• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

SgtRoss

The Secret World - VOTE FAILED

Should AJSA Officially Support (The Secret World)?   77 members have voted

1. 1. Should AJSA Officially Support (The Secret World)?

• Yes! I promise to play it regularly!
    • No. I wont be playing it often enough.
    • Yes, but wait until a major expansion first.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 posts in this topic

Should The Angry Army Play (The Secret World)?

Leave your vote and your opinion in the Thread Below!

*No Flamewars

*No Council Bashing

*Respect Current Decisions, but know it can be reversed with enough demand from members in The AJSA!

Pros:

• extensive skill tree (in the end you can become anything you want).
  • no subscription (but you need to buy the game first).
  • great story line based on all the myth's and legends of this world...( vampires, werewolves, Clthulu...).

Cons:

• need a good gaming pc for it to run smoothly.
  • us servers are hosted in Canada.
  • game has some lag issues.

Current Council Decision: FAILED! Game did not accumulate enough votes.

*Based on Community Votes Command will decide to play the game in question if enough demand is there within The AJSA! Regardless of their decision or personal preferences - good game-specific Officers will be recruited and an additional commander maybe added to the roster to help oversee this game primarily.

***Please Remember that even if The Angry Army doesn't Officially Support The Game or Create a Game Division within it, that you can by all means still play the game with your AJSA Tag if you would like to do so!

Omnichromic likes this

I like this game but the "story arcs" are just ridiculously long (albeit terribly interesting)

Cons:

• us servers are hosted in Canada.

And that is a con why exactly? It's not like they're way up north, I'm pretty sure they're in Montreal, as they have offices there, which isn't too far from the US border. If you lived in the US state of California, and the servers were in either in Montreal or somewhere in northern part of the US state of Maine, I challenge you to be able to notice a difference. Internet traffic doesn't have to slowly work its way through customs after all, and Montreal is a pretty modern city.

I'd wager a lot of the perceived "lag" is due to the client, as it isn't apparently well optimized, which people mislabeled as server lag. That is also why you'd need a heftier gaming rig than you really should.

If you want cons try:

• It is something of a niche market game, that won't really appeal to the masses as much as traditional fantasy MMOs, and FPS games do.
  • Poorly optimized client, requiring a more powerful computer to run smoothly than it really should.
Hawko and mrfool like this

And that is a con why exactly? It's not like they're way up north, I'm pretty sure they're in Montreal, as they have offices there, which isn't too far from the US border. If you lived in the US state of California, and the servers were in either in Montreal or somewhere in northern part of the US state of Maine, I challenge you to be able to notice a difference. Internet traffic doesn't have to slowly work its way through customs after all, and Montreal is a pretty modern city.

I'd wager a lot of the perceived "lag" is due to the client, as it isn't apparently well optimized, which people mislabeled as server lag. That is also why you'd need a heftier gaming rig than you really should.

If you want cons try:

• It is something of a niche market game, that won't really appeal to the masses as much as traditional fantasy MMOs, and FPS games do.
  • Poorly optimized client, requiring a more powerful computer to run smoothly than it really should.

well its far enough up north that it affects gameplay. and it hosts US west and US east servers in the same place. so... yeah it is a con. and it doesnt really matter how good a gaming rig you have, the lag is still present. if its not the servers then they havent optimised the client like you said. wich doesnt make much sence since they had a full 3-2 years to do it. (i also live in oregon by the way, i have a decent rig and the game is still laggy as hell.)

well its far enough up north that it affects gameplay. and it hosts US west and US east servers in the same place. so... yeah it is a con.

No, it doesn't make a difference, at least not enough of a difference to be noticeable, look at a map, the distance is rather small between what I referenced, if it was between Montreal, and Northern New York state it could even be less than 100 km. A number of MMOs I've played had their servers on the other side of the continent from me, I'd still get little to no lag. This also isn't some fast paced action game that really needs a super fast connection either. Although even then there are people over here playing games like Blade & Soul, or TERA on the the Chinese, or Korean servers, and it plays fairly well for them, with pings around 150-250 or so depending on the VPN. Those are games that would demand a better connection than The Secret World does. Ping the server and see what you get, although if your router and such sucks, that could foul things up as well, was this one guy that lives two hours from the TERA servers in Chicago, at work he could get a ping of about 30-60, at home it was around 250.

