• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

desofire

An Open Letter to Gamers

20 posts in this topic

Dear Gamers,

(TL;DR? Skip to the last paragraph)

I was just hanging out in a chatroom in Chatango and one person who somewhat assumed I was a (offensive word removed) was “advertising” his blog about ragers, trashtalkers, and for some reason, game developers too.Here is the link that he was "advertising" http://thatdudewhoplaysgames.wordpress.com/2014/02/24/an-open-letter-to-ragers-and-trashtalkers-as-well-as-game-developers/

I can forgive that person for assuming I was a (offensive word removed) because of my usual antics and what not in the chatroom, as well as that person was just new to the group. But I would like to get back on-topic about the blog he or she made. As I was reading his/her post, he or she was very polite. Instead of adding swears, insults, and slurs, he or she just explained politely what he or she hears and sees through the chatbox and voice chat. Which begs the question: What are games? Are they meant to be fun? Are they meant to be taken seriously, regardless of how little is at stake?

I’ve been playing games competitively and casually for a fairly long time. I have also wondered if I really want to become a professional gamer as well. Well, I’ll be honest, I still want to be a professional gamer to this day, but I know that no matter how much I keep playing to improve my skills, I will never be fit or skilled to become one. Then, I asked myself if I play it for fun or not. I just realized that what brought me to that path was because I had fun, and what is fun is normally what people want to keep doing. Which is why I pursued to become a professional gamer, but then failed. I just play games for the experience that each game offers, if and/or because I find them fun.

But really, my biggest concern are those toxic players.

For those who really want to make their respective game communities peaceful, you guys should do your part in making the game’s experience more enjoyable or more endurable. Don’t whip them newbies with things like “F*ck you man, uninstall the game” or something similar. Help them to get things right. However, if you have been doing your part to make the game more enjoyable or more endurable, but you see or feel as there is no improvement, don’t stop. Your community needs the likes of you, even if they think they don’t. They will regret not having you around, whether they know it or not.

For those who choose to rage, blame, spew out insults, slurs, and offensive language/s, please… if you have nothing better to say, then keep your hands/fingers off the voice chat or the chatbox. You are just filling up a screen that makes it harder to see what is really going on. Just because your team and/or your opponents have been doing things that frustrate you, using the chatbox is just something that makes the overall experience of the game more stressful. If using insults, slurs, and offensive language is your technique to winning… it just proves that you can’t play the game. If you choose to blame your teammates for your/their incompetence, or fail to accept that the other team just outplayed you and your team to getting the win, then please stop queuing up alone. And for those who do end up losing their patience, I can’t blame you for giving a f*ck. But please, if you do so, you’ll just end up inspiring him to do more. HOWEVER, if that person refuses to stop, regardless of how much you ignore him, then that is beyond your control already. Which would then lead me to my other concern.

Game Devs… Just get this one thing right.

If you guys are going to make an online multiplayer game, let alone having PVP multiplayer feature in it, please make a chatblock feature. If you guys have implied that, be sure that it is as easy as 1, 2, 3, and not having to leave the lobby or room just to do that. Maybe a simple “rightclick + ignore” would be easier. And it would be much appreciated if it blocks voice chat and chat through the chatbox effective immediately after activating them. Why do so? This may introduce a cold-shoulder effect or something, but it is a good idea to further lessen the victim’s intake of the toxicity of players who rage, blame, talk trash, use offensive language, and so on. Plus, sometimes it is not the game that drives the players to stop playing your game… it is the players in it, or more specifically the ones who just make the game’s experience worse. Come on guys, you are still gamers. Guess what? Other game developers have applied and simplified it. I mean, look at League of Legends which allegedly has the most toxic gaming community. Riot has added a chatblock feature just by pressing no more than 2 buttons.

To make things short:

1.) Gamers, please make the game more enjoyable or more endurable.

2.) Ragers, blamers, trashtalkers, basically toxic players, please don’t make the game’s experience a headache. You are making us looks bad.

