• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaz32

Joe's Top 10 Best games of 2013 list. Which one do you agree or disagree with and what's your personal top 10 games of 2013?

58 posts in this topic

So mr Joe has put his Best games of 2013 lists, and let's be honest, there's definitely things that we will agree or disagree with the placement.

So let's break it down on what games you agree or disagree with, and in the end put out your own personal lists of what's your personal top 10 best games of the year. Let's make it clear before we start: doesn't matter what the orders of the game are in, we are discussing which games on the list we agree or disagree on, and it's unfortunate that games like Fire Emblem Awakening and Last of Us is not on his list, but he doesn't have those consoles like us that has it so it can't be helped.

Games on the list I agree with:

Call of Juarez Gunslinger

Injustice

Metro Last Light

Civ 5 a Brave New World

Tomb Raider

Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag

Bioshock Infinite

GTAV

I played these games and they're all very good games that I can invest a long time in playing. Personally the one that I least enjoy is Black Flag, primarily because the hand to hand combat's animation is the same as before and I already played 30 hours into Assassin's Creed 3 fighting so many enemies and seeing the same animation over and over and over again that I just got tired of seeing it. However, this game's a big step up from Assassin's Creed 3 and the naval combat will make you forget the hand to hand combat's animation. That's just my personal experience though, you may think the combat animation isn't a big deal and you'll like the game a lot.

Games on the list I disagree with:

Saints Row 4

Far Cry Blood Dragon

These 2 are pretty good games, but Saints Row 4 to me is just an improved Saints Row 3 with superpowers, so you know what to expect and may say "meh, more of the same." Far Cry Blood Dragon's pretty cool and hilariously 80's, but the game's pretty much the same as Far Cry 3 and it lost in comparison to the other games that's far more innovative. Still good games though, but not good enough to be in the top 10.

Here's my personal top 10 games of 2013:

10) Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

9) Metro Last Light

8) Bioshock Infinite

7) Tomb Raider

6) GTAV

5) Deadly Premonition Director's Cut

4) Papers Please

3) Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies

2) Fire Emblem Awakening

1) Last of Us

Yes I put GTAV at number 6, but I can't help it. Excluding the obvious Last of Us, 5 till 2 are so good that they left a stronger impression on me than 10 - 6. I mean sure Deadly Premonition is filled with bugs and it makes me want to throw my controller out the window for freezing my game after 20 minutes of tailing a guy that's as slow as a sloth, but the story, characters and settings are so damn good that I am so happy in the end for finishing this epic game. Papers Please is a game about being an immigration officer, and it's so much fun just pointing out immigrant's errors in their documents and decide whether they get arrested, go through or deported. I played this game for 19 hours straight to get all the endings and achievements, and I'm glad I did. Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies is the return of Ace Attorney and a fucking epic one with hilarious dialogues, clever mindblowing twists and amazing graphics that makes me play it even when I was going to work, and I'm glad I finished it after 5 days playing it straight. Fire Emblem Awakening is such a great turn based strategy game with a lot of replayabilities from the various possible couples that you can make from each characters that I can't stop playing it. These games are so good that they feel so much more satisfying to play till the end than GTAV, at least in my opinion.

Honorable mentions that you should play:

Call of Juarez Gunslinger

Injustice

Civ 5 a Brave New World

Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag

Outlast

Brothers a Tale of Two Sons

Saints Row 4

Stanley Parable

Wolf Among Us

Walking Dead Season 2

the Cat Lady

Gone Home

Far Cry Blood Dragon

State Of Decay

kratosgow likes this

I agree with you that GTA V is overrated but I agree with his list but if he's has PS3 his opinion with GTA V will be change drastically GTA V has potenial but not good in term execution especially story and MP and if you see this http://gotypicks.blogspot.com/ you'll see dispite GTA V is being praise by a lot of game media critic but The Last of Us still had received Game of the Year award more than GTA V and Skyrim (The Last of Us got 227 GTA V got 142 Skyrim got 226) ND prove that New IP always get good reception no matter what time it's release if it live expectation and hype and ofcourse this game is not for everyone but this game is deserved Game of the Year award because It's show that how to make game with good gameplay blend with good ciniematic experience and this is a few game that I care about charactor in the game especially Joel and Ellie.

