• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Platina32

[SPOILERS] Mass Effect 3's Ending

Mass Effect's ending   38 members have voted

1. 1. Were people overreacting to the ending of Mass Effect?

• Yes.
    • No.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

31 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I finished the whole Mass Effect trilogy for the first time. Played it from the first mission of the first game, to the last of the last with the same Shepard. Let me first say: this game trilogy is absolutely fantastic. There are few games with this amount of content, replay value and good game mechanics all in one. After the Elder Scrolls, the Mass Effect-franchise is now my favourite. 

Now, I wanna say something about the ending. Prior to playing the three games, I've heard a lot of controversy about the ending. I know there was a lot of criticism about it, but I didn't know the finer details about it, because I didn't want to spoil the game for myself. 

Gameplay-wise, the last mission was absolutely epic. It really felt like it was the end of the ever-lasting battle that started in the first Mass Effect-game. So that was very satisfying. I was almost literally tied to my computer screen by the time I reached the final choice. When I got there, I was given 2 options. This surprised me a little bit, because I thought there would be three (I'll come back to this later). I chose the option that destroys the reapers, rather than controlling them. The ending cutscenes were rather satisfying, and after watching them, I really felt like I'd completed something significant. Then I was done, and I reflected back to 93 hours of gameplay. 

Then I searched online a bit as to what choices led to what results and what possibilities there were. There was only one thing that struck me: in order to get a high "Effective Military Ranking", you need to finish as much missions as possible to gain war assets, but ALSO, you HAVE to play online to get the "galaxy ready". This was rather disappointing. I played this game only in single player, because the multiplayer didn't appeal to me. Now the internet tells me that I needed to play online in order to get better ending results and the possibility of the earlier-mentioned third option. 

BUT: that is the only point of critique I have about the ending. Everything I was perfectly fine with. The ending felt like a satisfying end to the epic storyline and I really felt like I had accomplished something. Was all this controversy about the ending necessary?

No, I think not. The journey to the ending was amazing and that's what it's all about. Now, the series' best-known trope is the "bad ending", while the series itself is filled with amazing stories and gameplay. It doesn't deserve that negative note. The ending wasn't bad enough to justify that. 

Take into account, that playing the series now, offers you all the DLC, particularly the Extended Cut which was not there for the initial release, and was in fact created solely because of the uproar regarding the ending.

More on point, the ending Is decent, at best. Some people could argue that It's a travesty, and a complete disservice to the franchise. I'm inclined to agree with them.

The variations of the endings, are minor. Then there's the fact that there's 3 specific endings, in contrast to the fact that Bioware stated that such a thing would not be. The lore surrounding the ending is terrible, and completely destroys what was established in the 2 previous games.

I could rant about why the ending sucked, in specifics, but the best example I think I can give, is this; After the games initial release, when It was still new, the Indoctrination theory gained popularity.

And It did so with good cause. The points brought up in favor of the Indoctrination theory were so sound, It actually was a completely genuine and plausible explanation for why the ending was so terrible. You should watch the first releases of the theory, they're on Youtube. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but the endings were so terrible, the idea that It wasn't even real makes perfect sense.

To summarize; The controversy may have been exaggerated, It is just a game after all, but the simple fact is, we weren't wrong. The endings are bad. We can subjectively state why It is at least not as good as the other games in the series.

Actually you can get synth without playing multiplayer. I did it.

Take into account, that playing the series now, offers you all the DLC, particularly the Extended Cut which was not there for the initial release, and was in fact created solely because of the uproar regarding the ending.

More on point, the ending Is decent, at best. Some people could argue that It's a travesty, and a complete disservice to the franchise. I'm inclined to agree with them.

The variations of the endings, are minor. Then there's the fact that there's 3 specific endings, in contrast to the fact that Bioware stated that such a thing would not be. The lore surrounding the ending is terrible, and completely destroys what was established in the 2 previous games.

I could rant about why the ending sucked, in specifics, but the best example I think I can give, is this; After the games initial release, when It was still new, the Indoctrination theory gained popularity.

