• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

wtf1sh

Why are early access games are so popular?!

26 posts in this topic

Hi all!
During the last year I've seen early access games(EAG from now on) gain more and more popularity, and I don't like it. Right now 5 out of the top 10 sellers are EAGs, DayZ sitting at the top.
What is an EAG?It's basically something that costs you money, and is said to be a game one day, but no one can promise anything about that. My main problem is that they are so popular.I will not believe that all those people who buy DayZ(for example, or any other EAG) feels like he wants to take part in develeopment process, find and write about bugs, and all that. I think we just want to have the game, want it right now, and the fact that i can own it now, without waiting a year for release sounds like a good idea. We, the PC gamers, are putting more and more money into games, that haven't even came out yet.That feels like cutting the tree under ourselves.We could be spending that hard earned cash on perfectly good, released games, still we crave for something new, that's not even ready.

What do you think about Early Access Games? Do you have a game that was/ was not worth buying while still in development?

i like playing early access games because i like to experience the game developing and build my own opinon it and not have someone elses

I'm not a fan of it either but I don't have a problem with the companies that use it to get user feedback and shape the game around That feedback. Basically seeing how regular users can break the game...which should be the job of paid beta testers but eh...

Bimpy782 likes this

I play Gnomoria , and I loved how it has more and more content. I considered it a full playable game when i got it, and it received a lot of content since then, i consider that a win. But take a look at early access games nowadays, like Castle Story.DayZ, Rust.. They are just the skeleton of a game,and now that the devs are sitting on a pile of cash, they have much less need to finish the product.

Personally I love early access games, you get to see how the game your so interested is going and you could possibly have a hand in fixing bugs and making the game better for others. My brother and I pooled in our money and bought Wasteland 2 and we absolutely love playing the game, even though there was quite a few bugs in it! We usually try to post feedback about the game and try to help the game developers find other problems so that the final version will be complete. I really see EAGs as a way to buy the game, play them early, and fix problems so in most ways I think its a good idea. But my experience is limited to Wasteland 2 so some EAGs are probably a bad...

wtf1sh likes this

Easy because u get to do three things

1. u get to help Devlop the game with ur FEEDBACK (look at Starbound they have used MANY player made Creations and ideas)

2. u get to work along a group of people who are just as Excited about this as you (new Friends)

3. More of a perk but u usly get some very OP goodies or some sort of Medal that shows u help the game in its EB days

And Greenlighting is fairly safe as the game has to go thu a HUGE community before it gos on sale (usly means no rip off EA games show themselves)

Because new = awesome to many people, and far too many are willing to throw their money around based on promises alone. Just look at Kickstarter, there often is no game of any kind, just a bunch of exciting concepts, there is no certainty that the game may even be made, but people have thrown millions at businesses based solely on promises. Companies have come to take notice of this, so are trying to cash in on it. Joe mentioned this trend in his top 10 gaming controversies of 2013 video as #6, and it pisses me off too.

With games where it's just one purchase, and that's it, other than maybe some DLC later, it's not too bad so long as it is just to get feedback, test balancing, infrastructure, and so on, they get their info, make adjustments, and ship in a timely manner.  If it's like that, it's fine, sadly, especially with F2P games, they end up in some never ending beta cycle claiming how "your feedback will help shape the game" when all it really is, is a ploy to get your money. Time after time with those the stuff people complain about the most stays the same, or could get worse, the already functioning cash shop encroaches on the game more over time, people keep posting things like "do they even play their own game?" as things that were doomed to fail get added or changed too often, and so on.

With F2P centric companies I've found some are really bad at communicating, with people complaining about how their tickets never get answered and such. Although newer ones in the F2P market have come to be very chatty with customers. The problem is it's often useless chatter, Aeria Games is the best example of this. They have monthly "tell us how we're doing" polls where month after month people post the same complaints, and some 50%+ of the people give them the lowest rating possible, but nothing changes, it's just there for show to give the impression that they care, when they don't, that and to get all the complaints in one spot so they're easier to ignore, and so they have a justification for closing complaint threads. They respond to tickets quickly enough, but that's as far as it goes, often not only is your issue not resolved, you can feel more pissed off than you were at the start, and they seem to even troll you for laughs as well. That's exactly what the people behind those games in an infinite beta are like, lots of pointless chatter to make you think you're helping, but they still just do their own thing, and drag out the "beta" as long as possible, so people keep clinging to hope, and throwing them their money.

Thanks for your opinions!
I think we all want to play great games, and most of us are willing to help in the development of the game we think will turn out great. Early access is a gamers dream from this concept. You get to play the game before release, you get to help develop it, and shape it to your liking. My main problem is I see that EAGs have started to mean something else.They are games with very faint concepts and future, more like a technical demo, sold for a high price. Sure you can actually save money)most of the time, sometimes its even pricier) if you buy it before release, but if you think about it, you put in a lot of money for something that really is not playable right now, and thats not saving. A gamer shouldn't be paying to do the developers work.

