• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Jerjer

The elders scrolls online beta review

45 posts in this topic

I am the only one who saw that the video : The elders scrolls online beta review :  was made private ?!?!

What happened ?

I am the only one who saw that the video : The elders scrolls online beta review :  was made private ?!?!

What happened ?

he's making it better quality, should be back up soon. and i hope he doesn't run into NDA issues...

I also saw it, and Joe you made some mistakes. Ones that have very much upset me, I hesitate to call them "lies" but I think you were misinformed; especially by those you were playing with.

Polaris just uploaded a video with real in game beta footage so im guessing the NDA for certain press or just for those videos is lifted. My guess is Zenimax is trying to compete with the new Everquest game that lifted its NDA the day after they started to let people into the alpha. The reason i say this is when SOE started to let people into the alpha people started to yell at Zenimax for having such harsh NDA rules. Now this is all just speculation and guessing so i could be completely wrong but im pretty sure.

The TESO twitter did say press were going to get permission to do a review. 

https://twitter.com/TESOnline/statuses/431465429349842944

Read hands-on impressions of  #ESO beta from the press starting tomorrow at 10:00AM EST! Testers: remember ESO is still under NDA.

I did see Joe's review before it went private. He said he got an email about making a video. Apparently it had some rules, one of them being 'You are only alowed to show 15 min of beta footage' or something along those lines.

I am not going to spoil Joe's verdict for you guys. You will just have to wait for it to be back up.

Polaris had a video up but that has most likely gone private as well. Maybe youtubers have a separate date?

I question the quality of a review made only hours after the beta has started, judging by what he said on twitter sounds like it's gonna be more of a rant about 15 dollar subscription fees.

I'm sorry Commander, I have every faith in you but I have to be honest.

That's kind of how it turned out; with some circular logic too (such as "Doesn' feel like an Elder Scrolls game", "It feels like Skyrim online"). But I'm guessing that it's actually recorded from the first weekend beta back in January.

I think  a person has to put a good 6-8 hours and get past the original zone, AND pass level 10 to fully experience what it has to offer, before making a review on it. But first impressions are fine.

judging by what he said on twitter sounds like it's gonna be more of a rant about 15 dollar subscription fees.

So, not something i'm going to be interested in listening to.

I'm all for the sub fee.

Judge Lazar likes this

When Joe was talking about the whole travel time between quests being to long   he probably never used the way shrine fast travel  system that Zenimax publicly announced a while back that would be in game. As far as i know its also in  the beta Joe probably just never noticed it.

They should have just called it "Skyrim Online". They used the same U.I. and even some of the same weapon models.

When Joe was talking about the whole travel time between quests being to long   he probably never used the way shrine fast travel  system that Zenimax publicly announced a while back that would be in game. As far as i know its also in  the beta Joe probably just never noticed it.

Yes it's there .... as are mounts.

He did say there were horses but they were really expensive. Now what Joe considers expensive i dont really know but im sure its not to bad. He will probably do a follow up video further addressing both of the these points and the whole in between quest travel time.

He did say there were horses but they were really expensive.

Can't say much due to NDA balls but yes, yes they are expensive.

Judge Lazar likes this

I think that after you reach the level requirements for the cool stuff like pvp and what not then the game would feel better. Also, having friends to play with you is cool.

Watched it, disagreed with a hell of a lot that was said.

Fuck NDA, I can't say anything about any of the points raised. 

The prison and the starter zone don't really show much. You need to get out of those and get to the third area. 

Although, watching that reminds me of why I don't watch live streams or lets plays. You know when you watch someone play and they make silly little mistakes like taking too much damage for the mobs in the area or they go the wrong way or they just generally don't play how you'd like? Yeah, I end up talking to my monitor and telling it what I would have done and my wife looks at me like i'm nucking futs.

