• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Twisted Chi

Whats with all the love for Skyrim

29 posts in this topic

I am a fan of RPGs since the late 80's and have played every Elder Scrolls game apart from Morrowind (somehow never came around to play it). Following reddit/this forum closely I get really curious:

Why do so many love Skyrim? And I mean love like "this is the best RPG I've ever played or in my Top 5 at least"

I've played it and found it to be enjoyable but somehow painfully shallow.

This is not ment to be a hate thread or fanboy fight. I am genuinly curious on why you love it.

BSB and AshkPunk like this

I am a fan of RPGs since the late 80's and have played every Elder Scrolls game apart from Morrowind (somehow never came around to play it). Following reddit/this forum closely I get really curious:

Why do so many love Skyrim? And I mean love like "this is the best RPG I've ever played or in my Top 5 at least"

This is not ment to be a hate thread or fanboy fight. I am genuinly curious on why you love it.

*I used to be an RPG fan like you until i took an arrow to the knee*

Alexander452, BSB and Frozen_arow like this

I wondered this myself!
And I agree with you "enjoyable but somehow painfully shallow."

I'm actually a massive fan of the elder scrolls series up until the point of Skyrim to tell you the truth. They removed some of my most favorite features from the elder scrolls series and I am just as curious as you are to know why people love this game so much as it seems so much inferior to the previous installments especially since most of the quests you feel like UPS.

Pc version user here- Mods like wyrmtooth and the like make the game genuinly amazing. The console versions on the other-hand are bland.

(Also props to Rebuilding Helghan, for adding back an arena :D)

I actually agree with Chi. Everyone i ever talked to, Elder Scrolls fan or not, all claim Skyrim is the pinnacle of RPGs, or something like that. But i can never see why people praise it like that.

The movement and combat feels slow and dull, the stories are told in a particularly boring fashion and have almost no impact on the game itself, save for some random comments by guards that all sound like they're doing a bad Schwarzenegger impression.

It's immersive, no one can argue with that, but for me at least, there's not a whole lot else Skyrim does a great job at, and for me, a great game needs to offer me more than just being immersive.

1 reason I love it .... mods.

With some good graphical and texture mods it looks gorgeous.

Add a metric fuck ton of quest mods on top of that, new armour, new weapons, more diverse enemies, improved dragons, improved Vampire/Werewolf and the large collection of "adult" mods I have ... it's made my Skyrim a completely different game.

2ofSpades and Hyperium like this

1 reason I love it .... mods.

With some good graphical and texture mods it looks gorgeous.

Add a metric fuck ton of quest mods on top of that, new armour, new weapons, more diverse enemies, improved dragons, improved Vampire/Werewolf and the large collection of "adult" mods I have ... it's made my Skyrim a completely different game.

I agree with the mods. They enhance the game in a massive way but as you said "it's made Skyrim a completely different game". What about vanilla Skyrim?

I agree with the mods. They enhance the game in a massive way but as you said "it's made Skyrim a completely different game". What about vanilla Skyrim?

Yeah, if you needs mods to make a game good, It's not a good game to start with.

Well if compared to most RPGs, Skyrim has tons of replayability with the different character builds/playstyle. Also, there are a lot of good mods out there that keeps the game afloat even after Bethesda pulled out support from the game last year. 

Yes Skyrim has it flaws, and its not perfect but its enjoyable and I think that's the important part.

The "vanilla" game was okay ... but that's it. I played it first time, like I do with all my games, without mods and found it playable but not jump up and down while shitting smarties fantastic.

Yeah, if you needs mods to make a game good, It's not a good game to start with.

Then that could be said about nearly every game on PC.

Any game that can be modded, I mod. From Dragon Age to Mass Effect to Dark Souls.... I've modded them all.

I can play a game through once and then have no interest in seeing it again (only exception to that rule is Morrowind). The only time i'll play a game through a second time is if I can change things. Even things as small as armour or weapon skins.

2ofSpades likes this

The "vanilla" game was okay ... but that's it. I played it first time, like I do with all my games, without mods and found it playable but not jump up and down while shitting smarties fantastic.

Damn alone for this part I like you even more

I've played it. Sure, it dragged me on at some point, but I still couldn't find it much fun. The only fun I had was when I was oneshotting everything with crouch and all that bollocks, but I didn't finish it as it was too boring. I've beaten it once, but then I blitzed it. In all honesty, I find Fallout to be a way better 'rpg' than Skyrim.

I like the Elder Scrolls games for the lore. I like Skyrim lorewise a lot better than Oblivion, it is simply more extensive than Oblivion. Morrowind was awesome but had it's issues in the gameplay. Which made it harder to get into. 

The gameplay of Skyrim is a bit boring to me, but the lore, environments and characters make the game great. 

I like TES, really great. 

i believe that gameplay wise and as an IP, skyrim has it all going for it, but the game's story is somewhat lacking in execution in my mind.

i feel like the story you played through in KOTOR was much stonger, and had better npc characters that you could relate to.

in skyrim i never met a character i really cared for... at some point i have wanted to kill them all..

where in kotor:

It broke my heart to make Zalbar kill Mission Vao.

i mean talk about being darkside!!

i wasn't until my third playthrough as darkside i could do it!

but for gameplay, no game makes you feel a part of the world like skyrim does, especially with the mods that have been made.

and that, i think, i the cause of much "love"

Is Skyrim the best in the TES series? Definitely not. Oblivion, in my opinion, would forever hold the highest spot in terms of RPGs.

