• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

LHudson

Game with the Best Story

Best Game Stories Poll   69 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favo(u)rite story driven game?

• Shadow of the Colossus
    • Final Fantasy VI
    • Final Fantasy VII
    • Silent Hill
    • Silent Hill 2
    • Silent Hill 3
    • Metal Gear Solid
    • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    • Spec Ops: The Line
    • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    • Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    • Red Dead Redemption
    • Bastion
    • Bioshock
    • Bioshock Infinite
    • The Walking Dead
    • The Last of Us
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 posts in this topic

Prepare the fanboy rage to come.....or hopefully not.

I'm kinda curious since people seem to hold story in high regard when it comes to supposedly story driven games. So I am curious to what your personal favo(u)rite story driven game is. I've plucked a few examples from the past three generations but feel free to tell us all about the one diamond we forgot to mention :)

Love you, and please don't nuke each other. And If the list is too long, feel free to warn me mods :)

Edit: Damn, I wish I put in a question mark in the thread title. I am way too stupid :/

I voted the Last of Us, for one reason and one reason only. It is the game I was most emotionally invested in. All the other ones (that I have played) had great story but say LoZ:OOC I loved the story but was not invested in it.

If that makes any sense.

I love bioshock's overall story mostly 2. it was so touchy feeling at the end.

Bimpy782 likes this

I think skyrim the elder scrolls 5 should be on the list. But choosing from the list, red dead redemption had an awesome story.  

I feel a disturbance in the final fantasy VII fan base.....

as hundred of fanboys were ready to say that final fantasy 7 is the best game.

They are close....

I voted on Zelda Ocarina of time because it got me into gaming and its an amazing game to begin with.

My favourite story of recent years in a game has to be The Witcher series.

I was drawn in with the first one and it got me hooked. I even read the (badly) translated books it was based on just to know more about the lore.

And now I have Witcher 3 coming out and maybe, just maybe, Geralt might find Yennifer.

Bimpy782 likes this

I think skyrim the elder scrolls 5 should be on the list. But choosing from the list, red dead redemption had an awesome story.  

Skyrim has no story.

The Walking Dead... I love jumping into all the possibilities and exploring the different endings because of them.  I hope they complete the second season like the first.

bioshock 1 and bioshock infinite but if i had to pick one i guess i would pick infinite

Skyrim has no story.

Skyrim sorta does but its a role play game so its flexible. but the Elder Scrolls in general has some of the best lore and in game history of any sires, im telling you go on youtube and watch the Elder Scrolls lore sires by the ShoddyCast i bet it will change your mind on what you just said

here is a link to the first video 

The thread title asks which is the game with the best story but the poll asks which is the best story-driven game. I would argue those are similar but not exactly the same, but that's another discussion I suppose.

Anyways, I express no anger or "fanboy rage" but I do think this poll is missing about a thousand options (obviously there's no way it could contain everything). I don't mean to slight the games listed on the poll but there's innumerable other games with good stories, many of them now considered classic games. For the rest of my life I will remember certain classics like Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire, Star Ocean, Lunar, etc. Those are just the games that immediately come to mind. Games that come to mind a few seconds later include: Legend of Dragoon (listed), Xenogears, Legend of Legaia, Chrono Cross, Suikoden, Tales of Destiny, etc. I could go on for hours but I love and remember all of the games I listed (and more) because I thought the story and gameplay were both amazing. A lot of those games have stories that I think are far more unique and interesting than the stories told in the medium today and a lot of those games also gave birth to the stories told today.

Some of the more recent games I felt had good stories:

Borderlands 2 (personal opinion), Mass Effect (series), Metal Gear Solid 4 (listed), Dust: An Elysian Tail, Braid, Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons, Spec Ops: The Line, To the Moon, etc.

p.s. But seriously, how is Beavis and Butthead not on the poll list?

Edit: I suppose I didn't actually pick one for what I thought was the best story. If I had to pick (and I'd rather not) I think I'd go with Suikoden II. I think Luca Blight is perhaps the greatest villain in all of gaming history.

Edit 2: Oh my god I forgot Wild Arms, I must be getting sick or something. I have to go listen to the soundtrack now.

Halo is my favorite gaming story, I find the Human-Covenant War to be fasinating and the Forerunners add suspense and mystery because you don't know much about them other than that they ruled the universe for millions of years. Anyways, Halo has a great story in my opinion.

I'm going to say Max Payne 3. I started The Last of us and that game has an awesome story so far, but I haven't beaten it yet. In The Last of Us my favorite part of the game is the stealth killing. There's nothing like waiting for a lone guard to walk by, grabbing and dragging him into a shadow  and brutally murdering him in various ways. It reminds me a lot of the original Manhunt on playstation 1.  Popping around a corner and caving some guys head in with a brick, that has to be one of the most brutal kills in a video game for a long while.

However, I say Max Payne 3 because that game has one of the darkest, engrossing, and well written stories. I would find myself watching the cut scenes and being transfixed, then be disappointed when it ended and I had to shoot my way to the next one.  Another thing that makes the story good is that it is inspired by true events, it's plausible that something like that could happen in real life (minus the bullet time and pain pills lol).  It has good twists, good moments of just sheer evil. I really felt like Max had the right sense of morals for that situation. 

While the game play is kind of meh, it is certainly a great game. I have been thinking about making a movie out of it, just get the cutscenes all together and do abbreviated gun battles in between so it's not just jumping around randomly.  I need to learn how to use a movie editing program first though

My vote goes to the original MGS. It had solid characters,( memorable villains like Raven, Mantis and Wolf), funny one liners, great cut scenes and so much more. This game got me hooked in the franchise, too bad MGS: Sons of Liberty was, meh.

Other:

Journey. The story only unfolds in your mind and creates something special for everyone who is willing to let it flow through you.

I'd like to add spec-ops the line to that list IMO

Duke Nukem Forever.

Planescape Torment.

Skyrim has no story.

No idea how Skyrim and Fallout 3 are always praised for story. Even from a lore perspective that doesn't even make sense when compared to other games in the series.

"A man chooses and a slave obeys"
-Bioshock Andrew ryan
I loved this game in everyway, though when i started play this game back when it came out I was scary though I overcomed my fear. Then i finished the game 2x over and enjoyed it! :)