• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

TurboDog

Lightning Returns

8 posts in this topic

So because I have always been a diehard Final Fantasy fan, I bought Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns. I guess the question I have is does anyone give 2 s**ts about this game? I bought it and have played it for a while and to be honest, its (reluctantly) ok… The fighting system is better than the previous FF13 titles (I’m glad there is no auto fight option). I personally think the story is ridiculously simplistic. I am only a few hours in an am 99.999% sure I know how the game is going to play out and end already. There is a “timing” mechanic in this game (as in you have a certain amount of time to finish the story) and I’m not sure how I feel about that. I wanted this game to blow me away but it didn’t. All I can say about it is that it isn’t the worst FF game I have ever played. Any thoughts or comments?

Yea I am about 20 hours in to it? I have a love/hate relationship with it. The combat is really fun imo I love the customization. The story is meh, but I never really expected a good story from this game tbh. I think the time limit is interesting and isn't to bad if you get used to it but I think I enjoy being able to do what I want in my game. I also don't like that you can't grind monsters at all as they don't give you any EXP just money and items. Overall I am enjoying the game but I don't think they needed the time limit in the game I would of liked to just have as much time as I wanted.

Zegers and TurboDog like this

I refuse to buy it. Only because I don't want to shove money towards Square and give them any false opinion that the game they made / have been making is the game I like. So basically, I've decided to boycott Square Enix till they stop making shitty Final Fantasies.  

TurboDog likes this

I refuse to buy it. Only because I don't want to shove money towards Square and give them any false opinion that the game they made / have been making is the game I like. So basically, I've decided to boycott Square Enix till they stop making shitty Final Fantasies.  

I do not blame you for that. A lot of people have done that I think. I played most Final Fantasy games that have been released starting with the first and these games are no where NEAR as good as they were. So yeah... I might have to give up on this franchise soon if things keep going this way also. Like I said, Lightning Returns is OK but mostly because it doesn't even feel like a Final Fantasy game anymore.

But you can blame her for this! First of all, you could just buy it used from gamestop or similar store and problem solved. No monies to Squeenix. And second, its not like theyve been making real bad FF games by any reasonable standards! Assuming were talking about the XIII saga and by extension main ones that came before, not mobile spinoffs or whatever bullshit they got going there. But, dont take my word for it, you only got to go to metacritic and see the scores for yourself. And lastly, even if you bought the game Squeenix might not necessarily think that its the game you want. Theyre not saying, "look, Scout bought it, make more!" With the diminishing sales, I think theyre getting the idea. So theres that and not to mention that this is the last one in the XIII saga, so no more of it...

As to Lightning Returns OP, Im really disappointed that the game seems to be just average. I was really hoping that it would at least be on the level of XIII-2 and in the best case scenario that it wouldve surpassed it. Not entirely unreasonable expectations here but, Squeenix failed us. I've yet to get my game as Im searching for damn jobs and I need monies but, Im already invested in the XIII saga so needless to say, im still highly interested in playing the game. I guess I'll get my very good RPG fix from The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age 3 down the road because it seems I wont find it here.

For me personally, the newer FFs are rather good games and LR is no exception. Sure, there are some things that bother me, like no leveling for example. But I like the battle System, sort of like a modified Version of the Crisis Core battle System. Also, Lightning is a cool character, in my oppinion.

While the Final Fantasy 13 Trilogy aren't the best Final Fantasy has to offer, I personally found them enjoyable for being what they are. Lightning Returns was a decent game but some of the story elements didn't make sense to me after playing the first 2 games.