3.) Game devs, please add and/or simplify the chatblock feature in your online multiplayer games. There are lots of people out there that would rather piss off others for their incompetence or for the sake of one’s own pleasure at another’s expense.

4.) This letter is barely scratching the surface. There are other issues other than this.

Yours truly, a reformed toxic player named Deso

(This is copied and pasted from my Tumblr http://desokun.tumblr.com/post/77778956386/an-open-letter-to-gamers just incase someone is going to ask)

Edited by Legolas_Katarn
Do not use that word to refer to any one person or group of people

I didn't read all of this.
It simply seemed too pretentious to me to even care and reading the word "Tranny" instantly made me look negatively on this whole post. 

Games are escapism.
Games are stories.
Games is an artform.
But most of all,

Games is entertainment.
Never forget that.

As for going into pro-gaming, anyone can do it with dedication and a will to learn.
So get to it.

If it's not fun, you shouldn't be doing it. If every game you play isn't engaging you in a pleasurable way, then stop playing it.

I've never wanted to be a "professional" video game player. I'm likely nowhere near good enough to be one. But then, neither would I want to be. it's not a life goal or ambition. I play for fun, and the moment it stops being fun, I move on.

I also agree with the above post - use of the word "tranny" is odd, and offensive. Worse - it's not relevant to your topic......

Gone likes this

If it's not fun, you shouldn't be doing it. If every game you play isn't engaging you in a pleasurable way, then stop playing it.

I've never wanted to be a "professional" video game player. I'm likely nowhere near good enough to be one. But then, neither would I want to be. it's not a life goal or ambition. I play for fun, and the moment it stops being fun, I move on.

I also agree with the above post - use of the word "tranny" is odd, and offensive. Worse - it's not relevant to your topic......

For competetive play you will have times where you hate a game and other times were you love it, that is why it is so great.

In my humble opinion: if you don't care about the game enough to get mad, you really won't get the same reward as those who do care.

Fair enough - I don't play competitive (as in professional).

But don't confuse caring, and getting mad, with "fun". Having fun with a game doesn't mean you're sitting there with a huge grin on your face. You can be angry and upset at a game, and still be having fun.

Thank you for providing us with a thought provoking and sincere post.  I think you're onto something here.  I agree, really.  Look at youtube: The comments there make me lose faith in humanity with exchanges like, "ur stupi u fukin loozer bitch, lern 2 speel u fukk."  Unfortunately, when you put something like this out there, and expose yourself, you will always receive an ignorant statement *cough cough.*  Lets hope you endure, friend.  Ragers do make a game less enjoyable, but this is an issue that will never be solved.  The expectations are entirely too high if we believe that an entire community is equipped with their abilities to handle their emotions, no matter how trivial the subject at hand.  The answer, however, is most certainly in the ability to easily silence what I like to call, "white noise."  It is poisonous, the rage and unhealthy criticisms.  You must be able to control what you allow into your mind, and a simple answer in the gaming community to do that is just what you described.  I don't use a chat headset unless it is with people I know in real life and that I trust... for that reason, all of the white noise.  I just don't need someone elses thoughts invading my mind.  Hope this helps brother, have a good one, and welcome to the Angry Army.

desofire likes this

I didn't read all of this.

It simply seemed too pretentious to me to even care and reading the word "Tranny" instantly made me look negatively on this whole post. 

Games are escapism.

Games are stories.

Games is an artform.

But most of all,

Games is entertainment.

Never forget that.

As for going into pro-gaming, anyone can do it with dedication and a will to learn.

So get to it.

For competetive play you will have times where you hate a game and other times were you love it, that is why it is so great.

In my humble opinion: if you don't care about the game enough to get mad, you really won't get the same reward as those who do care.

Well, I just felt like adding it in for something to break the tension about the "tranny" part and I would like to apologize for that. But it is rather getting old that the cause for a person to "get mad" is another person. Yes, games do have imbalances. Yes, it is unlikely that players have actual "ratings" of skills other than the ratings given by leaderboards or statboards from games. But does the community of each game have to ruin the experience that a game is giving because of his or her liking? I am talking about game communities for most cases, not the games themselves.

