• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Twistedicame

What Genre you Clarify LoL, DoTA, HoN, Smite, and etc as?

Genre   36 members have voted

1. 1. What Genre you clarify LoL, DoTA, HoN, Smite as?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 posts in this topic

I truly do wonder how many people don't like calling MOBA games MOBAs. I still put MOBA's in the ARTS genre when explaining a MOBA to someone new. Multiplayer Online Battle Arena can legitimately be used for any online arena type game. Action Real Time Strategy helps define them since it plays more like them.

Dota-clone in in my opinion the best, MOBA is too generic.

Yeah, because Smite looks exactly like it was copy-pasted from DOTA files..

Ya, it's the same consept that DOTA started thus all MOBAs are a copy. It's like if CoD was the first FPS (not saying it was) all people would do is relate battlefeild to CoD because that was the first.

But.. you can't say that. Games in a genre are not copies of the first of the genre. That's a very ignorant thing to say.

The whole "MOBA is too generic" argument doesn't even make sense. As a title, it is far more descriptive than most titles on its own. Things like Dota-clone is absolutely worthless to people who doesn't already know the genre. It's not even like genre titles for other genre are that descriptive anyway. Titles like fighting, strategy, brawler, etc. are far more generic but no one seems to whine about them at all. I feel like people only whine about MOBA because Riot came up with it.

Someone had to coin a phrase for the genre, and people really are just annoyed that Riot came up with it.

Like it or not, most people will call them MOBAs.

^^ :) I have to say I thought the same before. But I saw with time that LoL is a completely different game for better or worst. This looks like a troll question for me since the MOBA term is already approved by almost everyone and Dota started it. I need to add that for example what I thought was a DC-Dota - IC is actually a LoL clone not a Dota clone. So I feel happy since every new game will be more like LoL not like Dota 2. Sad for LoL but I play only Teaches there anyway ;)

I just use MOBA, the terminology may be wrong or non-descriptive, but that is how the genre is widely known as. In language, if a word is used enough in a different context than what it's intended for, the word itself will either lose it's previous meaning or acquire both meanings. For language communication is more important than grammatical correctness in most cases, so as long as most people will recognize the genre as MOBA, it will be considered the correct term, regardless of terminology.

Moba sounds off, because almost every PvP game ever is a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena... Unreal tournament, Super Smash Brothers, StarCraft... Every game with precise boundaries in which players duke it out would fit...

It works better than Action RTS for sure though.  Try and tell me that Smite, SMNC and Awesomenauts are RTS games.

MOBA is a good term. It's generic, becouse not all games in the genre are DotA clones. Bloodline Champions was a great game, and it played nothing like DotA,  DOTA2, LoL, HoN, Dawngate, Infinite Chrisis, Smite, Prime World or Heroes of the Storm. It used WASD movement controlls, mouse was used to aim. But it was still the same genre.

The same was RTS games wildly differ - you got a C&C style, a WC2 style, hybrids like WC3 and CoH. That's just the fast paced RTS. And then you got more macro oriented games like Settlers series (also tehnicaly RTS).

Sol Omega likes this

Well, FPS have been called 'Doom-clones' till late 90s...

There is a Roguelike genre so I think there is a DOTAlike one too. Though by that logic I guess you could call every FPS a Doomlike (and since every game engine is a slightly different version of the doom engine you could say that all modern games are doomlike in terms of tech).