• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaz32

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes review. Definitely not a glorified demo.

13 posts in this topic

Next up in the review is the game that everyone is on the fence about: Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes. Hopefully after this review, you'll decide whether you want to buy the game or not.

METAL-GEAR-SOLID-V-GROUND-ZEROES-BREAKS-

So the game's story takes place right after Peace Walker. I will put spoiler alert in case people haven't play Peace Walker yet. There's a "backstory section" you can see to recap the events in Peace Walker.

Paz and Chico are captured by the enemy troops that called themselves the XOF squad lead by Skullface, and it's up to Big Boss to get them both out. Meanwhile in Outer Heaven or Mother Base, there will be a planned meeting by the UN to inspect whether the Mother Base has any nuclear material or not, so Miller and Huey has to hide what they found back in Peace Walker before the meeting, and hopefully Big Boss can return from rescuing Chico and Paz before the meeting starts.

The graphic of this game is fucking beautiful. The new FOX engine makes everything looks so realistic, even on PS3 that I played. It has less lightning than the Next gen consoles and it is rough around the edges, but overall it looks really2 good. Goes to show that PS3 & Xbox360 gen still got what it takes to have great looking graphics.

The gameplay of this game is pretty much equated like this:

MGS 4 + Peace Walker + GTA + Farcry + Last of Us = MGSV. It plays most of the time like MGS4, only you don't have to switch camos and there's more varied movements you can do compared to before. You can climb higher than before to upper platforms, now you can go back to take cover behind walls like in old MGS instead of pressing the triangle button, use binoculars to mark enemy movements, sprint and do a dive to avoid enemy detection, drive vehicles, use a slow motion reflex mode if you get detected by enemies to silence them before they call backup, and get assistance from a helicopter to rescue hostages or assist you. If you get detected by enemies from far away, there's this Last of Us esque sight display that will tell you where the enemies are. And if you want to use the map, you use this iDroid which projects it in front of you. Watch out when looking because it's all in real time. The game uses regenerating health system, and if you get hurt, you can use first aid spray like in Resident Evil. It's funny to see Big Boss use the spray and scream afterwards. How you play depends on you. If you want to run and gun or just sneak around, it's your call. It's freaking awesome to be able to do these things and still do things you used to do in Peace Walker and MGS4.

Right off the bat, I can certainly say that the rumour saying that the game is only 2 hours is only for the first story mission if you don't explore for various side contents. It doesn't include all the other contents you get after you finish it. The game plays like this: at the start you get 1 main story mission and 5 locked missions. At first I thought those 5 are the next story missions, but nope, those are extra side ops missions that you get right after the main story. The main story can be beaten around 1 or 2 hour or so, but there's extra things you can do in this mission like rescuing hostages, collecting tapes and collecting 9 XOF patches which will definitely encourage replayability, and after beating the main missions you will unlock the other 4. The 5th mission will be unlocked after you do collect 9 patches spread across the main story map, and it's the exclusive missions if you either have the Ps or Xbox. People who played the past MGS games will love the PS exclusive mission. These 5 missions can be beaten in around 3 - 4 hours. Each missions will be graded based on your playstyle, and you'll get the highest rank if you don't kill anyone and you don't get detected. There's weapons and skins to unlock in this game depending on things you do, which difficulty you play the missions in and what your rank is, so you'll definitely want to replay the games over and over to get all of them. I'll say in total if you try and unlock everything, you'll play the game for 10+ hours to get them. One of the extra mission has a cameo that is so hilarious that I can't spoil it. Let's just say it involves 1 secret character from Peace Walker, it mimics the E3 trailer with Miller and you'll laugh hard when you see it.

There's three things I don't like about this game. The first are the tape collectibles you can listen to. Fuck me, the things recorded in this are just..... Horrible. It's like as if the dialogues are written by hentai guro artists. You'll know what I'm talking about once you listen to them. The second is that the story mission should have been played as the third mission in the game. Have the long side missions become part of the main mission and make the story mission the 3rd mission you play. It just feels right that way raher than playing the story mission first and play the side missions next. The third is there is no Sins of the Father song that's in the E3 trailer, so most likely I can't download it yet till Phantom Pain.

