• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

TheFallenLord

Games with the best storylines

22 posts in this topic

So recently I just finished watching a walkthrough of Beyond Two Souls, and while a lot of people don't really like it, I personally thought it was amazing, mainly because of its interesting and imersive storyline. So I started thinking about the games I thought had the best storyline, and I decided to find out which games the rest of the gaming community had the best storylines. Below are the my personal top 5 games with the best stories:

1. Beyond Two Souls

2. The Last of Us

3. Half Life 2

4. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

5. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 

Well, I find a lot of games have really interesting stories even if I don't play them.

Like BlazBlue. I don't really care to play fighting games but I find the story lines for the games really interesting. Bioshock games also have a really cool take on things for the stories but I find the gameplay overall not that great itself.

Some stories I find a bit convoluted/overly complex like the KH series but overall love the gameplay.

I play way to many RPG's so there's quite a few games/series I think blend story and gameplay well..... SMT games, Fire Emblem, most Final Fantasy games...ect, ect... So even though I have a lot of favorites picking a few games is kind of tricky for me.

If I'm including things like the world, characters, lore, side mission, etc in addition to the main plot then

Planescape Torment

Baldurs Gate series

Metro 2033

Bastion

Knights of the Old Republic

Knights of the Old Republic 2

Suikoden 2

The Longest Journey

The Witcher

The Witcher 2

Most of the Shin Megami Tensei series and spin offs (Persona, Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner, etc)

Final Fantasy 4

Final Fantasy 6

Final Fantasy 9

Tales of the Abyss

Tales of Vesperia

Fallout

Fallout 2

Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind

Final Fantasy Tactics

Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together

Shadow of the Colossus

Shadowrun Returns

System Shock 2

Deus Ex

Silent Hill 2

Chrono Trigger

Metal Gear Solid 3

Mass Effect series

Xenogears (though it has been a long time since I played it)

Heard Neverwinter Nights 2 Mask of the Betrayer had a good story but I haven't played it yet. Also never played Grim Fandango, Brothers, Phantasy Star series, or Dreamfall.

My head just exploded. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, a game with no story, over Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Where's my cough syrup?

Old Republic

Witcher 2

The Darkness & The Darkness 2

Dragon Age Origins

Spec Ops The Line

Metro 2033

Transformers Fall of Cybertron

Final Fantasy 9

BioShock

Mark of Kri

Here are my top 10 favorite stories in games

10. Metriod Series

9. Batman Arkham City

8. Papers, Please

7. Mortal Kombat

6. Red Dead Redemption

5. Team Fortress 2

4. L.A Noire

3. Bioshock

2. Deus Ex

1. Halo

Knights of the old republic

Heavy rain

Dragon age: origins

Red dead redemption

Batman: arkham city

Metal gear solid 3: snake eater

Legend of Zelda: ocarina of time

Some of the one I would list have been said, Like Heavy Rain, TLOU and Skyrim, but I've got a slightly more unusual thing to add.

What is a true testament to a great in game story, a good game you play all they way through with a great story, or a bad game you play though because of a great story.

I'm talking about Final Fantasy XII. This game had one of the worst character advancement systems I've played in any RPG ever being both overly complicated and with a very poor tutorial and it made combat effectiveness almost completely dependant of the equipment you had. Item scavenging that required either vast knowledge of the game or twice as much luck, both of them before you start the game and through out. Combat, whilst had in interesting tactical presence through the gambit system, was predicable, slow and rarely a challenge. The game also seemed to have really fuzzy graphics that were just less colourful and appealing to the eye as Final Fantasy X.

Despite all this, I played all they way through and have fond memories for it's dramatic scenario, charismatic and interesting characters, epic story with subtle yet enjoyable political undertones and host of unexpected and well ingratiated twists. The world itself was interesting two with how the different races and factions interact with each other and the world they live in without throwing the messages they bring in you face and whilst the people were easy to relate to, they weren't so cliched that they didn't feel their own in the own way.

Whilst I still think it's a bad game, allot of people ignore the quality of the story because of that. Either that or because there one "those" FF fanboys who claim to be amongst the biggest fans of the franchise despite the fact the seem to hate every single game apart from FFVII, but either way, this aspect of FFXII is seriously underrated.

BIoshock Infinite

Knights of the Old Republic (both games)

The Old Republic (MMO)

Mass Effect (first two games)

Blazblue

Disgaea 4

Dragon Age Origins (and its DLC)

Dishonored

Metal Gear Solid

Mass Effect trilogy

Phantasy Star games

Final Fantasy 7, 9, 10, 12

Crono Trigger

My top 5:

1.The witcher 1

2.The witcher2

3.Dragon age origins

4.Mass effect 2

5.Bioshock Infinite

1 Brothers - A tale of two sons

2 Tomb raider

3 magicka

4 The witcher 1 and 2

From what I've played and remember :P

Grim Fandango

The Longest Journey

Baldur's Gate series

As much as i hate it i have to admit that Planescape Torment has an awesome storyline

If they keep it up with the third game The Witcher series

Mass Effect 1&2

Anyway...seriously? Skyrim?

No particular order and i'm sure i am forgetting stuff left and right

1. LA Noire (let the hate begin)

2. Mass Effect 2

3. Quest for Glory 5

4. Max Payne Series

5. Deus Ex

Drakengard, still being a broken record with this game. Do love.

FF7 and Crisis Core together to fill the holes (7 is still one of my favorite games of all time even without the crisis core story line)

Resident evil 1, 2 and 3

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Every single Elder scrolls up until Skyrim

The last of us story line is a force to be reckoned with

My favourite storyline in any game is the Blazblue storyline (both games btw). I played the game for three days just to get all of the endings, and I hate fighting games!

1. Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings

2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1

3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2

4. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

5. Star Wars: The Old Republic, the Imperial Agent class storyline

(SWTOR may not be a "great" game, but I always thought that story was absolutely top notch)

My favorite story of all time is that of the one in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Revan is by far my favorite protagonist.

Other games with great stories include Half-Life, Dragon Age: Origins, Dishonored, Assassin's Creed. There are more, but those are some of my favorites.

Most of the Final Fantasy games. Playing through IX right now and I fucking love it. Sure, the stories in those games are pretty much the same, but they're fucking great.

Oh, and Darksiders. One of the best hack'n'slash with one of the best stories.