• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Raynmir Aragondruin

Shadow of Mordor: A Great Ring of Power, or Pile of Oliphant Poo?

Shadow of Mordor   50 members have voted

1. 1. What do you expect the game's success to be like?

• Totally Amazing!
    • It might be good, but I'm not sure
    • It'll be terrible, just like every other movie licensed game
    • I don't really care
  2. 2. What do you want the game to focus on?

• Story and Dialogue
    • Combat and Gameplay
    • World and Level Design
    • Graphics
  3. 3. Do you think this will be a good addition to the Lord of the Rings franchise/legacy?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 posts in this topic

Well, with this game coming out in the future, I wanted to see what other people are thinking about it. To me, it looks great, although there are a few potential problems. If you haven't already, checkout the 8 minute gameplay, showcasing the "nemesis system". You can also go read this IGN article on the game.

IGN article (this features the gameplay video in it): http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/20/why-lord-of-the-rings-fans-should-be-excited-for-shadow-of-mordor

We already have several threads about this game mate.

While I do think it looks good SO FAR i'm going to hold back on judging it at the moment.

I could not give a toss that it's taken things from other games, the vast majority of games out there have taken things from other games, but I want to know how it pans out story wise and how open the world actually is.

storminn0rm4n likes this

Looks like it'll be pretty awesome especially since they've said that it's been developed primarily with PS4/X1 in mind as opposed to making a game for last gen systems and porting it over with slightly better graphics.

The nemesis system just sounds amazing, Its something that hasnt really been in a game before or atleast as far as i know. Now i mean there are games who have said that every playthrough will be different(Skyrim) when actually its just the way you play is different. The only 2 complaints ive heard are the AC animations which i mean get over it theres nothing wrong with using the same animation from an amazing(most of the time) series. Then there is the  hardcore Tolkein lore masters who say this completely fucks up the story. Now ive watched the 3 orgiinal movies and have not seen the 2 new ones nor have i ever read any of the books(sadly) so i am by no means a master of the lore. However, i dont see anything wrong with the story it doesnt seem to be messing with anything its just kind of a 'What if" scenario. Im sure someone will explain to me why im completely wrong and how Tolkein is rolling around in his grave blah blah blah blah blah blah. I dont mind telling me im an idiot just give some premise to it please and be gentle im a cupcake we bruise easily.

My problem with this game is that its existence killed MERP (Middle Earth Roleplaying Project)

It may end up being an alright game, but it has demonstrably ended the production of another (in my opinion better) project that was going to be the Middle Earth RPG that I've wanted for years. A game that could be judged on its own merits and more importantly for me respected the lore and setting; I could explore Middle Earth in an accurate representation. I could play as various races in Middle Earth.

The total conversion mod for Skyrim, MERP was going to have a map nine times larger than Skyrim's map and from what I heard of the development from the mods, it was going to be packed with content. Rohan was around the same size as Skyrim.

It wasn't just to remake Middle Earth, they were going to revamp the combat to make it more difficult, largely remove magic, add a real time calendar where events in the books happen at the appropriate date; if the player didn't destroy the Ring before the Battle of the Black Gate, it would result in the death in every major character present. There were going to be a few different story modes: the Ringbearer mode where the player takes control of Frodo. A free roam mode similar to Skyrim and a White Council mode. 

Keep in mind this tour was made very, very early and they had added a lot more. Warner Brothers saw this project and sent it a cease and desist letter. A huge billion dollar corporation saw this mod as a legitimate threat and took legal action to stop it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/06/middle-earth-roleplaying-project-mod-for-skyrim-petitions-wb-to-revoke-cease-and-desist/

The release of MERP into the marketplace will likely result in customer confusion and cannibalization with respect to such legitimately licensed LOTR/Hobbit games and will detract from the value proposition bargained and paid for by legitimate licensees of the LOTR/Hobbit properties. Furthermore, projects and games like MERP will diminish and erode Warner Bros.’ ability to manage and protect the brand, reputation and quality of the LOTR/Hobbit properties that it has invested significant resources to cultivate over the years.

Warner Brothers wanted to continue riding the hype of the films and the mere existence of something that may threaten that terrified them. The notion of having their fully funded and developed game compared to a mod intimidated them because it could shine a negative light on the game. As much I like the idea of MERP, this shouldn't be the case.

There was a large effort to try and save the mod by petitioning and boycotting Warner Brothers' Lord of the Rings games. A few notable youtubers helped like Gopher

[/youtube

Totalbiscuit even brought it up in the Mailbox and how ridiculous Warner's claim was, or rather how ridiculous it is that a large entity felt threatened by it.

The petition reached around 32,000 signers and there was a letter writing campaign. It wasn't enough in the end. After almost a full year, the effort folded and MERP truly ended.

This game that's not only recycling mechanics from their own Arkhum series but also from the Assassin's Creed series is offensive to me. Warner Brothers took the safest route possible in every respect. They release this game when its mostly likely to do well without actually having to rely on its own merits by coinciding with the new trilogy. They're too afraid to show any sort of initiative with innovation, but instead decide to rely on mechanics that have already been proven to work in other series.