I believe Civ 5 shouldnt be on the list because it was an expansion to a game that came out in 2010 so it really shouldn't be on the top ten best games and could have used that spot for another game all together like Metal Gear Rising and before someone asks no I'm not going to say the same for Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon it wasnt an expansion or continuation of the original Far Cry 3 but its own stand alone game.

I didn't mind his list, for me it was a dry year for bying games, I didn't get much. The thing I probably would have different in my own list would be get rid of Saints Row 4, I've never liked the Saints Row series, and then switch GTA V into third place since it was all right but I felt it was overhyped to the max just like Skyrim and then put The Last of Us in first. That's just my opinion and of course Joes video is his opinion.

kratosgow likes this

To be brutally honest. The only two games I can see myself agree with is CIV5 and Bioshock Infinite. I actually haven't played CIV5, but it looks like a game that you would literally be able to spend hundreds of hours if you enjoy it. I also didn't take the top 15 to serious since he don't really own all of the systems. I, pretty much only play MMO-RPGs as well, so I do not really agree on most lists. :D

as I expected GTA V is on top 1. I wouldn't mind If I swap Saint's Row 4 with Shadow Warrior. I also agree that MGR:Revengeance is should be on the list.

Can't agree with Deadly Premonition: DC (the OP's list). Director's cut was inferior when compared to original on almost every aspect. The framerate was bad, graphics were in some way worse (it had more AA, but that's it) and Greenvale didn't have the green in it.

Joe's list didn't have surprisingly enough indies on it, but I guess he doesn't really play indies at all, but nevertheless I agreed with Joe's list. It was his opinions, and if you change it, it's not his opinion anymore.

I didn't mind his list, for me it was a dry year for bying games, I didn't get much. The thing I probably would have different in my own list would be get rid of Saints Row 4, I've never liked the Saints Row series, and then switch GTA V into third place since it was all right but I felt it was overhyped to the max just like Skyrim and then put The Last of Us in first. That's just my opinion and of course Joes video is his opinion.

I agree on this more or less. This year was good to catch up on some old games that I didn't have time to play.

My best is Last of Us for sure. GTA is ok, but for some reason I stoped playing it half way.  Well at least I need to book time to play Black Flag and Metro

Enjoy.

I've only played 3 games in his list Metro Last Light, Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite.

The rest I don't care for but it's not my list so I don't mind what he puts there. I didn't play many new releases last year and I really didn't like a lot of what I did play so I can't do a top 10 as I didn't enjoy 10 games released last year.

Haven't played a single one of these, besides Injustice... I'm not even sure if I played ten titels that came out in 2013. However, from the ones I played, I would probably have added :

Legend of Zelda: A Link between Worlds

Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm

Pikmin 3

Mechwarior Online

I agree with the games from his top 10 that I actually played myself. Some remarks I have on Joe's list:

- GTA V's multiplayer was a let down for me, even now I think the multiplayer is not what most people had hoped it would be and therefore, GTA V would not reach #1-position on my list. 

- Civ V - Brave New World is an excellent expansion and makes Civ V definitely a better experience, but I don't think it brings enough to be classed as a game of its own. Therefore, it would not be on my list. 

- Bioshock Infinite has an excellent art-design and looks beautiful, but the gameplay is actually pretty bad in my opinion, so it's not in my top-10 list. I could not even finish it on my first try. Maybe I'll try again later. 

My own list:

10. GRID 2

9. Trackmania 2: Stadium

8. Magic 2014

7. DmC

6. Divinity: Dragon Commander

5. Papers, Please

4. Tomb Raider

3. Saints Row IV

2. Grand Theft Auto V

1. The Stanley Parable

I like the list, although i haven't played all the games it gives me an idea on which ones to try

GTAV would definitely be my number 1, its the only game released last year that i played constantly, for about 3 weeks and then the online for about 3 or 4 weeks and then back to the story mode.

I can always go back to playing this game no matter what.

Never played last of us, once i put down bioshock i never picked it up again, blood dragon is super fun but was a little surprised Far Cry 3 never made it on the list (considering how much joe enjoyed it) and the rest are in my "to do" list or just not my type of game.

I spent a lot of last year playing Black Ops 2 with friends or older games so my top 10 wouldn't really be a 2013 list 

Well to be honest I think Joe didn't play a lot of games this year. Somehow I have a feeling he had a lot of focus on this forums, now this with youtube, and to diverse much more channel with play throughes and DLC and other stuff.

