• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tlbearer

Question...about spoilers?

12 posts in this topic

I love making game reviews but a few days ago my friend told me that any good game review had to have spoilers in it, even that it was expected to have spoilers in it. I don't believe that to be so, I believe that a review can be great without giving away any spoilers. I want to know how the combat is, how the leveling system is, how I upgrade my equipment and a little bit about the game's characters. I don't want a game review to tell me what all happens in a game, or what the end game is, that just makes me not want to play the game. I was just wondering if I'm the only person that feels like this.

Spoil ahead because I don't care!

To me, it's the journey that is the important part, not the ending.

I just spoiled the majority of Snatcher for me today because I have never played it but I watched this 1 hour retrospective-reviewish thing on youtube of it, and that only made me want to play the game more. I don't understand people that throw their hands up in the air and go "I can't play this now because the ending was spoiled!", I mean.. is the ending really the goal for what we play the games for? Because I play for the enjoyment, I play for the experience, I play for escapism and entertainment - And to learn more in regards to different ways of game design and storytelling.

I love making game reviews but a few days ago my friend told me that any good game review had to have spoilers in it, even that it was expected to have spoilers in it. I don't believe that to be so, I believe that a review can be great without giving away any spoilers. I want to know how the combat is, how the leveling system is, how I upgrade my equipment and a little bit about the game's characters. I don't want a game review to tell me what all happens in a game, or what the end game is, that just makes me not want to play the game. I was just wondering if I'm the only person that feels like this.

A good review (of games) focuses on the mechanics of a game, how they work and if they come together into an enjoyable experience NO SPOILERS REGARDING THE STORY ARE NECESARY! Uhhh sry (that's what they named the male gene LOL) about the caps.

Major plot points should never appear in any reviews as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not just talking about end game spoilers, I'm talking about major plot points in the game as well.

my prefered review style in order of what i look for.

requirements

stability

playability (what its released on and drm restrictions)

theme

story

major put offs

major plus`s

personal view

dev history pub history

spoilers are hard to avoid but best to do so if you have to add them i like them at the end so those who dont want them can skip it.

If you are going to do a detailed analysis of a games story then of course you need to have spoilers in it!

If not it is almost entirely unnecessary, although depending on the game minor spoilers might be required.

There is no reason to spoil story in a game review. Game review should focus only partially on story. Telling the plot doesn't mean that you're supposed to give a large amount of the story for the reader, but only a small description of the plot. e.g. For Infinite you should only give the start of the story until the point when Booker will take his first step on Columbia (IMO).

There are certain games that have huge focus on story and environment, and if the person who plays the game doesn't like the story, then it makes the reviewer's job hard. A good example would be Brothers and Gone Home. I personally was disappointed to the story and the story telling even though some people praised it to the heavens, whereas Gone Home really had a lot more interesting way of telling the story even though the story itself wasn't really a masterpiece.

A good reviewer can make a good review without spoiling the story. You can give hints on what you thought about the story, but not anything like ''Oh the main character will die at the end of the game'', but instead ''I found the ending to be shocking''.

There is no reason to spoil story in a game review. Game review should focus only partially on story. Telling the plot doesn't mean that you're supposed to give a large amount of the story for the reader, but only a small description of the plot. e.g. For Infinite you should only give the start of the story until the point when Booker will take his first step on Columbia (IMO).

There are certain games that have huge focus on story and environment, and if the person who plays the game doesn't like the story, then it makes the reviewer's job hard. A good example would be Brothers and Gone Home. I personally was disappointed to the story and the story telling even though some people praised it to the heavens, whereas Gone Home really had a lot more interesting way of telling the story even though the story itself wasn't really a masterpiece.

A good reviewer can make a good review without spoiling the story. You can give hints on what you thought about the story, but not anything like ''Oh the main character will die at the end of the game'', but instead ''I found the ending to be shocking''.

I feel a review should remain centered on the mechanics of a game and how enjoyable those are (obviously you aren't likely to ruin those for people by telling them about it) whereas with a story even if the game focuses on that point telling someone about what happens can easily ruin some of the experience of seeing in the game for many people, this isn't the case for everyone of course but certainly for a great many.

Joe has made great reviews while avoiding spoilers.

As far as I'm concerned you can spoil all you want as long as you give a heads up at the beginning of the video, so that people who dont want spoilers (like me) can stop watching :P

Call me biased, but the only reviews I watch are Joe's. Mostly due to the ensuing hilarity in most of them. If I want something more serious I watch TB's "WTF is..." which aren't reviews, but first impressions which, in my opinion, work better.