They destroyed a project that had years put into it (MERP started before 2008 for Oblivion at the time) and was going to be beautiful in its own right. Now we get Talien the Ranger/wraith instead. I won't support this.

I think it'll be a solid experience. I do hate the fact however that it scrapped the production of MERP. But, maybe it will meet the promises that have been made. Plus, I think the nemesis feature is pretty cool. If you don't kill a character in a battle, they will come back at a random point later in the game and be stronger and have more henchmen. But, we'll just have to see...

I can not wait for this game.  Hope it stays some what true to the books

Think I stopped giving a fuck about the LotR universe after I fell asleep while watching the movies. For some reason any game that has a word anything to do with that universe in their name just feels like a waste of time.

Sounds fun, pity I've never heard of it until now :P 

P.S. Forums look cool :D

Looks pretty sweet, will be interesting to see how it all fits together with the open world and whatnot.

To be what it promises, the game has to offer multiple ways to beat a mission. It shouldn´t be linear gameplay wise and I hope the nemesis system doesn´t  end up as a cheap or/and simple gimmick. 

I'm more excited about the lego The Hobbit game to be honest

Wasn't there also some controversy around an Assassin's Creed developer claiming that the game was stealing assets like animations? I think I saw it somewhere. Anyone know what happened to that situation?  

Wasn't there also some controversy around an Assassin's Creed developer claiming that the game was stealing assets like animations? I think I saw it somewhere. Anyone know what happened to that situation?  

People were saying the animations for all the rope walking and parkour look almost exactly like Assassin's Creed. However, what they didnt realize was that one of the guys who did the animations used to work on Assassin's creed. I dont think Ubisoft really cares that they look the same. Dont fix what isnt broken

SarcasticZebra likes this

People were saying the animations for all the rope walking and parkour look almost exactly like Assassin's Creed. However, what they didnt realize was that one of the guys who did the animations used to work on Assassin's creed. I dont think Ubisoft really cares that they look the same. Dont fix what isnt broken

That's the rub of most games, and one of the places that this game could run into trouble on. There's a fine line between homage, inspiration, and straight up rip-off or copying. From what I've seen of the game, it looks like it is straying into a dangerous territory of taking too many ideas from other games then adding a splash of LoTR to it. The don't fix what isn't broken idea is one that can be dangerous to a new game, especially one with a license attached to it. I do hope for the best for this game, but at the same time I'm kind of expecting the worse. Thanks for the clarification on the issue though, I appreciate it! 

Recoveryanonymous likes this

That's the rub of most games, and one of the places that this game could run into trouble on. There's a fine line between homage, inspiration, and straight up rip-off or copying. From what I've seen of the game, it looks like it is straying into a dangerous territory of taking too many ideas from other games then adding a splash of LoTR to it. The don't fix what isn't broken idea is one that can be dangerous to a new game, especially one with a license attached to it. I do hope for the best for this game, but at the same time I'm kind of expecting the worse. Thanks for the clarification on the issue though, I appreciate it! 

Oh well NP man. Ok but think of it this way Assassins creed has some pretty decent parkour rooftop running animation for 3rd person now its not Titanfall or Mirrors Edge but its pretty decent. The devs could of tried to make something similar but lately devs are taking ideas from other devs. Eventually the AC animations will become the norm(maybe idk)just like the whole COD perk system has become the norm in FPS games as of late. I dont mind when devs share great ideas because it means less resources needed in one area that can be put into another. 

To just add on the AC Copy discussion; A Ubisoft developer did say that he believed the game had "borrowed" assets from AC2.

"Seriously, can someone tell me how Assassin's Creed 2 code and assets are in this Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor game?"

I agree that the climbing animations looks similar, but I'm no expert. The thing really makes me suspicious though, Is the clothes lines that you can walk in that orc/goblin village from the demo. Orcs doesn't strike me as the type of people who'd have a good use for clothing lines. They really look like they were ripped straight from an AC game.

To just add on the AC Copy discussion; A Ubisoft developer did say that he believed the game had "borrowed" assets from AC2.

I agree that the climbing animations looks similar, but I'm no expert. The thing really makes me suspicious though, Is the clothes lines that you can walk in that orc/goblin village from the demo. Orcs doesn't strike me as the type of people who'd have a good use for clothing lines. They really look like they were ripped straight from an AC game.

Have you tried drying your clothes in Mordor seems like they would need clothing lines to me and honestly why are there so many of them in AC too.  Its just a mechanic so i dont think it really matters why the devs put them in . They just seem like another way to move around.

The game isn't going to let me "be in" Middle Earth, if that makes any sense. Beyond the name, there's nothing about its atmosphere that says Tolkien or Middle Earth. A Lord of the Rings game that doesn't respect the setting is just a generic fantasy game with Middle Zealand paint. Just look at the protagonist, a half wraith, ranger.

The hell is this? He has like glowing blue eyes and a "wraith mode"? It's just weak D&D stuff that has no business being in a Lord of the Rings title. Then again the quality of Lord of the Rings games has been fairly low over the past few years. So I'm not really too surprised by these elements being present; they just come across as pandering and leeching off of a brand name.

This game looks really good, something different. but i suppose we will have to wait and see if it is any good :D