So Joe play more games, hehehehe.

I completely disagree with his perception of the Vox Populi. I always saw it as completely believable and even inevitable. It seems Joe has some cognitive dissonance in regards to wanting the opponents of a facist/racist regime to be the good guys when in there is zero reason for them to be.

I always saw them as the ideological conflict between Nazism and Communism so yeah, there not the same, but that doesn't mean one is 'Good' and it certainly does not mean one should be good.. I really can't believe he think Daisy Fitzroy should have been this glorious upstanding hero for no other reason than the people she was apposing were scum.

In fact if she had turned out to be this savior of a glorious revolution I would have called bullshit for such whimsical nonsense.

I agree with most, I wouldn't had put BI too high either and I had fun playing GTA V and ACIV. For me the best game this year was TLOU followed then by GTA V, ACIV abd BI at last.

Well it is his opinion, but only problem i had is bioshocks position. Mostly because in infinite review i saw that Joe didnt understand the ending, but while hearing what he said about the game in the top 10 list, then i can say that he didnt understand the ending at all.

Can't agree with Deadly Premonition: DC (the OP's list). Director's cut was inferior when compared to original on almost every aspect. The framerate was bad, graphics were in some way worse (it had more AA, but that's it) and Greenvale didn't have the green in it.

Joe's list didn't have surprisingly enough indies on it, but I guess he doesn't really play indies at all, but nevertheless I agreed with Joe's list. It was his opinions, and if you change it, it's not his opinion anymore.

That's ok, it's your personal preference. I see Deadly Premonition as an old school game. I think of it as if it's released for PS2 so I don't mind the graphics. I mean sure like I said the glitches are out of control, but the story is fucking amazing that I don't care about the flaws. I felt happier finishing Deadly Premonition than GTAV. Doesn't mean GTAV is bad, every game on the top 10 are great games. That's just my personal opinion.

I agree with you that GTA V is overrated but I agree with his list but if he's has PS3 his opinion with GTA V will be change drastically GTA V has potenial but not good in term execution especially story and MP and if you see this http://gotypicks.blogspot.com/ you'll see dispite GTA V is being praise by a lot of game media critic but The Last of Us still had received Game of the Year award more than GTA V and Skyrim (The Last of Us got 227 GTA V got 142 Skyrim got 226) ND prove that New IP always get good reception no matter what time it's release if it live expectation and hype and ofcourse this game is not for everyone but this game is deserved Game of the Year award because It's show that how to make game with good gameplay blend with good ciniematic experience and this is a few game that I care about charactor in the game especially Joel and Ellie.

GTAV is not overrated. It deserves to be one of the top 10 games of 2013. However I just felt I have to put it at number 6 because 5 till 1 are the games that makes me feel a lot happier and more immersed in finishing them from beginning to end. To be fair 5 till 1 are either for a different console than Xbox360 or in Papers Please case, an indie game. If you don't own a PS3 or 3DS, you'll probably skip these games in your top 10 list.

My list:

1) Civilization V: Brave New World
2) Metro: Last Light
3) Outlast
4) The Stanley Parable
5) Far Cry 3
6) Skulls of the Shogun
7) Payday 2
8) Don't Starve
9) Antichamber
10) Dust: An Elysian Tail

Some games didn't make it even though I had fun (BSI and GTA but they had aspects that didn't make them top10 for me but would be in the top 20-30) and some that I haven't gotten to play yet like (The last of us/gone home/and others)

My list:

1) Civilization V: Brave New World

2) Metro: Last Light

3) Outlast

4) The Stanley Parable

5) Far Cry 3

6) Skulls of the Shogun

7) Payday 2

8) Don't Starve

9) Antichamber

10) Dust: An Elysian Tail

Some games didn't make it even though I had fun (BSI and GTA but they had aspects that didn't make them top10 for me but would be in the top 20-30) and some that I haven't gotten to play yet like (The last of us/gone home/and others)

Wait, Far Cry 3's from 2012. Don't you mean Blood Dragon?

You can debate all you like about his list and the fact that he added expansions to it, but as always, its his list so he can have it exactly how he wants it.

