• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Crazycrab

4K, Is it really necessary?

39 posts in this topic

Of course it's not necessary however if humans lived based on what is necessary we'd still be living in a tribal hunter-gatherer society.

Also I honestly cannot conceive why people are complaining about technological advancement especially in a forum which I would assume is mainly made up of gamers.

First we had black and white, then we had color, then we had HD, 4k will be the next standard, after that, we will have holodeck, gg.

The best thing about 4k TVs is the inevitable price reduction of 1080p TVs. I don't see a point in upgrading when I can't tell a difference anyway and my 32 inch does the job I need it to do

After seeing a display at Office Depot, I must say... the difference between 4K and 1080p seems almost nonexistent to me. I cannot see any point in getting a 4K television or monitor when 1080p seems about the same, and is also much cheaper.

After seeing a display at Office Depot, I must say... the difference between 4K and 1080p seems almost nonexistent to me. I cannot see any point in getting a 4K television or monitor when 1080p seems about the same, and is also much cheaper.

It's all about display size, once you start getting into the 70" range the difference becomes insanely apparent.

Ummm no, not even remotely relatable technological advancements nor are they heading in the same direction, 3D is a gimmick, 4K is not. 4K is absolutely the future of television it's just not going to be for quite a few years, it's not going anywhere it's just going to take adoption time. Comparing 4K to 1080p is like night and day especially when side by side, have you ever seen a 70"+ 1080p TV?

It looks absolutely horrendous, the pixel density is so spread out it's disgusting and if you're within 10 feet feet you can see almost all of them. TV's by default are getting bigger and bigger, smaller sizes still exist obviously but in time those are the only ones which will remain in the 1080p format. I would estimate that by 2018 there won't even be 1080p TV's anymore above 50".

1080p is not going anywhere but 4K will be moving in shortly and pushing it down the ladder.

Hate to tell you, but 4K is a gimmick too.

And a FYI, no broadcaster is actually broadcasting in 1080p today (it isn't cost efficient).  The bandwidth that can handle a 4K stream does not exist.  The PS4 and XB1 does not support 4K currently, and given how well the first wave of titles performed, 4K support might be closer to never. Blu-ray cannot support 4K.  In short, there is no support for 4K anywhere, period.

I'd rather them improve frame rate.

sorta reminds me of a sunglass add I saw advertising they made the world look high definition...yes that's right, high definition glasses...because there are to many pixels in rl

And a FYI, no broadcaster is actually broadcasting in 1080p today (it isn't cost efficient).  The bandwidth that can handle a 4K stream does not exist.  The PS4 and XB1 does not support 4K currently, and given how well the first wave of titles performed, 4K support might be closer to never. Blu-ray cannot support 4K.  In short, there is no support for 4K anywhere, period.

Basically what you are saying is that 4k isn't the FUTURE because nothing supports it NOW? I don't think I have to point out the flaw in that argument.

Looking at something office depot displays might be very wonky. It always depends on the ype of medium they use, if it's upscaled, if they split the signal to several TVs etc. I saw 4k on a 80" display with 4k videos and images and keeping the size of the display in mind it looked damn impressive.

If we are talking about objects that are small such as distant threats in a dogfight or spotting an enemy from afar, then 4K will be better.

It's not a gimmick, especially considering that TV's are getting larger and larger and 1080p pixel density is spreading too far and presenting clear and defined visible pixels. It's something which will be necessary in the coming years for large format displays, 100%.

There is plenty of 1080p broadcasted content, I'm not entirely sure where you're getting that information from that there's not, that is wholly incorrect. It's not Blu-Ray bitrate or anything of that nature but it's native 1080p content. In terms of streaming that is also completely incorrect, your internet connection is not the whole of the Internet and what other people's connections are capable of, sure streaming 4k is not exactly a viability YET everywhere but in time it will be.

The PS4 and Xbox One simply need a software update to be 4K capable, that's it. In terms of Blu-Ray not supporting 4K you're wrong yet again, you've clearly never heard of four layer Blu-Ray discs with 125gb's of data capacity for 4K content that Samsung is making the push to release by the end of the year. In short you're just flat out wrong, there is no other way to put it, you're 100% wrong across the board.

Oh man, when it rains it pours lol....

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/netflix-app-stream-4k-new-tvs-immediately-2D11897506

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/technology/special-reports/samsung-says-125-gigabyte-bluray-disks-are-on-the-way/story-fnkygzoc-1226797125793

Flying Potato likes this

Erm.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_4?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=4k%20blu%20ray&sprefix=4k+b%2Caps%2C1073

Edit: After doing some research it seems these aren't native 4K. Seems true 4K will only come with the four layer BD's Nya speaks of

I have to agree with Aya. I mean i see no difference between the two also the fact comes into play how big of a freaking tv do you want? i can see the rich getting these massive 60+ inch tvs but thats all. In an average home there is only so much space in the living room. As of right now i also believe 4k is utterly pointless IN A NORMAL HOUSE HOLD. If used for arenas and the such that's fine.

Also to touch up on the subject of 3D i am so sick and tired of going to movies and only having 3D available it makes the damn movie so damn dark! i think joe touched up on this in one of his videos....

I'm looking at AC4 playing on a PS4 at 1080p on a 60in LED television and it looks sharp as a razor. My TV is about as big as any normal household could possibly need, so one can check my name in "4K is pointless" club, at least right now anyway.