BUT

Skyrim is still, a really good game on its own. Even the vanilla one. Yes I can agree for one that the main quest is shit and combat is dull. I didn't like the ending at all and melee combat is repetitive as heck. But well to be honest a good RPG doesn't need to have five stars in all departments. Planescape: Torment, for example, had an amazing story but lacklustre combat that drove people to advise new players to play the game on the easiest difficulty for the storyline and completely ignore combat.

The reason I find Skyrim good are its environments. I mean, the first time entering the major cities always gave me shivers. Forests, rivers etc were beautiful as heck. Simply put: immersion. Reading the books really helped to immerse me into the game, as well as the random things that occurred, which are everywhere in TES games. My favorites have to be the paranoid Glarthir from Oblivion, and the Sheogorath appearance in Skyrim. After a while these random encounters run out of course but for the first 20 hours or so I was totally sucked into the world. 

I don't play Skyrim for the storyline and I definitely don't play it for the combat, even though I thought the variety of options was pretty cool ( challenge yourself to fight every non-boss enemy without being detected ). The quests are there mainly to justify walking through the amazing world of Skyrim, in my opinion. The only game that immersed me more was Mafia 2, and even then I got the arcade-ish DLCs mainly so that I have a reason to drive around Empire Bay.

There's also a ton of stuff to be done in Skyrim, probably the most I've seen in any RPG. And in my opinion they are all vital to gameplay EXCEPT for:

-cooking

-picking vegetables and selling them

Other than those two, every other skill is needed to get good weapons and equipment as well make $$$ to buy the materialistic things that Skyirm has to offer. Who needs a three-storey house in Winterhold that the player doesn't spend much time in? Me! If only for the feeling of knowing that I own the house lol. I really don't know how to explain but there's always a drive in me to search every nook and cranny in Skyrim. 

There are tons of games that have better storylines, combat than Skyrim, but in terms of immersion I can't think of anything that tops the TES series. Bethesda really got some good heads in their studios, except those that planned the dumbass Skyrim DLCs of course. Oblivion's Shivering Isles expansion was amazing.

Just my two cents.

Twisted Chi likes this

I agree, I never understood the hype for Skyrim, I got it and vanilla Skyrim I found dull and repetitive. You'd think fighting dragons would be awesome but after the first few they are like nats, you can't be bothered with fighting them all the time and just keep moving, especially when they seem not to put up much of a fight.

With mods, sure the game can be improved a lot but vanilla Skyrim I just found boring and repetitive. If it wasn't for mods I probably wouldn't of even bothered finishing the story.

Same. I've found Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim to be pretty mediocre. I suppose the modding community can make it great but I can't really give the game or Bethesda credit for being great because other people fixed and improved it.

I can't stand vanilla Skyrim. But that's a problem i had with Oblivion too. My major problem is the levelled world, without a sense of progression it doesn't feel like an rpg. Modded is another pair of hands, Skyrim + Requiem + Frostfall + Realistic Needs and Diseases saved the game for me. I'm actually starting a new playthrough now that i can manage all the scripts from the mods.

I dislike Skyrim because in my opinion the story/world is dull & boring plus the combat is weak

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that Skyrim is dull. I enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion way more.

Maybe people regard it as one or the best (varies from person to person) RPGs because it fits and or surpasses their standard of what a very good RPG is? Never mind that Skyrim is actually an amazingly superb game on its own, I mean, how can you be curios about this? Because you found it shallow?  :huh:

Because I'm a PC user, the mods are great. But the main reason why I like it so much, is because I find it fun and very immersive. The combat, gets an average rating for me, not painfully dull but not that great either. The exploration and everything else though, is great, that's why I love it. I also like how they redid the skills over the way it was done. It has it's problems, but vanilla gets an 80 from me. Not the greatest and best, but still great. Though I will say, the world doesn't really ever exactly change, that is a huge downside. The mods though, they bump it up to an amazing 95 rating for me.

I originally played Skyrim on the Xbox 360 and I really enjoyed it. However, after playing for 100 hours in does become rather stale and boring. Personally, I prefer the Fallout series as, in my opinion, the world of Fallout has more atmosphere and has a much more unique setting then that of the Elder Scrolls series. Personally, I can't see why the vanilla Skyrim is held in such a high regard. I mean the PS3 version still doesn't work properly.

However, I later bought Skyrim on the PC and my god the mods! Just the other day I was fighting Thomas the tank engine with a Pulse Rifle, whilst dressed as Master Chief, whilst also being helped by Garrus from Mass Effect and Raiden from Metal Gear Solid. To put things into perspective, the original Skyrim is around 5.7gb in size and my Skyrim is 45gb in size! I have spent hundreds of hours playing the PC version of Skyrim and I love it. The mods in Skyrim truly do make it an entirely different game and makes the PC version of the game much more fun and enjoyable. Plus the game looks amazing with an ENB installed. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm now going to go and fly across Skyrim on a floating boat whilst a bear with a guitar plays rock music to me.