• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Variloh

Why does the mainstream media consistently belittle and attack gaming and its industry?

30 posts in this topic

Hello AJSA

After the success of my 24 hour stream last saturday, and the generally well received section where i talked about Nintendo and its diffrent treatment it gets in the gaming community (how its ignored in the console wars unfairly) and the fact that i love not only gaming but inteligent debates and discussions about its very real impact it has on the world ive decided to do this section regularly on my twitch channel ( www.twitch.tv/variloh ).

The first topic i would like us to tackle is: Why does the mainstream media consistently belittle and attack gaming and its industry? 

What do i mean, well, as we all know, the mainstream media doesn't really respect gamer or gaming. To them, we are all "nerds playing in a basement" and the only moment we hear them talk about an industry and a community they havent really bothered analizeing is when they want to pin something negative on it.

Violence in videogames.

Now i could go into a semi rage about this but insted il show you this link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26049333

That is the latest report ive seen regarding the videogame industry and you guessed it, its about violence in videogames and its gonna make you upset.

So the point of this post is that i will be talking about this topic referencing this article of course and i would like to know your opinions. I will stream this Thursday at 9:00 Pm CET. I will play a "violent game" and discuss this topic in depth. I encourage you to leave your opinion as i may read it in the stream and maybe go and follow my chanel www.twitch.tv/variloh and be a part of the debate.

See you soon! Post to your hearts content

Years ago it was television and movies. Before that it was books. Before that it was cave paintings.

Point is, somebody will always blame something, no need to get upset over it. The kind of  people that take notice of things like that aren't of any interest. They pick up a copy of the Daily Mail, flick on FOX news and grumble about "political correctness" (although I do bitch about that too, it's gone crazy in some regards) and how the entertainment industry has destroyed the world.

But on the other hand, I have no interest in the people that get upset over it either. 

Neither extreme of that debate is going to get anywhere. Media will still blame something, morons will agree and more morons will argue about it.

Meanwhile, i'll be sat in the middle of that hilarious cluster fuck, laughing at both sides while gaming away.

I agree with Gomly somewhat. You see in a way Video games are competing with other forms of media. Think back to other new forms of media and how they were treated by the old. For example Elvis and the Beatles are considered legends today however at their time mainstream media constantly bashed at these people for doing things differently. Video games are just the newest form of media and as history has shown the new forms are always the ones to get bashed the hardest. I feel like it's starting to die down as the industry is growing and mainstream media can't afford to bash video games as much as they used to, however it will probably not completely die until either we are all gamer's or a new form of media comes around. TB released a video about a year ago criticizing how the media blames mass shootings on video games, if you are interested in the topic I recommend you watch it.

Well one competition two its easier for medi er I mean news no I mean media cause thats what news is now media to blame videogames for whats wrong with this country then blaming something or one that fills their pockets.

Because news sites (and a lot of people) have a hard time understanding that correlation =/= causation.

Because it's a gimmicky thing to older people who run newsites. While yes giving a six year old COD and a mic and leave him alone with it for 4 hurs every day is going to mess up him, that's the parents fault. It's like blaming a m-rated movie for "corrupting our poor youth" when there parents gave them the movie. Oh, what, they do that.

As for why they do it, it's an easy target. It's still a new form of media and that is always crapped on by stupid people. As for when the artical says that videogames keep people from social interaction well have you been to a teenage party lately? Most people are on there phones "talking" to poeple while ignoring everyone around them. In a way many forms of gaming encourage social interaction. Games like MMO's and some fps's have clans or guilds. Wiki's are made by fans for fans and require people to help each other.

When people say spending all your time (as in like 6 or so hours a day every day)  will effect your social life in a negative way, well there right. But who honestly plays a games all day every day? While maybe playing a new game for along time when you first get it is ok, but never leaviing your house will mess you up. But that is the same for things like tv and the internet. Even watching the news all day will mess you up, so id I was a news person I'd get off my hign horse when it comes things you don't know about.   

They do it to sell ad space for money. Fear-mongering is always profitable thanks to the mindless masses.

Years ago it was television and movies. Before that it was books. Before that it was cave paintings.

To expand on that line of thought:

IrishRogue likes this

First off thanks for taking the time to comment this forum and hopefully join me this thursday.

