• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Lord Baldur

Steam gained 10 million active customers

37 posts in this topic

So this is slightly old news like a day old, but the number of users who are active on Steam went up by 10 million users since October. In contrast, the Xbox One sold 3 million systems while the PS4 sold 4.3 million systems since their release back in November. So this is an interesting development as PC gaming becomes more popular as time goes by.

http://www.examiner.com/article/valve-announces-10-million-more-steam-users-since-october-up-15-percent

Opinions?

[edit] - Since I am getting uninformed people replying to this, then let me clarify something. The number of people counted are active users. Meaning they have to have an account that isn't banned and it has to have games under the account which they purchased.

Judge Lazar and Gone too like this

Count me among them. 

Not really surprised to see the huge rise given the BS between both consoles. 

Was a  Xbox fan for a long time As soon as they released the bullsh*t  Xbox one Turned back to my pc spent 2500£ upgrading it never looked back..corporation_pc_gaming_master_race_gabe_n

GodPlzStopMe likes this

Proud 2007 user here.

Not sure how much of that is because of consoles sucking though, dota 2 is really popular these days and wasn't it finally released to the public this last year?

Proud 2007 user here.

Not sure how much of that is because of consoles sucking though, dota 2 is really popular these days and wasn't it finally released to the public this last year?

Sucking is relative. Looking at an Xbox One and a PS4, there is very little to complain about. However with Steam, you can buy games on Steam for a lot cheaper than buying a used console game and reselling it.

The question is: How many of these accounts are alt accounts.

There are a lot of people who make accounts just for Dota 2 or TF2. Then there might be people who get banned for hacking or something else. Comparing the amount of units sold, with the amount of people who have joined to FREE application, is not the most sensible idea. Steam has free games that will work on surprisingly weak PCs, while X1 and PS4 has few free games. I don't think that anyone who would buy PS4 or X1 wouldn't already have some kind of PC.

You can see on Steam's daily user curve that the peak isn't really that huge, so I bet most of these accounts are just alt accounts. A year ago the peak was 5.7 million users, so the growth has been roughly 600k on the peak. We could also ask, what does ''active user'' mean for Steam. A person who have once played a F2P game? A person who logs in once every few months?

The question is: How many of these accounts are alt accounts.

There are a lot of people who make accounts just for Dota 2 or TF2. Then there might be people who get banned for hacking or something else. Comparing the amount of units sold, with the amount of people who have joined to FREE application, is not the most sensible idea. Steam has free games that will work on surprisingly weak PCs, while X1 and PS4 has few free games. I don't think that anyone who would buy PS4 or X1 wouldn't already have some kind of PC.

You can see on Steam's daily user curve that the peak isn't really that huge, so I bet most of these accounts are just alt accounts. A year ago the peak was 5.7 million users, so the growth has been roughly 600k on the peak. We could also ask, what does ''active user'' mean for Steam. A person who have once played a F2P game? A person who logs in once every few months?

The accounts counted were active accounts. Meaning that they had to be unbanned and had to purchase games from Steam itself. As for the people who use Steam, there are people who have steam and use it on weak PC's. That doesn't mean they are the majority. If you take a look at the top selling Steam Games, they are games such as DayZ, Darksiders, Company of Heroes 2, The Darkness, The Next Car game, Saints Row IV, The low-demand games like Banner Saga and Rust are really the odd ones out.

Gone too likes this

I see valve turning this into some sort of stabbing at Sony and Microsoft and the really stupid PC Gamers (Also known as "The Master Race") buying into it, saying something like, "We outsold the XB1 and PS4, ha ah!" No, you didn't.

Signing up for a free to use e-shop/streaming service for PC gaming and buying a few games is not the same thing as buying a new gaming system. It's like recently Gabe Newell saying, "XB1 sold 3 million units. They've got some catching up to do, we've sold 65 million." Even the most avid PC gamer needs only a brain larger than an orange to see how ignorant and stupid that is.

I see the benefits of steam, but I don't fully trust it. I just like knowing my investments in games are safe and on steam I'd be worried every day that if Valve decide to shut steam down (And they will do someday), that I'd loose my gaming library.

Congrats to valve on their success and I don't mean insult anyone, I just wanted to share my thoughts and why I'm not quite buying to the steam hype yet. I do have a steam account, but I've it to brouse and not much else so far.