Thank you for providing us with a thought provoking and sincere post.  I think you're onto something here.  I agree, really.  Look at youtube: The comments there make me lose faith in humanity with exchanges like, "ur stupi u fukin loozer bitch, lern 2 speel u fukk."  Unfortunately, when you put something like this out there, and expose yourself, you will always receive an ignorant statement *cough cough.*  Lets hope you endure, friend.  Ragers do make a game less enjoyable, but this is an issue that will never be solved.  The expectations are entirely too high if we believe that an entire community is equipped with their abilities to handle their emotions, no matter how trivial the subject at hand.  The answer, however, is most certainly in the ability to easily silence what I like to call, "white noise."  It is poisonous, the rage and unhealthy criticisms.  You must be able to control what you allow into your mind, and a simple answer in the gaming community to do that is just what you described.  I don't use a chat headset unless it is with people I know in real life and that I trust... for that reason, all of the white noise.  I just don't need someone elses thoughts invading my mind.  Hope this helps brother, have a good one, and welcome to the Angry Army.

Thank you very much. Personally, I was once a toxic player. I feel much more alive now after realizing and accepting how much of a bad individual I was, I just had to wake myself up because I realized that I was looking at the people who I am playing with first and the game second. I cared about what the end result was because defeat was usually the receiving end of all the hate and so on. But then I realized that it was just a stress-enhancement. I ended up not enjoying games because of that. Now though, I feel much more "mentally stable" at some point. I want to experience the stress that the game has, not what majority of the gaming community is actually pressuring to those who "underperform" and what not.

Due to overexposure to toxic players, even after being reformed from one, it is hard to see and hear all of it happening. It is just pushing players out of the game and missing out on the experience it offers... when clearly that it was none of the game's flaws that push them away, but those who are toxic.

Fair enough - I don't play competitive (as in professional).

But don't confuse caring, and getting mad, with "fun". Having fun with a game doesn't mean you're sitting there with a huge grin on your face. You can be angry and upset at a game, and still be having fun.

Only if the stress comes from the game and not from the players that make it frustrating.

I pay about as much attention to "toxic" players as I do to the paper I wipe my arse with (sometimes it's the Daily Mail but that's another rant).

They both have a role to play in my life.

Toilet roll cleanses my arse while "toxic" gamers talk out of theirs for my amusement.

They don't bother me at all. The last time I got offended over something somebody said to me was in 1989 on my 9th birthday when my friend said his Boglin was cooler than mine. We fell out that day ... NO BOGLIN WAS COOLER THAN FLURP.

As for other players .... I don't get offended at people I meet in the street, i'm hardly going to take offense to some drooling halfwit that's been studying babies first insults (let's be honest, none of them have anything hilariously imaginative to say, it's like listening to drunk 8 year olds that just figured out fuck was a naughty word).

I understand that it varies from person to person. There are .... sensitive (trying to be diplomatic) people in the world that do take offense. 

I can't relate to them ... now excuse me while I don a loincloth and wrestle a bear....

Anywhooo....

Don't argue with them. You'll be tempted to use witty retorts and these people don't understand sarcasm or words with more than 4 letters. They were educated by Sesame Street and the Tellytubbies for christs sake, they can barely string a coherent sentence together.

You've all seen that kid out with his parents that starts stamping his feet and screaming because mummy said he can't have a Dime Bar (older folk from the UK will get it ... if not, here is the clip)

Just smile and nod and move along. 

As for getting stressed at games .... i'm a bit too old for that now. 

Maybe before puberty I may have thrown the odd 2600 joystick at a wall thanks to Asteroids but that's about it.

2ofSpades and Emphase like this

Maybe before puberty I may have thrown the odd 2600 joystick at a wall thanks to Asteroids but that's about it.