You all point out interesting ideas. I would like to present a new one. Perhaps this actually points to a bigger issue. The difference that Books, TV and other forms of expression have on this particular industry is that despite criticism, nobody challenged the legitimacy of these industries. You see, i believe that the media doesnt see our community as something respectable in general. When John Lennon was shot, catcher of the Rye received a lot of criticism but nobody challenged books in general. That same logic does not hold true in our industry. Same  goes with TV, Movies etc. It seems to me that video games get a very unique and special treatment when it comes to the general public. Rap may have been controversial at one point, but it still had its share of respect, and once it became mainstream, all criticism of it lost traction. Videogames have been around for a long time yet the attitude towards them doesn't get better, in fact, the opposite can be said to be true. Keep commenting guys :)

First off thanks for taking the time to comment this forum and hopefully join me this thursday.

You all point out interesting ideas. I would like to present a new one. Perhaps this actually points to a bigger issue. The difference that Books, TV and other forms of expression have on this particular industry is that despite criticism, nobody challenged the legitimacy of these industries. You see, i believe that the media doesnt see our community as something respectable in general. When John Lennon was shot, catcher of the Rye received a lot of criticism but nobody challenged books in general. That same logic does not hold true in our industry. Same  goes with TV, Movies etc. It seems to me that video games get a very unique and special treatment when it comes to the general public. Rap may have been controversial at one point, but it still had its share of respect, and once it became mainstream, all criticism of it lost traction. Videogames have been around for a long time yet the attitude towards them doesn't get better, in fact, the opposite can be said to be true. Keep commenting guys :)

Part of the reason why our entire industry is criticized is because the people who are doing so are only seeing part of it. What I mean is that instead of seeing games like Civ 5 and The Testament Of Sherlock Holmes all these people see are games like COD and Battlefield. Or at least that is all they want to see since stories on those games are what make them money. Think about it when is the last time you saw a news story on the winners of the latest DOTA 2 tournament or how popular Starcraft 2 is in South Korea, my guess is never.

Point is, somebody will always blame something, no need to get upset over it. The kind of  people that take notice of things like that aren't of any interest. They pick up a copy of the Daily Mail, flick on FOX news and grumble about "political correctness" (although I do bitch about that too, it's gone crazy in some regards) and how the entertainment industry has destroyed the world.

But on the other hand, I have no interest in the people that get upset over it either. 

Neither extreme of that debate is going to get anywhere. Media will still blame something, morons will agree and more morons will argue about it.

Meanwhile, i'll be sat in the middle of that hilarious cluster fuck, laughing at both sides while gaming away.

You forgot about metal and its many genres around 80's. I've seen plenty of documentaries on the music of that time (metal specifically) and it was just as batshit crazy with heavy metal as it is now with gaming. Gaming and gamers are just a scapegoat made by the media in order to raise their ratings by saying what overprotective parents want to hear. News have sunk so far into shit that I hardly believe in anything that I read or hear, or watch by any of those massive news companies that are owned by even bigger companies. Their idea of blowing out of proportion every single thing that might raise their ratings is just ridiculous. "That one guy said that. We need to tell the world about it and add our own useless input on it! Also, don't forget to twist the facts! The public loves when we do that!" - that's how I imagine the daily work of media companies.

easy and obvious target

only 5+ years ago it was rap music

I don't ever remember rap music being controversial. Not to the scale of gaming or, as I pointed out above, to heavy metal back in 80's.

compared to the other "media" videogames are the youngest of the bunch. just wanted to add that.

sorry in advance for double post.

I don't ever remember rap music being controversial. Not to the scale of gaming or, as I pointed out above, to heavy metal back in 80's.

must be an "only in murica" thing because the media "widely believed" it promoted gang violence and other such things.

They'll always blame someone 

First it was books, then it was comics, then it was the Radio, then it was Rock music, then it was TV, then it was rap music, then it was films, now its video games. Like it or not the media will always try and use what can only be described as "Scare Tactics"  to either sell more copies or push an agenda.

I don't think video games cause violence, and anyone who does needs to take a look at the research.  The main culprit is easy access to firearms/weapons(outside the UK)  and difficult access to help for those that need it. 

Right now I am suffering from zero self esteem, and anger issues.(Which I am getting help with in a few weeks)  Gaming wasn't the cause of this.   Mental health issues happen, whether your a gamer or not. 

