• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

TheMeatMissile

TITANFALL thoughts?

51 posts in this topic

Well as an arrogant pc master race person, I hate this game and pretty much every video game. If it doesn't have 64 player battles like battlefield it's obviously worthless trash. 6 vs 6 battles with bots? I'm not picking this up. I mean it's not the game mechanics and maps are built around that or anything.

Understandable.

Well, I won't be buying it. I do think Joe should have mentioned - as others have done in their reviews - that this was a trip paid for by the developer.....

The game looks crap, basically. Once in a Mech - sorry, Titan - the only difference from being a foot soldier is bigger guns. Look how often the Titans are destroyed.

I guess I don't see the point.

Yeah I have to kind of agree, being in the Titan really just looks like you are just a bigger soldier really with bigger guns, nothing special though we haven't seen the Ogre and that lighter Titan yet it seems. But the more I see it does just look like another shooter, just with mechs and parkour elements. It really doesn't look like it is different from other types of shooters and I'm trying to give it a chance but so far it just seems like another shooter.

Then I don't enjoy people saying it's the first time that infantry and mechs have mixed because really technically Starhawk did do it first, with the whole transforming planes into mechs and the DLC which added ground mechs. Just saying. Yes ones a third person shooter and ones an FPS but I'm just saying it isn't as new as people say it is.

I'm still of course going to give the game a shot if I get into the beta for PC but I just so far don't see what is with the hype for the game.

So from what I understand from you lot is that given the current evidence this is not the system seller they were hoping it to be?

Well like Joe said in his impression video, the game is available on 360 and PC as well so no I do not think it is the system seller that it is hyped to be when I can buy it for my PC.

Yeah I have to kind of agree, being in the Titan really just looks like you are just a bigger soldier really with bigger guns, nothing special though we haven't seen the Ogre and that lighter Titan yet it seems. But the more I see it does just look like another shooter, just with mechs and parkour elements. It really doesn't look like it is different from other types of shooters and I'm trying to give it a chance but so far it just seems like another shooter.

Then I don't enjoy people saying it's the first time that infantry and mechs have mixed because really technically Starhawk did do it first, with the whole transforming planes into mechs and the DLC which added ground mechs. Just saying. Yes ones a third person shooter and ones an FPS but I'm just saying it isn't as new as people say it is.

I'm still of course going to give the game a shot if I get into the beta for PC but I just so far don't see what is with the hype for the game.

One game i remember being able to do this was Battlefield 2142.

Gone too likes this

One game i remember being able to do this was Battlefield 2142.

Right. Battlefield 2142 had mechs and infantry. And is it me, but by watching Joe's stream of the game, Titanfall looks TOO easy?

It's a carbon copy of cod with the mechs and wall jumping as gimmicks so far... I dislike cod to be fair the released map layouts are exactly like cod which is pretty sad but maybe the new elements keep it interesting.  I'm also afraid it'll be annualized if it succeeds.

I have a lot of faith in Respawn, but very little faith in EA. I signed up for the beta, so hopefully I'll get in and be able to play it a little before I spend any money. But I'm definitely not buying it until I see some reviews and players' feedback.

Its a great game but I can picture the PC port being empty with nothing to do in 2 years.

I honestly give it a lot less time than that.

If it manages a year with decent population i'll come back here, do a handstand and shower myself with my own urine.

That has nothing to do with my dislike of the game. It's to do with the PC having an absolutely massive abundance of FPS games. Some of them are a hell of a lot better than what is offered there.

just a thought

imagine the amount of rip off "DLC" thats going to be released 

map packs, new mechs, new weapons, costumes etc.

eurgh!!!

It's a carbon copy of cod with the mechs and wall jumping as gimmicks so far... I dislike cod to be fair the released map layouts are exactly like cod which is pretty sad but maybe the new elements keep it interesting.  I'm also afraid it'll be annualized if it succeeds.

Your arguments are invalid and you should feel bad.

The mechs aren't just gimmicks, they're core mechanics. Claiming that mechs are just a gimmick is like claiming that vehicular warfare in BF is just a gimmick, or that realism in ARMA is just a gimmick.

