• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Samzoix

What Games/Franchises deserve a second chance?

30 posts in this topic

Before I go on, I'd like to clarify that by "second chance" I don't mean "I thought this game was bad, but I might try it again one day" I mean a game or game franchise that had a lot of potential, but didn't quite hit the right beats and so didn't get great sales and/or reviews, has most likely been forgotten and won't get a new entry any time soon. I was reorganising my room and stumbled across some old games, and there were some in there that I thought weren't as good as they should have been, but I think have a decent enough concept that they deserve another try. A remake, a reboot, or simply a reimagining of the core concept. They don't even necessarily have to be part of the same franchise, just the same concept. Here are some I thought of.

Destroy All Humans!: I was underwhelmed by this game. The idea was really cool: you play as an alien clone sent to America in the 1950s to infiltrate and destroy the human race. Sign me up, I thought. Sadly it was quite repetitive and just not really all that fun in my opinion. But at the core, it was a fairly decent third person shooter with a great setting and some cool mechanics. They made a sequel (which I didn't play) and different developers did two more games: one for the Wii and one for the PS3/360. The latter got really negative reviews and so we've seen nothing from the series since. I was never a fan, so this doesn't really bother me that much, but I definitely think it could do with another attempt. I understand Pandemic aren't around anymore so it wouldn't be by them, but surely a reboot wouldn't be such a bad idea?

Kane & Lynch: I liked the story, characters and writing of the game, so much so that I actually thought it should have been a film or TV series instead of the game, because I found the gameplay bland and unpolished. But with games like GTA V and Payday focusing on heists - the latter with a heavy emphasis on teamwork - I think the series could have learned a lot from those two. I never played it, but I always thought the concept behind the game's multiplayer was really, really cool. I did some research and found out that IO Interactive won't be making a third game and would be concentrating solely on Hitman for the time being. Which is kind of a shame because I thought Kane & Lynch could've been so much more than it was.

Condemned: Anyone who's played Condemned can tell you that there are some flashes of greatness to be found. It's not very polished and it's a bit clunky, but that game had tension, atmosphere and some really interesting ideas. Firearms are scarce so you have to get up close and personal with the freaks and hobos, using lead pipes, 2x4s, locker doors and whatever the hell you can find lying around, and it can be really quite creepy. The forensic crime scene sections are a little simple, but how many genuine first person forensic games do we have? Not many, I tell you. My sister had some CSI games but they were just boring point-and-clickers. There definitely needs to be a new Condemned or at least a Condemned-esque game.

Do you guys have any thoughts on games that deserve another shot at glory?

Silverfox and Bimpy782 like this

Beyond Good and Evil.

It was a good game but it was overshadowed on it's release and classed as a commercial failure. That's a commercial failure not the games failure. That was down to Ubisoft, they spent more marketing on Prince of Persia: Sands of Time than this and it's a damn shame because this game was far better.

There are tales of a sequel being made and I hope it is.

And supreme commander, man the first one was the perfect RTS

LA Noire.

It was a good game by mostly all accounts but considering it was expensive as heck to produce and didn't make enough profit(considering Team Bondi shutdown with a reported 1.4M in debt).

It's a new IP and I hope there will be a follow up, if not direct sequel then atleast a similar game.

Rollcage.

Loved the first Rollcage and really liked the second one.

How about a new and shiny rollcage game

Bimpy782 likes this

Bungie's ONI.

Absolutely terrific game with a huge fan following that have gotten multiplayer to more or less work.
Highly underrated game that was given unfair reviews (or so I hear) when it was first released.

And still the only TPS game I know of that let's you punch and kick in 8-directions.

Gone likes this

Bulletstorm i love that game to bad it didnt sell that well i would love it if they made a 2nd one

LA Noire

and Alpha protocol that game had soooo much potential it would be awesome if they gave that game a 2nd chance and give Obsidan as much time as they need to make the game

Fusion Frenzy. The first one was fucking awesome, the second one was shit. They should make a game like the first one, not the second.

Also, NFL Fever. I played the hell out of that game, it's a pity it stopped in 2003

Syphon Filter. They created 3 of these games but none of them truely matched to the original IMO. I wish they would revamp this series from original game quality and really give it a graphical and story reboot.

LA Noire.

It was a good game by mostly all accounts but considering it was expensive as heck to produce and didn't make enough profit(considering Team Bondi shutdown with a reported 1.4M in debt).

It's a new IP and I hope there will be a follow up, if not direct sequel then atleast a similar game.

i guess you haven't of Whore of the Orient. (I'm serious that's the title)

MEDAL OF HONOR FOR THE LOVE OF GOD cant believe this slipped my mind!!! The WW2 ones were great, and even the first of the reboot wasn't that bad. Man, if they return to a WW2 setting and gear a great studio to make it, then you have yourself a Nice and healthy game franchise again! *Crosses Fingers*

Those games were my childhood.

Bimpy782 likes this

I'd like to see Jet Force Gemini make a return. but Rare wont develop it. they are making games for Kinect.

i guess you haven't of Whore of the Orient. (I'm serious that's the title)

No I haven't but I will keep my eye out for it now :)

Psychonauts: The game was ok but so artistically amazing and funny that it deserves to live again.  I have not run into many games as original and hilarious as that.  Not to mention that there was an intersting world that I would love to see expanded upon and what kind of hilarious over the top super villain/criminal masterminds they could create.