Variloh likes this

First off, good for you that your finding help, that takes a lot of bravery ilage2. Now you mentioned comics, you see, the difference is all those other forms of media have had the turbulent past you all speak of but have come to garner the respect they diserve. Comics would be the exception. Comics arent really respected by the outside world, rap artists win grammys, tv shows emmys. and these things are wildly respected and love. However when was the last time you saw on the news the latest comic book award ceremony covered in the manner the Oscars are?  Comics after so many years may no longer be as critizied as they once were, but they havent garnered any respect either. That is what worrys me about videogames. Yes eventually (hopefully) the talking heads will stop yet unlike other forms of media and entertainment i am very skeptical it will gain the respect it deserves. When was rap accepted? when it went mainstream and started making a TON of $$$. However gaming has been mainstream for a while, hell, in 2010 it made more money worldwide then hollywood and the music industry! (il post the source in a while). So do you believe this is just another trend that will die or is this something we should be ad least a little worried about? if a few people say bad things about something and the public only hears there version, eventually the public opinion will sway (look at global warming, in the USA the amount of people who "dont believe in it" has risen to 23%) I belive the rules arent uniform for all forms of media and entertainment. Youtubers have a huge sway over our generations opinion (look at angry joe and his reviews for example) yet do they get any real respect outside of youtube? These things trouble me. Keep commenting guys! 

I love showing this picture: 

video-game-chart-no-trendline.jpg

'Nuff said.

The difference that Books, TV and other forms of expression have on this particular industry is that despite criticism, nobody challenged the legitimacy of these industries. You see, i believe that the media doesnt see our community as something respectable in general.

Again, that is a non issue.

From someone who has been gaming since, very literally, gaming first began I have never felt the need to justify my gaming as "legitimate" or "art".

Whether it is art or not is an argument for another time but i'm secure in myself to not feel challenged or upset every time someone mocks gaming. That and i'm a big guy, nobody does it to my face.

Also you have to remember that music, books and television are all a hell of a lot older than video games. They went through all this for a hell of a lot longer.

Elvis, The Drifters and the Beatles were all getting grief from the 50's through the 60's. Pretty sure other bands had it a lot earlier but music in general has been getting stick for "satanic purposes" for a damn long time. Television was getting it since the day it first went live as the "demon box". Books got shit for centuries. Even radio had it's time.

Compared to other forms of entertainment, gaming is still in it's infancy. It's only been household for just over 30 years. It's going to be the media whipping post until something new comes along.

As for your comment about Youtubers. Of course they don't get "respect" outside of Youtube. Most of them don't get "respect" inside Youtube. 

Gaming is a culture like punk, film noir fans and even Potter heads. People outside of those cultures don't much care for those in them. I've got no interest in the "pop" culture for example. 

One of the reasons that gaming doesn't get taken seriously is mainly due to the people involved. Look at how gamers react to certain things. Threats of rape, death threats and general immaturity .... yeah, we're going to be looked at as "legitimate" with fuck wits like that at the helm.

Another is a point you bring up, and it's one that I find to be a genuine concern in my eyes. People being swayed by Youtubers. 

Seems certain people can't think for themselves and blindly follow what e-celebs say or do. People inside the gaming community can't take idiots like that seriously, how do you expect the general public too?

Emphase likes this

Its pretty much just the Media going on and off about how everything is bad. People take things to seriously and they try to eliminate something that has nothing to do with anything. Some kid randomly gets murdered? Well we found out on his Xbox Live account he played over 2 Hours of the game known as Call of Duty for every week of his life so far. He must be some sort of killer right? Video games are literally meant to show you the horror of killing and destruction, Sometimes it may be fun but no one randomly walks off from their television and slams his fist into a random person face and throws them out of their car to drive off just because a Video Game did it. Im sorry but it just gets me mad that the Media/Government want to blame Video Games for things like Mass-Shootings...

Variloh likes this

Again, that is a non issue.

From someone who has been gaming since, very literally, gaming first began I have never felt the need to justify my gaming as "legitimate" or "art".

Whether it is art or not is an argument for another time but i'm secure in myself to not feel challenged or upset every time someone mocks gaming. That and i'm a big guy, nobody does it to my face.

Also you have to remember that music, books and television are all a hell of a lot older than video games. They went through all this for a hell of a lot longer.

Elvis, The Drifters and the Beatles were all getting grief from the 50's through the 60's. Pretty sure other bands had it a lot earlier but music in general has been getting stick for "satanic purposes" for a damn long time. Television was getting it since the day it first went live as the "demon box". Books got shit for centuries. Even radio had it's time.

Compared to other forms of entertainment, gaming is still in it's infancy. It's only been household for just over 30 years. It's going to be the media whipping post until something new comes along.

As for your comment about Youtubers. Of course they don't get "respect" outside of Youtube. Most of them don't get "respect" inside Youtube. 

