• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Alien: Isolation   15 members have voted

1. 1. What will you say to the Alien?

• Get away from her you B****!
    • Game over man, game over!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

62 posts in this topic

AlienIsolationBanner2_zpsec0b50ed.png

How will you survive? Discover the true meaning of fear in Alien: Isolation, a survival horror set in an atmosphere of constant dread and mortal danger. Fifteen years after the events of Alien, Ellen Ripley's daughter, Amanda enters desperate battle for survival, on a mission to unravel the truth behind her mother's disappearance.

As Amanda, you will navigate through an increasingly volatile world as you find yourself confronted on all sides by a panicked, desperate population and an unpredictable, ruthless Alien.

Underpowered and underprepared, you must scavenge resources, improvise solutions and use your wits, not just to succeed in your mission, but to simply stay alive.

Alien: Isolation

- Price: $59.99, £44.99

- Release Date: October 7, 2014

- Rated: Rating Pending

- Genre: Survival Horror

In space no one can hear you scream.

For the best of my mental state I decided to stick to the classic movies and ignore anything new as far as "Aliens" goes.

I dislike seeing a beloved things name beat down in to a heap of festering corpse ridden feces.

There is no horror value to the game no matter how much like Amnesia they try and make it.

Purely because we know Ripley's daughter lives to be in her 80's so we know she can't die in the game without shitting on lore which the fans won't accept.

So it's not "survival" horror .... it's just jump scares r us.

Personally, I think they screwed up by trying to attach something to lore we already know something about. They showed us Ripley's daughter as an old woman near the beginning of Aliens. So that instantly says to me they are trying a cash grab so fans of the franchise can live Amanda's tale (a tale that we know ends up with her growing old so again, hardly a suspense riddled tale).

What they should have done is a Newt style story and aimed it at someone from a colony that has been overrun. Somebody we'd never heard of.

I don't have high hopes for it because of Colonial Marines. A game they touted as being a true sequel to Aliens. AVP was good clean fun for killing joy but they tried to add to the lore in a bad way with CM and now someone else is going to try it.

It's going to be shit.

No ifs or buts .... just plain shit.

Edit - I was wrong .... she was 66 when she died of cancer, not 80. Still, it takes the suspense away when you know she lives to a ripe old age and dies of cancer not alien teeth to the face.

Sorry OP, I didn't really read your post. 

This game.. seems like everything I've wanted in an Alien game for the next step for it to take - Horror.
That's not to say that AvP series and other Aliens games didn't succeed with that bit but here, armed with nothing at all, against what appears to be the same style of Alien that we saw from the first movie, in environments that appear to be made in the same style of the first movie (and a stage we saw again in both Alien Trilogy and AvP1 2000 Classic). Now I'm curious about the story, and they better not FUCK it up! The only thing better in my mind would be to make a game where you play entirely from one Alien's viewpoint the entire game and nothing else, or a remake of the C64 Alien game where you steer the crew of the Nostromo as you attempt to get rid of the Alien.

Just throwing it out here,
There is none on this forum that is more of an Alien geek than what I am.

There is no horror value to the game no matter how much like Amnesia they try and make it.

Purely because we know Ripley's daughter lives to be in her 80's so we know she can't die in the game without shitting on lore which the fans won't accept.

So it's not "survival" horror .... it's just jump scares r us.

Personally, I think they screwed up by trying to attach something to lore we already know something about. They showed us Ripley's daughter as an old woman near the beginning of Aliens. So that instantly says to me they are trying a cash grab so fans of the franchise can live Amanda's tale (a tale that we know ends up with her growing old so again, hardly a suspense riddled tale).

What they should have done is a Newt style story and aimed it at someone from a colony that has been overrun. Somebody we'd never heard of.

I don't have high hopes for it because of Colonial Marines. A game they touted as being a true sequel to Aliens. AVP was good clean fun for killing joy but they tried to add to the lore in a bad way with CM and now someone else is going to try it.

It's going to be shit.

No ifs or buts .... just plain shit.

