• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaz32

What kinds of things in games scares you?

42 posts in this topic

Now there's a lot of discussions about what horror games you played that are the best, but sometimes even the best of horror games cannot scare a person because they're immune to the scares of the game. I figure hey, why not just lay on the table what kind of things in games that scares you effectively? That way we can know what makes you get scared and maybe we can find a great game for you to make you unable to sleep, still thinking about the horror that you have just witnessed. Or Just so that we know what scares you. You can say which games has the examples of things that scares you.

I am scared of several things in a game:

1) Slimy enemies. Like that Komodo Dragon in Far Cry 3 and that slimy regenerative monster from RE6 called the Rasklapanje or something. I freaking ran away from my desk once those things sneak up on me and attack me from behind. I fucking hate those things.

2) Creepy long haired girl enemies. You know, like the one on movies like The Ring and the Grudge. Or from games, Alma from Fear 1, especially when she crawls on you with the speed of lightning. Or even from Cry of Fear, where there's a ton of them there. In fact I'm in this section of the game in the forest right now where there's long haired girls running at me with knifes, and I can't continue the game for now. Too freaking scared to face those. Extra points if they have bloody white clothes and their hairs covered their faces completely.

3) any situation in a game where you can die if you get attacked once and you have to eliminate 20+ enemies at once and you have no freaking idea where they are. Rainbow Six Vegas 2's Lone Wolf mode got me with this, not 1 for some reason. I guess it's because in 2 the enemies are even more agressive and can attack you anywhere, so you have to be on guard. I can't tell you how many times I peeked into a corner while my heart beats like crazy because I'm worried if there's an enemy behind or in front of me, and they can kill me with 1 shot.

4) well executed jump scares, combined with enemies from 1 and 2. I can handle jump scares ok if they have generic looking enemies, but if the jump scare has long haired girls and slimy enemies? I will shut the game off before I continue the game.

Large enemy shooting galleries. As much as I love Uncharted 1 and 2 (still need to play 3) those games get insanely scary with how many guys you need to take out before you can even leave an area.

Suiciders. Enemies who jobs it is to run up to you and blow up in your face. If you haven't got enough room to run away and take 'em down then you're fucked.

Big Shield Wielders: These guys are always insufferable. Before you can do anything to kill them you have to take out their shield which, unsurprisingly, takes a ton of damage. So now you have to run around in circles hoping to get behind the sonofabitch or wait for him to lift his shield and take damage from his gun/sword/etc. so you can attack as well or pray to god you have a weapon that can destroy said shield before he can do anything!

Spykidd7 likes this

1) I think that tight environments with little room for maneuverability are key to building up tension. If i have a lot of room to run around in then i tend not to feel so hectic and tense.

2) The soundtrack for a horror game seems to either make or break several of the key moments. I loved the old Resident Evils for their scores which i thought were so well done. Add in to this, is well executed moments of silence. Theres nothing quite like hearing footsteps from an unknown source that isn't visible.

3) Jump scares seem to be hit or miss. If they're well executed they're great for making you jump and fling the controller across the room. If not, then they're laughable.

4) In most games, I find that having little ammo and difficulty find more make the player feel more vulnerable and certainly bring up the desperation factor.

5) This ones more of a tech thing, but remember back when games had save points? Those were a nightmare, freaking out and trying not to die just to make it to the next glowing portal, typewriter, or red paper thing. This we probably won't see again due to constant checkpoints and autosaves.

6) Lastly, I tend to be more scared when the game gives you a sense of confusion and expectancy where you aren't sure where to go or what will be coming. Certainly not in some cheap way where the game doesn't tell you what to do, but I like to explore not know whats coming around the corner.

The clickers and the tank (forget their actual name) in the last of us! when they catch you or you turn a corner and they grab you scares the shit out of me!

Also zombie dogs in resident evil

Anything that has something to do with little screaming girls. I still dread that point of game in Prey.

This doesn't bother me so much, but A LOT of people have a problem with going in or near water in video games. This includes my girlfriend x.x

Me on the other hand, i hate being in a tight area only to take a really sharp turn. 

