• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

LoreMaster

Tabletop RPGs

1,593 posts in this topic

I know that this community is based on gaming but who's interested in some good ol' fashioned Dungeons & Dragons? I'm not an experienced Dungeon Master but whoever's interested check out roll20.com which has tons of cool features for those into this side of gaming. 

Would love to see tabletop RPGs making a comeback, for those aren't familiar with it, it's basically the granddaddy of all Role Playing Games, so there are familiar concepts like collecting gold, magical weapons, going on quests etc. The exception is that the game is mostly told through verbal description by the Dungeon Master, who's sort of like the referee for the game. Also, another thing that's different is that ANYTHING can be done within a tabletop RPG. That's because your crazy ideas are interpreted not by a computer or console, but by a human, and I can go on and on about this gem but those are the key differences.

There are many versions of tabletop RPGs but the oldest and most popular is Dungeons & Dragons, which itself has different editions. The 3.5 Edition is currently available free at http://www.d20srd.org/, and you can download the latest playtest of 5th Edition (also known as D&D Next) at http://dndplaytest.wizards.com/. All you need is a mic and tons of imagination :)

For those who play Pathfinder ( or are interested in it ), check these sites:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

http://d20pfsrd.com/

goatman92, Rav, SgtRoss and 1 other like this

I'd be interested in that, but I don't really know anything about the game. I played a tad of 4th edition with some online buddies, but they made my sheet for me and I basically had no idea what I was doing.

Despite this, I still own a full set of die.

So yeah, don't count me in right now but don't count me out either.

No problem buddy. 4th Edition is pretty hard to run online due to the fact that it's almost impossible for all players to have the handbooks and getting the PDFs on torrent sites is frowned upon. 

Life long D&D player, Love playing Psionics, As far as I'm concerned there will always be a place for Table Top RPG. No game has better graphics or Definition than your imagination. I still talk with old friends I've played D&D with and it's funny how many conversations we have laughing about things we did together and how awesome they were that only took place in our combined imaginations. To hear us talk you would have thought we were actualy there doing those things and living those adventures. And in a lot of ways we were. We created a world and played in it together, had shared experiences, and so therefore, in that time it was real. Great Memories are Great Memories. No matter where they took place.

Wow, im shedding manly tears haha. Totally man, I wish I could be part of the generation where D&D was THE outlet for creativity. People my age (im 17) just want to push buttons on a controller or click on a mouse. That's not bad, I mean I like my fair share of games but I totally understand what you're saying man. Funny how games nowadays let you create your own character when their forefathers were creating entire worlds haha

No problem man, it's easy to get in....but not to get out ;) Hahahah trust me, me and my group have laugh out loud sessions like that ALL THE TIME, ask any D&D player

I'll do some research and hopefully figure out how to get started, I'll start with the website you posted. Any other info would be much appreciated.

The websites themselves are more like info database for the game, they're not going to help if you want to learn the ropes, so check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ZoqAp7Gz8

Edit: 

-D&D can be played by voice alone, but for battles ( or encounters as we call it ) it is often handy to have a gridded paper as well as miniatures. Since we're on the internet and that is impossible, www.roll20.net provides something like a virtual battle map with tokens and stuff. That's the site that we'd be playing if we do get a session going.

-If any 'beginner's guide' or something mentions buying a 'player's handbook', by all means go ahead, but as I said earlier, 3.5 edition is available for free at www.d20srd.org due to some sort of license thing that basically makes the content free. So that's the site which we refer to for information on the game. eg: how much hit points should a Gold Dragon have, or how difficult should it be to track footprints after a heavy rain?

-Sessions are run with approximately 4-7 players, with one of them being the Dungeon Master, or DM. 

-The other players take the role of Player Characters, or PCs. There are 6 base races to pick from, like your standard Dwarves and Elves and stuff, each with their specialties as well as bonuses to Ability Scores, which are Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Constitution, Wisdom and Charisma. Then they pick their Class, which has the standard Fighter, Ranger, Wizard and so on. 

-Now comes the actual gameplay. The DM will give the PCs a quest of sorts, and after that it is ENTIRELY up to the PCs on how to finish the quest. Like, go crazy. The PCs will describe what they want to do to the DM and the DM will ask the PCs to roll some dice to determine whether or not they succeed.

example: The bridge that links the two platforms has been destroyed, and the alternate route involves going deeper into the dungeon. To save some time and avoid a fight, the PCs decide to make the jump across the chasm. It's a fairly long distance, so on a difficulty scale of 1 to 20 the DM sets the difficulty at 15. Now the players roll 20-sided dice to determine their success. Player X has a good Strength score AND he took Jump as a skill, so whatever number he rolls he gets to add +8 to that number. He rolls the dice, and gets an 8. 8+8 = 16 which barely surpasses the target number, so he succeeds in making the leap. 

-As you can see, a party needs to have a balanced team, with different players good at different skills/situations. Need a lock picked? Hope you have a Rogue with high Dexterity in the team, otherwise you may have to break the door down with brute Strength, or persuade the guard to hand over the keys by lying to him using superior Charisma. The list goes on and on. PCs are not told their options directly, they need to use their wits and creativity to solve the issues they face. 

example of a smart player: Locked door? Just knock on the door and punch whoever that opens the door in their face.

