• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Aéro

Final Fantasy Crisis

22 posts in this topic

As we all know the past Final Fantasy games have made many missteps and few steps forward, and Final Fantasy is circling down the whole.  People would argue it started with FF8, others say FFX.  Where do you think it started and what can be done to bring back the glory of the classic and timeless Final Fantasies in the new era? 

It started with FF7. 7 was good. Perhaps too good. So to me, it seems like Square is trying to get another FF7.

But honestly, FF was always a roller coaster. Peaked at 7 so far to me (I don't count the mmos).

Hopefully, FF13RoL and FF15 will be their step in the right direction. Hopefully, it will also not be too late.

As far as I've read and seen... RoL seems pretty good.

If everything ends up honkey dorrey... Square could go back to their roots (3,4,5,6, maybe 1) and modernize the feel and art of those games and just try to be original. Or at the very least make original characters and give the game solid gameplay that doesn't involve TURN BASED mechanics.

Or they can just fuck all that and give me Parasite Eve remake or sequel.

it was 8 for me

loved X and X-2 

but after that .........EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Hmm Final Fantasy 6 will always be the best one for me and the bad games started after FF9. I think they are just waiting until sales get so low they will remake FF6-7 to make up loss profit(i mean cmon people have been asking for a remake of FF7 for years now) and the longer they wait the better the sales will be for the remakes(the consoles will be better).

Hmm Final Fantasy 6 will always be the best one for me and the bad games started after FF9. I think they are just waiting until sales get so low they will remake FF6-7 to make up loss profit(i mean cmon people have been asking for a remake of FF7 for years now) and the longer they wait the better the sales will be for the remakes(the consoles will be better).

The reason Square Enix aren't making a FF7 remake is because they think it's pointless and to be honest, I agree 100% with them.  I they do a full AAA console remake of any FF game It would make much more sense to do the one of the older ones that never got an initial release in the west like 2,3 or 4.

In the case of 7 I think the Idea is a waste and here's why:

1.  The vast majority of core gamers, even among those who haven't played it know the story already.

2.  The next-gen look and design of the world and characters has already been displayed in Advent Children, so no mystery there.

3.  The gameplay would have go through some changes and updates, which the fanbase would inevitably complain about.  If they left all the mechanics the same the fanbase would still complain saying "What was the point in me buying this if everything's the same?".  Basically the fans would never be happy no matter what Square Enix does with it.

4.  Not only is the original game widely available on the second hand market and playable on the PS One and the back compatible PS2 but it's also available on PSP, Vita, PS3, PS Mobile and I reckon the PS4 via Gaiki before to long.  Put it simply you play the on every platform that Sony has ever produced, so why not just do that?

When you consider all this the idea of Square Enix spending 10's of millions of dollars and years of hard work on something like this is ludicrous.  I'm not saying the investment wouldn't pay of eventually (at least financially) but It would mean putting Final Fantasy XV and most likely a couple of other projects on hold again and I'm sorry, but it's just not worth it.  

I loved 7, 8 and 9. Hated 10. Never played 11 the MMO. Really enjoyed 12 and disliked 13 and 14 the MMO take 2.

So Final Fantasy is a bit hit and miss for me. 

I would say that it started with FFX, I liked it, but I think that is where it started big time.  I hate every single one after that, especially 13 and I DO NOT want to talk about 14 when it first came out.

I actually like FF 13, I never played any of the older ff's tho'

Maybe I should give it a try, I bought the FF7 re-release on steam 1 month ago and it has been collecting dust in my library ever since...

All I've played is 7, 8 and Tactics Advance. Couldn't get myself into playing 6. Just didn't appeal to me.