Personally I hate it.

Some companies have taken the original intent of "early access" or "beta testing" and twisted it into a way to exploit money from gamers.  IMHO it's too easy right now for companies to get people to pay (sometimes full price) for a half-finished game, and then never finish said game, or release it in some half-finished state leaving everyone unsatisfied.

Additionally there's the "new car smell" effect of gaming.  Having open early to a game affects it's launch.  There's excitement around a game when it's first released, but if it's one that's had early access available for months, then the launch is a lot more lackluster.  That excitement isn't there because anyone who was really excited about the game has already been playing for months and may have even already moved on to the next new thing.  This IMHO is something the industry needs to be very careful about.

I guess it all depends for me, I was quite happy to put down money for minecraft in alpha and OMFG look how that turned out. I have bought quite a few EAGs, some have been amazing and even exceeded my expectations....others....For me it also depends on the price of the game. DayZ, $30 for an alpha game is too much for me these days. Starforge I went halves in a founders pack with my mate (you get 2 copies of the game, both get all the same bonuses) sadly as awesome as that game promises to be, it's been a pretty rat shit game since I bought it. Unbelievably boring and too many design flaws.

I guess it all depends for me, I was quite happy to put down money for minecraft in alpha and OMFG look how that turned out. I have bought quite a few EAGs, some have been amazing and even exceeded my expectations....others....For me it also depends on the price of the game. DayZ, $30 for an alpha game is too much for me these days. Starforge I went halves in a founders pack with my mate (you get 2 copies of the game, both get all the same bonuses) sadly as awesome as that game promises to be, it's been a pretty rat shit game since I bought it. Unbelievably boring and too many design flaws.

There is definitely some flexibility depending on the condition of the game and price.  Minecraft for instance, was only $5 when I purchased it and the game was in a fully playable state and didn't have a tremendous amount of game-breaking bugs.  If they hadn't done any more work on it past that, it still would have been a good game and easily worth the $5 price tag.  Compare to some other games that are barely even playable, with half the systems missing *and* ask you to pay full price for early access (and our in-game cash shop is fully functional!).  My personal feeling is that Steam is somewhat complicit in this as well by allowing early access through their service, and they should have tighter guidelines on it to protect their users.

Vikeyev likes this

It's the newest form of Kickstarting but you get to play the game. I think it's a great idea. I was able to trade and get Rust and Contagion and they're both amazing. Contagion could use some tweks on the player zombies and some more direction in the escape mode and then it's pretty much fully done. Rust is great but needs a lot of work. The animations are pretty much place holders since they're pretty cheesy and there needs to be more guns. Also the armor needs to be redone. Cloth looks legit but once you get things like leather and Kevlar it just looks weird. The leather helmet is just a black cloth helmet and the suit is just red. Kevlar helmet is a cap and everything else is just a black shirt and blue jeans.

it's just the next step from kickstarter basically.

The ultimate issue with kickstarter is that there's no real guarantee that you're going to actually get anything. The difference with an early access game is that you have a tangible product as soon as you "kickstart" it, rather than just a pitch and maybe a video of some very very WIP stuff.

Being early access, they don't really have NDAs so you can check youtube or whatever to see if it's something you would be interested in before purchase.

it's just the next step from kickstarter basically.

The ultimate issue with kickstarter is that there's no real guarantee that you're going to actually get anything. The difference with an early access game is that you have a tangible product as soon as you "kickstart" it, rather than just a pitch and maybe a video of some very very WIP stuff.

Being early access, they don't really have NDAs so you can check youtube or whatever to see if it's something you would be interested in before purchase.

This is why it's good. I like Totalbiscuit and I respect him, but he's a huge hypocrite. He constantly says you should never pre-order any game and yet he constantly talks about backing kickstarter projects which are pretty much early access games only you can't see or touch the game for a year or more. I have 2-4 early access games and I love them. Rust doesn't have many problems other than the few cosmetic things and the need for some more content. It's in alpha and yet it's more complete than most early access games. I also have Contagion and I love it. It's in beta and it's literally done. Just a little work on the shotgun animations and the need for a bit more direction in Escape and you're done.

I personally think the EAG system should be re-done. Limit the number of people who can buy EAG, don't display EAG games on top sellers (looking at you Steam), and give a proper warning to those buying it as it's not yet done. There's probably more steps to this, but I'm too lazy to brainstorm ideas if they're probably never gonna be implemented.

I personally think the EAG system should be re-done. Limit the number of people who can buy EAG, don't display EAG games on top sellers (looking at you Steam), and give a proper warning to those buying it as it's not yet done. There's probably more steps to this, but I'm too lazy to brainstorm ideas if they're probably never gonna be implemented.