The servers are for North America, not just the US, and people from other countries tend to play on them as well, mind telling me how much of a difference they will notice if the servers are located a little one way, or the other. It's also the same set up as they used for Anarchy Online for years, till they server merged everyone on the same server. There was the EU server in the EU somewhere, for North America there was a West server, and an East server, with the West, and East both located in California from what I remember, until they moved it over to Montreal.

and it doesnt really matter how good a gaming rig you have, the lag is still present. if its not the servers then they havent optimised the client like you said. wich doesnt make much sence since they had a full 3-2 years to do it. (i also live in oregon by the way, i have a decent rig and the game is still laggy as hell.)

It's not well optimized, some even say it's barely optimized at all. On some computers it runs well, on others it's all clunky and stiff, even though they could be of roughly equal capacity, or the smoother one even the weaker rig. It like other games can be picky, evidently it just doesn't like your rig.

Love this game just redownloaded it and will probably start playing this game again!

Guys the Pros/Cons are just directly copied from the posts made on the Game Request forum, I honestly have no idea if the hosting makes much a difference.

Guys the Pros/Cons are just directly copied from the posts made on the Game Request forum, I honestly have no idea if the hosting makes much a difference.

Before posting I looked at the thread suggesting the game and saw that it was really just copy pasted over. I also saw that another poster over there mentioned how the problem was how poorly optimized the client is. The person that posted it there, and is defending it here, seems to have latched onto the idea that a relatively small degree of difference in where the servers are located is the problem, no matter what anyone else says.

With any online game with hosted servers, most of the time when people complain about lag, it's client related, they change/reduce some settings in or out of the game, and the "lag" usually goes away. Other times the people complaining about how laggy it is are on the other side of the planet or some such thing. The rest of the time it's usually due to problems in the server net code, hardware, a high activity spike, or someone assaulting the servers with a DDoS attack. For a game like this, which is not nearly as twitch reaction based as other games, the idea that the server being located a little this way, or that being the problem, is simply ludicrous.

Here's three cons:

• The client is poorly optimized, which can require a more powerful computer to run smoothly than it really should if it does not like your rig.
  • Unlike many other online games these days, this, like both Guild Wars games, is a buy to play game, requiring an initial monetary investment before you can try it.

I agree with the above poster, the server locations can't be considered a con as they are an issue with ALL MMO games and, coming from Australia, lag is always an issue since no servers are ever hosted here.

I do have another con though:
* The story arcs are very disjointed.
This is the main reason I haven't played the game much at all. I'll be getting right into the story, but then the next stage will require some levelling and by the time I'm strong enough to do that next stage, I've forgotten what was happening or why I was doing it. The stories are fantastic, as is the more unique levelling system, but the jumps between story sections are just too much for me.

this game doesnt work well period for me and all my friends so i assumed it was because something was wrong with the servers since none of my friends could get the game to work smoothly, we all have diferent Pc's with different OS/specs on them so that meant it wasnt a hardware problem.

(also in the sugestions forum i listed US servers in Canada as a Con because, well... the servers are meant for the US and they arnt even in the US, their in our neighbor's front lawn. i know it doesnt make much of a difference just something clicked in my head and made me think: "why are the US servers hosted in Canada? Their for the US so why arnt they hosted here?." and so... thats why i wrote it down.)

this game doesnt work well period for me and all my friends so i assumed it was because something was wrong with the servers since none of my friends could get the game to work smoothly, we all have diferent Pc's with different OS/specs on them so that meant it wasnt a hardware problem.

(also in the sugestions forum i listed US servers in Canada as a Con because, well... the servers are meant for the US and they arnt even in the US, their in our neighbor's front lawn. i know it doesnt make much of a difference just something clicked in my head and made me think: "why are the US servers hosted in Canada? Their for the US so why arnt they hosted here?." and so... thats why i wrote it down.)