Mechs are huge machines that can obliterare you with their massive weapons and literally stomp you to death. You can't go head-to-head against a mech if you're a foot soldier. You'll have to act smart, continuously scraping away their health while staying away from the line of fire.

If you're in a mech yourself, you'll have the pleasure of engaging in brutal battles against enemy mechs where you both just go wild on each other. At the same time, there are some tactics to it as you can dash to the sides, block incoming fire and even throw it back at your opponent. Also, allies can literally ride shotgun on your back while enemies can jump onto it and start sabotaging your mech, so teamwork is still the way to go for victory.

In short, the ability to fight as a mech or against one in an epic battle is something very few games can offer and pull off. CoD is not one of them.

And when it comes to wall jumping, claiming that it's just a gimmick is equally ridiculous. Wall jumping is going to create new paths and a sense of verticality on the map that you'll never see in CoD.

As for the map layout. How is it exactly like the one you see in CoD? Just because it happened to be smaller than what you find in Arma and without destructible environment?

That's bullshit.

Thanks to wall jumping and mechs (which, again, are core mechanics) the map layout will be greatly different from what you see in CoD.

I'm not a fan of CoD, but I get pissed whenever people see a game with great potential and IMMEDIATELY starts claiming it's a CoD-ripoff because the game had the fucking audacity to share a few basic mechanics.

pureimagination and Berserker like this

The mechs aren't just gimmicks, they're core mechanics. Claiming that mechs are just a gimmick is like claiming that vehicular warfare in BF is just a gimmick, or that realism in ARMA is just a gimmick.

Mechs are huge machines that can obliterare you with their massive weapons and literally stomp you to death. You can't go head-to-head against a mech if you're a foot soldier. You'll have to act smart, continuously scraping away their health while staying away from the line of fire.

If you're in a mech yourself, you'll have the pleasure of engaging in brutal battles against enemy mechs where you both just go wild on each other. At the same time, there are some tactics to it as you can dash to the sides, block incoming fire and even throw it back at your opponent. Also, allies can literally ride shotgun on your back while enemies can jump onto it and start sabotaging your mech, so teamwork is still the way to go for victory.

In short, the ability to fight as a mech or against one in an epic battle is something very few games can offer and pull off. CoD is not one of them.

And when it comes to wall jumping, claiming that it's just a gimmick is equally ridiculous. Wall jumping is going to create new paths and a sense of verticality on the map that you'll never see in CoD.

As for the map layout. How is it exactly like the one you see in CoD? Just because it happened to be smaller than what you find in Arma and without destructible environment?

That's bullshit.

Thanks to wall jumping and mechs (which, again, are core mechanics) the map layout will be greatly different from what you see in CoD.

I'm not a fan of CoD, but I get pissed whenever people see a game with great potential and IMMEDIATELY starts claiming it's a CoD-ripoff because the game had the fucking audacity to share a few basic mechanics.

I like you.

If I ha a PC, I would give it a shot but there is no chance in hell I will get a XBONE just for this game because in my eyes this is not a "system selling game". Devs are hiding more info then they should and I don't like this. I don't care that EA is the publisher but the fact that they like to "rush games" and "push them out the door"... 

Maybe I'm just too old for this - I don't know - but I'm just not excited. There is not even 1 person in the world that can change my mind here. Oh wait... there is only 1 person that can do that and that person is typing those words.

Just as a not:

The fact that I'm a huge fan of games like "Front Mission 3 & 4" or anime like Gundam or Evangelion and I love "giant mechs" says something about my feelings about curent games... I'm sick of bugs, and glitches and all that "day 1 DLC" bullshit... I'm too old for this shit.. And why they STILL didn't fix BF4? This game have some major problems - core problems - and it's not only about the broken netcode

i just got beta for pc so we'll see hoe this goes. 12gb install though 

Don't want to judge the game till i actually play it.  I just hope i can get in the beta

I got into the beta and played for about an hour.  It's a fun game, but I hate the controls, because everything is a toggle and I can't play like that.  Sprinting's a toggle, crouching's a toggle, even aiming down the gun sights is a toggle.

