• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Aquila

DC Universe vs. Champions Online, and the void of Superhero RPGs

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which game is better?

• DC Universe Online
    • Champions Online
    • Neither (explain your opinion)
    • City of Heroes (RIP)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

40 posts in this topic

I like superheroes. A lot. I like making my own superheroes and making stories about them. Unfortunately there's not that many games out there that allow you the freedom of making your own superhero with their own unique abilities and putting them in an open world with other people. It's kind of a romantic way of looking at MMOs I suppose. Ideally you have the PVPers who put in a lot of time and effort into building these characters to maximize their abilities to use against other people, but then you have the people who sort of want a character to have powers regardless of their effectiveness and to create a storytelling environment with other people.

Unfortunately I'm not sure that either of the current Superhero MMOs on the market are those things. I really wish there was more variety. This is such an unexpored market, and with the fall of City of Heroes I feel like I'll never know what the genre can really do having never played it myself.

There are aspects I like about DCUO, but a lot of it feels restrictive and kinda bland. And Champions allows more freedom, but it sticks a lot of the best shit behind paywalls and microtransactions. In DC I feel like no one gives a  damn about trying to convey a story outside of the typical and autonomous DC characters because you're kind of a third wheel in that setting, but in Champions Online the community... well let's face it, it's mostly composed of 15 year olds whose idea of a roleplay or dramatic story involves a lot of hypersexualization and immature character designs. Neither of these feels like a game that I can get either aspect of a roleplaying game out of. At least not to the best of its ability.

Which of the two games do you guys prefer? Is this a genre you guys would totally like to see more of or is it just doomed to fall to the wayside of fantasy-based MMOs? Is there a dark horse that will come and become the next alleged CoH?

DarkEclipse likes this

Is this a genre you guys would totally like to see more of or is it just doomed to fall to the wayside of fantasy-based MMOs? Is there a dark horse that will come and become the next alleged CoH?

Well, there is this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/missingworldsmedia/the-phoenix-project-city-of-titans

My hopes are not super-high, I mean it is an MMO being developed entirely by volunteers, but so far so good.  It hit it's kickstarter goal.  They're planning a beta for late 2015.  I hope they make it that far, because none of the successors we've had to City of Heroes has come close to measuring up to the original.

City of Heroes (and its expansion City of Villains) was absolutely, freaking brilliant. The sheer amount of freedom in customization and story that was available in that game was phenomenal. It was the ultimate superhero MMO, and I will hate NCSOFT till the day I die for killing it. 

Sadly, neither of the current superhero games hold a candle to the departed CoH. DC Universe Online (or as I like to call it: Side-kick Simulator 9000) is much, much too limited in scope, as the character customization, powers, and general story is just utterly lackluster. Champions Online, despite being made by the same studio who created CoH, doesn't compare either. Although it has the expansive character customization of CoH as well as much more variance in power sets, since it is owned by Perfect World Entertainment, you can expect to be nickel-and-dimed for EVERYTHING. Even subscribers don't get access to all the content, which is utterly stupid. 

All in all, I feel that of the two, Champions Online is the better superhero game. Although I like DCUO's graphics and battle system better, it gets old real fast since there's so little to do in that game besides running around as a gopher for the big-name heroes and villains. Champions has more freedom, but it suffers from outdated graphics and a gauntlet of paywalls that can get irritating at times. I'm sad to say that neither game is perfect. City of Heroes was as perfect a superhero MMO as you could get, but it's dead and gone. I'm hoping City of Titans will pull off the impossible and resurrect the wonder and adventure that CoH had, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Boss Ronin likes this

For me, City of Heroes was the reason I was willing to get into MMO's and subscribe. CoH/V was the pinnacle (my 1st server ;)) of both Superhero games and MMO gameplay to me and I have never found any MMO to top it yet.

Riflebird likes this

I'd have to pick Champions Online over DCUO purely for the customisation and content. DCUO just bores the ever living crap out of me at end game.

I never did get round to playing CoH though. Sadly, now I never will get chance.

I have and like both but haven't played either in months to be honest. I think changing the combat system to a more modern style would revamp the super hero mmo's. That and not being cheap with the customization options.

I've been playing a bit of DC Universe lately. It's accessible... which is a plus to MMO dullards like me. But it's still easy to get mad at the paywall stuff. I might try a month subscription just to see some cool stuff.

I put Champions down for a while. Something about it is just kinda boring to me, at least the combat of DCU tries to be action oriented.

I am severely disappointed with NCSoft and their closure of COX.

Simply said, I enjoyed both aforementioned games as substitutes to the late City of Heroes. Mostly Champions Online since I am a stickler when it comes to customisation within MMO's and some other genres, MMO's mostly. It had wide variety and potential, something that DCUO really did seem to lack, however the number of cosmetic styles you could earn put off that notion for a while at best. Champions Online also kept that traditional MMO play mechanic of hotkeys around, which, basically, I'm used to that more than using my mouse solely for combat with only a small number of abilities, which, admittedly was fun but got tiring quite fast as I like a little more variety, which, again is what Champs had in bucketloads. The combos in DCUO were pretty neat though. Mixing power types in Champs was costly, but at level 40 you could easily have a chainsaw arm toting, lightning arcing hero who looks like a homeless man, also that it was a closer cousin to City of Heroes, which is also why I enjoyed it more than DCUO for a time.

I stopped playing come the time of Perfect World International's presence within development, and went back to CoH, but... yeah, NCSoft decided it would suffer the same fate as Tabula Rasa... without the assumption of developer neglect, but just the pure purpose of profit. And I did tear-up sometimes at the emotional videos people had passionately created after the sad news; DCUO is fun, only for a time. And Champions Online is fine, well... used to be. I can't believe I used to complain when Atari had the reins. Now look who's in charge. Lockboxes anybody? Champs was good for a time, when F2P came in, I daresay, is what rang the death bell. 