My personal list - which as Joe himself thankfully stated, is MY personal list and not yours - is as follows and only includes games i have personally played and enjoyed far more than others i played during 2013:

1. The Last of Us PS3
2. Tomb Raider PS3&PC (played and finished it on both)
3. Starcraft II Heart of the Swarm PC
4. Beyond Two Souls PS3
5. Bioshock Infinite PC
6. Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag PS4
7. Fire Emblem Awakening 3DS (english version released in 2013)
8. Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn PC
9. Plants vs Zombies 2 iOS
Bravely Default 3DS (released in Australia late 2013)

You can debate all you like about his list and the fact that he added expansions to it, but as always, its his list so he can have it exactly how he wants it.

I know that. This is just us saying which games on his list we agree or disagree with and it's all just our own personal opinions. Surely you agree or disagree with the games on his list as well.

I know that. This is just us saying which games on his list we agree or disagree with and it's all just our own personal opinions. Surely you agree or disagree with the games on his list as well.

It isnt about ''agreeing'' to his list. It is merely accepting it as his personal opinion on the games he played that year. Whether you agree with it or not infers that if you do not, then you are effectively stating he is wrong and you are right, if you get my meaning.

Relax mate. We are all passionate about the games we play and the experiences we enjoy. Just let others share with everyone what they enjoyed without fear of being judged by it.

It isnt about ''agreeing'' to his list. It is merely accepting it as his personal opinion on the games he played that year. Whether you agree with it or not infers that if you do not, then you are effectively stating he is wrong and you are right, if you get my meaning.

Relax mate. We are all passionate about the games we play and the experiences we enjoy. Just let others share with everyone what they enjoyed without fear of being judged by it.

Yeah that's what I mean. We accept that it's his own personal opinion of the games he played last year and he's entitled to his opinion. We don't complain about the games on the list, this is just us saying which games on his list we agree or disagree based on our personal choices that's all.

Agree with all that I played, all that are available on PC except Tomb Raider which I didn't play yet.

Here's my youtube comment on the video

"Gunslinger was great I agree!  

Injustice was awesome as well, one of the best fighting games in a while and it has the League no less!

Blood Dragon.... "There's death on the other side Rex!" "What kind of death?" "The worst kind!"

Bioshock Infinite was a wonderful ride, whoever says the contrary is wrong... Gameplay was kind of lacking though I agree. Fitzroy being corrupted by power in the other dimension was cool imo because... Power corrupts and race doesn't matter. Even though the gameplay was lacking I'd say this is number 3 at the very least.

BNW, great addition to already awesome game.

And those are the ones I played "to completion" from the list, with the exception of Black Flag I didn't play the rest at all but it was an enjoyable list all around.

Wasn't Tomb Raider panned by feminist critics because there was rape and controversy when there was no real rape or controversy at all?"

My list?

Well those would be a great start I guess I'd add Marvel Heroes to it because it's better than Diablo 3 right now and has Wolverine, you can never be wrong with Wolverine.

I liked Blacklist a lot, the Splinter Cell hardcore fans are probably still complaining that you can shoot people but I enjoyed it greatly.

Divinity: Dragon Commander was a beautiful game with awesome mechanics and a nice story. I'm very sad still that no one played the multiplayer and apparently not that many people played the game proper.... Starcraft 2 sadly killed all other RTS games it seems. Dragon Commander is easily among the games of the year but if not that at least trailer of the year, the trailer is beautiful has a lot of eye candy a great soundtrack and manages to explain the game pretty well, it almost sounds too good to be true. I'd say it's number 2

And finally a really awesome game(storywise) that a lot of reviewers shat on because there were a few release bugs(on the PC the only one I found was the enigma side-quest bug) Batman Arkham Origins, the story was full of nods to Batman year one and Killing Joke, I was absolutely enthralled by the Killing Joke segment. Troy Baker did an awesome joker and Roger Craig Smith was a great Batman as well. They played the part very similarly to the original voice actors but with their own twists here and there. The gameplay is the same as Arkham City with a few different gadgets and one or two new types of enemies, but I don't really see a problem with that to be honest. It's not like they can reinvent the wheel for the next game in the franchise either. It seems it was laggy and unresponsive on consoles but I don't know how true that is, on the PC it was pretty fine. Definitely the game I enjoyed the most in 2013.

Other than 1, 2 and 3 I'm not giving any particular order to the games I felt there were some nice games this year but it could have been better on the unfinished release department.