I couldn't see a way to change them either, unless I'm being totally blind and stupid :wacko:

I played the beta for a few hours, and thus far it has been quite fun. The gameplay is quite nice with variation of combat that works. Using shotguns on CQB range will often let you win firefights, while SMG and Rifle are better on longer range. The infantry battle feels still kinda generic, but I don't necessarily see the problem when they've made movement and positioning a big part of the gameplay. Maps are actually quite well made and thought, so there are some spots where you can take out minions from long range and thus get titan faster. Maps still feel a bit too big, since I've found myself at the beginning of the round trying to find enemies, but ending up running around with no clue where they are. Minions are something I would criticize. Minions are literally brain dead, they can kill you IF there is another pilot, or if you let them to kill you, otherwise there is no way that they could kill you. Even though minions are meant to just cut down the cooldown for titan, I still think they should be able to defend themselves. Possibly the best part about the game is the Titan combat. It's fast, it's full of explosions, it's intense and it's a lot more deeper than the normal FPS combat you have in CoDs and BFs. You have to know when to use the dodge moves, when to shoot, when to use the projectile catching ability etc. It's not about one shot kill or who has the best ping.

On the graphical side the game actually looked kinda bad. The optimization wasn't obviously the best, so I had to turn some of the options to medium, but even then the interiors of the Titan looked like something from PS2. The game had some kind of stuttering which made it kinda annoying at times.

This is still beta, but it doesn't feel bad at all. I guess all of this hate is because the game is from people who have worked with CoD.

That's bullshit.

Feel bad? I can't fathom why I should feel bad, I'm scrutinizing a game I've seem extensive footage by now and am not infringing or offending anyone else's rights or opinions. For all I care your bullshit is invalid too.

The gunplay looks exactly the same, the maps are small and ripe with camping spots and the game's pace incentivizes you to be offensive all the time with no not sure if the respawns are fixed but it didn't seem like they were either which is a lot like cod. Bigger maps with more tactical play(points or something to strategize around) and more players would go a long way.*

The titans just look like giant less agile pilots, they don't have anything you'd expect in a game like Heavy Gear or some other mech classics that made it feel more like a simulator. The tutorial did say the Titan was the pilot's extension and it very much feels like that but it could be potentially better developed, maybe when the release comes around it will.

The new mechanics are gimmicky. They're generating a lot of hype around the game but so far it doesn't seem to affect the game that much. Every single stream I watched had people playing the game as if it was Call of Duty until the Titans came to the battlefield when the game turns into Call of Duty with Mechs.

*They haven't revealed other game modes which is arguably working against them and they might have something actually interesting planned in that regard.

So far, it is fun. While I could critize the Grunt's AI, I'm... really not sure to be honest. I feel it's quite useless since it's brain dead, and it is difficult to do a good AI. So, when it comes to shooters? There's a problem. It'll be either brain fucking dead - just as in this beta -, or, the AI will be cheating so goddamn much, you're probably going to throw your controller by the window. *I'm looking at you, Counter Strike: Source!*

In my opinion, they should get rid of the AI, and/or put an extra mode with a lot more players and less grunts. Otherwise, the only problem I encountered has been the dramastic fall of fps when I get face to face with an ennemy, sometimes. I'm playing on the highest setting, but it's running smoothly in general.

So far, it is fun. While I could critize the Grunt's AI, I'm... really not sure to be honest. I feel it's quite useless since it's brain dead, and it is difficult to do a good AI. So, when it comes to shooters? There's a problem. It'll be either brain fucking dead - just as in this beta -, or, the AI will be cheating so goddamn much, you're probably going to throw your controller by the window. *I'm looking at you, Counter Strike: Source!*

In my opinion, they should get rid of the AI, and/or put an extra mode with a lot more players and less grunts. Otherwise, the only problem I encountered has been the dramastic fall of fps when I get face to face with an ennemy, sometimes. I'm playing on the highest setting, but it's running smoothly in general.

For that to happen, the maps would have to increase in size to balance things out.

I was very skeptical about this game before I played it today, in fact I was one of the people who kept comparing it to CoD and said it looks just like.  BUT now that I've played it I can say that I actually like the game.  It doesn't really feel like CoD more of crysis to me.  The only thing I don't like is how the AI are stupid but that's about it.