The Kickstarter has me hopeful City of Heroes can make a spiritual return, even some developers from Paragon have chipped-in and some are supporting the project.

Made a Villian on DC Online last night on the PvE section on character creation.  Enjoyed customizing the avatar but there seemed to be a lack of variety instead of variation, like 7 types of the same helmet!

Thought I'd grind a bit before Joe streams it!

Yeah after trying both it seems pretty clear that DCUO just seems more appealing to me than Champions Online. Both have a sheer amount of problems and paywalls. But NCSoft seems more cheap and ineffectual, caring more about games like Neverwinter, while at least some of SOE is trying to keep players interested in DCUO.

DCUO actually provides you with the entire base game for free, the "paywalls" are for DLC and content made post the free to play patch that includes new powers and the current endgame content.

Champions Online has the potential to be more awesome but it's more expensive overall and limits everything if you're not paying from the start, I just plain dislike that model... a LOT, it's the kind of model that tries to convince you to go subscription by withholding basic stuff that was in the basic game.

DCUO actually provides you with the entire base game for free, the "paywalls" are for DLC and content made post the free to play patch that includes new powers and the current endgame content.

But I really can't get over how you can only have $1500 with a free account. I have a "premium" membership and I still can only hold $2000.

I do like how they don't lock base game content like Champions does, but there's some decisions that I just can't defend. Champions is just more blatant and moneygrabbing with how they do it.

You don't really need more than 2 thousand unless you're going to play the auction house to be honest.

I actually got back into DCUO recently, well actually because of the AA. I used to play CoH way back in the day and it was amazing, at least until end game.  Stumbled upon Champions and played that for a while, but the paywalls were just... infuriating, and the play style, while great on customization, just got pretty  bland for me fairly quickly. I don't hate it, but I have anyone to really play with so it just sort of sits there.

I went villian PVE with DCUO, that's just more fun to me. I didn't want to jump back into a game i'd forgotten everything about and deal with getting randomly ganked. If some of us are into DCUO and it's not "official" I'd still like to join up in game and pew pew. If anyone else is up for that, you can add Maydenn and we'll go from there.

I am re-downloading Dc universe lets play hero or villain  

I was just thinking of getting back into DCUO, it wasn't a terrible game. There aren't many good Superhero RPG's out there, and that makes me sad. Don't they understand that there's probably a market for it? I think a game that has a similar art style to GW2 would work well in a Superhero RPG. I would love a good Superhero RPG, I mean, who doesn't want to make their own superhero? Playing that hero, or villain, in a game would be an excellent experience. 

Ive played both CoX and CO and I do miss CoX more. I hope the phoenix project can get their game up by 2015 without any legal issues, since they are basically resurrecting someone else's property. For lack of a way to put that. It will be interesting to see if they pull it off

Champions is pay to win, hands down, and i'll explain why. As a free to play person you have a set build that you get, and can't alter it at all. Now this would be fine if it wasn't for one key thing... If you are subbed you can pick and chose what you get, AND you get MORE powers than a free to play person (3 i think) so you can optimise your build perfectly, while the F2P is stuck with a generic and objectively weaker build. They also put the best travel powers behind a pay wall, so that you have to shell out even MORE cash. That, combined with the dull gameplay, and really lack of anything to do just turns me off it. The only redeaming part is the customation, because you can create nearly any hero you can think of.

I got back into DCUO and even subbed for a month just to try some content I didn't have before. Just a heads up, Angry Army wasn't taken as a League, and I have it reserved for IF it gets made into an official game. Add me on steam if you wanna team up. I currently play Villian on PvP.

Guise feel free to add me on Steam (auronkast) if you want to play DCUO. I haven't logged in since an eternity ago though and my main(s) are level 30 but I do have some low level characters I could whip out.

Not even MMOs, there's a distinct lack of good games in general that let you create your own superhero, since CoH fell. (Though, I admit to having trouble with CoH in some ways, too. It was very group-mandatory experience, at least in the early days. When you play a superhero, you want to feel powerful on your own first, then build up to the bigger threats that need a team.) 

I love DCUO, but others have said it, it sometimes feels like a sidekick game. (Also, it's far too action-oriented to me. I prefer my RPGs to be strategic rather than how fast I can click... admittedly, mainly because I suck at action games. I play them, but stick to easy difficulty and have limited stamina to play for long.) 

By my count, the official poll for if DCUO is supported by the Angry Army or not is short by about 11 votes. Looking at past polls it seems like the results have to be a majority of "Yes" votes that add up to more than 100 voters, even 115 votes was enough to support a few games. If you guys want to play it in an official AJSA league, make sure you vote in the Official DCUO poll.

Seems that there's very little love for Champions here, I'm glad it's not just me. Champions isn't technically a bad game, in fact in a few ways it's probably a superior game. But it feel like everything that makes it a freemium game bogs it down and makes it less enjoyable. At least with DC I can kinda jump into it.

I've never played City of Heroes, but I will say this - if the game was as great as people claim it to be, then it would still be around. CoH lasted a pretty long while...something like 10 years or thereabouts which is unheard of in the MMO market.

As for me, I prefer DC Universe Online. The character customization is awesome, the powers/weapon style combos are great, exploration is encouraged and rewarded, you get to play with and fight against your favorite Heroes/Villains, and if you're into PvP then DCUO has some of the better PvP content than most MMOs going today.

There are drawbacks and flaws with the game, but there are drawbacks and flaws with every game...especially MMOs. Definitely keep DCUO around as it'll be fun to play with friends (or solo!) from time to time :)