And It did so with good cause. The points brought up in favor of the Indoctrination theory were so sound, It actually was a completely genuine and plausible explanation for why the ending was so terrible. You should watch the first releases of the theory, they're on Youtube. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but the endings were so terrible, the idea that It wasn't even real makes perfect sense.

To summarize; The controversy may have been exaggerated, It is just a game after all, but the simple fact is, we weren't wrong. The endings are bad. We can subjectively state why It is at least not as good as the other games in the series.

Did you ever look down at your feet during the final march on the REDACTED It looks hilarious. Well it did anyway, they removed your ability to look down that far in the extended cut. I guess Shepard's feet are off limits.

It wasn't just that it was bad from a story, buildup, and gameplay perspective it's that without the extended cut so much of what is shown either doesn't even make sense or isn't even possible. They were clearly going in a completely different direction at one point then tried to change their minds suddenly and ran out of time, money, and/or voice actor availability and were left with a nonsensical mess.

Dlmc and Berserker like this

I think it was definitely an over reaction and wasn't anywhere near as bad as others made out. However, I could understand why people were so pissed off, mainly because a month or so before the release of ME3 I think it was Casey Hudson who said in an interview that our choices will have huge sway in the ending etc etc. I was disapointed when I finished it, but definitely not angry, it was still a fantastic game.

Bring on ME4!

I was really surprised by the flak people created over the ending. I never thought the ending was particularly good; it wasn't particularly bad, just meh. The third game was awesome, and my experience wasn't diminished at all by the ending.

I haven't experienced a bigger WTF ending since A.I.

Pre-EC, it is garbage. But with Extended Cut, i think it is atleast salvageable.  Looking back on it now, I've seen far worse ending. The main cause of the huge uproar(IMO) is how it ended up being exactly what they said it wouldn't be. They blatantly lied to us. That's what hurt the most, not the ending itself.

But I don't get people saying it ruined the whole series for them. Maybe the third game, but each game still had great moments. 

Personally, I always hated Indoctrination Theory(aswell as Happy end mod). I though they were actually worse then what we got. 

Dlmc likes this

I thought the third game was a hell of a ride, even though they DID take out a lot of the RPG mechanics by then. As for the ending.......meh I was kinda used to lienar games/stories so I wasn't expectng Bioware to have three separate and different endings. When I found out it was just a color swap however, ok yeah I was a bit mad.

But overall, was it an overreaction? Yeap. Even with the Extended Cut, a lot of people were raging over some details of the ending. It's like those Final Fantasy fanboys who wrote to Square to change the story in FFVII where Aeris died. 

Please, please, not with this again. The ending was awful but Mass Effect 3 was an average game even without it. It had a lot of flaws and compared to the first two games was awful but seriously this is beating a dead horse with a dead horse who was beaten with a dead horse.

And no it wasn't an overreaction. The ending was unacceptable, does that mean that Bioware had to change it? Hell no, they shouldn't have, it became such a ridiculous matter after that. Argh, soft spot for me.

Dlmc likes this

Gonna have to agree with Orpo.

While the ending was shit, the rest of the game wasn't great either.

This is one of those topics that has been done to the point of absurd.

Legolas_Katarn and like this

Funny thing is, that the DLC made my game experience worse,...those horrible bugs and glitches.

No people were not overreacting.

Yes, the game wasn't that great. Everything went wrong for me after Rannoch.

The extendet cut is like you put a little plaster on a wound that's too big for it to cover. It fixes something, but not everything.

This is one of those topics that has been done to the point of absurd.

You and Orpo just want to cover that fact that you two are responsible for the ending!!! Curse you Gomly!!! You won't get my money next time!!!

You and Orpo just want to cover that fact that you two are responsible for the ending!!! Curse you Gomly!!! You won't get my money next time!!!

The ending you got was more down to Orpo .... I wanted more sparkles but he said no, sparkly was just going to far and would ruin it.

ofFireandStone and like this

Actually you can get synth without playing multiplayer. I did it.

There was a patch that came in later that increased the value of your assets, initially I think it was impossible to get the best ending unless you'd purchased and played through DLC in the earlier ME games as well as playing in a very specific manner through all 3 games.