Richie313 likes this

Like LoreMaster said, the video is a first impression, not a review. Unless I heard incorrectly, Joe can't show more than 15 minutes of gameplay or past level 15 so he's going to be limited on what he can show. Regardless, if the beginning of the game was boring, empty, and unimpressive, then that's exactly what the beginning of the game was. Most people would put the "hook" at the beginning of a game/story/book/taco; a lot of MMOs seem to miss that memo and try to set up a story that doesn't actually involve you instead. Like letting you "join a fight" in so far as you pick off some stragglers. Wouldn't it be cool if you started off in the middle of an intense, large-scale war? The kind of war they would put in a cutscene, except you actually get to do something. It was great fun in Guild Wars 2 going through the very first hour or so in the Sylvari prologue and killing a massive, unique dragon, even if the dragon was ultimately a pushover. That put me into the game in a big way. I didn't see anything impressive in the first few hours of Skyrim Online from Joe's first impressions though so I would say his thoughts on it are pretty accurate for a first impression. Sure, maybe the game is better after you play it for 10-20 hours, but why should you have play (and pay) through bad or boring in order to get to something better? Why not make the beginning good too? Having a game, especially one as big and expensive as an MMO, start off slow is like having to eat dog food before you can have steak. Of course, this is still a beta so they could make that a lot better, and I hope they do.

Meh GW2 still looks better than ESO in my opinion, they should have made the game only B2P instead charging an extra 15$ to play the game.

Ysnar likes this

Joe was saying how the story was boring, maybe that's because he was SKIPPING all the dialogue (I understand why though). As someone who has got as far into the story as they can in the beta, believe me it is excellent.

As for the "nothing in between quest locations", clearly Joe didn't notice/run across more quest givers but they are there. If you start at a city and intend to go to a quest quite the trek away, you'll come across loads more quests on the way. Also the exploration of the beautiful world was more than enough for me.

Oh damn again with the attacks that drain no stamina (or at least it seems like it doesn't)? As for the limited loot i kind of like it except for the quest items. Another thing, the beast races look like they were downgraded to a level between Oblivion and Skyrim, those argonian tales looked awful.

I actually quite enjoyed my time with the MMO. Might have been because it's not another WoW clone. I still think that Joe shouldn't call that as ''Review'', since reviewing game in beta is like reviewing a partially built car; it's not a surprise if it's going to break few times, or if you're feeling cold, since there isn't windshield. In terms of question, I was positively surprised that most of the quests have these little story lines, like some elf who had to get into one of the dwemer ruins, and an orc who's mother wanted him to become fighter instead of smith. Instead of making boring ''Go here and kill 10 creatures X'' we actually got quests that felt like quests. The combat was kinda meh, but this is Elder Scrolls were talking about, and the combat has never really been great. I would still criticize the game of its graphics, because the game looks like something from 2008. I've seen better looking games on PS3, but I guess the fact that it's MMO has something to do with it.

Overall, I was really surprised how good the game was. I might have had very low standards for the MMO, so I'm just thinking that it's good, but I did enjoy my time with the beta.

(I'm really hoping that there will be new edition of Lusty Argonian maid)

I am eagerly awaiting the PC release so i can really see how poorly it will be reviewed. I may be wrong but i cant see this getting much praise by reviewers.

Oh damn again with the attacks that drain no stamina (or at least it seems like it doesn't)? As for the limited loot i kind of like it except for the quest items. Another thing, the beast races look like they were downgraded to a level between Oblivion and Skyrim, those argonian tales looked awful.

Joe's friends were talking out of their arse at that point. Loot is individualised for all players, meaning even if you're in a team you will get your own loot, same with quest items. When not in a group you can get loot from an enemy fighting someone else, but only if you make a major contribution to the fight.

I too, felt that the quests had actually rather interesting storylines to it. There was an Orc chieftains' daughter who didn't want to get married, and stopping this corrupt official, and preventing the return of people from the spirit world. The loot system as Humphrey Bogart above me said, is way different from what Joe's friends explained. At any rate, I think I would actually play it for one month, just to explore Tamriel and its beauty. Those who've played it gotta admit that it's pretty darn nice looking (from a design point of view, not graphics, which I felt were mediocre).