You have to go to the store page to purchase the game and it has a big blue box stating that it's an early access game. Also if you don't do research on a game before purchasing it and if the game is terrible then you deserve to get a bad product. You didn't do research and took the risk. Like everyone who purchased DayZ standalone right now. The game is in a terrible state. The mod is more complete and more fun to play than the standalone which shouldn't happen. The game costs the same ad ARMA 2 combined ops which shouldn't happen. The game should be sold at $15 since everyone bought CO just to play DayZ. Why should I pay a total of $60 to play a mod/game?

Why are people slamming Kickstarter? There are many successful already released projects with many high profile games still to come out and I've only heard about one scam so far which was from some random indie developer with no background.

EA is fine, there are disclaimers and there's a HOST of information one could gather about the games from youtube and many coverage sites, these games are not under NDA. People know what they're getting into and if they don't it's their fault, buyer beware is a thing and Steam is just a shop. EA and Greenlight were a product of people's outrage at indies not getting into Steam now people are outraged those games are getting in. I don't see the problem whe no one's forcing anybody to spend a dime on them. 

Do you really think what's on the front page affect people that much? It shouldn't. EA games are making loads of dollars because two of the most prominent are the "new genre" of survival whatever multiplayer games that spawned with the Day Z mod there's no complete game that represents this genre right now and all the cool kids wanna be a part of it. I've watched at least 3 day Z standalone streams and there's nothing to do in the game except be robbed right now. RUST looks a little better but not by much really. I think the only EA game I have is Contagion which I won, RUST actually looks kind of interesting but I'd rather wait. 

Lots of people say the developers will just run away with the money now that they sold a million units. I don't know where the hell that reasoning comes from. This would ruin their industry credibility and likely be grounds for a mass refund. The games don't have to, and won't, finish tomorrow either just because there's even more capital to pump in now but to suggest a game that is at a stage of development RUST or Day Z are, is not going to be completed because people paid early sounds to me a bit ludicrous when that would ruin their careers when those guys are tied to publishers, steam and etc. Not to mention they could get majorly sued if they blatantly ran. It's kind of a worry for smaller titles or indie devs with no one to answer to I suppose, but those are not the games making the big bucks.

Why are people slamming Kickstarter? There are many successful already released projects with many high profile games still to come out and I've only heard about one scam so far which was from some random indie developer with no background.

EA is fine, there are disclaimers and there's a HOST of information one could gather about the games from youtube and many coverage sites, these games are not under NDA. People know what they're getting into and if they don't it's their fault, buyer beware is a thing and Steam is just a shop. EA and Greenlight were a product of people's outrage at indies not getting into Steam now people are outraged those games are getting in. I don't see the problem whe no one's forcing anybody to spend a dime on them. 

Do you really think what's on the front page affect people that much? It shouldn't. EA games are making loads of dollars because two of the most prominent are the "new genre" of survival whatever multiplayer games that spawned with the Day Z mod there's no complete game that represents this genre right now and all the cool kids wanna be a part of it. I've watched at least 3 day Z standalone streams and there's nothing to do in the game except be robbed right now. RUST looks a little better but not by much really. I think the only EA game I have is Contagion which I won, RUST actually looks kind of interesting but I'd rather wait. 

Lots of people say the developers will just run away with the money now that they sold a million units. I don't know where the hell that reasoning comes from. This would ruin their industry credibility and likely be grounds for a mass refund. The games don't have to, and won't, finish tomorrow either just because there's even more capital to pump in now but to suggest a game that is at a stage of development RUST or Day Z are, is not going to be completed because people paid early sounds to me a bit ludicrous when that would ruin their careers when those guys are tied to publishers, steam and etc. Not to mention they could get majorly sued if they blatantly ran. It's kind of a worry for smaller titles or indie devs with no one to answer to I suppose, but those are not the games making the big bucks.

Rust is really fun but just like every other survival game people are going to kill you pretty much on sight. Me and my cousins enjoy doing it in style like giving someone a pistol with 3 shots in it and forcing them to kill their friend only to be shot  or lead a horde of zombies to them so they get eaten. It's quiet fun.

im no fan of early access games i guess people want to play a game as its being made and help out a indie dev but i for one wouldnt buy one cause well i want to play a game when its done not when its nowhere near done and plus theres no guarantee it will be good when it is done and i think i may get bored of the game by the time its out

im no fan of early access games i guess people want to play a game as its being made and help out a indie dev but i for one wouldnt buy one cause well i want to play a game when its done not when its nowhere near done and plus theres no guarantee it will be good when it is done and i think i may get bored of the game by the time its out

Again why the hate for EAGs? They're better than funding a kickstarter or pre-order. You not only support the game but also get to play the game as is evolves. When you fund a kickstarter you only have the little trailer that the devs show you and that's it. With a EAG you can see game play and reviews to see if it's worth purchasing and playing and you get to see how the devs handle people playing their game. EAG is the new kickstarter and pre-order.