As for when it started; I'd say it started right after 7, could as well say with 8. Since 7 was so critically acclaimed from both, reviewers and players themselves, everyone had their hopes up for the next ones. And when the next one isn't the same or something the "fans" want, it's deemed unworthy. In that sense, I'd say it's the people themselves that have too high hopes for every next game, thinking that it's their opinion that matters the most and when the devs try to make something new and improved or just simply original to the series, there's a huge outcry "oooh, it sucks! 7 was better! That was better, this was better!" etc. One of the higher seated guys from Squeenix already mentioned that (this is more on the matter of remaking 7) they're trying to make a similar experience or even better than 7 which basically means they're admitting that their latest titles haven't been so great. And I don't think there's a crisis of any sorts, they're just trying to find the right vibe for the game, so we just have to wait and see what they'll deliver.

As for mmo's. Well, I honestly could care less any mmo other than wow (most played and the easiest to get in to right now), but that's just a personal preference.

Also, I want more of Final Fantasy on my pc! Having just 7, 8 and emulated ones isn't enough for me! :D

Sane people reading this, please, disregard the OP and previous posters. Clearly, they are disgruntled costumers that are unhappy because SE would not replace their FF discs that they themselves scratched. I assure you, incredibly attractive and smart person (yes you), there is no such thing as an FF crisis and everything above is pure lies. Please, proceed to your nearest store or video game distribution website and buy or keep buying Final Fantasy games as normal. Im an authority here and I assure you again, all above posters are spewing baseless statements.

Sol Omega likes this

Is it bad that the only one I played, and relatively enjoyed to boot, was FF7: Dirge of Cerberus?

Sane people reading this, please, disregard the OP and previous posters. Clearly, they are disgruntled costumers that are unhappy because SE would not replace their FF discs that they themselves scratched. I assure you, incredibly attractive and smart person (yes you), there is no such thing as an FF crisis and everything above is pure lies. Please, proceed to your nearest store or video game distribution website and buy or keep buying Final Fantasy games as normal. Im an authority here and I assure you again, all above posters are spewing baseless statements.

I'm a massive fan of the FF series and im sorry but at 10-2 they lost it. Everything from that point on has been shit and me being a fool has played nearly everyone except for online. So please distributer if you're reading this. Be careful of this series.

It started to go a bit downhill at 10 for me. I mean it was fine but it felt like a hallway and I really didn't care for much for the characters. 10-2 was just a fan-service piece of crap and at that point Final Fantasy was in a bad way in my eyes. The release of a damn mmo, my most hated genre, drove it deeper into the bowels Hell. I thought 12 might save it but that combat system... I don't want the characters to move around, there I said it. I like the old stationary turn based/ATB systems and I won't care about another Final Fantasy until that makes a return. My brother gave me 13 as a Christmas present one year and I just can't play it. The game wants to play itself and make me switch the characters roles, no thanks. In short, yeah I believe it's in a crisis (Akira Toriyama needs to be removed immediately) and I won't look forward to future releases from the franchise. I'll play Persona instead, it's filled my JRPG void even though it's pretty niche. 

For me, it started with X-2. I was ok with X despite Titus being an annoying, everything else was mostly tolerable, but X-2 was just...WTF. I didn't play the MMOs so 12 came next and it was...Stars Wars meets Final Fantasy meets Judge Dredd. Seriously, one of the characters is a Judge, framed by a brother and sent to the desert and even spouted about the LAW.

I liked the PSP Crisis Core FFVII but I think they've lost their direction

I'm a massive fan of the FF series and im sorry but at 10-2 they lost it. Everything from that point on has been shit and me being a fool has played nearly everyone except for online. So please distributer if you're reading this. Be careful of this series.

Liars! Youre all with OP, brought here to deceive me. You will not turn me, stop trying to do it, I see through all the lies. No, all of you have allowed this, OP and "FF crisis" to twist your minds until now, you have betrayed the very games you swore to love forever. FF has brought quality, innovation, freedom, amazing visuals and music and its a driving force in this industry. Stop, stop now and come back, I love all of you!

Head to the SE store and buy your collectors edition copy of Lightning Returns while you still can!

http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/DisplayHomePage

Liars! Youre all with OP, brought here to deceive me. You will not turn me, stop trying to do it, I see through all the lies. No, all of you have allowed this, OP and "FF crisis" to twist your minds until now, you have betrayed the very games you swore to love forever. FF has brought quality, innovation, freedom, amazing visuals and music and its a driving force in this industry. Stop, stop now and come back, I love all of you!

