• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Baylor

A Discussion on Preorders: Do Developers Have the Right to Reward Faithful Followers?

23 posts in this topic

I know Joe is against preorder bonuses because he believes they are risky and are merely a money-grab by developers. However, I typically think that people who are willing to pre-order games show that they trust the developer with their money enough to the point where they're willing to give the developer money in advance for the game. Therefore, I believe developers have the right to reward those loyal consumers with preorder bonuses. If you 100% trust a developer and believe the game will be a hit, then you should be able to voice your trust by reserving a copy of the game. True, there have been cons such as Aliens: Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem Forever, however, there are good examples too, such as Nintendo with any Pokemon title or Bungie with Halo. The real question I believe comes down to the developer and how much you trust them with your money.

I don't see a problem with them, so long as the bonuses aren't game changing. Mainly cosmetic items, or bonus missions would be best in my opinion. Things you can live without essentially.

Then there's cases like Elder Scrolls Online, and the Collectors Edition exclusive race, which I think promotes an unhealthy attitude in game. Where you can buy exclusivity and the likes. There's nothing wrong with showing that you've been a supporter for a game for a long time, and that you invest in the developers/franchise etc. But you shouldn't have to buy content that'll only be available to a select few.

Rights wise the developers can do whatever they please. Legally, they can give out whatever items they want, at whatever prices they see fit.

Morally is another thing, and It's why i take these things on a case-by-case basis.

Emphase likes this

it all depends, i haven't ever had a preorder bonus sway me to get a game i didn't want or not want right away, but if im getting the game anyway at launch then i guess its just iceing on the cake to get a extra cosmetic thing to brag about to friends.

but all in all i could live with or without them.....but it does give you a fuzzy feeling to have it, even if that feeling only lasts about 10 minutes.

You confuse me somewhat when you use the word "right". Rights don't come into it - developers can do whatever they wanr with a release. Consumers are able to make up their own mind on what they buy. Issues of rights only comes into question when the developer doesn't deliver something it said it would, or a game simply doesn't work.

Most people on this site take their games far more seriously than I do. I really couldn't care less about cosmetic changes such as a uniform, etc. No way I'd pay extra for it, or feel compelled to order early to get it.

I think developers are justified in offering incentives for pre-orders. I don't like store exclusives though. Still, it's not a right issue. I don't see any of it as a "money grab". Of course they're trying to maximize profits.

To be honest, I've been buying games for more than 20 years. One thing I've learned - you buy a game on release at your own risk. It is much - MUCH - better, to wait three months or so before buying a title. By then reviews are more accurate, patches are out, and online glitches are ironed out. The trouble is people want to grab the latest and greatest thing on day of release.

Take FIFA. I buy it every other year. I bought FIFA 13, and I skipped FIFA 14. Changes are too small from release to release, and the thing never works right when it's first released. If gamers could show more control, then they'd get better experiences, imo.

ActionPaz likes this

When it comes to preorders, rewarding is misleading because the game may very well be crap. Every preorder, even with a game series you like is a gamble. One I refuse to take.

It has nothing to do with rights or rewards or anything like that. It's a simple marketing scheme. They want your money, so they create an illusion of extra value to lure you into giving them your money sooner. Nowadays most preorder bonuses are eventually made available as dlc or bundle content anyway. 

For me it's easy: If I know, that I gona buy a game anyway, no matter how bad the reviews are, because I just want to see for myself, I preorder it. There is a new Zelda or a Starcraft 2 Add-On? Of corse I gona preorder it. For games which are not in a series or in a genre, that has a special place in my heart however, I would never go and preorder it.

I don't see a problem with them, so long as the bonuses aren't game changing. Mainly cosmetic items, or bonus missions would be best in my opinion. Things you can live without essentially.

Then there's cases like Elder Scrolls Online, and the Collectors Edition exclusive race, which I think promotes an unhealthy attitude in game. Where you can buy exclusivity and the likes. There's nothing wrong with showing that you've been a supporter for a game for a long time, and that you invest in the developers/franchise etc. But you shouldn't have to buy content that'll only be available to a select few.

Rights wise the developers can do whatever they please. Legally, they can give out whatever items they want, at whatever prices they see fit.

