• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Ucantstopdafunk

Can anyone tell me about some great strategy games on steam?

33 posts in this topic

I really love strategy games. mostly 4X and RTS games. My favorite Strategy games are Anno 2070, Galactic Civilizations II, Civilization V and starcraft 2. Can anyone think of any games similar to those that they like and can recommend? I will apreaciate anything that you can tell me.

FlurpDurp likes this

Rome: Total War.

Company of Heroes.

Sargefan19 likes this

XCOM: Enemy Within. I have a lot of hours thrown at that game. Probably more hours than I have for Civ V

I am a fan of the Supreme Commander series, as well as the Age of Empires series.

You may also like Banished, though it seems it has a niche that it belongs to. I recommend watching TotalBiscuit's "WTF is..." on it.

Medieval 2 Total War if you mod the crap out of it.

Same thing with Rome 1.

Civ 5 and its expansions. I suck at it, but I enjoyed myself so much in them that I don't even notice how much time has passed while playing it.

Civ 5 and its expansions. I suck at it, but I enjoyed myself so much in them that I don't even notice how much time has passed while playing it.

one time I started playing a game of Civ 5 on a Friday afternoon at a friends house, I stopped playing Sunday night, two day had gone by and I didn't even realize it

that game is like crack!

Mr_E_Meatshield likes this

If you like 4x games then the recently released Age of Wonders 3 and Warlock 2 are both great. They are like civ in a magic setting.

What about:

-Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun & its expansion (Free and sanctioned release by EA)

-OpenRA

-Tropico 3

-Tropico 4

Dont forget that for every good game there is an equally good mod. For sins of a galactic empire rebellion there are starwars and star trek mods. Both differant and worth the downloads.star trek is all about shields, star wars is all about capital ships and fighters (though at this stage of development the crazy amounts fighters your empire will amass causes lag on lower end pc's and multiplayer.

I would recommend company of heroes 1 over 2

i would also recommend men of war assault squad (get the skirmish missions off mod db, and i also recommend the never ending battles mod  as it makes you car about your tanks a hell of a lot more as the enemy sends hoards of enemies against you. Germany vs russia feels more realistic as you see hundreds of conscripts and t34's, as well as other tanks, charge your position. Many of my friends take a look at the defenses and think that it is going to be a cake walk until they see 10 t34's charging at your anti tank guns and they realise that they need to fortify the shit out of that position. Later waves, once you get pushed back to the final position will have as many as 3 is2's and the occasional is3 charging at you in a single wave (basically the heaviest russian tanks, when you play you will understand why this is so bad) however your superior german troops and tanks will make short work of them as long as you keep the at guns filled with shells and your mg's filled with ammo.)

Yea i love that mod, just get the game it is great. Men of war assault squad 1 not 2

Warhammer 40k dawn of war; my favoured expansion is dark crusade with the annihilation mod which boosts elite unit health to the tens of thousands as well as boosting damage outputs adding more units and respecing races to be more like the board game (orks have more less health units, etc)

Wargame airland battle, and the newer red dragon are great fun. Red dragon added navy which has a different style of gameplay to land and is a welcome change.

Basically get every strategy game you enjoyed and mod the damn thing for a new experience.

For empire builders you have paradox games like victoria 2, hearts of iron 3, and europa universails 4 (best game by far)

mods them as well

So many games, so many hours of gameplay, then you discover mods and just black out at the mind numbing potential of your gaming library

I personally have recently enjoyed playing Dragon commander and Age of Wonders 3 so I do recommend those the former being an RTS where you can take control of a dragon with a jetpack to aid your troops and the latter a turn based strategy with magic spells to aid your army or hinder the enemy

I've been playing Galactic Civilizations II, it's a hell of a 4x very in dept diplomacy and combat with awesome ship costumization you should check it out

one time I started playing a game of Civ 5 on a Friday afternoon at a friends house, I stopped playing Sunday night, two day had gone by and I didn't even realize it

that game is like crack!

I remember I first game, was meant to be studying and before I knew it, 6 hours had passed and it was 3am! Such a fun game. I know not a lot of people are big onit as I had expected but AoE2:HD is always good fun

Another suggestion, Evil Genius is a classic strategy game to me at least, taking the side of evil, building an underground volcano lair and sending minions out to do nefarious deeds, it's a great concept for sure but arguable that it's not executed as well as it could be but I've always enjoyed that game.

A lot of People are not big on AoE:2HD becouse regular AOE:2 still works fine on modern PCs.

If you liked Anno2070 you might like Anno1404 or the Settlers series witch is simmilar (both are geman made, and one of the studios that is signed under Anno is also signed under Settlers games).

A lot of People are not big on AoE:2HD becouse regular AOE:2 still works fine on modern PCs.

If you liked Anno2070 you might like Anno1404 or the Settlers series witch is simmilar (both are geman made, and one of the studios that is signed under Anno is also signed under Settlers games).

That's certainly true, community is a lot of newer players who aren't good and I'm usually stuck with no local games causing a lag fest.

I thought Endless Space was pretty cool, worth looking up at least. Picked it up on a 66-75% off sale a while back and had some fun with it.

Im with joe here, endless space is the best space-setting 4x game since moo2 imo except that its combat is like the absolute worst, its such a shame. I have a 50% off steam coupon for it though if someone is interested.

I really like rise of nations as well, with the expansion thrones and patriots (though its still good without the xpac). Its like age of empires 1-2 only going from stone age to nuclear icbms. Its also way more advanced in economy and city planning. Basically imagine an RTS game that kinda feels "big and deep" like a 4x game. Thats rise of nations imo. Though someone me mentioned sins of a solar empire as well. That kinda does it even MORE than rise of nations. Though i didnt like that game as much (i sill like it alotand think it is one of the best rts games out there).

One MAJOR thing i love about sins is that the game world is massive, and travelling around it is not nearly as fast as other rts games. This sounds like needless slowdown but it makes the big strategy so much deeper. It means you need multiple fronts and strike forces and even reserves because attacking with your whole army and scrambling to defend with it will make you lose. Similarly, if you react to a battle 3 seconds slow it doesnt ruin your battle, they are more drawn out than that. Unfortunately the flaw ino was that flagships were too important to battles IMO. Certain flagships special abilities were just too good when combined with others and i think they could make a bigger impact than even doubling your army size.

Of course i havent played since like a year before the expansion so maybe it is more balanced now.

I havent played ag of wonders 3 much yet but so far my impression is that while it is good so far i enjoyed 2 more. It is definately worth checking out though.

I have a question though, is anyone aware of any strategy games on te pc like advance wars? Im aware of battalion wars for flash but it just seemed a bit too similar to advance wars yet not actually hetter and made me wanna just play advance wars instead.