Head to the SE store and buy your collectors edition copy of Lightning Returns while you still can!

http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/DisplayHomePage

stop trolling

Until FFX which is my #1 FF.

There was an interview if they'll ever make FF 7 remake and they refused right on the spot.  According to the interview, making FF7 will kill the FF franchise unless they have something better then FF7.  I agree with this statement but it's already a dying beast... FF XV looks more action oriented but will hold my jugement until I play the game....   Honestly, the downfall started when Square and Enix joined together...they used to be 2 great warriors who combatted each other..now they joined..got fat and old

I started with the NES original and I feel it peaked with 9, 10 was OK but 10-2 was unacceptable fanservice pandering.

I have play all of them except 12 and 13 atm, but i feel that 1-10 were all good. I will receive for this but i thought 7 was mediocre and overrated. so if I had to one of them 7 was the down fall of Final Fantasy series.

I've played them all.  Yes. ALL (including the MMOS). Every single game with final fantasy in the title is sitting on my game shelf.  I used to be an unapologetic FF fan. The series started it's major decline with FF8 but in my opinion, didn't truly die till FF10.  FF10 to me is absolute garbage. FF13 in my opinion, is beyond garbage... it's a mockery, a spit in the face, an insult. 

To me, it felt as though 10 and every game proceeding it, was just a very sad attempt to get girls to play video games. The stories were half-assed written.. made little to no sense and the characters were / are bland, stereotypical non-evolving annoying versions of every Slice-of-Life character in anime ever written. 

They were tailored for a very specific audience in Japan, an audience that didn't include previous fans of the series.

At this point, I only continue to buy the games out of sheer habit and some sad inability to accept the reality of the dead series as it is. It's like there is still hope somewhere inside me that SE might realize what large douches they've been and finally get the next one right. 

Yeah.. not going to happen but one can dream. 

What could they do to make the newer ones better??  Fire people, starting with Daisuke Watanabe & Motomu Toriyama. 

Yoshinori Kitase needs to direct again and stop being producer.. he SUCKS at producing. 

The ONLY thing they're able to get even remotely correct is the graphics... But let's face it, graphics is hardly half of a game these days.
(besides... there is only so much you can do with retexturing wireframes with real skin texture before it just starts to look odd) 

As someone already stated, FF has always been a roller coaster. The first I ever strongly disliked (story wise) was IV. I love the characters and the plot, but after it gets to a certain turning point (that of which I will not spoil, but I am sure most of you know precisely the moment I speak of) that was when I felt the writing went right out the window. Mind you, aside from the third act of IV (can something so long have a mere 3 acts?), I love the rest of it.

V brought the focus back, and I loved Exdeath. 6 and 7 are equals in excellence, definitely the peak of the main numbered titles. And then, as you mentioned... 8 happened. No, wait. 8 didn't just "happen", it had actually "happened to us." No amount of time has healed the wounds of that game. I went back to it recently and dislike it just as much as I did when I was 13. 9 was killer, loved it. Then X kinda just happened to us. Again. granted, I will always defend X's combat as being fantastic. Because it is. Also Animus was fucking awesome. Oh, and the obligatory blah blah Auron is super cool etc etc.

The last main numbered FF I actually loved was 12. I loved the gambit system, the characters (even the hollow exposition shells that went by the names of Vaan and Panelo). The world of Ivalice was realized to such an astounding extent, yadda yadda yadda I could go on for days about it.

Now, actually getting to  my point (I apologize it took me so long) 13 is fucking awful. Undoubtedly the worst we have ever endured. But, that being said, that hasn't axed my expectance of a great FF to exist ever again. Because, well, this shit's been "happening to us" for so long now. I cautiously anticipate XV.

Oh, and Tactics is the greatest FF ever.

TL;DR - LOVE IS A ROLLER COASTER AND MATSUNO IS THE MASTER OF VIDYA GAEMS 

Sol Omega likes this