Even in games where it isn't a horror game or something, it still bothers me a lot

find an old game "obscure" for the ps2, play the first 3 minutes, (rest of the game isnt bad) and tell me honestly you dont crap yourself. thats the kind of horror i like.

Kaz32 likes this

Some of the scariest things for me in games are the feeling of isolation, being alone, and sudden jumpscares. Those are the types of things that dead space did very well. It's really weird that stuff scares me in games, but not in life. Who knows? But I thought that The Last of Us did that well too. (The feeling of isolation, not the jumpscares.)

I'd like to start by saying I'm an avid horror game player. Love them to death, one of my favourite genres.

That said, i honestly don't know what scares me in horror games. I've never been psychologically scarred by any horror game. 

However, I've always been scared in games of the feeling you're being watched, or chased, especially in a dark area. This is why SCP: Containment Breach is one of my favourite horror titles. Those of you who've it and have been in the maintenance tunnels know what I'm talking about. Also, SCP-096 scared the hell out of me too.

I'm looking forward to "The Forest" on Steam to give me more of these creepy scares ;D

Bugs....

"Shoot a nuke down a bug hole, you got a lot of dead bugs"

find an old game "obscure" for the ps2, play the first 3 minutes, (rest of the game isnt bad) and tell me honestly you dont crap yourself. thats the kind of horror i like.

Meh, that 3 minutes part is ok. I want to rescue that drug addict guy but it's too bad he died.

That game's underrated. I want to play that game again. Thanks for mentioning it man, now I have something else to play!

Resident Evil 2 in the police station. Apart from the general scary environment, the part where you go into the interrogation room made me shit bricks (if you've played it you know what I am talking about).

FIghting satan in resistance 3 ( I did this a couple days ago). This damn monster is something the local survivors there who are crazy religous call satan and he has tentacles and lives in underground mines. WE HAVE TO KILL IT. aw fuck no. I tlike chases you through the mine and stuff. >.<

%22Satan%22_-_Resistance_3.png

Pre Amnesia, all i really got were jump scares, but no lasting impressions, and I think i know why, but I'll get back to that.
Post Amnesia, I think I'm traumatized. I managed to soldier my way through Amnesia, and Justine, a few times even. And a few custom stories. I bought Outlast a few weeks ago, and I've barely clocked an hour in it, not due to a lack of interest, but holy duck fuck is that game scary.
I think the key to fear in games, is a mix of the dangers you encounter, and your means to defend yourself. In Doom, or Silent Hill, it doesn't really matter what comes after you out of the dark, you can still shoot it, repeatedly, in the head, and kill it. In Amnesia, and Outlast, you've got nothing except your wits to flee from dangers, and that's what really gets to me, among other things. A little detail like weapons really changes a game completely.
I also have to mention atmosphere and immersion, something the Amnesia series have really nailed. Under the right circumstances, you can really get caught in the game world, and feel almost as terrified, as if you were actually there.

On a personal note, things that really get to me are unnatural things. In Outlast for example, minor Spoilers for early game coming up:

After the big inmate tosses you into the lobby, and the Priest guy talks to you, there is a hallway nearby, where there's an inmate sitting in a wheelchair, and he's visibly scarred or deformed terribly, but wide awake and aware. You can't interact with him, but his looks and behavior really freaked me the hell out.

Mighty Falcon likes this

Atmosphere that really does a good job of making me scared so does jump scares when timed right and unbeatable enemies all three of those do a good job of svaring the shit out of me.

Pre Amnesia, all i really got were jump scares, but no lasting impressions, and I think i know why, but I'll get back to that.

Post Amnesia, I think I'm traumatized. I managed to soldier my way through Amnesia, and Justine, a few times even. And a few custom stories. I bought Outlast a few weeks ago, and I've barely clocked an hour in it, not due to a lack of interest, but holy duck fuck is that game scary.

I think the key to fear in games, is a mix of the dangers you encounter, and your means to defend yourself. In Doom, or Silent Hill, it doesn't really matter what comes after you out of the dark, you can still shoot it, repeatedly, in the head, and kill it. In Amnesia, and Outlast, you've got nothing except your wits to flee from dangers, and that's what really gets to me, among other things. A little detail like weapons really changes a game completely.

