• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Arreyanne

A year later I played my 80 Ranger

17 posts in this topic

Well decided today to crank out my most fun toon in GW2 my ranger this picture says how it felt

gw004.jpg

Muzical likes this

Think that's bad? Try playing a Warrior until 80. Utterly useless in PvP unless you spec for hammers and PvE exploration dungeons unless you spec for rifles and/or swords. Not that that's worth it anyway since the only instance people only touch in Guild Wars 2 is the Ascalonian Catacombs and Citadel of Flame; only to farm tokens for the armour sets. Regardless though, that picture is not far from the truth.

I'm afraid to start playing again since all I'll be doing is spending a day's worth of time trying to re-spec into something remotely useful. 

The December trashing of my ranger was part of why I quit the friggin' game.  It's like every time a heavy class is bested by a non-heavy, anet decides that the non-heavy must be OP and need a "rebalance."

Nerfs sucks but I personally don't have to feel like my character has some sort of advantage over other classes to have fun. I'm still running the AOE trap build I came up with for my ranger over a year ago and it is still a blast to play.

As for warriors, I have fun with my PVP warrior using a bow, great sword and banners and never feel like I'm useless. Haven't taken my PVE warrior into any dungeons yet but I will do so soon and report back how her axe build holds up. She plows through mobs in open world PVE so I'm expecting great things. :)

actly turning my Rangers Pet off and wearing Berzerker armor i can Smash out 7-15k Dmg a Sec (Taking my 100% Crit into account) if i use my Cats i can add on another 5k-10k then toss in the Fury and Together as one and well u get the point (its not shocking if u go back to the Older builds with this set ud easy crank 22+K without ur pet)

AS a small note why post here at all if u hate the game now?

And i am VERY offended by that i happen to love my ranger and get plenty of compliments for being a Zerg

Sigma081 likes this

That reminds me, something else that should be mentioned about the Ranger is that both Ranger and Mesmer have lowered weapon damage output to offset pet/phantasm damage. You can actually take advantage of this by giving them the Lightning Hammer that elementalists summon. I forget the exact math behind it but somehow it bypass that natural lowered damage they normally have and combined with their other forms of damage make them two of the top DPSers in the game. I don't know if it is still true but I remember reading that a Mesmer phantasm build with with the Lightning Hammer has the highest DPS in the game.

That reminds me, something else that should be mentioned about the Ranger is that both Ranger and Mesmer have lowered weapon damage output to offset pet/phantasm damage. You can actually take advantage of this by giving them the Lightning Hammer that elementalists summon. I forget the exact math behind it but somehow it bypass that natural lowered damage they normally have and combined with their other forms of damage make them two of the top DPSers in the game. I don't know if it is still true but I remember reading that a Mesmer phantasm build with with the Lightning Hammer has the highest DPS in the game.

The Offset lowers the Standard stats Just a Bit so u cant Crank that 22k that i mention before 

Because Rangers could and WOULD one shot people they have a Trait that lets them have a FOR SURE CRIT HIT Same gos for Mesmers as there Blast could Wipe out whole Groups of players in PVP/WVW, Also Mesmers and Rangers Can turn into Great tanks witch is another reason for there small Slash

BTW,  I don't hate GW2. I've read some of the post by Dev;s concerning rangers and they say it's suppose to be played in melee mode. If i wanted to melee i'd play my thief, guardian, or make a warrior.

Some of the CDI stuff they've talked about is making a ranger like a necro, with debuffs and crap. If they go that way they'd have to redo the entire skill point trees. And if you look at the ranger traits there are several which indicate the class was original slated for a burst class. They lowered the damage done by pets IIRC 70% Rapid Fire got a 30% ghost nerf a few patches ago, Shortbow range was decreased to 900 meters why cause all the melee gap closers are 900 meters, GW2 is doing the same balancing act WoW did Blanceing all the professions around SPvP and the reason pets got nerfed was SPvP players couldnt kite them around the little red circles when capping

Muzical likes this

BTW,  don't hate GW2. I've read some of the post by Dev;s concerning rangers and they say it's suppose to be played in melee mode. If i wanted to melee i'd play my thief, guardian, or make a warrior.

Some of the CDI stuff they've talked about is making a ranger like a necro, with debuffs and crap. If they go that way they'd have to redo the entire skill point trees. And if you look at the ranger traits there are several which indicate the class was original slated for a burst class. They lowered the damage done by pets IIRC 70% Rapid Fire got a 30% ghost nerf a few patches ago, Shortbow range was decreased to 900 meters why cause all the melee gap closers are 900 meters, GW2 is doing the same balancing act WoW did Blanceing all the professions around SPvP and the reason pets got nerfed was SPvP players couldnt kite them around the little red circles when capping

Wait...rangers as melee...what???   That doesn't make sense in ANY game o_O  That word "range"...  Reason I wandered into this thread was that, when I saw the title as the last posted thread in the PC > RPG forum, I was thinking, "Wait, if she was 80 BEFORE the shortbow and pet nerfs...oh my....and December's changes..."  My ranger was like 6 or so when the shortbow/pet nerfs came down so I was hardly affected at all, or, rather, wasn't used enough to the way things used to be to miss them, (my guild leader, on the other hand, was furious and pretty much tossed aside his ranger,) but I got that toon to 80 pretty quickly on a build that used dodging and vigor a lot, both of which were the main targets of the December nerfs.  There weren't really any builds left for her that I wanted; maybe that'll change in the future.