Beyond Good and Evil:  I know...EVERYONE WANTS THIS SERIES BACK.  But I can't help but agree.  This is a game that was just breath taking in everything it did.  The combat was a tad blah at times but combat wasn't the focus of the game.  It was all about exploration, espionage, wildlife, family, technology, conspiracies, and so much more.  The game did so much with so little and was amazing for it.  If Ubisoft would stop living in the market and take a chance to invest in the artistic just one more time then I hope we can finally get another chance to explore Beyond Good and Evil.

Banjo & Kazooie:  I know about Nuts and Bolts...I played and HATED IT.  But that doesn't mean that they couldn't have gone back to what they knew and tried again.  The series was fun, colorful, and funny. It knew what it was and played with it.  You don't really have to change a formula to make a game better (as with Nuts and Bolts) just go with what you know and tweek the issues and expand upon the gameplay.  I hope to see this pair return but I will not hold out for it. 

Silverfox and Bimpy782 like this

No I haven't but I will keep my eye out for it now :)

Here's early leaked footage. its obvious it needs work, but it's not bad for a starting point...

EQ501 likes this

Banjo & Kazooie:  I know about Nuts and Bolts...I played and HATED IT.  But that doesn't mean that they couldn't have gone back to what they knew and tried again.  The series was fun, colorful, and funny. It knew what it was and played with it.  You don't really have to change a formula to make a game better (as with Nuts and Bolts) just go with what you know and tweek the issues and expand upon the gameplay.  I hope to see this pair return but I will not hold out for it. 

good luck, Rare is tied down and getting raped by M$

Maleficent5 and Bimpy782 like this

Black and White: I had so much fun with that game that I was pissed the sequel sucked! I think the series deserves a second chance. Being a god that throws people in the sky and building houses. The game also had a good and evil side which you could choice to be a saint or a devil.

Star Wars: Jedi Knight series: This is debately the best Star Wars game series, I love this series so much that I play it to this day. It had the best lightsaber and force combat, and was a good FPS. The third game in the series wasn't as good as the others because you get your Lightsaber IMMEDIATLY and the game gets too easy. The lack of Star Wars games on the market gives this a good opportonity to see Jedi Knight IV finally released.

Star Wars 1313

I was so excited about playing a game set in the Star Wars universe where i WAS'NT a Jedi (Ironic given my avatar). Than news came that the game was about Boba Fett and my excitement doubled.

Then Disney closed LucasArts and the game was scraped, It was as if millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced 

Gone too likes this

Crash Bandicoot, not only because the original games were good and Crash hasn't seen the spotlight in years but also so we can get a remake of Crash Team Racing! That game was the shit way back in the day and was better than Mario Kart 64! And no that is not opinion that is clear fact! ALL HAIL CTR!

Please don't what I just said seriously.

Frozen_arow likes this

Grim Fandango and Full Throttle and Command and Conquer and god Universe at War. Some IPs are forever lost to corporate greed, bad deadlines, lousy luck(Universe at War was an early adopter of GFWL and they weren't informed automatch was a PAID feature.) and shareholder stupidity...

The game that I would love to see get a sequel, even though it will never happen because the studio is defunct, is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Loved the rich fantasy atmosphere of the game, combat system was tight with diverse enough weaponry and powers, and the world was massive and just pleasing to look at.

Silverfox likes this

Building on Maleficent5's post I would agree that Banjo and Kazooie deserves a true sequel, rather Banjo Tooie deserves a true sequel.

I think Nuts and Bolts suffered from an identity crisis. From what I have gathered it was originally built to be a full fledged platformer but had the racing tact on when the levels became too big to traverse on foot. Or that the game was intended to be an original IP but Banjo and Kazooie were tact on to pull fans of the franchise.

Banjo and Kazooie holds a special place in my heart as one of my favorite games from my childhood. It is a shame that Microsoft hasn't capitalized on the talent Rare has to offer. Banjo Threeie could have been the platformer that would have pulled younge auidences and veteran gamers alike from Nintendo over to Microsoft but instead left Rare to developing subpar Kinect games. It deserves a true sequel, a game that harkens back to the age of platforming when games were about fun, not graphics and pixels.

Maleficent5 likes this

The game that I would love to see get a sequel, even though it will never happen because the studio is defunct, is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Loved the rich fantasy atmosphere of the game, combat system was tight with diverse enough weaponry and powers, and the world was massive and just pleasing to look at.

Unless i'm mistaken I think the rights to Amalur were auctioned off so we might get another one, not sure who owns it know though.

Wouldn't mind to see a proper sequel to Ghostbusters the Video Game not to mention Crysis considering what they did to 3. Metroid would be nice considering that the last new Metroid we got was Other M and I would quite like to see a Mevel Ultimate Alliance 3 and a Deadpool 2 though preferably less copy and paste beat 'em up with more Deadpooly madness.

Unless i'm mistaken I think the rights to Amalur were auctioned off so we might get another one, not sure who owns it know though.

according to this gamespot news page 38 studios couldnt find a buyer for the rights to the game

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/38-studios-auction-finds-no-buyer-for-amalur-mmo-kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-sequel/1100-6416719/