Edit - I was wrong .... she was 66 when she died of cancer, not 80. Still, it takes the suspense away when you know she lives to a ripe old age and dies of cancer not alien teeth to the face.

Don't kill this for me D: Alien Infestation on NDS was amazing compared to the trash of Aliens Colonial Marines.
AvP was an amazing series of at least seven different games but only three that most people know about (the others are a mixed bag).
ACM was just........ Uuugh. Calling it a true sequel when that was impossible to even take place on LV421 ever again.

I could whine about ACM and Prometheus forever.
This trailer, I'm actually a bit hyped over like I was when AvP3 was announced.
I have a good intuition about this! Follow my lead Gomly and if I start going "Abort! Abort!", then you'll know! :P

Ironically the best part about ACM is the small cameo of an not-used Giger design of an Alien you can find in containment.
That, and a DLC mission that contains a completely different set of characters. That and also stage 5 was kinda good.. Or was it stage 4?

acm21_zps5cc1751f.jpg

I have a good intuition about this! Follow my lead Gomly and if I start going "Abort! Abort!", then you'll know! :P

Okay, i'll take you at your word for this one and i'll stay optimistic.

Rainversey likes this

Well since you so much about this character, why not tell us about her... other than than the fact she dies at the age of 66 due to cancer.

I'm sorry but i do hope this game will be good... Buuuut I aint holding my breath

Sorry H+ :(

Well since you so much about this character, why not tell us about her... other than than the fact she dies at the age of 66 due to cancer.

Did you even read his full post ?

Probably not. This is the internet and selective literacy is the majority.

Since you ask....

Her name is Amanda "Amy" Ripley-McClaren. She was conceived during a stop over between haulage trips. Contrary to Weyland-Yutani policy, Ripley was not disciplined and the pregnancy was allowed to come to term.

She was delivered in a home birth with Ripley's husband present and was still a child when Ripley vanished with the Nostromo.

Amy was married, thus the McClaren add to the name but had no children of her own.

She was born June 24th 2111 and died of cancer on December 23rd 2177 at the age of 66.

Her photo and brief description was shown in the Special Edition of Aliens when Ripley is in hospital. She is also mentioned in the Aliens novel as well as the Alien Resurrection novel. She also appears in Alien: Earth War and Alien: The Female War.

Nowhere, until now, was it mentioned she worked for "the company" since it was stated that Amanda hated her mother for leaving to work for them.

All this is found in the AVP wiki if you take a few seconds to use the wonderful Google.

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Amanda_Ripley-McClaren

Rainversey likes this

I said previously that I would love an Alien game in the style of Amensia, running and hide and shitting yourself.

I am extremely skeptical, but god damn if a part of me is very excited, even if only at the prospect,

But WTF is up with the title? Origins?! Talk about a generic piss-ass title.
I hope they lose that part of it.

It is rumored that a single Xenomorph will be present for most of the game, which would focus on survival horror with a slower pace rather than the frantic action seen in other Alien games such as Aliens: Colonial Marines (2013) and Aliens vs. Predator (2010). However, the player will also spend some time shooting several types of enemies which are planned to include clones and soldiers. Vents, lockers, and melee weapons will factor into the gameplay.

Source; http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Alien:_Isolation

I sure as hell hope there will be none of the latter mentioning of shooting different types of enemies. This game has the potential of being absolutely fantastic and to overuse a phrase Revolutionary if they only have a single enemy in the entire game and your only goal is to survive. That is frankly the kind of Alien game, I want to play. I fucking hope they're not pulling a Alien Colonial Marines on us again by showing us one quarter of the game which looks amazing and then toss some bullshit in like "WE DON'T LEAVE MARINES BEHIND!:angry:

Alien_Isolation_Xeno.jpg

You beautiful, beautiful thing you ~
Again, I shall have nightmares about you ~
Look very closely on it's skull and you can see that it's actually a bit translucent.