Gaming is a culture like punk, film noir fans and even Potter heads. People outside of those cultures don't much care for those in them. I've got no interest in the "pop" culture for example. 

One of the reasons that gaming doesn't get taken seriously is mainly due to the people involved. Look at how gamers react to certain things. Threats of rape, death threats and general immaturity .... yeah, we're going to be looked at as "legitimate" with fuck wits like that at the helm.

Another is a point you bring up, and it's one that I find to be a genuine concern in my eyes. People being swayed by Youtubers. 

Seems certain people can't think for themselves and blindly follow what e-celebs say or do. People inside the gaming community can't take idiots like that seriously, how do you expect the general public too?

Hello again gomly. 

First off thank you for shearing your opinion! However I fundamentally disagree with a couple of things you said. In my opinion, this is not a "non issue" for many reasons. Personally, i love gaming and its community. Im doing a masters in Software engineering in Europe just to pursue my dream of becomeing a indie game developer. Perhapes it is because of this love i cant take your attitude on this and not care what is said by the outside. You see, i believe developeing a game IS art, in its own way. What is said and believed by the general public does affect us in many ways and i feel it is our duty to defend our community. Some of the effects are banned or censored games. I encourage you to do research on the power the outside can have over our community and il give you a place to start http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games a simple wikipedia article on banned games in different parts of the world. You see, this is not and issue about minding that the general public consider us "nerds" or "outcast", these things i agree with you, arent really important (to us as grown men), but this is bigger then a couple of bullys pointing fingers. All these studies that they keep doing and bringing to the public light well eventually sway public opinion and if we dont defend gaming and dont offer an alternative view, the general public will accept it as fact, and if that happens, ill effects will follow. 

Another point is I believe i have already explained why i believe that gaming is not following the same trayectory other forms of entertainment have for various reasons. T.V was the "devil box" for a very short time in comparison to how long ive had to hear the "videogames makes you a social outcast". I agree Videogames are in there infancy but i am skeptical that they are following the "normal trend" if such a thing even exists. 

As for Youtubers, i believe your comments do not represent the majority of youtubers i was alluding too. Youtubers with the power to change opinions are those who have mass followings, not the troll who posts videos off of his webcam. In fact, you are in a webpage made by a youtuber who through the presentation of evidence and well thought out opinions, has swayed many people to buy or not buy products, and in my opinion, for the better. I do agree that follwing people blindly is not good, but i also believe most Youtubers i have eluded to deserve more respect.

Its pretty much just the Media going on and off about how everything is bad. People take things to seriously and they try to eliminate something that has nothing to do with anything. Some kid randomly gets murdered? Well we found out on his Xbox Live account he played over 2 Hours of the game known as Call of Duty for every week of his life so far. He must be some sort of killer right? Video games are literally meant to show you the horror of killing and destruction, Sometimes it may be fun but no one randomly walks off from their television and slams his fist into a random person face and throws them out of their car to drive off just because a Video Game did it. Im sorry but it just gets me mad that the Media/Government want to blame Video Games for things like Mass-Shootings...

I agree fullheartedly with you, there is a ugly trend to link these tragedys with our industry vs things like gun control (mostly in the USA as a previous person posted in a graph.

I will be debating these topics in a stream this Thursday and i encourge you all to show up and support me www.twitch.tv/variloh

From my perspective there is a lot wrong in this thread.

Firstly, video games have been around since the 1970's - there were mainstreamed in the late 70's.  Some of you talk as though it all started with the Xbox.  We've had around 40 years of games consoles being under the TV. 

I don't ever read the media attacking the industry.  They may get up in arms about a specific game, but they also do that about specific movies, TV Shows, even commercials and books.  It's no different. 

There are some truisms in life we should all just accept.  One of those is - never ever waste your time talking about gun control with an American.  There is simply no point whatsoever.  They have a mental block on the issue, it is impossible to engage with them on the subject.  Seriously, you surely must have something better to do with your time.

The media get bent out of sjape because hyperbole sells papers and grabs viewers.  If you all stopped buying papers, and stopped watching the media, it would go away.  Don't support it, and it becomes irrelevant.

The original post talks about "respect" - but what does that mean?  It gets a lot of good coverage - what else do you want?  CES got great coverage, for example.  New technology is often covered on, say, the BBC.  Game reviews are hardly difficult to come by.  What is this "respect" you want?