But they only moved up and down - never sideways! :D

I pay about as much attention to "toxic" players as I do to the paper I wipe my arse with (sometimes it's the Daily Mail but that's another rant).

They both have a role to play in my life.

Toilet roll cleanses my arse while "toxic" gamers talk out of theirs for my amusement.

They don't bother me at all. The last time I got offended over something somebody said to me was in 1989 on my 9th birthday when my friend said his Boglin was cooler than mine. We fell out that day ... NO BOGLIN WAS COOLER THAN FLURP.

As for other players .... I don't get offended at people I meet in the street, i'm hardly going to take offense to some drooling halfwit that's been studying babies first insults (let's be honest, none of them have anything hilariously imaginative to say, it's like listening to drunk 8 year olds that just figured out fuck was a naughty word).

I understand that it varies from person to person. There are .... sensitive (trying to be diplomatic) people in the world that do take offense. 

I can't relate to them ... now excuse me while I don a loincloth and wrestle a bear....

Anywhooo....

Don't argue with them. You'll be tempted to use witty retorts and these people don't understand sarcasm or words with more than 4 letters. They were educated by Sesame Street and the Tellytubbies for christs sake, they can barely string a coherent sentence together.

You've all seen that kid out with his parents that starts stamping his feet and screaming because mummy said he can't have a Dime Bar (older folk from the UK will get it ... if not, here is the clip)

Just smile and nod and move along. 

Hahahaha, I have not thrown a controller in a long, long time.  It is somewhat rewarding, I will admit, until you reach adulthood, and then have to buy your own replacement.  Don't worry Gomly, when you convince your wife to let you have Dark Souls 2, I will wear a headset and abuse you verbally.

Why bother with rage-inducing games if you can't handle some schmucks using profanity? I personally am very bad at so-called "competitive games", so I stay away from them, so that I wouldn't have to bother with pre-adolesecent kids in the chat or wherever. It's too tempting to start retaliating and also your mood has a role to play in all that. If I'm having a bad day, I don't care who you are, if you get on my nerves, you'll be able to add some new words to you vocabulary.

The only games that can piss me off are fighting games, open world multiplayer sandboxes and racing games. Well, pissed off is strong verbage, slightly frusterated. When people just spam the shit out of you to win or ram you repeatedly to get around corners or just kill you repeatedly with sticky bombs, snipers, bazookas, and other shit I get frusterated. I want to play the game, not spend money and energy tiwards trying to kill you AND try to play the game.

Well, I just felt like adding it in for something to break the tension about the "tranny" part and I would like to apologize for that. But it is rather getting old that the cause for a person to "get mad" is another person. Yes, games do have imbalances. Yes, it is unlikely that players have actual "ratings" of skills other than the ratings given by leaderboards or statboards from games. But does the community of each game have to ruin the experience that a game is giving because of his or her liking? I am talking about game communities for most cases, not the games themselves.

"But it's rather getting old that the cause for a person to get mad is another person."

This sentence is very weird. The way I read this is basically you saying "You shouldn't get mad for a person making you mad" but I think I understand your point.

WoW was a game with players that pissed me off and so was Zone 4 because people dared to claim that they had a fictional term in that known as "Skill", I call this fictional because in game where the highest numbers on your clothes count, it's no longer  matter of skill. This have grown so large in my mind that I started to doubt that ANY game has any sense of skill in them - It's all down to pure dumb luck and nothing else.

But to say that the community is to blame.. I would say No. Sure I stay away from League of Legends because that community reeks from miles away, but you can bypass that entirely by having an already set community like for example Ajsa (Though a little bird whispered in my ear that some members do suffer from elitism-mentality here as well~) and thus substituting a bad community with a good one. In fact, that has happened before with bad places where the people themselves have taken charge and made something better.