Damn it! That song is so awesome! I want to download the full unedited copy now!

Overall, a damn good game and a great re-introduction to the MGS series again as well as a sneak preview to Phantom Pain with lots of collectibles to keep yourself busy for hours. I say the game's $30 or $20 price if you download the game is justified for the things you get to do and unlock in the game which will take 10+ hours. $20 to download is obviously the better deal. But in the end it's up to you.

If you don't want to risk spending money for this game, just watch the gameplay footage on Youtube. For those that are planning to buy it and are on the fence, just download it for cheaper on PSN or Xbox Live, or wait for the price to go down. For those that don't care about the price and just want to buy it immediately or have bought it, you'll love every minute of this game. Phantom Pain won't be released until 2015 so this game will prepare you for the 200 times bigger than this content you'll get later. I'll give this game the rating or "so awesome you'll play this game again and again".

DestinyDecade likes this

Can't really claim its not a glorified demo until THE PHANTOM PAIN (By Moby Dick studios) comes out, cause if that game turns out to essentially be this one, except longer and with a broader field of content than this one essentially was a glorified paid demo.

Can't really claim its not a glorified demo until THE PHANTOM PAIN (By Moby Dick studios) comes out, cause if that game turns out to essentially be this one, except longer and with a broader field of content than this one essentially was a glorified paid demo.

Considering that this game's main story mode has extra collectable patches + cassete tapes that's just, creepy as hell, 5 side missions that's 2-4 hours long, unlockable weapons, skins and the 5th side mission that's quite awesome, I'll say this game isn't a glorified demo. It's like Dead Rising 2 Case Zero, only longer. It's more like an indie game title. Phantom Pain will be waaayy longer than this one. This game is around 10 hours long if you complete everything. Phantom Pain is most likely 200 hours + if the claim is true. Fuck me, that's a lot of hours. Better wait till 2015 to find out. In the meantime, keep yourself busy with Infamous Second Son, Dark Souls 2 and Watch Dogs. You're lucky you got your PC and consoles. I don't have them with me right now.

Here's my 2 cents of the game.

I really want to give this game a high score but I can't. It isn't a bad game. I loved ever second I get to play as Snake again. This is post Peacewalker, so I got all the references and reunited with characters from the previous game BUT...there's a lot of half ass laziness in this game that is inexcusable.

Peacewalker is a PSP game. It is limited to the technology of the PSP so we get to see a lot of narrow and reused sets in missions. Apparently in Ground Zeroes and hinted in Phantom Pain, this seems to be the case as well. Now the entire map is big and open for us to approach it however we want, it is the same damn map over and over again. It doesn't make sense in the context of the missions. Why would I go back to a base I just blew up in a previous mission. It seems bullshit to call each of these side ops Pseudo reenactments of events because that's just another word for too lazy to give us different maps.

Game play is good, though the cover mechanics needs work. There is an incredible lack of customization in weapons like in MGS4. Weapon choices apparently is more like FPSs where you can only have 2 types of weapons. Now I don't bark up realism with the other games. In MGS4, I got to carry ALL the weapons with me everywhere. It broke the game a bit because I had too many guns, but I loved that aspect of MGS. Also where is my knife? I can clearly see Snake having a knife but not option to equip it?

All in all, my issues with this game is mostly why did Kojima have to build it separate from the main game, the level design, and how it is a bit restrictive

Peacewalker is a PSP game. It is limited to the technology of the PSP so we get to see a lot of narrow and reused sets in missions. Apparently in Ground Zeroes and hinted in Phantom Pain, this seems to be the case as well. Now the entire map is big and open for us to approach it however we want, it is the same damn map over and over again. It doesn't make sense in the context of the missions. Why would I go back to a base I just blew up in a previous mission. It seems bullshit to call each of these side ops Pseudo reenactments of events because that's just another word for too lazy to give us different maps.