I see valve turning this into some sort of stabbing at Sony and Microsoft and the really stupid PC Gamers (Also known as "The Master Race") buying into it, saying something like, "We outsold the XB1 and PS4, ha ah!" No, you didn't. Signing up for a free to use e-shop/streaming service for PC gaming and buying a few games is not the same thing as buying a new gaming system. It's like recently Gabe Newell saying, "XB1 sold 3 million units. They've got some catching up to do, we've sold 65 million." Even the most avid PC gamer needs only a brain larger than an orange to see how ignorant and stupid that is. I see the benefits of steam, but I don't fully trust it. I just like knowing my investments in games are safe and on steam I'd be worried every day that if Valve decide to shut steam down (And they will do someday), that I'd loose my gaming library. Congrats to valve on their success and I don't mean insult anyone, I just wanted to share my thoughts and why I'm not quite buying to the steam hype yet. I do have a steam account, but I've it to brouse and not much else so far.

All this PC master race crap I tend to see everywhere is so ironically hilarious to considering its the exact same thing they were responding to.

"Xbox beats playstation" "playstation beats Xbone" "PC MASTA RACE BICHES" yeah.... I'm definitely seeing the difference here.

But anyway right on that Steam business like LoL having more players than WoW you cant really compare the success to something you have to pay out the nose for to something that's free.

I see valve turning this into some sort of stabbing at Sony and Microsoft and the really stupid PC Gamers (Also known as "The Master Race") buying into it, saying something like, "We outsold the XB1 and PS4, ha ah!" No, you didn't. Signing up for a free to use e-shop/streaming service for PC gaming and buying a few games is not the same thing as buying a new gaming system. It's like recently Gabe Newell saying, "XB1 sold 3 million units. They've got some catching up to do, we've sold 65 million." Even the most avid PC gamer needs only a brain larger than an orange to see how ignorant and stupid that is. I see the benefits of steam, but I don't fully trust it. I just like knowing my investments in games are safe and on steam I'd be worried every day that if Valve decide to shut steam down (And they will do someday), that I'd loose my gaming library. Congrats to valve on their success and I don't mean insult anyone, I just wanted to share my thoughts and why I'm not quite buying to the steam hype yet. I do have a steam account, but I've it to brouse and not much else so far.

Whether you like Steam or not, the numbers don't lie. As I said before, these are active accounts with game purchases. More so, the top selling games require a PC that exceeds the performance of a normal PC. And if you PC game, then it's going to be extremely difficult to avoid Steam. Meaning that these new people aren't just new to PC gaming, they also dedicated enough money to get a gaming PC to play these high performance games in numbers that exceeds console sales.

<< has 5 ACTIVE steam accounts (1 main one for gaming, one for MMO`s that i dont share that ID outside of a small group (you defeat enough peoples hopes and dreams or farm enough tears you get the kind of attention you dont want following you around to the majority of your other game community`s) and the other 3 have games like eve for subs and bonus`s and the like in addition to having eve and similar games on the others too).

Some games only allow 1 special purchase per steam account yet the game allows multiple accounts (like EVE) so i find it better to have several accounts.

I dont doubt at least 98% of those are individuals so the numbers are still great for PC gaming.

For me steams just like emails and skype, i have ones that are for gaming, ones for private groups and ones just for spares.

Also i doubt every person buying the games on steam actually has the hardware to run them (the bigger titles) efficiently, a lot of steam forums have many a complaint about low frames or not running, usually due to being too low end on the specs for the game to run properly if at all.

<< has 5 ACTIVE steam accounts (1 main one for gaming, one for MMO`s that i dont share that ID outside of a small group (you defeat enough peoples hopes and dreams or farm enough tears you get the kind of attention you dont want following you around to the majority of your other game community`s) and the other 3 have games like eve for subs and bonus`s and the like in addition to having eve and similar games on the others too).

Some games only allow 1 special purchase per steam account yet the game allows multiple accounts (like EVE) so i find it better to have several accounts.

I dont doubt at least 98% of those are individuals so the numbers are still great for PC gaming.

For me steams just like emails and skype, i have ones that are for gaming, ones for private groups and ones just for spares.

Also i doubt every person buying the games on steam actually has the hardware to run them (the bigger titles) efficiently, a lot of steam forums have many a complaint about low frames or not running, usually due to being too low end on the specs for the game to run properly if at all.

I just have a laptop so only old un intensive games run for me.