-The adventures are either pre-made by talented authors, or self-made by the DMs themselves. The DM on the other hand has to make the game interesting and fair, as well as being able to think off their heads. What if the PCs decide to ignore the carefully planned 4-layer dungeon and instead infiltrate and join the ranks of the bandits? 

-And the best part is, after you've finished the quest, or rescued the princess or whatever, you get to reuse the same character in the next adventure, facing new foes now that you've gained exp and levelled up. Some PCs use the same characters over and over again, gaining enough exp to sometimes become demigods ( yes there are rules for that ). 

-Gosh that was a long post. Hope to see more people interested :)

Joric likes this

Thanks will do, today is my Friday (2am at work on Thursday here) so I will have tons of time to go over the video as well as do some killing in other games when I get home lol.

I love Tabletop RPG´s and I play a ton of them when I can. Ive played every edition of D&D except 1st ed which was a bit before my time. Recently we have actually gone back to 2nd ed in my group, since we just love to roll around in our nostalgia from when we got into gaming and we just really enjoy the rules and focus on roleplaying instead of stats and combat.

Wow, 2nd Edition? The one where negative ACs were good? That's way back haha. 

Btw, full roleplaying and little combat? Have you tried Call of Cthulhu or Trail of Cthulhu?

Vinterdraken likes this

Never played D&D (watched Joe and Spoony play 4th when they did a few years ago) but I've played Pathfinder and own a lot of books for it (11 I think). Also own the core books for Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition, Star Wars Edge of the Empire, Numenera (and will be getting the next three books sent to me when they are done), one of the D6 Star Wars games from the 90s, and Song of Ice and Fire. I have PDFs of a few other games that were sold in a cheap bundle together. Also watching the Warhammer Dark Hersey game that Total Biscuit is in now.

Wow that's a lot of role playing going on! And some titles which I've never even heard of! I never tried Dark heresy, did try Deathsquad though, or what was the name again? Anyway it involved roleplaying Space Marines which involved a lot of grunting and 'Battle Brother this' and 'Battle Brother that' so it wasn't very fun role-playing wise.

Wow that's a lot of role playing going on! And some titles which I've never even heard of! I never tried Dark heresy, did try Deathsquad though, or what was the name again? Anyway it involved roleplaying Space Marines which involved a lot of grunting and 'Battle Brother this' and 'Battle Brother that' so it wasn't very fun role-playing wise.

That seemed like it would be the least interesting of the 40K books. Not a fan of Space Marines at all though. You should watch Total Biscuit's group play Dark Hersey though, Total is great, as is most of his group, very funny and well run game.

Following the 40K universe and not a fan of Space Marines? Heresy!

Wow, 2nd Edition? The one where negative ACs were good? That's way back haha. 

Btw, full roleplaying and little combat? Have you tried Call of Cthulhu or Trail of Cthulhu?

Yeah, big fan of the Lovecraft mythos. Like Trail a little better then Call these days, but both great games.

ive been playing DnD for years now, and as much as i like video game RPG's there's nothing like getting together around a table and playing with your friends. Its an experience that no game can replicate. Not sure how that would translate to over skype, I guess is would depend on if your players are easily sidetracked and distracted.

First off thank you Rain, that was an great video, I think I laughed as much as they did, I instantly knew what was going on, that was a treat.

Thanks to LoreMaster for the post concerning my building worlds together speech,

and lastly, Vinterdraken, on YouTube theres a great H.P. Lovecraft Full Documentary I just watched the other day, anyone who enjoys or is interested in the Lovecraftian mythos should def give it a watch.

Oddly enough I have never played any of the Cthulu series rpgs That's gotta be hard to DM, lol I don't think I could belt out enough obscure adjectives to be effective LOL (if you know lovecraft, you know what I mean)

Yeah, big fan of the Lovecraft mythos. Like Trail a little better then Call these days, but both great games.

Never looked at Trail, what are the differences?

Thought you might appreciate this, made me bust up laughing for...ever. I wouldn't mind trying out D&D myself, but like Aquila i'm virtually clueless. But for the main event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vp70xxEqRQ

Used that quote on my introduction thread. I've used "Fighting like men" as my Xbox Live motto since that happened.

I never moved on for 3/3.5 edition. And i still play with those rules mostly.

I just throw a session or two of the 2nd edition just for the laughs. Oh and by the way i think the 1st was with the negative AC if i remember right

I'm somewhat experienced in D&D 3.5 in both player and dungeon master role. I suggest that everyone would check out Woodwwad's channel in Youtube, because he really can show you good way's to run your game and also how to roleplay properly! :D

Tormentor likes this

Currently having a blast playing a Warhammer 40K Only War. If anyone is thinking of starting a game I would love to join. D&D, Warhammer, pathfinder etz love to play with some of you =) (not playd anything other then Warhammer though, kinda new to RPG just discoverd the world of RPG)

SapeMies likes this

I've always been interested in tabletop RPGs. Alas, I live in an enviroment where such things were not possible to nurture. I received my first core book not long ago, from supporting the kickstarter on Numenera. I'm also interested in Cyberpunk, seeing as my favourite developer is developing this into a game.

As you can see, these are choices are "based" out of upcoming video games, but i've also looked at other RPGs which aren't currently looking to expand into video games and the like.

Dont have much experience with tabletop games, I mainly designed lil chat battle rpgs in the olden days of AOL though, due to the lack of people around where I lived.