Honestly?  The original post is guilty of the very thing it complains about.  It takes some isolatec cases, gets angry about it and rants, and doesn't take into account the broader picture.

Oh well......

Gone likes this

T.V was the "devil box" for a very short time in comparison to how long ive had to hear the "videogames makes you a social outcast". 

Tell me this is a joke buddy?

Television has had grief since the 1920's...... It's been labelled as "the demon box" for over 90 years..... Gaming has been household for about 30-40.... A third of the time.

And for the first 10 years of gaming, before it became more wide spread, it didn't get grief at all. To be fair, video gaming didn't start getting this much attention until internet became common place. During my childhood, we didn't have the internet and we didn't have this much attention.

Video gaming was never a "nerd" or "geek" thing. When it started, it was for everyone.

I don't need to research, I already know. As I said, i've been a gamer since, very literally, gaming began. I started when Atari was still massive before the crash.

What you show there is exactly the same thing that happens in every media. Banned movies, banned songs, banned tv shows and banned books. 

Movies still get blamed for violence now. Childs Play was blamed for a murder here in the UK a few years back for example.

Nothing mentioned about gaming is any different to any other form of media. They all have their nay sayers. Nothing the gaming community says will change public opinion. 

The gaming community will not get any sort of decent recognition while we have the massive amount of gob shite morons vocalising their pathetic opinons.

How on earth do you expect average Joe public to take the gaming community seriously when the press is full of the rape threats and death threats that some of the men and women in our community get by the bucket load.

That's not the media to blame, that's the gaming community. They are the ones making the threats and voicing their idiotic thoughts.

The media is just doing what the media always does, making money by sensationalising.

It's going to do it no matter what you say.

30 years ago, a hobby that I most enjoy: tabletop role playing, was actually considered VIOLENT AND SATANIC to conservative families due to mass media portraying it as some devilish hobby that teaches youths to kill, loot and cast spells for mystical deities.

With that said, it's always going to be something that the media loooves to put the blame on. Even books used to be blamed! Some of the most revered classics written were once thought to be disgusting and un-publishable. 

Its a convenient scapegoat to tack all these incidents on because its misunderstood, some people don't do the research and find out what its all about (i.e they dismiss it as 'kiddie games'), some go the extra mile and read about it (kudos to them) and others are just blatantly ignorant and resort to having an Xbox 360 as a nanny for their kids.. only to then rage about why their kid has 'changed':

Its quite disappointing really, it reveals a whole new level of ignorance... how can you expect them to be informed about a niche topic like video games when some people just lap up the processed and censored information that comes from fox, abc, cnn and the likes without pursuing other sources?  How can you expect them to be informed when some of them are the same people that blindly support outrageous things like internet censorship and surveillance to 'save our children' or music industry-grade copyright to 'feed our starving artists'?

Variloh likes this

Mainstream media attacks games because (in my perspective), in a video game, what the media thinks is, when you do a particular thing in a game, for example, in Grand Theft Auto, you shoot an innocent guy in the head for no good valid reason, their mindset is that you, the player wants to do this particular thing in real life. Now video games is a good example of interactive media, you control the "actor", you do things that involves you thinking about doing the stuff in a virtual, non existing world. That's why it gets backlashed by the dumb media because the things people do in the real world, the sinister things that one man can do like murder, rape, harassment can be all found in major video games today. They don't look over into it, they just blame video games on point blank range, like instantly there's a murder happened somewhere? BOOM blame a Call of Duty game. A carnapping took place blocks away? Blame GTA for it! Because video games is now a common thing in this world, they somehow insert vgames into their news reports for god only knows what reasons. They love to blame on stuff, and video games is one of those. They don't look over evidences or the facts or the other "common sense" stuff. They just love to blame blame blame.

Variloh likes this

From my perspective there is a lot wrong in this thread.

Firstly, video games have been around since the 1970's - there were mainstreamed in the late 70's.  Some of you talk as though it all started with the Xbox.  We've had around 40 years of games consoles being under the TV. 

I don't ever read the media attacking the industry.  They may get up in arms about a specific game, but they also do that about specific movies, TV Shows, even commercials and books.  It's no different. 

There are some truisms in life we should all just accept.  One of those is - never ever waste your time talking about gun control with an American.  There is simply no point whatsoever.  They have a mental block on the issue, it is impossible to engage with them on the subject.  Seriously, you surely must have something better to do with your time.

The media get bent out of sjape because hyperbole sells papers and grabs viewers.  If you all stopped buying papers, and stopped watching the media, it would go away.  Don't support it, and it becomes irrelevant.