Also I wish they'd bring back the loot system from the first ME game.

The ending you got was more down to Orpo .... I wanted more sparkles but he said no, sparkly was just going to far and would ruin it.

You despicable whistleblower!

Gone and ofFireandStone like this

Reasons why I did not like the origional ending:

• All of the choices ruined my Shepard's personality.

Red: Genocide of many differenct species (like the Geth)

Blue: Shepard told TIM that you cannot control the Reapers, so why would I try to control them?

Green: Forces change on everyone. This is a bad choice to take after talking about how the differences of the races made them strong.

• The Mass Rely blows up. This means that all the work that I did to unite the galaxy was pretty much undune and history is to repeat its self. Also, the Mass Relys were known to go supernova when destroyed, so good bye to everyone you know except for your crew that is stuck on a random planet. The ending cut scenes did not show any of the other planets to reassure you that they survived the rely explosion.
  • Really short cut scenes with little differences between them felt half-assed. Also, the cut scenes ended with something like "Buy DLC!"
  • The Reapers went from a mysterious enemy with reasoning that others could not understand to an ai controlled army that didn't really have a solution to their problem. So they decided to just band aid it by making sure the problem never really happens to the full extent.

The Series was good, but the ending kind of undid ever Shepard playthrough I ever did. It was like eating an amazing meal only to have my last bite taste like shit. That last bite is pretty important.

Now the dlc gave me a forth option that allowed my Shepard to stay in character, so I am at least able to make peace with the ending. There still are many flaws with it, but at least that part was fixed.

There was a patch that came in later that increased the value of your assets, initially I think it was impossible to get the best ending unless you'd purchased and played through DLC in the earlier ME games as well as playing in a very specific manner through all 3 games.

Also I wish they'd bring back the loot system from the first ME game.

Well I don't know if I played it before that patch it was my first playthrough (don't remember how long after release it was), I did play some of the DLC for ME2 (none for the first one). I did play a certain way though, I maxed both paragon and renegade (or nearly so anyway) in the first game. Harder to pull that off in the second but I came close, honestly I can see synth requiring a certain playstyle to achieve. Making peace between the Quarians and the Geth and similar things.

I want the loot system back too, nothings beats loot systems!

I managed to get wind of the uproar before getting too far into ME3 and so held off a little, that or I was busy playing the games fully from the begining in a mega marathon attempt. Either way my point is that I only ever had the extended cut endings and was tentative with my expectations. Playing through it from that perspective, and with only viewing one ending (destroy), I thought it was good.

Obviously it went WAY off course at the end, would of been much better to have gone with something Laviathan orientated I'd say. And yes viewing all the endings side by side makes it clear how cheap it was. But overall, as a series, money very well spent and I lost no sleep about the ending.

LoreMaster and Platina32 like this

I love the trilogy, I was introduced to the first game when I played at a friends house. After that I bought the the trilogy pack and beat each of them many times. thought right before the ending, bringing your fleet in an epic cinematic was milking awesome. The ending fell flat, but the updated one did some good, tied loose ends for me. 

Gotta agree with Orpo & cie, the endings were shitty. Stupid Deus Ex Machinima plot device.
The game, however? Eh... I thought it was pretty streamlined, dumbed down. Far less quests, not as much freedom as before and I gotta say, I was pissed off to learn that you have to pay some Mass Effect 2's DLCs (I'm looking at you Kasumi) to get differents quest's endings. Felt cheap and wronged.

However, the music was top-notch. Can't argue on that point.

However, the music was top-notch. Can't argue on that point.

The only ones i liked were the ones taken from Mass Effect 2, the others sounded ok except those obnoxious "sad/romance" themes.

The only ones i liked were the ones taken from Mass Effect 2, the others sounded ok except those obnoxious "sad/romance" themes.

You can't beat Leaving Earth or An End Once and For All

You can't beat Leaving Earth or An End Once and For All

I was talking exacly about those :D .

They feel really cheap and lazy to me but that's my opinion.