I sure as hell hope there will be none of the latter mentioning of shooting different types of enemies. This game has the potential of being absolutely fantastic and to overuse a phrase Revolutionary if they only have a single enemy in the entire game and your only goal is to survive. That is frankly the kind of Alien game, I want to play. I fucking hope they're not pulling a Alien Colonial Marines on us again by showing us one quarter of the game which looks amazing and then toss some bullshit in like "WE DON'T LEAVE MARINES BEHIND!:angry:

I'm going to remain optimistic ... because you said it's going to be good so if it's not I can blame you...

BUT.....

I'm not seeing how they can pull off half of what they say.

For one, Amanda was never a marine, she wasn't a soldier of any sort. She hated the company and her mother.

The only way they can pull it off is by butchering the lore surrounding her which is going to annoy people no matter how good the game is.

Like I said, they would have been better served using a no name from a colony and having a Newt surviving in the air ducts stealth game.

Looks promising but I seriously don't want to have any nightmares D:

And yay.. my scream when something scary happens, the whole town probably hers it..

Rainversey likes this

The last time I got hyped for an Aliens game...Colonial Marines...enough said. I've learned my lesson

I'm going to remain optimistic ... because you said it's going to be good so if it's not I can blame you...

BUT.....

I'm not seeing how they can pull off half of what they say.

For one, Amanda was never a marine, she wasn't a soldier of any sort. She hated the company and her mother.

The only way they can pull it off is by butchering the lore surrounding her which is going to annoy people no matter how good the game is.

Like I said, they would have been better served using a no name from a colony and having a Newt surviving in the air ducts stealth game.

I see this idea working by them skipping the entire shooting sections in favor of someone who just runs and hides.

Sorta like the idea they're presenting here! D: But it never says she hates the company on the wikipage, only that she hates her mother.

But as you said earlier, novels and comics might dwell into that. I have all the comics, just never gotten around to read them :P

In books, I have both Aliens: Earth Hive and Alien.

And they really, really, turn Newt into a slut from what I can remember of the book x_x..

The best part of that book was hearing how the Earth forces sought out and exterminated every Alien threat they heard about and yet they still lost in the long run against them.

I sure as hell hope they don't fuck this up. I mean I can totally see her reason as to why she would join the company in order to find her mother if they were to announce;

"Yeah, we think we might know where she is and we would like you to come with our team. You'd be fully compensated for your effort of course and it will be a chance for you to reunite again with her. We believe that she would favor seeing her daughter again, will you not accept this offer from us?"

I think what disturbed me the most thus far was that someone in the trailer mentions a line that I can't hear properly which says something like "The Nostromo went missing" and my bs alarm went off like "IT WAS BLOWN INTO A QUADRILLION PIECES!" but then I had to calm down and think "Well it did go missing..l For them, they have no idea what happened to it after all. They wont' know that until Ripley comes back.. Calm down, calm down." - Let's say that I am very hopeful, but the scars of ACM, the fucking insult of that and Prometheus.. They are there.

The last time I got hyped for an Aliens game...Colonial Marines...enough said. I've learned my lesson

Personally I was always more hyped for this which turned out to be amazing;

It kinds of reminds me of Dead Space, because it's on space. Also, how withastick says, it feels a little like amnesia. I never played amnesia, but i doubt this game will have the same freatures as amnesia. I mean,n amnesia you have the flashlight only (i guess), on the trailer it shows a detection thing, so it might be more then amnesia (besides you can climb stairs and stuff).

So this might be amnesia and dead space together, with some more freatures. It acutay looks promesing.

Also it's not so common to play as a female character in horror videogames (at least in the popular ones). I know it's not a relevant, but it might make this horror game be seen in a different perspective (just me saying).

I'm not a he fan of aliens to, but this look like it will be good.

I see this idea working by them skipping the entire shooting sections in favor of someone who just runs and hides.

Sorta like the idea they're presenting here! D: But it never says she hates the company on the wikipage, only that she hates her mother.

But as you said earlier, novels and comics might dwell into that. I have all the comics, just never gotten around to read them :P

In books, I have both Aliens: Earth Hive and Alien.