The original post talks about "respect" - but what does that mean?  It gets a lot of good coverage - what else do you want?  CES got great coverage, for example.  New technology is often covered on, say, the BBC.  Game reviews are hardly difficult to come by.  What is this "respect" you want?

Honestly?  The original post is guilty of the very thing it complains about.  It takes some isolatec cases, gets angry about it and rants, and doesn't take into account the broader picture.

Oh well......

Hello Ligeti and thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

I agree with you that gaming has been main stream for a while and its a good point to add to this discussion. 

However i do feel that you did not understand my original post and encourage you to go read it again. There is no intent to rage and the link (a bbc link i might add) was just an example to get the topic rolling, i dont really see any signs of rage. As per respect, i believe my original and subsequent posts have made very clear that the point im referring to is that videogames, whether it be as a hobby, a job etc are not considered as legitimate as the other forms of entertainment ive mentioned. As per your comment about the broader picture, i highly recomend you re read my comments as that is precisly the point. Its not the same as other forms of media, when a single game is attack, out entire industry is dragged into it, the article i shared in the OP is not on any specific game, its not an attack on Call of Duty orMortal Kombat.

Tell me this is a joke buddy?

Television has had grief since the 1920's...... It's been labelled as "the demon box" for over 90 years..... Gaming has been household for about 30-40.... A third of the time.

And for the first 10 years of gaming, before it became more wide spread, it didn't get grief at all. To be fair, video gaming didn't start getting this much attention until internet became common place. During my childhood, we didn't have the internet and we didn't have this much attention.

Video gaming was never a "nerd" or "geek" thing. When it started, it was for everyone.

I don't need to research, I already know. As I said, i've been a gamer since, very literally, gaming began. I started when Atari was still massive before the crash.

What you show there is exactly the same thing that happens in every media. Banned movies, banned songs, banned tv shows and banned books. 

Movies still get blamed for violence now. Childs Play was blamed for a murder here in the UK a few years back for example.

Nothing mentioned about gaming is any different to any other form of media. They all have their nay sayers. Nothing the gaming community says will change public opinion. 

The gaming community will not get any sort of decent recognition while we have the massive amount of gob shite morons vocalising their pathetic opinons.

How on earth do you expect average Joe public to take the gaming community seriously when the press is full of the rape threats and death threats that some of the men and women in our community get by the bucket load.

That's not the media to blame, that's the gaming community. They are the ones making the threats and voicing their idiotic thoughts.

The media is just doing what the media always does, making money by sensationalising.

It's going to do it no matter what you say.

Thank you for answering Gomly. 

You make a interesting and valid point that some members of our community take on concerning attitudes and agree 100% we as a community are responsible for that. 

However you fail to see the man point i have been making to you the past posts and i encourage you to re-read them. As i have already stated, yes there are attacks on other forms of media, yes all forms of media go through growing pains mainly out of fear of change from the public. The point im making is that it does seem videogames are going through a different process altogether. It saddens me you refuse to read more about it as you just said, but if you would, you would notice not much has changed for the better from a outsiders perspective in the last decade. Its easy to find studies about how videogames have X or Y ill effect published on some big news site. Its not the same case for the opposite case. As per TV (Which is NOT known as the demon box anymore, so it hasent been the demon box for 90 years...), movies, books, i do not agree it has been the same for videogames as all of those other forms of entertainment/art.  And btw, each of those you mentioned have isolated cases of criticism but are generally well respected. (the emmys have been around since 1950 and have been well viewed/respected since its creation) . I do not believe the same holds true in gameing, when an attack on mortal kombat happens (every time they release a game) the attacks are usually on the industry and not just on the game.

Its a convenient scapegoat to tack all these incidents on because its misunderstood, some people don't do the research and find out what its all about (i.e they dismiss it as 'kiddie games'), some go the extra mile and read about it (kudos to them) and others are just blatantly ignorant and resort to having an Xbox 360 as a nanny for their kids.. only to then rage about why their kid has 'changed':

Its quite disappointing really, it reveals a whole new level of ignorance... how can you expect them to be informed about a niche topic like video games when some people just lap up the processed and censored information that comes from fox, abc, cnn and the likes without pursuing other sources?  How can you expect them to be informed when some of them are the same people that blindly support outrageous things like internet censorship and surveillance to 'save our children' or music industry-grade copyright to 'feed our starving artists'?

You are correct Ysnar, and what is worse is that this group of people are the one making the big decisions.