LSSJGamer likes this

holy wall of text batman

from the slight skimming i did it does make sense, all be it obvious

its not the "toxic gamers" that are a problem its the nature of the internet that's the problem

Why bother with rage-inducing games if you can't handle some schmucks using profanity? I personally am very bad at so-called "competitive games", so I stay away from them, so that I wouldn't have to bother with pre-adolesecent kids in the chat or wherever. It's too tempting to start retaliating and also your mood has a role to play in all that. If I'm having a bad day, I don't care who you are, if you get on my nerves, you'll be able to add some new words to you vocabulary.

Well, there are times that those rage-inducing games happen to have the gameplay that is actually appealing and what alot of other players other than myself have been looking for.

"But it's rather getting old that the cause for a person to get mad is another person."

This sentence is very weird. The way I read this is basically you saying "You shouldn't get mad for a person making you mad" but I think I understand your point.

WoW was a game with players that pissed me off and so was Zone 4 because people dared to claim that they had a fictional term in that known as "Skill", I call this fictional because in game where the highest numbers on your clothes count, it's no longer  matter of skill. This have grown so large in my mind that I started to doubt that ANY game has any sense of skill in them - It's all down to pure dumb luck and nothing else.

But to say that the community is to blame.. I would say No. Sure I stay away from League of Legends because that community reeks from miles away, but you can bypass that entirely by having an already set community like for example Ajsa (Though a little bird whispered in my ear that some members do suffer from elitism-mentality here as well~) and thus substituting a bad community with a good one. In fact, that has happened before with bad places where the people themselves have taken charge and made something better.

Well, I can relate similarly with your experience with WoW and Zone 4 because of Dragon Nest SEA. I don't exactly mind the imbalances before the release of the 60 cap (and now we just got our 70 cap) and it has had its differences in the game because of class and gear discrimination when it comes to making parties through the most simple nests/dungeons that drop loots that are benefficial to everyone anyways for the sake of "efficiency" and what not.

And also, from my open letter, the reason why I mentioned the community is because games are supposed to be the ones giving you its experience, and it should NEVER be hindered by human interference with acts of toxicity. Which is why I made this open letter in support to someone who was "advertising" it in our chatgroup. It is a call for help.

If gamers can reform, the internet will follow suit... Wait, what!? Yes, the gamers help speed this along. You have MILLIONS of gamers out there and they spread this toxicity accross the internet. The, 'Thugs,' were the ones who spelt bad, but then here comes some gamers. It starts getting spread around like a cancer. "I can't type all of it out, I'll die!" I just typed my full sentence out faster then your short sentence. We got keyboards on our phones, that should have ended the cancerous bad text. However, we also have a lot of, "Thugs," talking about shooting people and killing people and doing drugs and bragging about drugs and learning about drugs. This is why our community is so bad. We have all these people playing games, doing drugs and being alcoholics and MUCH MORE while kids are looking up to them. Then, they turn around and teach these kids their toxic behaviors. It is wrong.

Dear Gamers,

(TL;DR? Skip to the last paragraph)

I was just hanging out in a chatroom in Chatango and one person who somewhat assumed I was a (offensive word removed) was “advertising” his blog about ragers, trashtalkers, and for some reason, game developers too.Here is the link that he was "advertising" http://thatdudewhoplaysgames.wordpress.com/2014/02/24/an-open-letter-to-ragers-and-trashtalkers-as-well-as-game-developers/

I can forgive that person for assuming I was a (offensive word removed) because of my usual antics and what not in the chatroom, as well as that person was just new to the group. But I would like to get back on-topic about the blog he or she made. As I was reading his/her post, he or she was very polite. Instead of adding swears, insults, and slurs, he or she just explained politely what he or she hears and sees through the chatbox and voice chat. Which begs the question: What are games? Are they meant to be fun? Are they meant to be taken seriously, regardless of how little is at stake?

I’ve been playing games competitively and casually for a fairly long time. I have also wondered if I really want to become a professional gamer as well. Well, I’ll be honest, I still want to be a professional gamer to this day, but I know that no matter how much I keep playing to improve my skills, I will never be fit or skilled to become one. Then, I asked myself if I play it for fun or not. I just realized that what brought me to that path was because I had fun, and what is fun is normally what people want to keep doing. Which is why I pursued to become a professional gamer, but then failed. I just play games for the experience that each game offers, if and/or because I find them fun.

