• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

RavagerCarnifex

Darius rework?!

15 posts in this topic

"Darius - Reasonably hot. We have a rework that sort of got 90% of the way there. We want to position Darius as a teamfight time bomb (get to max stacks bleed and dunk fools). One of our brilliant interns worked on this last year and RiotScruffy finished it up. It's currently mothballed as we wait for art resources (there are other reworks that are much higher on the list in terms of art). Scruffy himself can probably talk more about this. Personally I enjoyed jungling the new Darius a LOT in our internal playtests."

"We aren't looking to fundamentally change the way Darius plays. Overall we are trying to emphasize and focus on him as a real ramping threat. He builds up a little slower but if he gets rolling, his damage gets pretty insane. And as usual, we are looking for small adjustments to his abilities to increase readability and add more gameplay for opponents."

That's how it is right now with a possible rework for  the dunk master himself, let me know what you think and how you feel.

I personally am in limbo right now due to lack of any kinda details on what he might be like afterwards. I love Darius and i don't hate change but this just makes me feel kinda worried they might just change him completely and just change who he was.
7b0500_4216876.jpg

There is one aspect of this change I like very well and that is the change of focus in his play, and before I run onto the explanation I will set a disclaimer that I am not a regular darius players so some miss information could be included, if so then pardon me. 

Now what I meant with the change of focus is that I have seen as an "outsider" to the champion that it seems he has very good base damages and mediocre scaling making him a good early-mid carry for his team but unable to carry hard lategame. Despite this lack of true carry potentional he still has a ultimate that relies him to outright "killsteal" every kill in teamfights to maximize his damage output in teamfights, I see this as a flawed design and this is where his rework comes into play.

With the rework it seems like they have based on the statement given him weaker base stats but much better scaling, making him a proper snowballer and if his kit stays remotely similar to what it is now that means that him killstealing every kill he participates in becomes less of an issue because his team now know he can properly carry lategame and they are therefore just channeling gold into their carry anyways. 

Other than that there is not much to say until we get more information.

Whenever I played Darius, I didn't have to kill steal to do well with him. His kit just so happens to be when of the best at kill stealing when in a team fight. But I've had a few matches where I out-traded whoever I was Top against which let me farm enough to almost kill at will. However it is very difficult to Top with Darius due to those champs that are just far better early game.

But then again I usually ended up building him tanky and went damage late game. So I kind of took away that kill stealing ability purposely because the damage potential just wasn't there as if someone built full on damage. This change sounds like it may be in favor of my playstyle with Darius...well here's hoping.

There is one aspect of this change I like very well and that is the change of focus in his play, and before I run onto the explanation I will set a disclaimer that I am not a regular darius players so some miss information could be included, if so then pardon me. 

Now what I meant with the change of focus is that I have seen as an "outsider" to the champion that it seems he has very good base damages and mediocre scaling making him a good early-mid carry for his team but unable to carry hard lategame. Despite this lack of true carry potentional he still has a ultimate that relies him to outright "killsteal" every kill in teamfights to maximize his damage output in teamfights, I see this as a flawed design and this is where his rework comes into play.

With the rework it seems like they have based on the statement given him weaker base stats but much better scaling, making him a proper snowballer and if his kit stays remotely similar to what it is now that means that him killstealing every kill he participates in becomes less of an issue because his team now know he can properly carry lategame and they are therefore just channeling gold into their carry anyways. 

Other than that there is not much to say until we get more information.

I call BS on the "not a regular Darius player" because that was down right true. and yes it's true kill stealing is prevalent when team fights come round, but when it gets to then I'm usual fed and no one cares that im just getting bigger.

A Entire Darius re-work would be kind of cool to keep from that, 1v5 status. I honestly would more or less want to see that with a Visual Upgrade. Make him look more like a General/Marauder of Valoran. He seems more of a simple warrior that forged better armor than everyone else....It'd be cool if he had a Symbol of Noxus somewhere within his Torso like a Cloth or something over his shoulder. I know Noxians are more like Rebels so they don't really follow Uniform code. But it would be cool.

A Entire Darius re-work would be kind of cool to keep from that, 1v5 status. I honestly would more or less want to see that with a Visual Upgrade. Make him look more like a General/Marauder of Valoran. He seems more of a simple warrior that forged better armor than everyone else....It'd be cool if he had a Symbol of Noxus somewhere within his Torso like a Cloth or something over his shoulder. I know Noxians are more like Rebels so they don't really follow Uniform code. But it would be cool.

I'd like to see his armor take on a more thorn mail look since thorn mail is a noxian item.

I'd like to see his armor take on a more thorn mail look since thorn mail is a noxian item.

Something he really needs to be honest. The only spikes sadly are on his shoulders. xD

Well I really am not but I have played this game actively for 2 years atleast and been there and seen mostly all the FotM periodes for darius both on his team and against him. And this problem of team transition to lategame is something that becomes a trend and a great difficulty if you are on his team. The game turns into a protect the kog'maw" meta without range, which is flawed in my opinion.

Which worries me because I imagine he will still be an "all in"(hence the lore) melee, just now with a higher carry and scaling focus. I anticipate the rework, but I fear it might still gonna suck being his team mates after the rework forcing the rest of the team to adapt their play because there is a darius in the game, imagine nidalee here.

Speaking on the topic of reworks in general. I feel that they are justified when a champion doesn't fit into a team (example: old heimer) and/or has poor scaling into late game which in turn prevents them from fitting into a team. This is a team game after all and if you can't fit a champion into a team composition then why play that champion at all? 

I guess you are meaning that you can't build a team around the focus of the champion you are playing. Well to be fair there are champions that is harder to accomplish synergy with than darius, you put in old heimer as a good example becuase stationary relient champoins are not too common. However if you are following that term I would also discuss possible reworks for champions like nidalee because despite being easy to just slap ontop of most teamcomps she leaves the rest of her team at a serious handicap if they don't play to her strengthes, making hardinitiaten champions on her team borderline useless. Darius rarely puts ultimatums on his team which leads to him or the other champion being useless, this is not taking into account the problem discussed in my first post.

I find that the problem with darius is that his kit is built for taking kills but his scaling isn't strong enough to justify giving him all the kills.

Which is exactly what I said in the first post of mine, in which I agree with your statement above, naturally.

The we both agree. My comment feeds back into my previous comment about team comp and the reason for reworks. I was speaking in reworks in general and trying to use a champion other than the one mentioned to prove my point instead of restating what you posted.

I see what you did indeed, but if I may just wind back to your first post you mention that poor scaling into the lategame prohibits him from being good in teamcompositions. What do you mean here, do you mean scalings as in his ratios or the fact that he messes up the rest of the teams lategame scaling because he has a tendency to soak up all the gold for himself? The reason I am asking is because you have other toplaners with extremely good earlygames that scale very poorly into the lategame like renekton which is still arguably top tier picks and easy to fit into many teamcomps.

I am not necessarily speaking in terms of damage when it comes to late game scaling. More appropriately a champion's general usefulness when it come to late game. If they do not do damage then do they bring some other sort of game changing element? Renek's lategame single target damage may not be that high but he can dive very effectively, is really tanky, and puts out competitive aoe damage while doing it.