I never really found my pet gave me any unfair advantage in sPvP; it was dead the second anyone came near me anyway and was jack all for capping.  Most good it did was required the other side to mash Tab one extra time to target me, but Thieves Guild, necro minions, my beloved ele's elementals, (not that I used those in sPvP or WvW,) and mesmer skills do the same thing, in terms of making me harder to target, which is to say they do diddle.  In WvW, my pets were even more useless.  And in fractals.  And dungeons.  Really, my ranger pets just spent almost all of their time dead and waiting for the swap ability to recharge.  (But I had enough zerker and rampager gear going on I could do enough damage on my own to not care.)  Is the Beastmaster skill line (or whatever it was called,) still useless?  Was the first time I had a toon with NO points in a skill line.

LOL i used my pets in WvW as follows, The Hound from the tree people had a regenative ability on the 2 slot pop my regen heal it goes away pop his. i had the pets on passive and it only attacked when I popped the 2 skill same with the bird i was using it had some kond of buff damage reduction or something. Funny thing is both my ElE and Ranger are in the same type of gear think zerker might be something else.

Went to the target dummys and ran my rotations D/D ele even with the nerfs that got sometime ago the Ele with the same gear same trinkets out damages my ranger almost double

That was the disheartening thing

Muzical likes this

Part of your ranger's damage (30%, from what I've read,) is tied up in the pet, so if the pet's dead or passive...  I know anet's been begged in the past to allow a stowed pet's damage to be reclaimed by the ranger, but I don't imagine that happening.  I'd rather the damage listed on the weapon is the damage I do, but that's me :P

As far as ele, I was doing support more often than not, (ele was the first toon I created and I'd mained Monk/Necro in GW1, so that was where I gravitated,) so staff and Mercy ruins were my bread and butter.  (I also can't not love being able to rain down fire; it makes me grin and glee.  30 in water and arcana and, for a long time, I was a happy, happy little asura.)  I also had an HotW set for when I was actually expected to damage anything :P  The D/D range is just too short for me; I prefer attacking from a range partially because, if I have too many things too close, my field of vision gets crowded and I mentally have a harder time focusing and parsing.  (Same reason spirit rangers drove me nuts in sPvP XD )  It's also why I invested in Eagle Eye the second I had enough points to do so (as well as warrior's LB equivalent.)  My ultimate issue with ele was that arcana got rather nerfed without making any of the other lines worth investing in, despite ANet's claims to the contrary.

I just always got the feeling, with ele and ranger more than any other classes, (and I had one of each class and race because I'm ridiculous :P 3 asura, 2 norn, one of everything else,) that ANet felt, "You're not playing this class the way we think you should, so we're going to change stuff to force you to our preferred play styles, even though none of us main non-heavy classes in PvX."  I'd happily start playing again if I felt that was changing.

There  are a ton of different ways to play an elementalist effectively. Want to do massive melee damage? Go Lightning Hammer. Want to do burst AOE DPS? Go Frost Bow. Want to be a support character, go Auramancer. Want to be a DPS/damage hybrid? Go fire staff/might stacking. Want to really buff the hell out of your teammates DPS? Go S/D and stack 18 stacks of might.

Being able to pwn a heavy class in 1v1 combat doesn't necessarily make you a good player or make your class a good one to play. Instead of waiting for Anet to give you an advantage, create your own advantages through intelligent team play and creative role focused builds. The fact that you think no trait lines other than Arcana are worth investing in for elementalist speaks volumes about your understanding of the class and the game itself.

Ysnar and Hawko like this

There  are a ton of different ways to play an elementalist effectively. Want to do massive melee damage? Go Lightning Hammer. Want to do burst AOE DPS? Go Frost Bow. Want to be a support character, go Auramancer. Want to be a DPS/damage hybrid? Go fire staff/might stacking. Want to really buff the hell out of your teammates DPS? Go S/D and stack 18 stacks of might.

Being able to pwn a heavy class in 1v1 combat doesn't necessarily make you a good player or make your class a good one to play. Instead of waiting for Anet to give you an advantage, create your own advantages through intelligent team play and creative role focused builds. The fact that you think no trait lines other than Arcana are worth investing in for elementalist speaks volumes about your understanding of the class and the game itself.

Ouch burn 

But i do agree u need to widen ur Class understanding and work on ur builds and Trait layout Gear counts too 

as i said before i found this offensive as a Ranger Zerg, My over all DPS is split with my Pet, this is the part were you Learn to CONTROL ur pet if there about to Die pull them back or switch them out dont let them die next even with the range Nerfs we still have the LONGEST reach with both Bows (u just need to trait in the top tree)

I didn't want to come across as being mean to her but I think a lot of people feel like it is the end of the world when their class is nerfed instead of adapting. While theoretically each class should be able to go 1v1 with any other class and stand an equal chance that just isn't reality. Regardless of nerfs every class has something to bring to the table in WvW, PVP, and PVE and while you may not be the highest DPS you can still be an important part of the team.

I didn't want to come across as being mean to her but I think a lot of people feel like it is the end of the world when their class is nerfed instead of adapting.

While theoretically each class should be able to go 1v1 with any other class and stand an equal chance that just isn't reality. Regardless of nerfs every class has something to bring to the table in WvW, PVP, and PVE and while you may not be the highest DPS you can still be an important part of the team.

-it was a bit mean but needed to be said if u dont understand the Backbone of a MMO(RPG Elements) then u can never adapt to the sudden changes that happen in mmos all the time

-again it all comes down to three things play style, Build, Gear all u need to do is meet 2/3 of these requirements to own in a 1v1 fight the problem now is GW2 has some REAL Vet guilds that teach all 3 so most of the time u get smashed in a 1v1

Hmm, exactly. Elementalists may not shine too brightly in the chaotic arenas of sPvP, but their versatility is a treat to see in a group or a zerg.

Hmm, exactly. Elementalists may not shine too brightly in the chaotic arenas of sPvP, but their versatility is a treat to see in a group or a zerg.

as stated above u learn ur class they can shine any were