I just have a laptop so only old un intensive games run for me.

yup same as a lot of folk, my girlfriends the same, she likes to play more basic games so her laptop works out for her quite well not needing the best computer money can buy. Also works out for me, means we can spend more money on the best computer i can buy XD

ofFireandStone likes this

yup same as a lot of folk, my girlfriends the same, she likes to play more basic games so her laptop works out for her quite well not needing the best computer money can buy. Also works out for me, means we can spend more money on the best computer i can buy XD

Aha! Well I find I can occasionally slip a game or two that are more recent in, Dragon Age Origins plays ok as long as I don't floor the settings Inquisition looks like it will probably exceed my specs though.

In terms of FPS I just load up Brutal DooM and I'm good.

I think its a matter to me of why buy two consoles when I can get both games on those consoles on my PC

I think its a matter to me of why buy two consoles when I can get both games on those consoles on my PC

Why would anyone buy two consoles anyway, unless you just HAD to have the exclusive games on both?

Ok before this turns into a massive bitch fest... Consoles are good for the money. PC's are for the better version of the game. Sorted.

And soon they'll count to three too ^^

'Cough* *l4d3* *cough*

That's a misquote and he was joking while also implying that the new consoles don't threaten Steam's position.

Valve will never willingly shut Steam down, it might get sold someday if Valve dies out but it's much more likely to remain as it is. In the event that Valve ever bankrupts Newell has said that he would patch the games to work without the client. We get cd keys for almost every game on Steam anyway and they work with retail versions. But do you know why Steam will never be shutdown? It's profitable, it might change owners but it won't stop existing.

Heinz is from the 19th century, Nintendo as well, Goldman Sachs is from 1869... A lot of businesses and companies have been working for more than 200 years, Hell Beretta started as a gun Manufacturer in the 16th century. There's no logical reason to assume Valve and Steam are destined to die in the near future.

Judge Lazar likes this

Within next 10 years, cloud gaming will be the norm.  You don't need to buy new PC w/ expensive video card or console.  You'll simply pay a streaming gaming service like Playstation Now at a monthly fee or usage fee.  Actually, there is one called OnLive but there's not that many games.   I'm sure you guys will flame for my opinion but this is what'll happen.

<< has 5 ACTIVE steam accounts

Of course you do

Within next 10 years, cloud gaming will be the norm.  You don't need to buy new PC w/ expensive video card or console.  You'll simply pay a streaming gaming service like Playstation Now at a monthly fee or usage fee.  Actually, there is one called OnLive but there's not that many games.   I'm sure you guys will flame for my opinion but this is what'll happen.

Streaming games? That would be believable if the trend in gaming was towards Sony. The leader in gaming is Valve at the moment. Not to mention that in order to stream even a PS3 game, you would have to have an insane internet connection. Internet right now is the slowest component in computers. The video card is the fastest. Streaming has a long way to go before it replaces anything.

Sorry but if you have actually used OnLive you would know it is the worst quality experience ever. Its like watching a video at 480p. No way is cloud gaming going to replace 60fps 1080p ( soon to be 4k) in the near future.

So this is slightly old news like a day old, but the number of users who are active on Steam went up by 10 million users since October. In contrast, the Xbox One sold 3 million systems while the PS4 sold 4.3 million systems since their release back in November. So this is an interesting development as PC gaming becomes more popular as time goes by.

http://www.examiner.com/article/valve-announces-10-million-more-steam-users-since-october-up-15-percent

Opinions?

[edit] - Since I am getting uninformed people replying to this, then let me clarify something. The number of people counted are active users. Meaning they have to have an account that isn't banned and it has to have games under the account which they purchased.

I think the whole "PC gamers are a niche minority" thing has been BS since day one.  I think it just has more to do with the fact that the hardcore console purists just argue their point more loudly because they feel they have something to defend.  While PC gamers know that PC gaming is a cheaper, more rewarding experience.

This image right here says all that needs to be said about the matter.

http://imgur.com/TCRFBGs

Even these "console exclusive" games usually end up on PC after a while and even if they don't it's a matter of installing some software to run them off a PC LEGALLY.  As long as you own a physical iteration of a console and a physical iteration of said game, it is 100% legal to install the console software and to pull the ISO from the game disk and play it on your PC. I found this out a year or so ago while I might have been trying to play FF7 on my PC, and I found that Sony itself offers downloads of the original Playstation 1 software as long as you enter a valid serial number off of a PS1 console. They even make it so you don't have to pull the ISO from the disk, you just pop it in your drive and play. Sure this may require some amount of technical knowledge but it's not as if you need a degree in theoretical quantum string theory rocket science astrophysics to do it.