Just stop posting on the matter, all you did there was prove what I said about you just simply latching onto that as being the cause to be true. "US" servers for any game are always meant as for players in both the US and Canada, not just the US, and they're often situated around the border one way or the other. The game is fairly well known as being poorly optimized, as has been said often enough, try reducing various settings, view distance in particular, and changing the DirectX version it uses. Look at The Secret World official forums, there's a number of threads on this topic, with ideas on how to improve performance. What I keep seeing people doing in games is trying to amp up the settings beyond what their system can handle as other games let them play with max settings, then when it doesn't work out they look for every possible thing they can find to blame, other than it just being due to the fact their system can't run it at those settings.

Hawko likes this

I do have another con though:

* The story arcs are very disjointed.

Unfortunately it is a game were u need to beat the story to put it together its a puzzle game this is not a argument in any way and after u beat the starter area its a mission with more story and dialogue its VERY in depth and i love those puzzles

Pros:

Big Story and Deep

Puzzles lots of em

Open Class system

Skill/gear based game 

a nice Variety of monster to kill

and if u got the Rig the game looks great (hell even if u dont and u now how to set ur settings it still looks good)

Its a Great game especially for the amount of content and the story that you get. I played the beta and then the full version when it came out, It would be nice to pick it back up again ( been awhile since I last played). Now that there's no subscription, I wouldn't mind joining up with a few others and playing it. About the servers I live in Texas and the game runs fine for me with no lag. I wonder how this will all turnout.

Although I do play this game i'm already set up on an EU server and don't fancy starting over again.

It's great that you add "older" games to the polls but, for reasons mentioned in other threads, they probably won't get the support some people would like. A lot of us have played games like this since they were released and joining another server to start all over isn't our idea of fun.

mrfool and Kelinger like this

Its a cool game so if yall up for a Angry Army Cabal im in.... for SURE :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I love this game and would love to see the AA try it out.   The game really does deserve the support and could frankly use it.

On server location:  

That doesn't make any real difference it's not even how the internet works really.  My ping to the UK is better than my ping to New York and the UK is ALOT further.

On optimization:

I'm not sure if it is an optimization issue or that the games max settings are for bleeding edge PCs.  I personally have an extremely good PC and run the game with zero issues.  I have two friends with lower end PCs that run the game well with little lag except during zone wide fights and a third friend who has a computer that was awesome 5 years ago and they can play the game fine most of the time but can get some heavy chop or loading times.  Alot of the complaints I have seen about lag are during the zone wide events which are simply brutal on peoples computers.

On having to start over on another server:

Nope there is only one server and 6? phantom shards that mean literally nothing other than for a single PvP zone.  They are really there to avoid freaking out the masses.

I would say the Pros are:

The storyarcs 

The VO acting

The characters

The innovative mission design

The brutal puzzles

The unforgiving mission design

The occasional actually scary story

The skill progression system

The price (buy the box for like $12 then free to play)

and the supreme quality of the issues or "DLC."  Especially issue 7 which was jaw dropping

i would say the Cons are:

The unforgiving mission design

the non standard mission design

The lack of standard MMO tropes (ie. grinding and loot) till endgame

Weak PvP

The character creator is lacking

The game is a niche style that's hard to describe and hard for many people to wrap their head around.  

(it's kinda X-files+supernatural vs Cthulhu)

would have to vote no on this purely because i paid full price for this game and felt it didn't bring anything fresh to the table the skill trees were quite cool but you essentially just chose between melee or ranged, the starting area felt slow to get through and i had trouble understanding the story which left me seperated from the character i made.

maybe if i had spent more time with it i might have come to enjoy it but after playing games like rift which is free to play and stands pretty close to the same quality if not better i can't see this passing through the poll

i played the Beta, it's not a half bad game.

Here is a Pros:

Players from different realms can make a party and be teleporter tothe same realm temporarelly

Also this mounth, i belive, there will be a huge update where more story missions will come, and new areas as well.

I  belive it will be in Tokyo, in the Orochi Tower, with new dungeons and enemies

Also, issue 9, 10 and 11

Hawko likes this

Wow! I didn't know there some Angry Army play this game too.

I play Templar with Pistol & Sword.

I like how This game is so different from other MMORPG.
It also so much different that it too indy for other people to try playing this too.

I whould like to see this game as part of our community but i didnt vote cause i dont have time play many games and im already in to POE and GW2.I might try Secret World later on.

i'm willing to buy it if the ajsa supports it

Found it !! My very old character's picture !!!

OldMe01.jpg