• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Jackschmit

# of buttons for ESO skill bar, GOOD OR BAD?

54 members have voted

1. 1. DO YOU THINK there should be more buttons for ESO skill bar?

• YES (i feel to limited with my attacks/support moves)
    • NO (the Limited # of skills Allows be to focus on the few skills i like, AND helps hkeep track of how many abilities my foes can use.)
    • ... how many skills can i use in ESO?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

47 posts in this topic

Do you want MORE attacks? do you like what they have done? SPEAK UP! I am confliced because i got a new gaming mouse with X12 buttons on the side and now i feel over 1/2 are wasted. HOWEVER I like that my nme can't pull ANYTHING outa his ass to rape me. All in all, i like what they did. but i am worried i will need more buttons.

I thought the skill thing was REALLY dumb for a MMO with Elder scrolls Flare, a world were u can use ANY skill should allow u to do so on the fly but then comes the MMO well cheeky bastards.

i would get the mouse any way and use it on other games!

mouse is paid for, thinking of putting PTT for teamspeak (i assume that is what we use) on it

mouse is paid for, thinking of putting PTT for teamspeak (i assume that is what we use) on it

yea that works but be careful u may bump it well playing 

I really like the limited skill bar in both GW2 and ESO In any game you use primarily 5-7 skills with the others being situational or optional or down right unnessary.

Or they could have done it like rift and given you 20-30 and allowed you to make a marco that contained all of them on one button press.

I really like the limited skill bar in both GW2 and ESO In any game you use primarily 5-7 skills with the others being situational or optional or down right unnessary.

Or they could have done it like rift and given you 20-30 and allowed you to make a marco that contained all of them on one button press.

I think GW2 did it prefectly.....while ESO did to few.

10-12 is prefect for me. (ESOs 6 is to few)

I like the ESO way!

altho Rift 1 button macros were kinda funny also :D

Honestly, I feel fine with the limited skill-bar but at the same time I would like at least one more slot, just so Soul Trap could be locked into it and will not "cost" me a skill-hotkey!

Granted, I haven't gotten to Lv15 yet so I don't know what it feels like to have two weapon-sets and be able to switch between them and their associated skill-bars. Perhaps the weapon-set switching would mean we effectively have 10 skill-slots making this a non-issue.

key-sha and GreenBubbl like this

the skills are really enough,as you cannot spam abillitys anyways and you need to combine them with standard hits anyway,and combine this with the weaponswap at lvl15 you can use a total of 10 abillitys and 2 ultimates wich is more then enough i think.

the only thing i would prefer is 3quickslots to put potions in instead of that 1 uitillity slot wich you have to swith durring combat

but i think its good that the screen isnt getting cluttered with every shitty abillity that you got like in wow

lordopit has a valid point about the soultrap slot

I am in favor of the simple hotbar which I think makes for a less overwhelming experience. Instead of scanning virtually every ablility I have access to across the screen I just a simple interface with the ablilities I am using at the moment. Which I can switch around at my leasure. I feel it could use maybe one or two more buttones but thus far I haven't had a problem.

To be honest, even in those old school MMO's with several hotbars on-screen, most players often used a bunch of abilities repeatedly and reliably. 12 abilities (2 of which are Ultimates) is awesome and more than enough! It'd most likely make sense to place Soul Trap with one weapon-set and leave it out of the other.

I still need to check out how the weapon-swapping itself is done, i.e. how does weapon-swapping affect cool-downs and does weapon-swapping have its own cool-down?

• The limit on skills makes me feel unique (every other sorcerer I saw in the game had obviously made different spell choices than me, and I loved that).
  • The lack of cool downs means the choice of passives and skill morphs interesting as well.. I might have the same skill slotted as another person in my group but my version might have a AOE root, while theirs restores magicka (or something). Very cool.
  • Weapon swapping extends your capabilities as well; it might be as minor as a second set of skills using the same weapon (a second destruction staff, for example) or something completely different like a sword and board.

I really thought I hated this game (2 betas ago) but now that I understand the UI and how things fit together I really like it. The limited keyboard gymnastics lets me feel like I'm playing a game and not an interface.

I also feel that this design may help new/returning players get into the game.

I tried to get back into games like RIFT, WOW,EQ2 and LOTRO but the sheer number of hotbars and cooldowns (IE, buttons you slot you need to use but can only do so rarely) can make getting back up to speed after a long absence difficult. This was especially true with RIFT where they seemed to always have reset my skill trees so I'd have to re-select everything and then re populate my hotbars and figure out why certain macros (to chain together redundant spells) weren't working due to spell changes or renames. 

Now I only have to worry about 5 boxes (if things get reset) and I can start playing again.

JBeans, deemon and GreenBubbl like this

I still need to check out how the weapon-swapping itself is done, i.e. how does weapon-swapping affect cool-downs and does weapon-swapping have its own cool-down?

As I understood it from beta, there aren't cool downs on skills. If you have the magicka you can cast (after the appropriate cast time from your last/current spell has finished).