That's why I said the side missions should be included as the main story missions and have the story mission be the third or fourth mission you play right after the other things. That'll extend the main story's length and will feel more appropriate than starting with the main mission and then play the side missions.

Did you get to the last mission where everything turns into MGS1?

Darn internet, it screws up with the chat box and it posted the same thing twice. why did it post twice??

I've beaten the main story, which is good, but short and a lot of cutscenes were in the trailers and pre releases.

I just personally think GZ is really lazy because the side missions are the same as the ones in Peacewalker where they reuse the same levels in the story mode. Peacewalker has an excuse where it's a PSP game but GZ is a full console game. It seems utterly lazy and repetitive to revisit the same base over and over again. By the 2nd side mission, you would know where enemies might spawn to take them out or avoid them.

I got only mild enjoyment on the side missions. I can't chose my loadout or how Snake looks. MGS4 has the octo camo, and MGS3 and Peacewalker had different camo swaps. GZ is sorta like Splinter Cell or the older MGS games.

When it comes to gameplay again, the weapons feel weak when shooting at people. It takes too many bullets to drop a guy with the assault rifle and the silencer degrades too fast compared to previous games and don't give me the realism excuse there cause I know for a fact real life suppressors don't degrade like that.

The one little nit-pick that bothers me is how Snake holds his rifle or how when he's not holding it. What is keeping it on his body? There should be a sling attached but it floats off his body. We're on the next gen here and you're telling me Kojima's team doesn't have the know how to render a sling and have it move around when Snake moves? Bullshit. In previous games when you have a weapon equipped, Snake is constantly holding it.

You already said that the first time. Have you unlocked the mission where everything is like MGS1? Or are you playing the xbox version?

When it comes to gameplay again, the weapons feel weak when shooting at people. It takes too many bullets to drop a guy with the assault rifle and the silencer degrades too fast compared to previous games and don't give me the realism excuse there cause I know for a fact real life suppressors don't degrade like that.

Headshots easily take care of this issue you have.

Headshots easily take care of this issue you have.

And CQC. I prefer that and tranquiliser gun than shooting. I'm aiming for the S rank. Pretty hard to do considering the enemies are more smarter this time. And since I don't have a PS3, I have to go to the local game store every time I want to play it.

Next up in the review is the game that everyone is on the fence about: Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes. Hopefully after this review, you'll decide whether you want to buy the game or not.

METAL-GEAR-SOLID-V-GROUND-ZEROES-BREAKS-

So the game's story takes place right after Peace Walker. I will put spoiler alert in case people haven't play Peace Walker yet. There's a "backstory section" you can see to recap the events in Peace Walker.

Paz and Chico are captured by the enemy troops that called themselves the XOF squad lead by Skullface, and it's up to Big Boss to get them both out. Meanwhile in Outer Heaven or Mother Base, there will be a planned meeting by the UN to inspect whether the Mother Base has any nuclear material or not, so Miller and Huey has to hide what they found back in Peace Walker before the meeting, and hopefully Big Boss can return from rescuing Chico and Paz before the meeting starts.

The graphic of this game is fucking beautiful. The new FOX engine makes everything looks so realistic, even on PS3 that I played. It has less lightning than the Next gen consoles and it is rough around the edges, but overall it looks really2 good. Goes to show that PS3 & Xbox360 gen still got what it takes to have great looking graphics.