Again why the hate for EAGs? They're better than funding a kickstarter or pre-order. You not only support the game but also get to play the game as is evolves. When you fund a kickstarter you only have the little trailer that the devs show you and that's it. With a EAG you can see game play and reviews to see if it's worth purchasing and playing and you get to see how the devs handle people playing their game. EAG is the new kickstarter and pre-order.

Well, when it comes to PC games, I don't much care for Kickstarter, Early Access Games, or pre-ordering. I'll wait till after it comes out, see what it's really like, and may even wait a while after the DLC comes out so I can get the bundled game at a lower price, with more content, and the various fixes. For supposedly "complete" games, I don't want be a tester, I just want to play them. With online games I'll also wait till it finishes the creation cycle beta, or at least till it seems largely done, I just don't feel like having to start over, and over in those long time sink games, as they may keep recreating the game over and over at times.

These days companies keep shipping out games earlier, and earlier, and those "help us decide the direction of the game" bits seems like a load of BS often enough anyhow. You look at their forums, and can see thread after thread complaining about the same topic, yet they don't do much if anything about it, or may even make the issue worse. The thing is a company really does need to come in with a good sense what what they want to do, testing to see the response, and making tweeks makes sense, but the idea the player base will help chart the coarse of the game is nuts. I get the feeling some are even purposely extending the creation cycle, and remaking large elements of the game, so people can continue to cling to the hope that what they want changed, will be changed, so keep playing, and paying money in the cash shops they may have. I want to pay for, and play a game, not hope.

Early access games are bad, dont tell me that i am wrong with saying that "i am helping the game creators" is just you are giving your money to an uncomplete game that connot be judge because is "in early access". They are using you as beta testers that normally was free, is not playing the game early, is wasting your money. But dont confuse that with kickstarter games that is something totally different in wich you are really helping. For example if EA put in distribution Battlefield 5 saying that is in early access they can avoid all critics just telling them the game is unfinish and is on progress. stop this now or later it will became a rule for companys.

Early access games are bad, dont tell me that i am wrong with saying that "i am helping the game creators" is just you are giving your money to an uncomplete game that connot be judge because is "in early access". They are using you as beta testers that normally was free, is not playing the game early, is wasting your money. But dont confuse that with kickstarter games that is something totally different in wich you are really helping. For example if EA put in distribution Battlefield 5 saying that is in early access they can avoid all critics just telling them the game is unfinish and is on progress. stop this now or later it will became a rule for companys.

It is the same as kickstarting. You are supporting the game in the same way the only difference is that promised beta access you get from backing the game? Yea you get it right now and normally at a cheaper price. Most of the time kickstarter beta/alpha testing costs about $10 extra. With early access games you get to play the game and help the developer. It's the same as kickstarting the game and waiting for your alpha/beta key from the dev. There is no difference and in fact this saves you more money. If you like what the developer is saying in a kickstarter page you'll back it. If the game turns out shit you lose all the money you get and you might have invested in the $100 or more tier. With early access games you get to see some gameplay online and reviews. No one is saying you can't criticize a early access game. The only people saying that are the devs, but that doesn't stop everyone from reviewing them. Look at youtube and websites like Eurogamer, ign and other websites. They're doing full reviews/updates on early access games. This is a better way to save money. It pushes the developers to make a decently working or nearly fully working game in early access. 

It is the same as kickstarting. You are supporting the game in the same way the only difference is that promised beta access you get from backing the game? Yea you get it right now and normally at a cheaper price. Most of the time kickstarter beta/alpha testing costs about $10 extra. With early access games you get to play the game and help the developer. It's the same as kickstarting the game and waiting for your alpha/beta key from the dev. There is no difference and in fact this saves you more money. If you like what the developer is saying in a kickstarter page you'll back it. If the game turns out shit you lose all the money you get and you might have invested in the $100 or more tier. With early access games you get to see some gameplay online and reviews. No one is saying you can't criticize a early access game. The only people saying that are the devs, but that doesn't stop everyone from reviewing them. Look at youtube and websites like Eurogamer, ign and other websites. They're doing full reviews/updates on early access games. This is a better way to save money. It pushes the developers to make a decently working or nearly fully working game in early access. 

Stop claiming it's the same as kickstarting.  It's not the same.  With Kickstarter they have to have a plan and a funding goal, and the project doesn't start if they don't hit that goal.  If they don't get funding the game doesn't get made.  It is a different animal from Early Access and Pre-ordering.