The ultimate spell feels like a cooldown (as it refills) but it's based on you killing things.. so.. in a big fight you'll be able to use it again pretty quickly.

Consumables do have cooldowns if I recall correctly.

As I understood it from beta, there aren't cool downs on skills. If you have the magicka you can cast (after the appropriate cast time from your last/current spell has finished).

The ultimate spell feels like a cooldown (as it refills) but it's based on you killing things.. so.. in a big fight you'll be able to use it again pretty quickly.

Consumables do have cooldowns if I recall correctly.

ESO has CDs but they are more based on animations so you don't really notice it.

Still wish they used a 10-12 slot with weapon swap change but oh well.

Hopefully they will make sorcerers more appealing to me in future.

I don't want to see my screen become the massive toolbar fest in some WoW setups, but I have 10 usable number buttons, so being able to use that many would be nice.  GW2, you have 5 weapon skills, a heal, 3 slots, and an elite.  Something like that would've been nice.

Honestly, I feel fine with the limited skill-bar but at the same time I would like at least one more slot, just so Soul Trap could be locked into it and will not "cost" me a skill-hotkey!

-----

personally, I find that gathering souls (at least for pvp) works best if you pop the skill onto action bar when running back to the front lines from a base that is a ways away, then just killing a wolf/lion/imperial NPC on route. they even sell the grans soul gems from a vendor in the area (124G i think) then just return the skill you want to action bar as you enter the front line.

I really thought I hated this game (2 betas ago) but now that I understand the UI and how things fit together I really like it. The limited keyboard gymnastics lets me feel like I'm playing a game and not an interface.

-------

Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing.... then i got to Cyrodiil :D

This may be the 1st MMORGP where I completely ignore PVE content and straight up PVP with all my time.

SloppyG likes this

I gotta agree with pretty much everyone here, especially LordOfPit's idea of locking Soul Trap into the hotbar for all setups. I'm completely fine with 5 skill slots, one ultimate and one "quick-use" slot but personally I would like to have 6 skill slots, 1 ultimate, and 2 item slots and one permanent Soul Trap slot per loadout. Isn't at all cluttered and it just gives more options for what you can have in your skillsets, maybe even combining two skill lines together.

Maybe they could go with 12345 for skills, 6 is permanent soul trap, R for ultimate, and C,V for item slots. Idunno I'm sure there's a much simpler way than that but I would totally play it that way.

I'd rather keep my skills on numbers, mainly because I find I'm less likely to mash them by accident.  I didn't see a way to allow re-mapping of that in the last beta, but I also admit that I didn't look too closely.  I was spending the entire time trying to quest to level 10 :P

I agree with all of you that it's both clean and easier to play the game and will be much easier to come back to and get into playing...but I want just a few more buttons!

I keep messing up the quick slot for instance, so when I want healing there is a stamina potion there, or vice versa...really wasting potions on that stupid thing until i get comfortable with it.

And this game gives you the ability to skip crafting and just take spells/attacks...so it's possible you could have multiple healing and attack spells for instance if that is what you wanted. But they won't all fit on the bar! So the question becomes "can" you really be crazy with your build or do you have to plan based on the limitations inherent in the activation console? I understand the minimalistic approach, and I applaud the simplicity of it all (especially when I'm in first person mode)- but I would like the option of having more slots left up to my personal choice as opposed to game UI limitations. And as many people have said, lets see how things change after level 15, maybe I will be changing my mind at that point or really getting frustrated!

I know this has come under fire for ESO and also in GW2, but I really like this way of combat in MMOs. I've never really been one to get very far in MMOs so I never had to consistently deal with a ton of skills all at once. However, when I would start getting more skills it was always intimidating for me especially if I took a break from the game and then went back to it. I would never remember what was what and how I comboed things together. So...I really like the less skills idea. Allows me to keep track of everything I can do. Although I feel the game kind of improves on this system a bit more than how it was in GW2 by allowing the morphing of skills to make them more versatile. 

Jackschmit likes this

I think its good as it is, because not everyone has a mouse with many buttons on it. and if they had 10 skills, which would be on the 1-0 keys, you would always have to look away from the monitor for a second, so u wont hit the wrong button by accident. that would be fatal in pvp, because of the fact, that ESO is an action-based mmorpg. and i dont really like the idea of a game, that u have to configure manually to make it playable. sorry for my bad english :D

I've rarely had an issue with mashing the wrong key for skills, at least not for long.  Once the muscle-memory is built up, I'm golden.

.... when I would start getting more skills it was always intimidating for me especially if I took a break from the game and then went back to it. I would never remember what was what and how I comboed things together. So...I really like the less skills idea. Allows me to keep track of everything I can do.

Indeed I do like how it's easier to keep track of your own skills, and a potential enemies. But I still must say I want 1 more button..... just 1. Then everything falls into place.

<edit> Mayhaps I should mention I want that extra spot for Armor ability. :D