doing this sort of thing. EA is one of the biggest companies in gaming and they make a lot of games, so they get a lot of shit for it. Fair enough. But if you boycott EA for these practices, you should also boycott other companies (SEGA for Rome 2 comes to mind). 

I think the point he's getting is that EA are by far the worst for this. They done it for years and I personally have no doubt they'll keep doing it regardless of what there customers tell them.

I'm don't buy EA games new anyway.

Most stupid thing I've been reading this year...

There...

Most stupid thing I've been rading this year...

Rading? What's Rading?

I know you meant reading, but if you're gonna call somebody stupid without giving a reason to back your opinion up as if you're some of dick head, the least you can do is take the time to spell your post correctly.

Most stupid thing I've been rading this year...

I'm with Shagger on this. Also, your own threads are a hell of a lot worse than this one. He who lives in a glass house and all that.

On point: Good luck with the boycott, It's good to see people defend their principles. And it sounds like you already weren't buying EA games a lot, so hopefully it won't affect you that much.

BSB, Shagger and Divergence like this

I'm happy that more gamers are tired of being treated like garbage by these greedy publishers

EA has never had a good reputation from the beginning, I don't know why people even think they did.

Saying you are boycotting them until they fix how they do things is also a little funny. Since inception the company has been not very ethically good to say the least and its been how many years they have been running this way?

The only thing that will make them change is having to go out of business and then maybe they will have learned what not to do from the experience.

Honestly if people really have an issue with a company then they need to not give them profits but in reality this isn't a small game company for every one game someone doesn't buy there are many others out there who will. So while people think not buying the game works in most cases it doesn't have the desired impact one wants it to.

Most game publishers honestly don't care about the consumer or care about making their games with valuable content anymore. They just want to make the $$$$$ off of people.

I've never been big on the boycotting thing. I mostly play games for my enjoyment and I don't really nitpick when it comes to publishers or devs themselves. Mainly due to the fact that I have limited funds and if I see a game I can afford and that looks enough fun for me to play, I'll pick it up. The last time I got something from EA was the bundle at late summer. And as dickish as it is, I used to pirate games heavily. I hate myself for that, but that's nature of a dumb and unemployed kid/ teenager. Now that I can get games in bundles and cheaper in general, I rather pay for them with whatever funds I have. But back on topic now. Like Divergence already pointed out - most of these big publishing houses don't care much for their customers, let alone the 1% who don't buy their games because they're not okay with their business practices or anything else that's got to do with their games. Other than that, I wish you and all the other boycotters all the luck in changing the existing status quo (I'm not sure I'm using that term right, so correct me if I'm wrong, please).

Rading? What's Rading?

I know you meant reading, but if you're gonna call somebody stupid without giving a reason to back your opinion up as if you're some of dick head, the least you can do is take the time to spell your post correctly.

Dis is wun of the stoopedist pousts I've red all yeer.

I agree with this... I have a burning hatred for simcity after it still blue screens my computer after how long ?

LOL and then when i tried to appeal this claim... They said it was my fault :huh: Are you f^&*^&g kidding me EA ?

Dis is wun of the stoopedist pousts I've red all yeer.

Oh you, what a troll. I approve of this troll, however. It is rather amusing...

On topic though, good luck in your boycott of EA. Its not going to make a difference, not at all, unless you get tens of thousands of other players to also boycott EA... Which I don't see happening in the foreseeable future. You'd have to cut into their profits like a hot sword through butter (You know, because swords are bigger than knives...) to make even a little bit of a difference. Like you though, I've kind of been boycotting them without meaning to for the last several years too. Which is completely fine with me. The last EA game I bought was Dragon Age Origins. I have Dragon Age II, but a friend gave that to me. So... yeah.

i hate the idea of boycotting, if you don't like their prodcuts, don't buy them and when they'll see that the product sales are dropping significantly they'll release better games in the future.

I agree with what elioden ward said

Its not going to make a difference, not at all, unless you get tens of thousands of other players to also boycott EA... Which I don't see happening in the foreseeable future.

People have to remember even if they drop games like simcity, battlefield and medal of honour and quite a few other games i cant be bothered to mention lol.

There will always be FIFA and that game makes enough money to keep EA afloat for a good few years alone.

So even if one person did stop playing EA games there is always gonna be those millions of people that play FIFA and buy packs of players off them...

But as i said in my previous post I'm not a fan of EA since simcity but FIFA will always outshine most of the games because of the die hard fans.

No cookies for you.

:(

Why do you hurt me so?

cookie_monster_original.jpg

One does not need to boycott EA, they're a business they will never want anything other than your money.

Just be very selective and go through many reviews BEFORE deciding on a purchase, which is what you should always do good reputation or not.

Matin Sanguine and Gone too like this

Personally, I want to buy a few EA games, like BF4 and the new Dragon Age, but I just can't trust them, I know  the problems with BF4 on PC (i am unaware if they have fixed these issues) but I just can't trust them with up coming games because I have a feeling the games are being rushed, they will get ridiculous DLC prices, and we will pay 60 (or more with taxes)  for incomplete buggy games.

Eh, I don't boycott entire companies, I just don't buy shitty games. For example, I didn't buy RE6 from Capcom because it looked like garbage but I did buy Duck Tales Remastered and Dragon's Dogma and they were great. Just do your research and buy games that deserve it and avoid the shitty, broken ones. To me this is more effective than boycotting because it lets publishers know what they're doing right.

I'm currently subbed to The Old Republic (published by EA) because I want to play through the story for each class and honestly it is worth the $15 I pay each month. I do disagree with how shitty their "Free to Play" option is (because it makes the game suck as much as possible to try and get people to sub) but it doesn't bug me that much since I don't mind paying the sub. That being said, I wouldn't touch Battle Field 4 with a 10 foot pole after hearing of all the crashing and bugs in it.

the last EA title i bought was BF4 lol but before that was Rugby 06 and 08 and before those i've never outright purchased an EA title at all, i rent games and if they're worth buying then i'll buy it

No EA game had ever fallen under that category, the Rugby games are because im a rugby fanatic and battlefield 4 because i always heard the online was great, especially on PC

Before BF4 i just played COD if i was in a shooter mood

So my point being that i've only purchased 3 EA titles ever and they still haven't learnt the errors of their ways.

For your boycott to be effective you need to think on a larger scale. 

Instead of a "boycott", start a movement, garner enough support and a movement becomes a lot more threatening.

MrMadakey likes this

I like Bioware and DICE.