But really, my biggest concern are those toxic players.

For those who really want to make their respective game communities peaceful, you guys should do your part in making the game’s experience more enjoyable or more endurable. Don’t whip them newbies with things like “F*ck you man, uninstall the game” or something similar. Help them to get things right. However, if you have been doing your part to make the game more enjoyable or more endurable, but you see or feel as there is no improvement, don’t stop. Your community needs the likes of you, even if they think they don’t. They will regret not having you around, whether they know it or not.

For those who choose to rage, blame, spew out insults, slurs, and offensive language/s, please… if you have nothing better to say, then keep your hands/fingers off the voice chat or the chatbox. You are just filling up a screen that makes it harder to see what is really going on. Just because your team and/or your opponents have been doing things that frustrate you, using the chatbox is just something that makes the overall experience of the game more stressful. If using insults, slurs, and offensive language is your technique to winning… it just proves that you can’t play the game. If you choose to blame your teammates for your/their incompetence, or fail to accept that the other team just outplayed you and your team to getting the win, then please stop queuing up alone. And for those who do end up losing their patience, I can’t blame you for giving a f*ck. But please, if you do so, you’ll just end up inspiring him to do more. HOWEVER, if that person refuses to stop, regardless of how much you ignore him, then that is beyond your control already. Which would then lead me to my other concern.

Game Devs… Just get this one thing right.

If you guys are going to make an online multiplayer game, let alone having PVP multiplayer feature in it, please make a chatblock feature. If you guys have implied that, be sure that it is as easy as 1, 2, 3, and not having to leave the lobby or room just to do that. Maybe a simple “rightclick + ignore” would be easier. And it would be much appreciated if it blocks voice chat and chat through the chatbox effective immediately after activating them. Why do so? This may introduce a cold-shoulder effect or something, but it is a good idea to further lessen the victim’s intake of the toxicity of players who rage, blame, talk trash, use offensive language, and so on. Plus, sometimes it is not the game that drives the players to stop playing your game… it is the players in it, or more specifically the ones who just make the game’s experience worse. Come on guys, you are still gamers. Guess what? Other game developers have applied and simplified it. I mean, look at League of Legends which allegedly has the most toxic gaming community. Riot has added a chatblock feature just by pressing no more than 2 buttons.

To make things short:

1.) Gamers, please make the game more enjoyable or more endurable.

2.) Ragers, blamers, trashtalkers, basically toxic players, please don’t make the game’s experience a headache. You are making us looks bad.

3.) Game devs, please add and/or simplify the chatblock feature in your online multiplayer games. There are lots of people out there that would rather piss off others for their incompetence or for the sake of one’s own pleasure at another’s expense.

4.) This letter is barely scratching the surface. There are other issues other than this.

Yours truly, a reformed toxic player named Deso

(This is copied and pasted from my Tumblr http://desokun.tumblr.com/post/77778956386/an-open-letter-to-gamers just incase someone is going to ask)

I actually agree with you.  However I sometimes have been a trash talker/toxic player.  It can be funny but all it does is ruin the game as you said.  When I try and live stream a game of COD on my PS4 I have people in the game calling me names like "Mong" and "Wanker" even though they've never spoke to me before.  A lot of people don't realise that COD (and other games) have a mute function so you can't hear other players, so many times they leave themselves open to trashtalking etc.

Just this morning I had some Italian guy call me names because I trashed him and his team on COD using the Chainsaw which is considered one of the worse weapons in the game.  I just muted him and carried on playing.

Sometimes team mates are to blame, for example when I'm trying to C4 a tank on BF4, I expect someone to keep the tank distracted while I sneak up and C4 it. Works like a charm if your fast enough, when I see someone trying to C4 an enemy tank I always keep the tank distracted allowing them to get close.