The gameplay of this game is pretty much equated like this:

MGS 4 + Peace Walker + GTA + Farcry + Last of Us = MGSV. It plays most of the time like MGS4, only you don't have to switch camos and there's more varied movements you can do compared to before. You can climb higher than before to upper platforms, now you can go back to take cover behind walls like in old MGS instead of pressing the triangle button, use binoculars to mark enemy movements, sprint and do a dive to avoid enemy detection, drive vehicles, use a slow motion reflex mode if you get detected by enemies to silence them before they call backup, and get assistance from a helicopter to rescue hostages or assist you. If you get detected by enemies from far away, there's this Last of Us esque sight display that will tell you where the enemies are. And if you want to use the map, you use this iDroid which projects it in front of you. Watch out when looking because it's all in real time. The game uses regenerating health system, and if you get hurt, you can use first aid spray like in Resident Evil. It's funny to see Big Boss use the spray and scream afterwards. How you play depends on you. If you want to run and gun or just sneak around, it's your call. It's freaking awesome to be able to do these things and still do things you used to do in Peace Walker and MGS4.

Right off the bat, I can certainly say that the rumour saying that the game is only 2 hours is only for the first story mission if you don't explore for various side contents. It doesn't include all the other contents you get after you finish it. The game plays like this: at the start you get 1 main story mission and 5 locked missions. At first I thought those 5 are the next story missions, but nope, those are extra side ops missions that you get right after the main story. The main story can be beaten around 1 or 2 hour or so, but there's extra things you can do in this mission like rescuing hostages, collecting tapes and collecting 9 XOF patches which will definitely encourage replayability, and after beating the main missions you will unlock the other 4. The 5th mission will be unlocked after you do collect 9 patches spread across the main story map, and it's the exclusive missions if you either have the Ps or Xbox. People who played the past MGS games will love the PS exclusive mission. These 5 missions can be beaten in around 3 - 4 hours. Each missions will be graded based on your playstyle, and you'll get the highest rank if you don't kill anyone and you don't get detected. There's weapons and skins to unlock in this game depending on things you do, which difficulty you play the missions in and what your rank is, so you'll definitely want to replay the games over and over to get all of them. I'll say in total if you try and unlock everything, you'll play the game for 10+ hours to get them. One of the extra mission has a cameo that is so hilarious that I can't spoil it. Let's just say it involves 1 secret character from Peace Walker, it mimics the E3 trailer with Miller and you'll laugh hard when you see it.

There's three things I don't like about this game. The first are the tape collectibles you can listen to. Fuck me, the things recorded in this are just..... Horrible. It's like as if the dialogues are written by hentai guro artists. You'll know what I'm talking about once you listen to them. The second is that the story mission should have been played as the third mission in the game. Have the long side missions become part of the main mission and make the story mission the 3rd mission you play. It just feels right that way raher than playing the story mission first and play the side missions next. The third is there is no Sins of the Father song that's in the E3 trailer, so most likely I can't download it yet till Phantom Pain.

Damn it! That song is so awesome! I want to download the full unedited copy now!

Overall, a damn good game and a great re-introduction to the MGS series again as well as a sneak preview to Phantom Pain with lots of collectibles to keep yourself busy for hours. I say the game's $30 or $20 price if you download the game is justified for the things you get to do and unlock in the game which will take 10+ hours. $20 to download is obviously the better deal. But in the end it's up to you.

If you don't want to risk spending money for this game, just watch the gameplay footage on Youtube. For those that are planning to buy it and are on the fence, just download it for cheaper on PSN or Xbox Live, or wait for the price to go down. For those that don't care about the price and just want to buy it immediately or have bought it, you'll love every minute of this game. Phantom Pain won't be released until 2015 so this game will prepare you for the 200 times bigger than this content you'll get later. I'll give this game the rating or "so awesome you'll play this game again and again".

I enjoyed it though I still have much to do to get all 14 trophies.

I enjoyed it though I still have much to do to get all 14 trophies.

Have fun with hunting them all! Man, you're lucky you can play this game at home. I have to go to the game store in the local mall just to play this game. On the bright side, I can play this game for free, but I prefer playing it on PS3 after I download this game for $20, rather than right now where I don't have my console.

Have fun with hunting them all! Man, you're lucky you can play this game at home. I have to go to the game store in the local mall just to play this game. On the bright side, I can play this game for free, but I prefer playing it on PS3 after I download this game for $20, rather than right now where I don't have my console.

Good point.