I also have to mention atmosphere and immersion, something the Amnesia series have really nailed. Under the right circumstances, you can really get caught in the game world, and feel almost as terrified, as if you were actually there.

On a personal note, things that really get to me are unnatural things. In Outlast for example, minor Spoilers for early game coming up:

After the big inmate tosses you into the lobby, and the Priest guy talks to you, there is a hallway nearby, where there's an inmate sitting in a wheelchair, and he's visibly scarred or deformed terribly, but wide awake and aware. You can't interact with him, but his looks and behavior really freaked me the hell out.

I like Outlast. I don't find it scary, but it's awesome just running away from crazy enemies and hiding from them. The controls and the atmosphere makes the game great, and the story of the game is surprisingly epic too. Goes to show that even without being able to attack, a game can be great.

For me the key of being afraid in games is not having no weapons and the only thing you can do is run away. That's one of the things that makes a tension in games but it's annoying when most horror games now are doing it. I think the key to fear in games is when you have weapons, but you don't want to fight enemies with it and you rather just run the hell away as far as possible from the enemies you face. Like the game Cry of Fear that I am now stuck in. I already mentioned number 1 to 4 of what scares me, and this game has number 2 to 4 that really got to me. Even though I have a machine gun, pistol and a shotgun, I don't want to fight those enemies. I rather run the hell away or shut my game down.

1. Bugs/ glitchs

2. Suicide units + Mass suicide units. Example Mass banelings in star craft 2

3. Horror games that have your mind mess with you to scare you

4. Boss battles in which you cant heal. Though in all honesty those are so much fun as well :3

5. And finally attacks from players or mobs that instant kill you.  *shivers* 

For me the key of being afraid in games is not having no weapons and the only thing you can do is run away. That's one of the things that makes a tension in games but it's annoying when most horror games now are doing it.

I agree that It's getting far too common with the survival horror genre, because Amnesia did it and was so successful with it. If done right, like Amnesia, It works to a games advantage, but with Outlast for example, I don't see why the journalist brave enough to not get the fuck out of an Insane Asylum, wouldn't be able to pick up a steel rod, or a book or something.

Also, while this may be overdone, or risk being overdone nowadays, keep in mind that before Amnesia, all survival horror games let you have weapons. It may get overdone, but It's still a change.

I think the key to fear in games is when you have weapons, but you don't want to fight enemies with it and you rather just run the hell away as far as possible from the enemies you face. Like the game Cry of Fear that I am now stuck in. I already mentioned number 1 to 4 of what scares me, and this game has number 2 to 4 that really got to me. Even though I have a machine gun, pistol and a shotgun, I don't want to fight those enemies. I rather run the hell away or shut my game down.

I'm not totally following you on this. I think there are times when avoiding fights are important, but if given the chance, why don't you want to kill monsters?

I'm not totally following you on this. I think there are times when avoiding fights are important, but if given the chance, why don't you want to kill monsters?

I'm saying I think terror is more effective if you have a weapon that you can use to kill an enemy, but the enemy scares you to death so much that you can't think straight and the first thing you do when you see them is run the hell away. You can kill them like normal, but you have to conquer the fear of looking at them first before you are brave enough to kill them. That's horror for me.

You know what, play Cry of Fear and you'll know what I mean. It's a free game on steam based on the Half Life 1 mod.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223710/

But maybe that's just me that's affected by this game. You may have a different reaction. It depends on personal preferences in the end.

I'm saying I think terror is more effective if you have a weapon that you can use to kill an enemy, but the enemy scares you to death so much that you can't think straight and the first thing you do when you see them is run the hell away. You can kill them like normal, but you have to conquer the fear of looking at them first before you are brave enough to kill them. That's horror for me.

You know what, play Cry of Fear and you'll know what I mean. It's a free game on steam based on the Half Life 1 mod.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223710/

But maybe that's just me that's affected by this game. You may have a different reaction. It depends on personal preferences in the end.

I have played it, scary enemies sure, but I still wanted to stab them all.

I have played it, scary enemies sure, but I still wanted to stab them all.

There you go. You're not affected because your personal preference is different. Have you passed the one where you are in the forest and you have to get through a chainsaw maniac chasing you? I'm in that section right now.