And they really, really, turn Newt into a slut from what I can remember of the book x_x..

The best part of that book was hearing how the Earth forces sought out and exterminated every Alien threat they heard about and yet they still lost in the long run against them.

Some of that is my assumption.

I'd just assume with her hating her mother she would probably dislike the company that sent her mother away too. It makes sense. If they kept it to a pure stealth game then i'll be more than happy with that, and kept it as claustrophobic as the original Alien.

I try and avoid some of the extended universe involving characters I know so I haven't read much about Newt after Aliens (besides wondering how she made it into the extended universe after she dies at the start of Alien 3).

Much like how some women end up dating Yautja in the AVP extended universe. 

Some tales just go a bit bizarre.

Some of that is my assumption.

I'd just assume with her hating her mother she would probably dislike the company that sent her mother away too. It makes sense. If they kept it to a pure stealth game then i'll be more than happy with that, and kept it as claustrophobic as the original Alien.

I try and avoid some of the extended universe involving characters I know so I haven't read much about Newt after Aliens (besides wondering how she made it into the extended universe after she dies at the start of Alien 3).

Much like how some women end up dating Yautja in the AVP extended universe. 

Some tales just go a bit bizarre.

Personally, I dig the Yautja women. Taller than the men, stronger, and far more deadlier. I thought they would be the focal point of the movie Predators but alas I was wrong - They just turned it into a fucking racist movie instead by pulling this new larger stronger "Super Predators" out of their arses.

Well she's only refereed to as Newt in the comics I believe while in the book, it's just a name change. 

That is my hope that they do. The trailer speaks promises about that.

But so did ACM and we know how that ended. 

Personally, I dig the Yautja women. Taller than the men, stronger, and far more deadlier. I thought they would be the focal point of the movie Predators but alas I was wrong - They just turned it into a fucking racist movie instead by pulling this new larger stronger "Super Predators" out of their arses.

Well she's only refereed to as Newt in the comics I believe while in the book, it's just a name change. 

That is my hope that they do. The trailer speaks promises about that.

But so did ACM and we know how that ended. 

Female Yautja are awesome (and I agree, I thought that was how the Predators movie would go) but I do get a bit worried when people write love tales between human women and male Yautja.

Even if we put aside the fact that the average Predator is over 7 feet tall lets just remember how physically strong these buggers are and one orgasm later would probably cost the poor woman an arm at the very least, maybe some ruptured organs.

But I digress.....

They have a chance to make an Alien game and make it well. All they have to do is keep it simple and stealthy and jobs a good one.

Rainversey likes this

There is so many conversations that I want to quote! I got to be that parent that can't really choose a favorite. Sorry I'm pulling that old trick. But I will say this to the current conversation.

I still stick to what I said about how I feel that it seems Amnesia like. Even though you can clearly see the girl you play has using other equipment, like the famous scanner. I'm glad we are talking about this, whether we are passionate about the lore of a universe. Or you want to give it a chance, cause you really want to see if this can be what you always wanted in a Alien game. This is the kind of things I like talking about in this gaming community. Whether its a game series or brand name I personally am not really connected with, or something I am passionate about. We all look at this and have some kind of feeling of passion to it. Whether it will be hated or a loved for it.

Plus I'm learning so much about the lore of the Alien universe from this conversation, and I have to say... Its pretty interesting. I still got questions for it, maybe I don't know the whole story of it all. But please carry on.

Honestly i'm terrified that this will bomb too. If this is awful we might never get a good aliens game. This time i'm going to sit back and wait for Joe's review, unlike what I did last time where I paid full fucking price for colonial marines, beat it, wanted to smash it, and then watched Joe's review.

I'll be watching this one from the sidelines. I can't get hype for another Aliens game after CM. Will wait for more info in the upcoming months.  

However, the player will also spend some time shooting several types of enemies which are planned to include clones and soldiers.

Just gotta force in those enemy soldiers into the Alien games! Can't be focused on the xenomorphs at all!