Morally is another thing, and It's why i take these things on a case-by-case basis.

I do agree with you for the most part, but about that exclusivity thing I kinda disagree. While, of course, making an entire race that can be pretty much of any faction or any other exclusivity that can change the game is ultimately a dick move by the publisher, it still is an exclusivity that the player can get by paying extra. Whether the customer at hand feels like that satisfies him is entirely up to him. I can see why people would get upset by such things, but do remember that exclusivity doesn't come free. All this talk kind of reminds me of spoiled kids who see that someone has some item, let's say a handheld console, and they themselves don't, they immediately demand it. Probably not the best comparison, but to me it just looks like that.

I do agree with you for the most part, but about that exclusivity thing I kinda disagree. While, of course, making an entire race that can be pretty much of any faction or any other exclusivity that can change the game is ultimately a dick move by the publisher, it still is an exclusivity that the player can get by paying extra. Whether the customer at hand feels like that satisfies him is entirely up to him. I can see why people would get upset by such things, but do remember that exclusivity doesn't come free. All this talk kind of reminds me of spoiled kids who see that someone has some item, let's say a handheld console, and they themselves don't, they immediately demand it. Probably not the best comparison, but to me it just looks like that.

The point is players should not have to pay extra for gameplay contents when they are already paying full price for a game and then a monthly fee on top of that. Save that exclusivity garbage for P2W games.

Only game i've pre ordered for a damn long time is ESO .... and that's only because they offered me 5 days early access if I did .... and I only want that because my wife goes on a training course at the end of March and i'll be bored.

I'm not a fan of paying for something I can't play right away .... the same reason I don't back Kickstarter projects.

But one thing I do find incredibly hilarious .... I see people complain about pre orders yet back kickstarter projects which are, essentially, the same fucking thing but with a far higher risk.

EQ501 and Emphase like this

People who support Kickstarter games and bash Pre-orders are the biggest hypocrites

The point is players should not have to pay extra for gameplay contents when they are already paying full price for a game and then a monthly fee on top of that. Save that exclusivity garbage for P2W games.

It's basically the same as saying that people shouldn't pay extra for a better lifestyle when they are already paying taxes. Of course you can argue that real life scenarios don't compare to gaming related scenarios, but the bottom line is the same.

People who support Kickstarter games and bash Pre-orders are the biggest hypocrites

Nope. Kickstarter games cannot be made unless they get the money. Pre-order games are already complete and they just want your money early.

Nope. Kickstarter games cannot be made unless they get the money. Pre-order games are already complete and they just want your money early.

But you are still paying for a product you know next to nothing about.

At least with a pre order you are certain to get a game. Anything can go wrong with kickstarter projects. 

It's basically the same as saying that people shouldn't pay extra for a better lifestyle when they are already paying taxes. Of course you can argue that real life scenarios don't compare to gaming related scenarios, but the bottom line is the same.

No, it's not the same. That's a absolutely terrible analogy. 

But you are still paying for a product you know next to nothing about.

At least with a pre order you are certain to get a game. Anything can go wrong with kickstarter projects. 

The difference is with kickstarter your contribution affects the development and with pre-order you are just paying early.

I have a really big issue with Pre-Orders because

• Region specific, in Metal Gear Rising different regions got different pre-order bonuses meaning that many people can't even experience the full game because they don't live in a certain region.
  • Retailer specific, Same as above 
  • Console specific pre-order bonuses.  A really bad move, because you chose to get one console over the other so you don't get to experience the complete package

With Pre-orders you are assured a game with kickstarter you might get a game... and a T-shirt

Only game i pre-ordered was The Witcher 2: Collectors edition, and i will also pre-order The Witcher 3: Collectors Edition as soon as it appears. Why? Because even when the launch of TW:2 was fail, CDP prooved that they are solid, good company and gave their clients free (and good quality) stuff.

I don't see a huge problem with it, because even if you don't like the game, you can still return it. And that's the biggest difference I see between Early Access and pre-ordering.

Either way, I rarely pre-order. I don't really care for bonuses all that much. 

Yes because Kickstarter and Pre-orders are the same thing.....

Either way Pre-Ordering is something that you shouldn't do, or well not whine around when you find out the game is garbage.